Your Prom Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had two dates, because for some reason nobody asked them. We went to Jack In The Box for dinner first and went to the dance from there.

Mine was crap.

My high school was extremely clique-y. Like, stereotype level clique-y. My friends and I were a collection of nerds, who each served as sort of an ambassador to one of the other cliques. I had friends in the metalhead and punks camp, the girls had friends in the preppy kids and gangsta kids camp. One of our friends had the stoner connection down, etc.
There was a pretty definitive social heirarchy in my school and while we weren't quite at the bottom, we were far from the top. We were deemed the nerd mafia by one of the preppy kids when we went around trying to convince people to vote for a friend in the talent competitition ("Watchout! The Nerd Mafia's trying to rig the election!" were his exact words, and it stuck. We actually took the name and owned it).

The heirarchy went pretty much like this. I'd love to get a friend's opinion on this because I don't think you guys will appreciate how disgustingly accurate my description of the school's social system is:
Jock kids​
|​
Preppy kids​
|​
"Gangsta" kids​
|​
Stoners​
|​
Punk kids​
|​
"The Nerd Mafia"​
|​
Metalhead kids​
|​
The Smelly kids (Sad to say but this really was the name they were referred to by. That or "The Smellies")​

Anyway, a few friends of mine in the Nerd Mafia worked on the Prom commitee, which worked well since we comprised the sort of ambassador roles between the other cliques in the school, so you'd think they'd get a good mix of the different dissenting opinions that way and be able to organize things to the best satisfaction of the student body possible.But the faculty absolutely took over and let the students do nothing. The only thing the students were charged with was the seating plan, other than that the faculty wouldn't let them so much as suggest a colour for the balloons.
So my friends worked very hard on that seating plan, to ensure that the cliques got their way and nobody would be angry over the destruction of the oh-so delicate heirarchy. God forbid, for example, the Jock kids were placed next to the metalheads, and th epreppy kids next to the smelly kids. That just wouldn't do.

The seating plan was worked out, actually viewable publically when you went to get your tickets, so everyone knew EXACTLY where they were supposed to sit. Except when we got there, the teachers had completely ignored the seating plan, placing students accross the room from their friends. Nobody was happy, and my friends received all the blame for it so all night they had people bitching them out.

As for the rest of the prom comittee's duties which were taken over by the faculty; the theme of the evening was voted as "All that Jazz", but the decorations consisted,I'm not making this up, of two sets of black and white balloons which sat kitty corner on opposite sides of the dance floor. That was it. No jazz music was played throughout the evening, nothing remotely jazz related was placed anywhere. If you had walked in and were asked "What do you think is the theme of the evening?" you're only possible answer would be "Two dozen black and white balloons."

The food was terrible. Stale buns, chicken that really needed to be cooked better (I'm surprised nobody I know got food poisoning), or a strange disc of beef that was served anywhere from "well done" to "hockey puck". It was seriously some of the worst food I've ever eaten.

All this while another prom was going on in the same building, and we had to pass their lavishly decorated room complete with a a fondue fountain in order to get to ours. Also they were allowed to go outside and spend time around the garden fountain and take pictures on the dock and stuff, while we could only watch through the windows.

So then came the dancing. Most of the students were having after parties in Wasaga Beach, a good 2-3 hour drive from where our prom was being held. So after about 20minutes of music, there were literally less than 20 students left as everyone had already left to go party elsewhere. It was just us and the smelly kids.

In true Nerd Mafia fashion, our after party consisted of a bonfire and camping in my friend's back yard. In the morning the girls went out on the lake with their hair still done up for a sun rise canoe trip while the 4 guys started the fire back up. We had what we considered our actual after party months later when we went camping in Balsam Lake, which was awesome.

*Edit*
Oh and as far as "action", my group of 7 friends and I all went together, all without a date, and we all left together. Nobody got any.
Just roasted marshmallows over a fire and made fart jokes.

My prom- was paid to be cheauffer to the french foreign exchange student. The night ended with her in the back seat loudly helling how much she wanted to fuck one of our classmates, and not her date.

Prom I actually attended- Went with a friend and was bored to tears. Afterwards we went to her sister's appartment and watched "I Married an Axe Murderer".

Wow, uhm... went to two proms, my senior year, and my wife's senior year. She was the date both times.

Mine - Nice dinner in neighboring town, prom for a couple of hours, making out in the backseat for a little while, home before her curfew. Her's, pretty much the same, except the curfew was later, the prom was shorter, hotel and I learned how to completely get her dress hooked back up properly.

That was 24 years ago.

So checkeredhat, was your high school Degrassi? Because holy shit that sounds like something out of a drama/80's coming-of-age movie with the hierarchy.

So checkeredhat, was your high school Degrassi? Because holy shit that sounds like something out of a drama/80's coming-of-age movie with the hierarchy.
I mean I'm exaggerating it a bit, it's not like there was a jock kid wearing a crown handing out judgement and sentencing.

But it was definitely very stereotypical. Most people I know now from college, did not have very similar experiences. My high school was apparently special.

We also had a daycare because our small town high school had a rather large rate of teen pregnancy. It again wasn't until college that I learned this wasn't very common.

Status
Not open for further replies.