Worried about a friend

You might remember me talking about a friend who asked me out after the break-up. This isn't about the dating relationship because we decided a while ago to not do any formal dating for now.

We'd been in touch fairly regularly, then things changed in early February. She texted me and said her apartment had flooded with sewer water again and then her phone died. I did what I'd do for any friend in that situation and went over to help. She wasn't in because she needed to get away from the stink. I told her about that a few days later and she said that my dropping what I was doing for her made her feel weird. I let it rest and things settled down. We hung out again a couple weeks later and it seemed like normal again, except for the fact that she's working 75-hour weeks.

Then I stopped hearing back from her. I knew she was busy so I didn't pay it any mind. Apparently it's not just me either; we're on a conference committee and the professor's been trying to reach her. We have other mutual friends who have asked me about her because they haven't been able to get in touch with her either. Normally I'd write her off as a friend who's just flaking out, but this has professional implications. I had vouched for her and when she blows off a professor's email it reflects poorly on me as a professional.

She has also apparently been dropping by my place unannounced. I know this because she left a note on my door. Not a "Dear John" letter or anything of that nature, just a regular note.

I also had some items I'd borrowed from her, so I tried calling to return them. Her phone was off, so I stopped by her apartment to drop them off. She wasn't in, but I saw that she had been in a car accident. Her car isn't totaled, but the passenger side door is smashed in like she was t-boned. I just hope she's all right.

Any idea on what I should do?

Last edited:
Are you in contact with her family at all? Maybe they have some news/idea what's going on... That'd be my first thought...

Damn it. Well then I'm out of idea. You said that she left a note on your door? Maybe leave one there asking her to give you a call when she gets a chance?

Last edited:
Yeah, she's a PhD student at the vet school. I know their schedules get crazy this time of the semester (if last semester is any indication). I had considered dropping by her office but the vet school requires an electronic key code to get in. It's a pretty high-security building. I suppose I could leave a note for her.

There are things you could do, but I doubt you could do any of them without feeding any existing paranoia. Probably best to just communicate via notes unless you're willing to take that risk.

--Patrick

Necronic

Staff member
Man, yeah it's tough with PhD students. My own wife will go through periods like this and I know better than to mess with her much because I know she is just super stressed from school. On the other hand I also live with her and have a generally good idea of her mental health as I can monitor it directly.

So yeah, not sure what to say. Grad students have schedules that can make it seem like they are losing it. They also have schedules that can make them lose it...

Are you her only friend? My first instinct is to just give her space. However, if she's in real trouble it's hard to do nothing. Hope it works out.

@ PatrThom - Like what?

@ Necronic - I'm a PhD student myself and I know how busy we can get. A few of her classmates HAVE lost it. One of them had to take a sabbatical due to mental health issues. Last semester, my friend was stressed beyond belief but she'd come over several times a week for dinner or just to vent for a few hours. Granted, that was when her apartment was nigh uninhabitable.

@ drawn No, she has other friends. In fact, they've been asking me to get in touch with her because they haven't heard from her in weeks.

And before you all think it, I haven't been bombarding her with emails or texts. I try to contact her periodically and that's it.

Occasionally, it's good to just tell someone "I'm doing a wellness check. Everything okay with you?" It lets people know you're concerned without being overly dramatic.

@ PatrThom - Like what?
1) If you put in the extra space, it doesn't send a notification. @IronBrig4 v. @ IronBrig4
but as a few examples...
2) You can semi-unobtrusively doctor or investigate a property to show signs of ingress/egress
3) You can personally stake out a property or other hangouts
4) You can read meters to see if utilization has changed (if you can access them)

--Patrick

Thanks for the advice everyone. While I could pull a stakeout in front of her apartment, I'd rather not. There's a line between being a friend concerned for her well being and a crazy stalker dogging her steps. If she really is stressed out with school, then it can come across the wrong way. I just want to know if she's all right.

And I decided to call the professor she works under. I had to get an update on potential conference participation regardless. He said the whole department is being crushed by deadlines right now but that she's okay. Just working 18 hour days and stressed out of her mind.

Last edited:
Okay, this was strange. I hadn't even tried contacting her in a few weeks. With the end of the semester approaching, we're both extremely busy with grading and research. I'd just concentrated on my teaching and dissertation. I even went on a few dates with other girls because I was moving on.

I was walking to my office today when I bumped into her and one of her friends. I said "hi" and she said "NOPE!" and kept walking. I was momentarily stunned and caught up with her. Looking back, that was a mistake but I needed some answers and acted on the spur of the moment. She was incredibly angry, said she didn't want to talk to me, and disappeared inside a nearby restaurant.

Her friend lingered outside and looked just as stunned as I was. He told me she hadn't said anything to him but she was clearly upset about something, and had been for some time. Since she has clearly decided we're strangers, I'm letting it drop.

I told some of my friends about that, and they say I've dodged a bullet.

I have to agree with your friends who are saying you dodged a bullet. If she isn't even willing to tell you that you did or said something that she found insulting, hurtful, whatever, or give you a chance to say your piece, then to me you are better off without her. What an odd person.

Well, at least you know she's alive? That's something... But I gotta agree with Her Royal Highness above me and your friends, that is some bullshit.