WoW Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Odie

Just a quick question for any of you WoW players out there...

I just picked up the game after umm about 2 years (I left Pre-Wrath) , so everything is like new again and im just about as lost as can be when it comes to the game, slowly remembering stuff but not much.

I could use some help figuring out which mods i should use/pick up? any recommendations?

Thanks!

Unit Frame Mod: I personally use Pitbull
Action Bar Mod: I use Dominos
Casting Bars: Quartz does the job

Everything other than that tends to be fluff. I hear the "Spartan UI Compilation" is pretty solid, I believe Amorous uses it.

Shannow

Staff member
Spartan UI
DBM
ArkInventory.
pally power
healbot (home - rarely used, since I am ret now 99.5% of the time, it is disabled)

use spartan on both laptop and home pc now (used to use a whole different setup at home, but everything on that demigod setup got fucked with 3.2, so i just use spartan for both.

Simple, no frills, and leaves me all the real estate I need. (I like to see the damn game, not bars and notices everywhere. Complete minimalist all the way.)

Yes, definitely ArkInventory!

DBM would be for raiding, which I don't think he'll be doing soon.
Pally Power? Did he say he was a pld and a raider?
Healbot? Cmon Shannow did you read the OP? :p

O

Odie

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the info, I am currently just enjoying the game again and the story. I seriously doubt i will go back and raid at all. I was a pretty consistent raider (as a NE priest) when the game first came out up until just after AQ40. C'thun (that old god Blob thing) was our guild killer. After that i wondered around playing in the expansion (as a Ret Pally) eventually retiring and going back to console games.

Either of you thinking of playing goblins/worgen?

Shannow

Staff member
Not really, i thought it was just a rehash of the list yor mods thread, so I did. Ah well.

lokoing at it now...just get questhelper, and go through wowui, and see what some of the compilations/interfaces you might like are there, if you do not want to go in and completely customize your own. Problem solved.

I like Bartender4 for my action bar mod. Simple, easy to use, easy to configure, doesn't require much setup is at all.

I second QuestHelper, it's a great mod for being able to check out as much content as efficiently as possible.

Getting a little more in-depth, Gatherer is a good mod if you choose any gathering professions, and a great mod if you join a guild where lots of people also have it, because it shares gathering node information across guildies who have it.

Beyond that, I would just play with the UI settings, which have gotten pretty extensive in the last couple of years. All my other mods are more or less for raid efficiency.

Either of you thinking of playing goblins/worgen?
As soon as it's a possible reality, I'll be changing my "Warlord" Enhancement Shaman (back to my old main) into a Goblin, so that I can be one of few if any at all "Goblin Warlord"s.

A few mods I recommend. I usually take the utility mods more then the combat helping mods.

Outfitter - Able to switch gear quick and easy, works very well later on when you start mixing gear due to Duel-Spec. Even has some auto-switch settings, I right now have it setup so when I change my spec I switch my gear, have it switch to my prefered "Championing" tabard when entering a heroic instance, etc...

GroupCalender - Just improves on the default calender in pretty much every way possible, so much more clean and streamlined, and a lot more features.

AkisRecipeList - Basically if you have a profession and want to max it out, this will take a list of all known recipes in the game and match it with all the recipes you already have, giving you a list of what recipes you are missing, and how to get them. This is also nice because it lets you look at all of them and figure out which ones you may want to strive for.

If you want to get a little more complicated...

PowerAuras - This mod is one of my favorites. It allows you to create a graphical image that you can place anywhere on your screen for specified events. As an example, on my hunter I want to know when Lock and Load procs, and how long I have til it expires so I can fit it in my rotation correctly. I have it setup so a graphic appear over my head with a countdown timer counting down the buffs duration. This is invaluable once you start having things like "procs" without having to look up at the buff bar. The only issue is it takes time to setup, since it's completely customizable.

I also recommend learning some macros. They can be great. You don't even need to really use macros for combat purposes, but maybe just to make your action bars a little more manageable. My mage right now has it so all my "Teleport" spells are in a row on one bar, but they automatically change to "Portal" spells while in a group. If I am in a group but still want the teleport, I have a variable that allows me to revert back to teleport spells using the Shift key. I have the same setup for my food/water, the main button is the water so I can click it to drink, but when I run out I hold shift and the button converts to the conjuring spell to make more.

Oh, and I am definitely making a Goblin. I just don't know HOW right now, since I already have one of every class in the 50+ range at the lowest. Hoping Cataclysm changes the old world enough that I can stomach leveling up a duplicate class, also, I need more character slots! I have considered just converting my tauren druid over to a troll, and then later on converting either my warlock or priest into a goblin.

Worgen are still up in the air, don't play Alliance much these days.

Shannow

Staff member
Does power aura also show procs based on target status? Eg, hammer of wrarth being available when target is at 20%

Auctioneer is tops on my list. Along with GarbageFu/GarbageFu for Broker. makes selling your stuff so much easier, AH and vendor.

That is a good question. Pretty sure you can set up auras to appear based on personal health or target health percentages, but I would have to double check, since I have not made such a aura myself and stick mostly to using it for proc abilities, combo points, and to see if I am under the effect of certain debuffs that I can remove.

I will mention that Power Auras can be a little bit resource intensive. I don't notice any slowdown but I heard from others it can cause some when a lot of graphics are flying across the screen. If it does not work out there are good alternatives like "TellMeWhen"

Auctioneer is tops on my list. Along with GarbageFu/GarbageFu for Broker. makes selling your stuff so much easier, AH and vendor.
Auctioneer always felt so bloated for my taste. I use a mod called Auctionator that is similar but a bit more streamlined. I have a stack of Frost Lotus? I just take it, go to the "Sell" tab it adds to the AH, put it in the box and it will scan all the other Frost Lotus PPI and undercut them by like 5%. It will not undercut your own auctions. I just drop, click, and go all in a second or two. It also has a "Buy" tab that allows you to search for the absolute cheapest price per item and keep a list of my favored items for purchase.

It's simple and dirty, but works well for my selling needs.

I use:

MSBT (mik scrolling battle text)
Elkano's Buff Bars
Questhelper
Omen Threat Meter
Deadly Boss Mobs
Atlas LootFu
Cartographer

Be careful where you download from. My guild lead just had her account hacked. Wiped out our guild bank, all of her characters, and deleted everything. Only downloaded from Curse.com and used their client. I've also found keyloggers on my computer after downloading from Curse. I scan any time I download something from them.

Outfitter - Able to switch gear quick and easy, works very well later on when you start mixing gear due to Duel-Spec. Even has some auto-switch settings, I right now have it setup so when I change my spec I switch my gear, have it switch to my prefered "Championing" tabard when entering a heroic instance, etc...
If you (not you, Scythe) don't need all the bells and whistles, like auto-switching, Blizzard's now incorporated their own gear manager, which handles simple gear-switching without having to use a mod. If, like me, you prefer to keep mods to a minimum.

I do like a bag management mod so I'm not constantly rummaging through individual bags for stuff. I use BaudBag at the moment -- very easy to set up -- but I might switch to something with more features.

And oh hell yes, I will be making a goblin and a worg.

P

Pojodan

I do like a bag management mod so I'm not constantly rummaging through individual bags for stuff. I use BaudBag at the moment -- very easy to set up -- but I might switch to something with more features.
Baggins is my personal bag organization mod. It's a bit more advanced than other mods, but that's a good thing, for me.

It takes a big of getting used to due to this, though it does have a few built-in settings that work easily enough.

Say, for instance, you want all of your tradeskill supplies to appear on a seperate window, divided up by the professions that use them (including repeats). You can do that with Baggins.

Never really liked the built-in equipment manager, so I actually forgot about it.

As for bags, I personally don't use any bag mods. I use my bags as a organization system, both on my characters and in my bank. It just works out better for me to keep them individual.

Atlas - Map mod, shows maps of all instances.
AtlasLoot Enhanced - Goes along with Atlas, shows what bosses drop what in instances.
Auctioneer - Pretty much essential if you are going to be buying and selling a lot on the AH.
Deadly Boss Mods - Raid boss mod but also good for battlegrounds, I also have the old burning crusade mods installed for when I get 80 and go back to do old raids for achievements.
Gatherer - Fantastic mod that tracks all gathers herbs/mining nodes et cetera, also sends them to guildies who have gatherer.
Omen Threat Meter - Needed for instances and raids so you don't pull aggro from the tank.
Quartz - Awesome cast bar mod that accounts for latency.
QuestHelper - Must have for leveling pretty much, awesome mod.
Recount - Damage meters for raids and instances.
X-Perl UnitFrames - Replaces the gui if you are sick of the default.

As for omen, WoW has incorporated a percentage threat meter into it's own UI. I'm not sure if it alerts you when youre about to take aggro, but I do like it. It puts a little percentage on top of the target to show percentage of threat. The built in one doesn't take threat per second into account as far as I can tell, but it definitely works. I need to check if it does a sound alert...if so, I might just uninstall omen.

Just a heads up, WoW has all instance already mapped now, and you can see your position in the map as you run around, unlike Atlas.
Just one minor correction, Shego, they only did the WOTLK instances. Anything BC or lower still does not have a map. BRD is still the most annoying instance to navigate, I hate it so much.

Does power aura also show procs based on target status? Eg, hammer of wrarth being available when target is at 20%
I use Parrot. It's like Scrolling Combat Text + Power Aura + every status notifier you could want in a memory-light, easily customizable package.

For my prot pally, it shows aura changes, hammer of wrath, divine plea ending, reckoning, etc.

For my DK, it shows Runestrike availability, KM, Rime, rune refresh, abomination's might, etc.

That's in addition to damage in/out, cool-downs ending, healing in/out, crit notices, buff/debuff beginnings and ends, rep/xp/skill changes, etc.

And all almost 100% customizable, and the ability to make custom triggers for anything the mod creators missed.

Just a heads up, WoW has all instance already mapped now, and you can see your position in the map as you run around, unlike Atlas.
Just one minor correction, Shego, they only did the WOTLK instances. Anything BC or lower still does not have a map. BRD is still the most annoying instance to navigate, I hate it so much.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. I second that. I just did a full solo clear of BRD today. Took me 5 hours and several very frustrated trips to WoWhead to look up how to get to various portions even with Cartographer's map of the dungeon. All because I'm foolish enough to be going for the Loremaster achievement. Though I gotta say, I love the lore you can pick up from the three books and the quest givers in/for BRD. I really, really wish I had been playing before TBC came out when that would have been an appropriate guild run.

Status
Not open for further replies.