Export thread

Zombieland

fade

fade

Not sure why the old thread is closed, but I just saw this.

Eh, I didn't like it. I didn't hate it, but I did think it was fairly boring. It had too much fake excitement in it, which was curious, because despite the energetic music and frenetic camera, the actors could best be described as "tired". Esp. Bill Murray. He seemed almost bored. I don't understand all the praise his scene got. He pops in for 2 minutes, says what just about any other schmoe might say (seemingly fighting a big yawn the whole time), and gets lauded for it. The plot was even tired. Like it couldn't get up any momentum. We had none of the scary fun of a zombie movie, and the script really reached for laughs that weren't there. I never laughed once, and the only scenes close to funny were on the trailer already. It felt like a guy trying to run a 5K after running a marathon.

A comedy zombie movie will be invariably invite comparison to Shaun of the Dead, but there really isn't one. SotD was clever, witty, and frightening in spite of the comedy. This was none of the above.

(Yes, Amy, I said I disliked something. I also said I liked something (SotD) and I posted a fan thread on Lost in the last few days. You always seem to preferentially remember the negatives. "The evil that men do lives after them / the good is oft interréd with their bones." or something.)

Rob King

Rob King

I thought Zombieland was pretty great, but I'm not one who particularly cares for scary movies so that might explain a bit of it. I maintain that, since it was not much of a horror film, classifying Zombieland a "Zombie Movie" is (strange as it might seem) misleading.

I can kind of get what you're saying about tired actors. Bill Murray was fun, but I think I'm with you when you say you don't understand the praise he got for it. Let's be honest: the praise was for him being Bill Murray, not for anything he really did. The rest of them ... I just excused the tired-ness as intentional, seeing as they've been living in Zombieland for a few months at that point. But maybe I'm making excuses.

I guess what it comes down to is that it was a movie about family and community, with a zombie outbreak being the backdrop. It's not exactly a typical formula, especially when there is little/no focus on fear, so it does strike me as the sort of thing one would either love or care very little for.

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

I did like Tallahassee a lot, though. His gung-ho attitude toward zombie-killing was a lot of fun, and I liked his elder brother/cool uncle sort of relationship with Columbus & the others.

Element 117

(Yes, Amy, I said I disliked something. I also said I liked something (SotD) and I posted a fan thread on Lost in the last few days. You always seem to preferentially remember the negatives. "The evil that men do lives after them / the good is oft interréd with their bones." or something.)
I made a guess as I clicked on the thread title. This little tidbit here? Fucking bonus, man. Made my day.

Troll

Troll

You are wrong, good sir. According to the rules of the internet I am now required to make personal attacks as a result of your differing opinion. Have at thee!

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I saw it, I liked it well enough, I laughed a few times, then it ended. And I have no desire really to see or think about it again. It was just pretty okay. I think I would have laughed a lot harder if I didn't know there was a huge
celebrity cameo
in there. But oh well.

fade

fade

Re: Character driven:

Yeah, I got that, I really did. Honestly, though, that doesn't change my opinion on the acting and production, which is what really brought the movie down. It was like barbiturate users at a rave.

Re: Not liking it:

Opinions. Everyone has them. I like eleventy kajillion things. I just find it kind of boring to write about them in the same way it's more fun to read about the villain than the hero.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Ha. Billy Murray acting tired. HA!

Have you seen Bill Murray act in anything? He's a very low energy guy.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Opinions. Everyone has them. I like eleventy kajillion things. I just find it kind of boring to write about them in the same way it's more fun to read about the villain than the hero.
I disagree with you about Zombieland, but I totally get this sentiment. It's a lot more fun to write about something you dislike, and why you dislike it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Fade dislikes something... else. Lots of that in the pile. I feel shocked.

Espy

Espy

Ha. Billy Murray acting tired. HA!

Have you seen Bill Murray act in anything? He's a very low energy guy.
lol, exactly my thoughts.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

What the heck, I thought I was the resident elitist that hated everything. I never got that vibe from fade at all.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

He's not elitist--that's you, definitely. Just a few people notice that fade doesn't seem to like much of anything. He doesn't rub it in anyone's face or talk down about people for it; he just seems a bit negative.

Jiarn

Thankfully that's what opinions are for.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

He's not elitist--that's you, definitely. Just a few people notice that fade doesn't seem to like much of anything. He doesn't rub it in anyone's face or talk down about people for it; he just seems a bit negative.
He does...fade into the background a bit.

:rimshot:

/runs

Troll

Troll

I think his avatar is perfect in this regard.

fade

fade

I still think you guys are focusing on the dislikes. If I went back through my post history, I bet it's evenly balanced between likes and dislikes. I think the difference between me and other people is that I have no problem saying that I don't like something, period. Like escuchion said, if you like it, I don't mind. Hell, I even care. The problem with HF is that you guys don't say, "that's cool. I do like it, and here's why I like it." Too many people here go, "No, your dislike is wrong, and here's why." There's a big difference. I like discussing differences of opinion, just don't take my return discussion as an attack or anger. It's just talk, baby.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

And like I said in the first post, I'm hardly the first person to notice people preferentially remembering the negatives. People from Jesus to Shakespeare to pretty every married man ever has noticed it.

Rob King

Rob King

For what it's worth, I never noticed you as a downer or anything.

All the same, I'll always feel free to disagree. Maybe that might come out as 'Here's why you're wrong,' but I hope it never comes off as 'You do not get to have an opinion!'

Dave

Dave

Fade is a downer?

How the hell did I miss this?

Cajungal

Cajungal

I know I've picked on you before and called you "cranky" but you don't just talk about things you don't like. Two of your other recent threads are about something you like, so there's that. You're pretty good at communicating why you don't like something without being offensive. Although I disagree about the cameo... I think that sort of laid-back feeling is present in a lot of his roles.

Chazwozel

I love Fade.

Jay

Jay

At least this thread isn't about how great Mystic River is.

Anyways, as a person who's huge into the zombie gendre, I thought the movie did perfectly as long as you know that the movie never took itself seriously, enjoyed the innovative ways they killed zombies, didn't mind the michael cera look a like and get a hard on at looking at emma stone.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Ugh I love Mystic River. I should rewatch it.

Element 117

Mind you. Fade is kick ass. See his facial hair pics.

Steve

Steve

I enjoyed Zombieland. I love the slow motion zombie kills. That should be a staple in zombie movies from here on out. I thought this was better than any of the Day/Dawn/etc of the Dead movies but not as good as Shaun of the Dead.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, Zombie works have been getting consistently better now that directors and writers realize that they can be used to tell serious stories, full of metaphor and nuance. I think The Walking Dead is going to be a real turning point... if it does well, we might be able to get a World War Z mini-series on HBO or something. After that, who knows that the future will bring?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I think it was more, ah, family-accessible than Shaun of the Dead. If I had a friend who I wanted to initiate into zombie films who was really ambivalent about the traditional gore-factor, Zombieland might be the one I would show them, first.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Yeah, Zombie works have been getting consistently better now that directors and writers realize that they can be used to tell serious stories, full of metaphor and nuance. I think The Walking Dead is going to be a real turning point... if it does well, we might be able to get a World War Z mini-series on HBO or something. After that, who knows that the future will bring?
World War Z is going to be a movie starring Brad Pitt.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

World War Z is going to be a movie starring Brad Pitt.[/QUOTE]

And written by JMS! :aaahhh:

Troll

Troll

I thought this was better than any of the Day/Dawn/etc of the Dead movies...
Even the original Dawn of the Dead?

Jiarn

I'm looking to find a negative in your statement and can't seem to do it.

Also I thought it was being financed by him and Angelina's production company and not starring in.

Jiarn

Chazwozel

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Why is World War Z getting a movie? The "many stories, many story tellers" thing would have been better suited to a 30-60 minute episodic mini-series. Now it's doomed to ether discard the interesting viewpoints that made the book so awesome or it's going to be a complete re-write.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I was under the impression it was getting a documentary treatment, but I can't remember where I heard that.

Also, Zombieland was worth watching for the beautiful opening credits, but it suffered terribly from hearing how awesome it was. By the time I finally saw it, it didn't live up to the hype, which, as someone constantly two years behind in movies, is the scourge of my existence.

Bright side: I know enough to skip Transformers, even when it's on TV.

fade

fade

I hate to fuel the fade is negative fire, but I thought WWZ was mediocre. It stretched really hard to make the survivors survive because of their differences from mainstream life. The soldier woman practically came out and said she survived because of her vagina, and the blind guy survived because he was blind, and the otaku survived because he was socially inept, etc.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Wasabi Poptart

And written by JMS! :aaahhh:[/QUOTE]

Too bad it won't be written by Max Brook's father. It would be much more entertaining that way. I can just imagine zombie Hitler tap dancing across the screen.

Espy

Espy

You know this is giving me a great idea for a thread...

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Fade needs a place where can ask him about things we love and whether he hates it or gives it a thumbs up...

Espy

Espy

BOOM: http://www.halforums.com/forum/t14509/

I await Fades decree.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I thought Zombieland was a fun roadtrip kinda movie but it didn't honestly feel like a zombie movie. Certainly not compared to some of the best of the best.

For one, the running zombies. Which is an argument we've done to death. *ba dum PISH!*
Secondly, up until the finale, there was less than half a dozen dead heads on screen at any time. The whole point of zombies is their sheer numbers. Sure, it's easy to take one or two out.

Still, the whole thing was a hoot and I happily bought it used for less than $10.

fade

fade

I didn't mind the running zombies, because they made it clear that they weren't really zombies. I.E. they weren't dead.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I hate to fuel the fade is negative fire, but I thought WWZ was mediocre. It stretched really hard to make the survivors survive because of their differences from mainstream life. The soldier woman practically came out and said she survived because of her vagina, and the blind guy survived because he was blind, and the otaku survived because he was socially inept, etc.
Perhaps, but it also makes sense that people on the fringes of society would be the ones most apt at surviving without it. After all, the surest way to avoid infection is to avoid other people and people whom already had to deal with isolation in their pre-war lives were the ones best able to deal with that reality. Besides, what happened to the "normal" folks? They followed the instructions they were given or followed other groups... and most of those groups ether died of exposure, lack of food/water/medical treatment, or were devoured.

I WILL admit that the bit about the Otaku (who's actually a Hikkomori, not an Otaku. Brookes didn't do his research it seems) was incredible stupid. I mean, his parents just LEFT him in his room without even telling him what had happened? I mean, I could believe it if they were secretly hoping he would die or something, but that's assuming facts not in the book.

Oddbot

Secondly, up until the finale, there was less than half a dozen dead heads on screen at any time. The whole point of zombies is their sheer numbers. Sure, it's easy to take one or two out.
That only rings true for the slow kind, IMO. I'd think fast zombies are plenty threatening in a small pack. But then again I'm no zombie purist, and in defense of the fast ones, well, 28 Days Later and REC were both really awesome movies.:hm:

Troll

Troll

I didn't mind the running zombies, because they made it clear that they weren't really zombies. I.E. they weren't dead.
Wait, what? When did they do that?

fade

fade

Every time Columbus talked about the origin. It was a variant of Mad Cow Disease that cause brain swelling, rage, and an uncontrollable appetite, to paraphrase. It started with a bad truck stop hamburger. They said it like 3 or 4 times.

Troll

Troll

I... never noticed that. Or I just forgot. How did I miss that?

:doh:

Cajungal

Cajungal

In the beginning he mentioned the first victim eating a bad burger. I remember!

Troll

Troll

I love love zombie movies and I really don't mind if they're sow or fast it they fit the movie they're in. They're old kinds of zombies and as Fade pointed out these weren't actual zombies.
I love zombie flicks too. The source (undead, disease, whatever) doesn't matter to me. The speed doesn't matter. I don't two shits about the gore, either, while some zombie fans demand it. It's the dramatic tension between a horde of antagonists and a small group of protagonists has always entertained me. I just want to see the story play out with the few vs. many zombie theme.

Add in the fact that I found Zombieland genuinely hilarious and the movie was a winner for me.

fade

fade

I wanted to like it. I really did. I tried to like it. I never laughed, though. The corny interjected graphics were silly and done. The rest of the jokes seemed to be "I'm the opposite of my outward appearance. Laugh at me!" And I sincerely hope they weren't trying to surprise us by revealing that Buck was actually Tallahassee's kid. That was pretty obvious the first time he said it, puppy video or not. If I was hoping for anything going in, it was more of the zombie kill of the week stuff, and less uninspired buddy film. Yeah, I understand that was the point, but maybe that's mine--even the plot was tired. In the first five minutes you know they're going to end up tripping off family style into the sunset.

Contrast this with, say, Night of the Living Dead (my all time favorite zombie movie)--it's still a character story. Everyone feels genuinely frightened. Out of all horror movies I've ever seen, it just feels the most realistic. They have no idea what's going on. Scientists don't know. The local fuzz thinks they have everything under control. No one can accept the risen dead are zombies. And human tension runs high in the house, culminating in the murder of one of the survivors by the others, the BBQ of the young couple, and Barbara rushing out into her brother's arms. That's a good character driven zombie story to me.

Oddbot

Yes, it was. I really need to watch [REC] 2.
I liked it about as well as the first one. I was actually pretty surprised at the direction they took the plot in.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Perhaps, but it also makes sense that people on the fringes of society would be the ones most apt at surviving without it. After all, the surest way to avoid infection is to avoid other people and people whom already had to deal with isolation in their pre-war lives were the ones best able to deal with that reality. Besides, what happened to the "normal" folks? They followed the instructions they were given or followed other groups... and most of those groups ether died of exposure, lack of food/water/medical treatment, or were devoured.

I WILL admit that the bit about the Otaku (who's actually a Hikkomori, not an Otaku. Brookes didn't do his research it seems) was incredible stupid. I mean, his parents just LEFT him in his room without even telling him what had happened? I mean, I could believe it if they were secretly hoping he would die or something, but that's assuming facts not in the book.[/QUOTE]

I think the character assumed that the outbreak struck really quickly in his city and his parents were caught in it while they were at work or away from the house.

After all, he boasted about know what was happening and when in Japan via the internet. Since there was no indication of it hitting his city yet when he went to sleep that evening he assumed everything was okay. He was also very isolated and wrapped up in his own little internet world. He never even thought of other people before or what existed outside his room so he never noticed his parents absence, or the chaos outside his building. It was only when he opened the front door for the first time in God knows how long that it hit him that he had fucked himself.

His parents never left him...he left the world.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

His parents never left him...he left the world.
I suppose this works, and it's also entirely possible the reason they never tried to get him out was because they were killed long before they had a chance (like while they were at work or something).

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I liked it about as well as the first one. I was actually pretty surprised at the direction they took the plot in.[/QUOTE]

I loved the first one (as well as the American re-make). I'm trying to be patient for the sequel to come out on Netflix so I can watch it in my living room in surround sound. Should be out any day now.

Chazwozel

I WILL admit that the bit about the Otaku (who's actually a Hikkomori, not an Otaku. Brookes didn't do his research it seems) was incredible stupid. I mean, his parents just LEFT him in his room without even telling him what had happened? I mean, I could believe it if they were secretly hoping he would die or something, but that's assuming facts not in the book.[/QUOTE]

His parents (it is assumed) were killed at work or at the grocery store by zombies.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

I liked it about as well as the first one. I was actually pretty surprised at the direction they took the plot in.[/QUOTE]

I loved the first one (as well as the American re-make). I'm trying to be patient for the sequel to come out on Netflix so I can watch it in my living room in surround sound. Should be out any day now.[/QUOTE]

[Rec]2 is kinda boring, it actually reminds me a lot of Resident Evil 2 (the movie), in terms of pace and acting.