Would you notice a Not-blue person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
I posted this in another forum, for the game Mutants and Masterminds:

Hi, I am creating a group of NPCs that are aliens with a tiny bit of human DNA (they ancestors used human DNA to save the race thousands of years ago) that race is human-looking with the only distiction that they are blue-skinned

so.... these is group lives on Earth, and I was thinking that they have a chemical substance that can change they skin from blue to a human coloration, they just need to take a "shot" of it and the skin changes. However, power activation would cause the skin go back to blue.

So, I was thinking that this could be some kind of equipment rather than a device, that grants something like a quick-change feat and a disguise bonus??? Just to note: you need to take a new dosage of the substance to get back the effect, and it takes a entire round for the transformation to be completed.
I actually think the rules for this, my problem is the benefit, some argue that just color-change is a minor benefit for a incovenient (in the game is called complication) others say that (specially because this is super-hero genre), it should give something of a +10 disguise bonus.

I can do either set of rules, my problem is decide each one is the one that is more proper representation of what I want, and I want your opinion about it :D

Colour change seems like a very very weak benefit, and only the dumbest of humanoids would fall for that kind of disguise, unless the person were trying to blend into a crowd...

Seems like a much more gimped version of a doppelganger or changeling from DnD. Hopefully there are more benefits to this race. :)

Green_Lantern

Staff member
Colour change seems like a very very weak benefit, and only the dumbest of humanoids would fall for that kind of disguise, unless the person were trying to blend into a crowd...

Seems like a much more gimped version of a doppelganger or changeling from DnD. Hopefully there are more benefits to this race. :)
Is not a racial ability, just a sort of equipment taylor-made for them.

and the racial benefits they have:

*Dextery bonus
*Don't suffer from penaltys of zero gravity (deal with space a lot, and often use gravity negation technology for confort, they don't get weaker for being space for too long)
*Half Damage from sonic attacks (and often use sonic weapons)
*Resistance to diseases
Some individuals also have wings and others a ultrasonic scream.

above that, they have superior technology and a large array of knowledge (they are sort of obsessed with information, even if they don't use it)

edit: also, I almost forget, they heal faster and can grow lost limbs.

Well if the colour change is the kind of racial that has no huge bearing on whether someone takes the feat and will give only a minor benefit to disguise check under the BEST of circumstances, I'd say that it's reasonable.

Choosing what colour to be is kind of like choosing what kinda facial hair you wanna have as a dwarf. Seems kinda inconsequential in most cases.

I personally wouldn't charge anything for it as a DM. What your character looks like is entirely up to the player. Its just a roleplaying thing.

Why not have it so that when the blue skinned aliens get a tan, they become pink? Or just blame the blueness on a rare disease that few people would understand or take the time to research.

figmentPez

Staff member
Why not have it so that when the blue skinned aliens get a tan, they become pink? Or just blame the blueness on a rare disease that few people would understand or take the time to research.
Well, it's not a disease, but drinking too much colloidal silver fits the bill.

(Oh, and blue aliens yellow when they tan. See "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command" and the character Mira.)

K

Kitty Sinatra

I'd go with a +2 bonus - the standard value for any miscellaneous bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.