Your Character and TVTropes: Battle Cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Continuing in the series of seeing how your characters - WoD, freeplay, D&D, GURPS, whatever - fit into the greater scheme of popular culture tropes, we come to the Battle Cry: what, if anything, does your character shout, holler or howl when it's time for shattering spears or that one mad rush against a hail of bullets. Not to be confused with Pre Ass Kicking One Liner or Rousing Speech.

Jonah Boon:
"For the Antler Crown!" (the symbol of the Spring Court, his people)
"For the freehold!"

Dioscur (not likely to do so anymore these days; he stalks his prey like any other vampire. But a suitable opponent or a strong enemy might get the honor of his battle cry):
"The Ferryman awaits!"

Vashir Bronze-Scales (a Lawful Good dragonborn paladin of Corean in the 4th edition; died well before his time due to a blundering rogue):
"Corean watches, brothers!"

I

Iaculus

I can safely say that Vittoria's battlecry would not be verbal. In fact, the only way you'd know it had happened would be that your bones would have spontaneously turned to dust and you'd have a nine-foot-tall, heavily-mutated monstrosity charging at you, more and more natural weaponry appearing from its body with every scream it utters.

In the Spirit of Transforming Heroes, I'd often have Dr. Ashburner (Mad Scientist for Hire!) yell out "Henshin!" anytime he'd call on his AEX-2006 Power Armor in City of Villains. This is odd for two reasons:

- He was American, so he technically should have just said "Transform!" or "Shazam!" or something. The reason I always used was that he built his calling device out of a Japanese wristwatch, so it only activated by using a Japanese phrase. Don't think too hard about it.
- He was a Super Villain nominally (He was basically Dr. Venture if he crossed the line, devices powered by forsaken children and all), so technically he wouldn't have to say anything.

On the heroic side of things...

- Dynaburst (World's Fastest Pizza Boy with Electric Powers, given his powers by an experimental softdrink additive that killed everyone else in the taste test!) : "Justice in 30 seconds or less!"
- Toxic Fugu (Japanese American Sushi Chef, mutated into a half man, half blow-fish when he was stung by a chemically tainted blow-fish!) would often shout "Hot Wasabi!" when he'd throw his spines at people or "Here's some Fugu for you!" when he'd flex his spikes out at the start of a battle.
- El Hombre de Vuelo (Mexican Luchadore with the power of the Eagle, granted to him by a magic mask that worked as long as hi family had Honor) : "¡Pare, autor malvado!" and "El Eagle' ¡las alas de s pararán su injusticia!'. Yes, he was basically fueled by the best/worst spanish Babel Fish could provide.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Dioscur (not likely to do so anymore these days; he stalks his prey like any other vampire. But a suitable opponent or a strong enemy might get the honor of his battle cry):
"The Ferryman awaits!"
Pretty cool name... makes me wanna go through greek myths again.[/QUOTE]

Well, it actually is from Greek mythology. Dioscuri is the name often given to the Wonder Twins of Greek myths: Castor and Pollux. I liked the sound of the name, so I adopted it to my own use. His surname, Tyndareos, is the name of the husband of Leda (you know, the gal who got schtoinked by Zeus the swan?).

"Corean watches, brothers!"
They're digital you know. [/QUOTE]

Ha ha, I hadn't noticed that. Thank you, I laughed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.