Zombieland

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
I hate to fuel the fade is negative fire, but I thought WWZ was mediocre. It stretched really hard to make the survivors survive because of their differences from mainstream life. The soldier woman practically came out and said she survived because of her vagina, and the blind guy survived because he was blind, and the otaku survived because he was socially inept, etc.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Yeah, Zombie works have been getting consistently better now that directors and writers realize that they can be used to tell serious stories, full of metaphor and nuance. I think The Walking Dead is going to be a real turning point... if it does well, we might be able to get a World War Z mini-series on HBO or something. After that, who knows that the future will bring?
World War Z is going to be a movie starring Brad Pitt.[/QUOTE]

And written by JMS! :aaahhh:[/QUOTE]

Too bad it won't be written by Max Brook's father. It would be much more entertaining that way. I can just imagine zombie Hitler tap dancing across the screen.

You know this is giving me a great idea for a thread...

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Fade needs a place where can ask him about things we love and whether he hates it or gives it a thumbs up...

I thought Zombieland was a fun roadtrip kinda movie but it didn't honestly feel like a zombie movie. Certainly not compared to some of the best of the best.

For one, the running zombies. Which is an argument we've done to death. *ba dum PISH!*
Secondly, up until the finale, there was less than half a dozen dead heads on screen at any time. The whole point of zombies is their sheer numbers. Sure, it's easy to take one or two out.

Still, the whole thing was a hoot and I happily bought it used for less than $10.

fade

Staff member
I didn't mind the running zombies, because they made it clear that they weren't really zombies. I.E. they weren't dead.

I hate to fuel the fade is negative fire, but I thought WWZ was mediocre. It stretched really hard to make the survivors survive because of their differences from mainstream life. The soldier woman practically came out and said she survived because of her vagina, and the blind guy survived because he was blind, and the otaku survived because he was socially inept, etc.
Perhaps, but it also makes sense that people on the fringes of society would be the ones most apt at surviving without it. After all, the surest way to avoid infection is to avoid other people and people whom already had to deal with isolation in their pre-war lives were the ones best able to deal with that reality. Besides, what happened to the "normal" folks? They followed the instructions they were given or followed other groups... and most of those groups ether died of exposure, lack of food/water/medical treatment, or were devoured.

I WILL admit that the bit about the Otaku (who's actually a Hikkomori, not an Otaku. Brookes didn't do his research it seems) was incredible stupid. I mean, his parents just LEFT him in his room without even telling him what had happened? I mean, I could believe it if they were secretly hoping he would die or something, but that's assuming facts not in the book.

O

Oddbot

Secondly, up until the finale, there was less than half a dozen dead heads on screen at any time. The whole point of zombies is their sheer numbers. Sure, it's easy to take one or two out.
That only rings true for the slow kind, IMO. I'd think fast zombies are plenty threatening in a small pack. But then again I'm no zombie purist, and in defense of the fast ones, well, 28 Days Later and REC were both really awesome movies.:hm:

fade

Staff member
Every time Columbus talked about the origin. It was a variant of Mad Cow Disease that cause brain swelling, rage, and an uncontrollable appetite, to paraphrase. It started with a bad truck stop hamburger. They said it like 3 or 4 times.

I love love zombie movies and I really don't mind if they're sow or fast it they fit the movie they're in. They're old kinds of zombies and as Fade pointed out these weren't actual zombies.
I love zombie flicks too. The source (undead, disease, whatever) doesn't matter to me. The speed doesn't matter. I don't two shits about the gore, either, while some zombie fans demand it. It's the dramatic tension between a horde of antagonists and a small group of protagonists has always entertained me. I just want to see the story play out with the few vs. many zombie theme.

Add in the fact that I found Zombieland genuinely hilarious and the movie was a winner for me.

fade

Staff member
I wanted to like it. I really did. I tried to like it. I never laughed, though. The corny interjected graphics were silly and done. The rest of the jokes seemed to be "I'm the opposite of my outward appearance. Laugh at me!" And I sincerely hope they weren't trying to surprise us by revealing that Buck was actually Tallahassee's kid. That was pretty obvious the first time he said it, puppy video or not. If I was hoping for anything going in, it was more of the zombie kill of the week stuff, and less uninspired buddy film. Yeah, I understand that was the point, but maybe that's mine--even the plot was tired. In the first five minutes you know they're going to end up tripping off family style into the sunset.

Contrast this with, say, Night of the Living Dead (my all time favorite zombie movie)--it's still a character story. Everyone feels genuinely frightened. Out of all horror movies I've ever seen, it just feels the most realistic. They have no idea what's going on. Scientists don't know. The local fuzz thinks they have everything under control. No one can accept the risen dead are zombies. And human tension runs high in the house, culminating in the murder of one of the survivors by the others, the BBQ of the young couple, and Barbara rushing out into her brother's arms. That's a good character driven zombie story to me.

Perhaps, but it also makes sense that people on the fringes of society would be the ones most apt at surviving without it. After all, the surest way to avoid infection is to avoid other people and people whom already had to deal with isolation in their pre-war lives were the ones best able to deal with that reality. Besides, what happened to the "normal" folks? They followed the instructions they were given or followed other groups... and most of those groups ether died of exposure, lack of food/water/medical treatment, or were devoured.

I WILL admit that the bit about the Otaku (who's actually a Hikkomori, not an Otaku. Brookes didn't do his research it seems) was incredible stupid. I mean, his parents just LEFT him in his room without even telling him what had happened? I mean, I could believe it if they were secretly hoping he would die or something, but that's assuming facts not in the book.[/QUOTE]

I think the character assumed that the outbreak struck really quickly in his city and his parents were caught in it while they were at work or away from the house.

After all, he boasted about know what was happening and when in Japan via the internet. Since there was no indication of it hitting his city yet when he went to sleep that evening he assumed everything was okay. He was also very isolated and wrapped up in his own little internet world. He never even thought of other people before or what existed outside his room so he never noticed his parents absence, or the chaos outside his building. It was only when he opened the front door for the first time in God knows how long that it hit him that he had fucked himself.

His parents never left him...he left the world.

His parents never left him...he left the world.
I suppose this works, and it's also entirely possible the reason they never tried to get him out was because they were killed long before they had a chance (like while they were at work or something).

Yes, it was. I really need to watch [REC] 2.
I liked it about as well as the first one. I was actually pretty surprised at the direction they took the plot in.[/QUOTE]

I loved the first one (as well as the American re-make). I'm trying to be patient for the sequel to come out on Netflix so I can watch it in my living room in surround sound. Should be out any day now.

C

Chazwozel

I WILL admit that the bit about the Otaku (who's actually a Hikkomori, not an Otaku. Brookes didn't do his research it seems) was incredible stupid. I mean, his parents just LEFT him in his room without even telling him what had happened? I mean, I could believe it if they were secretly hoping he would die or something, but that's assuming facts not in the book.[/QUOTE]

His parents (it is assumed) were killed at work or at the grocery store by zombies.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Yes, it was. I really need to watch [REC] 2.
I liked it about as well as the first one. I was actually pretty surprised at the direction they took the plot in.[/QUOTE]

I loved the first one (as well as the American re-make). I'm trying to be patient for the sequel to come out on Netflix so I can watch it in my living room in surround sound. Should be out any day now.[/QUOTE]

[Rec]2 is kinda boring, it actually reminds me a lot of Resident Evil 2 (the movie), in terms of pace and acting.

Status
Not open for further replies.