Would you help colonize the solar system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alucard

Let's pose a hypothetical question to all you forumites out here on this esteemed forum.

Let's say the technology was all worked out and we could colonize planets in our solar system
looking for valuable minerals and establishing new footholds both in the inner and outer planets.

Would you be part in that colonization effort or would you stay on good ol terra firma.

If I had a skill they'd think useable enough to stick me somewhere else, sure, why not? Don't think I have enough pioneering/scientific chops to make it, but if I could, sure.

I don't think there's much of a chance that I wouldn't want to do it. Getting off this one mudball would be quite fulfilling. I think I'd probably have something to contribute (I guess they'd need people with math-computer knowledge and that don't mind being shot at another planet in a giant bullet).

L

Laurelai

Between my other half and I (me the paramedic, he the software/electrical engineer) we'd likely make a pretty good package deal. However fascinating the idea terraformation is to me though, I could not leave my terran sunsets, my ocean, my bees, my hibiscus, my smell of rain etc etc etc.

doomdragon6

Staff member
If it was like the old days of pioneering, sure.

But the way things are now, eh. It'd just be like building a city.

I'd miss Earth and my family too much. If it was a 2 year mission, that might be cool. That, and a really, really big paycheck!
A Microbiologist could be of some use.

H

Heavan

Shoot, get me a lawnchair and some rockets and I'll meet you guys up there when the technology actually exists

M

Mr_Chaz

If my important people came with me, then hell yes! If they couldn't come? Then I'll just be up for a visit thanks.

North_Ranger

Staff member
In all honesty, I probably wouldn't qualify. I'm overweight, slightly claustrophobic... and I teach English as a foreign language ;) So I don't think they would let me tag along even if I wanted to.

A

Aisaku

To quote my favorite alien:

"I gave them the wrong warning. I should've told them to run, as fast as they can, run and hide, because the monsters are coming. The human race."

And no that has nothing to do with the fact that such a mission would have no use for a geek who draws pictures. :humph:

Depends. Am I living in a tiny can or is it a biodome or a terraformed planet (or moon)? I'd go if it was a sizeable enough complex, with at least a park and sufficient technology for entertainment and safety.

Aisaku said:
To quote my favorite alien:

"I gave them the wrong warning. I should've told them to run, as fast as they can, run and hide, because the monsters are coming. The human race."
Indeed.

W

Wyrminarrd

I doubt that I would be interested in living in some bio-dome on Mars or one of the moons of Jupiter so I would almost certainly stay on Earth. I would however love to visit those places :thumbsup:

All things told, I'd love to go, provided it wasn't a permanent move. There's so much on Earth I want to see. Seeing Mars would be awesome, but there's not enough variety there to make me want to spend my life.

The thing that hits me most about the romance of being an explorer is the anthropological angle. Seeing other, new to you cultures. It is quite unlikely that I would get that, picking through the rocks of Mars.

W

WolfOfOdin

Yes. Yes I would.

I would then stage a revolt against earth and create the Martian Nation, proceeding to use de-commissioned space ships as weapons to launch at my enemies.

HAIL WOLF! FIRST EMPEROR OF MARS!

WolfOfOdin said:
Yes. Yes I would.

I would then stage a revolt against earth and create the Martian Nation, proceeding to use de-commissioned space ships as weapons to launch at my enemies.

That's implying you'd survive the space trip aboard my vessel. I don't much like mutiny during her mutiny. :twisted:

W

WolfOfOdin

Shegokigo said:
WolfOfOdin said:
Yes. Yes I would.

That's implying you'd survive the space trip aboard my vessel. I don't much like mutiny during her mutiny. :twisted:
Shego, I plan to have placed my brain into a mechanical body by this time, giving your mutiny an edge in having a nigh-unkillable infiltrator, as well as leaving the women-folk to you. Alliance?

Status
Not open for further replies.