Zeno Clash. Bwuh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for most of my life I've been a Mac user. Which means for most of my life the only cool games I've been able to play have been made by Blizzard, Cyan Worlds and (until they were purchased by a certain company that is the spawn of Satan), Bungie.

And then about a year ago I installed windows on my Intel laptop, for one specific work-related program. And then spent another 11 months not really quite "getting" that there was suddenly a whole world of games I was now able to play. And then a month ago I got a Steam Account and now I'm rolling around in so many cool game demos it feels like cheating.

Then yesterday I finished downloading "Zeno Clash," a weird first person fighting game. I haven't finished the demo yet but so far it has weird visuals, a weird story, and somewhat weird gameplay. I think whoever designed it basically said "okay, how many conventions can we break in one game?" (The game starts with you killing the weird Hermaphrodite thing that is the Father-Mother of your village, which includes both humans and random bird things and dog things and all kinds of other things that look freally friggin' weird. You and your wife decide to run away. So far it hasn't explained why you killed your Father-Mother and why your wife is okay with it.)

The combat isn't technically more brutal than other game's I've seen, but it's the most up close and visceral experience I've had. From a first person perspective you punch people until they fall over, kick them when they're down, grab them if they let you and punch their skull over and over again then pick them up and throw them. Within the first 10 minutes of the game you've learned a pretty sizeable variety of moves that I have trouble remembering (the game's learning curve is close to a vertical line, it pretty much assumes you're already familiar with both Street Fighter type games as well as First Person shooters).

So far I have no idea whether I like it or not. Most games introduce a few weird elements but ground them in familiar stuff to help them resonate with their audience (well, that and most people don't have more than a few genuine creative ideas). This game has so much weird stuff that I have no basis for comparison of whether it's actually good.

Anyone played it through to the end? Is it worth paying for? Did you get used to the weirdness eventually?

There was a thread on this just a little while back.

When it was on SALE on STEAM, I recommended everyone give it a shot, it's definitely worth one go around.

figmentPez

Staff member
Raemon777 said:
Anyone played it through to the end?
Yes.

Is it worth paying for?
YES!

Did you get used to the weirdness eventually?
I'm not the one to ask. I like weirdness. I didn't think the game took any getting used to at all, except for my usual ham-handed-ness when it comes to reaction times in fighting games. I had an absolute blast. I loved it so much I started a thread about it. I absolutely loved the art style which I described as "a mix of Planescape: Torment, Mercer Mayer and the Dark Crystal" and "It's like some sort of video game story-book, with wonderfully odd combat in place of pop-up illustrations."

Status
Not open for further replies.