Export thread

World Cup 2018

mikerc

mikerc

Okay, let's make a new thread for this.

And we start with the news that the day before the World Cup starts, 2 days before their first match Spain have sacked their manager. Because that's how you prepare for the biggest sporting event in the world. :facepalm:

blotsfan

blotsfan

I thought they canceled it this year.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh great, that means it's almost malware season.

--Patrick

mikerc

mikerc

I thought they canceled it this year.
It possibly could have done with being cancelled. And the 2022 one.

And now the 2026 one will apparently have a ruddy great wall between some of the countries co-hosting!

jwhouk

jwhouk

No USA playing = Don't care.

mikerc

mikerc

No USA playing = Don't care.
Hey at least you've qualified more recently than 1998!

Let me give you some advice - you just need to find someone who's success you're jealous over. If you've got a geographical neighbour who you would normally have a local rivalry with but they're sufficiently better than you that they don't consider you a proper rival - being Scottish I like to use England for this - then you can always cheer on whoever they're playing.

Try getting yourself a MAGA hat* & supporting #AnyoneButMexico.

*Actually don't do this.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Hey at least you've qualified more recently than 1998
Hey at least you've qualified more recently than 1986.

. . . and more than once.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I am not English, but I am an England supporter.

England have sent one of the weakest teams in living memory. Apart from Harry Kane, and possibly Raheem Sterling, there are no other world-class players in the squad. All three goalkeepers are quite mediocre and inexperienced (they have something like a combined 15 caps between them), the central midfield options are either painfully average (Jordan Henderson) or terrifyingly unpredictable (Dele Alli), and there isn't really a plan B apart from "knock it up to Jamie Vardy and hope he can outrun the opposition, despite being on the wrong side of 30."

We're gonna get twatted by Belgium, and probably Panama and Tunisia too.

Okay, now that I've gotten the requisite English pessimism out of the way, we're gonna win the World Cup, lads!

Bubble181

Bubble181

I am not English, but I am an England supporter.

England have sent one of the weakest teams in living memory. Apart from Harry Kane, and possibly Raheem Sterling, there are no other world-class players in the squad. All three goalkeepers are quite mediocre and inexperienced (they have something like a combined 15 caps between them), the central midfield options are either painfully average (Jordan Henderson) or terrifyingly unpredictable (Dele Alli), and there isn't really a plan B apart from "knock it up to Jamie Vardy and hope he can outrun the opposition, despite being on the wrong side of 30."

We're gonna get twatted by Belgium, and probably Panama and Tunisia too.

Okay, now that I've gotten the requisite English pessimism out of the way, we're gonna win the World Cup, lads!
I seriously doubt any problems with Panama or Tunisia. And coming in number two in our group is better than number one - you'll avoid Germany.

mikerc

mikerc

And coming in number two in our group is better than number one - you'll avoid Germany.
Yes, but by avoiding Germany they should meet Brazil. :p

I'd expect both England & Belgium to go out in the quarters.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I seriously doubt any problems with Panama or Tunisia.
That's what they said about Iceland!

And in case anyone needs any reminding, England lost to Iceland 2-1 in Euro 2016. Iceland, remember, has a population of approximately 300,000 people.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yes, but by avoiding Germany they should meet Brazil. :p

I'd expect both England & Belgium to go out in the quarters.
I'd rather face Brazil than Germany, these past few years.

blotsfan

blotsfan

That's what they said about Iceland!

And in case anyone needs any reminding, England lost to Iceland 2-1 in Euro 2016. Iceland, remember, has a population of approximately 300,000 people.
Obviously that's still a huge upset, but Iceland has one of the best players in the world, right?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Obviously that's still a huge upset, but Iceland has one of the best players in the world, right?
I'm drawing a blank on who you might be referring to.

mikerc

mikerc

True, although neither is exactly what you would call an easy game.

In fact here is my prediction for how the whole thing will go. Germany to retain!

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm drawing a blank on who you might be referring to.
I'm guessing her's confusing his Scandinavians and is thinking of Sweden with Zlatan.

Bubble181

Bubble181

True, although neither is exactly what you would call an easy game.

In fact here is my prediction for how the whole thing will go. Germany to retain!
Here's mine.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm guessing her's confusing his Scandinavians and is thinking of Sweden with Zlatan.
No I was thinking of their dude playing for Everton. Looks like he's good, but not world-class like I thought.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I will always fondly remember the first half of that game, sitting in a crowded brewpub on Toronto's lakeshore, shouting "Schweinsteiger!"

Dave

Dave

Iran wins 1-0 on an own goal by Morocco. Such a good defense Iran has.

Bubble181

Bubble181

3-3. Now that was interesting.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Spain looked good.

Ronaldo looked good.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm just waiting until after the England game so I can see that trailer they're talking about for the first episode of Series 11.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Wow, what a match. Mexico deserved the win against Germany!
As a fan of the Mannschaft, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed...but quite some match!

mikerc

mikerc

I seriously doubt any problems with Panama or Tunisia.
You're more confident than Southgate then. Getting the excuses in early Gareth?

Bubble181

Bubble181

You're more confident than Southgate then. Getting the excuses in early Gareth?
To be fair, they have to go up against Belgium, we have to face England, so they do have a more difficult group than we do:awesome:

Bubble181

Bubble181

Sheesh. Belgium wasn't terribly great, but this match England isn't exactly impressing anyone either.
I'm not prone to excessive Belgian nationalism, but if this level in general doesn't improve, we might actually get far.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Yeah England weren't very good.

Doesn't matter. IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING, FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME... :D

mikerc

mikerc

Yeah England weren't very good.

Doesn't matter. IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING, FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME... :D
But Scotland didn't qualify...? :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF FOOTBALL COMING HOME!

THREE LIONS ON THE SHIIIIIIRT...

Dave

Dave

England after one single match against the #21 team in the world:

mikerc

mikerc

CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF FOOTBALL COMING HOME!

THREE LIONS ON THE SHIIIIIIRT...
Talking of football coming home, there's been suggestions that England is going to bid to host the 2030 WC, either on their own or as part of a UK wide bid. I liked that idea - the infrastructure is in place, there are plenty stadia that can host a world cup game, and I'm in the UK so I could maybe get tickets to some games :D.

Unfortunately I'm not the only one that likes this idea. Sepp Blatter thinks it's a good idea as well. The simple fact that Blatter thinks it's a good idea is enough to make me question whether it really is a good idea. I'm sure I'm committing a fallacy of some sort there, but that's how toxic Blatter is.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Talking of football coming home, there's been suggestions that England is going to bid to host the 2030 WC, either on their own or as part of a UK wide bid. I liked that idea - the infrastructure is in place, there are plenty stadia that can host a world cup game, and I'm in the UK so I could maybe get tickets to some games :D.

Unfortunately I'm not the only one that likes this idea. Sepp Blatter thinks it's a good idea as well. The simple fact that Blatter thinks it's a good idea is enough to make me question whether it really is a good idea. I'm sure I'm committing a fallacy of some sort there, but that's how toxic Blatter is.
I completely understand your leeriness. If it helps, maybe think of Sepp Blatter as a broken clock, and this is one of those times he just happens to be right.

Alternatively, Sepp Blatter is a moronic blow-hard so who gives a shit what he thinks.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I would normally say that I'd severely doubt that England will win the Cup. However, we've had an expansion team in the Stanley Cup finals, the Cubs winning the World Series, and two Triple Crown winners within the last four years. So there's that.

Oh, and this is FIFA. The winner is determined by the largest bribe paid to officials.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I would normally say that I'd severely doubt that England will win the Cup. However, we've had an expansion team in the Stanley Cup finals, the Cubs winning the World Series, and two Triple Crown winners within the last four years. So there's that.

Oh, and this is FIFA. The winner is determined by the largest bribe paid to officials.
But it's in Russia, and so it's real easy for them to hide their steroid use (the Olympics were a test run), and poison their opponents.

Want proof? They've scored 8 goals in 2 games.

blotsfan

blotsfan

But it's in Russia, and so it's real easy for them to hide their steroid use (the Olympics were a test run), and poison their opponents.

Want proof? They've scored 8 goals in 2 games.
But they've played really bad teams those two games.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

But they've played really bad teams those two games.
Egypt and Saudi Arabia are in on it. They've been throwing games for years, just so Russia can have a cakewalk through the Group Stage.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My favorite story so far from the World Cup.

http://time.com/5314526/mexico-city-world-cup-earthquake/

Mexico City partied so hard for the first goal scored, they set off the earthquake monitors.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Man, such rotten luck for Costa Rica. I as really rooting for them. For Iran too, by the way. The big teams are really disappointing me so far, but it seems likelythey'll all manage to wiggle through. Who played valiantly and lost in the 97th minute, and who got played all the way up and down the field, nobody'll remember. Costa Rica causing Brazil to go home in the first round would have been hilarious.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It is probably just me, but I feel that Argentina and Brazil deserve to lose after changing their national uniforms. Argentina gave up their cool Blue and White stripes for a black kit, and Brazil is wearing a Vault Suit instead of their national colors.

Cog

Cog

It is probably just me, but I feel that Argentina and Brazil deserve to lose after changing their national uniforms. Argentina gave up their cool Blue and White stripes for a black kit, and Brazil is wearing a Vault Suit instead of their national colors.
Maybe Brazil changed theirs colors after last cup. They also changed it after the maracanazo.

It's strange that I don't like the game, but the history behind it I do like. It's like a bad rpg.

Bubble181

Bubble181

5-2. Should've been 7-1, really :p

I'm not at all a fervent supporter, but I have to say Belgium is one of the best teams this tournament; better than what we've seen from some of the "greats".

Dave

Dave

I was really pulling for Iceland yesterday. Such a small country with a great fanbase. Alas, it was not to be.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ahem.

It's coming home.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Chill, Bambi.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ahem.

It's coming home.
I think you're overestimating the good feelings we have for the Scots, we probably won't store our cup all they're way over there.

mikerc

mikerc

I think you're overestimating the good feelings we have for the Scots, we probably won't store our cup all they're way over there.
Hmm? Ah! That's my cue!

*Ahem* Oh, go on Bubs. Unlike the English, I promise we won't lose it.
We would definitely end up losing it.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I dunno, guys, we've all seen what happens when you let the English get their hands on a cup...

"You want vampires, Harry? Because that's how you get vampires."

bhamv3

bhamv3

This is almost certainly SFW. But spoilering it just in case.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Spain and Portugal got lucky... lots of important/questionable decisions there, and I'd have sent Ronaldo off.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Holy shit that South Korea - Germany match.

Just... holy shit.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well now. Can't say Germany played well, but still. It's a bit off a surprise, still.

bhamv3

bhamv3

That ending though. Watching Neuer go full Neuer and have it backfire so spectacularly. Just, holy shit.

Dave

Dave

I missed it. Work called. What happened?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Two teams played soccer.
One lost.

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

0-0 until the 92nd minute, when SK scored from a corner. This led to Germany throwing everyone forward, including their goalkeeper, Manuel Neuer.

Now, in case you didn't know, Neuer is known as a "sweeper keeper", in the sense that in addition to his goalkeeping skills (which are admittedly very good, in fact Neuer is widely considered the best keeper in the game currently), he also has the skills to play with the ball at his feet, ie he's also a good dribbler, passer, tackler, etc. This means that Neuer can often be found outside his penalty area, to challenge opposing attackers before they can get into dangerous scoring positions.

Today, though, Neuer was so far forward he was basically playing in the midfield or as an attacker. And while he's good with the ball at his feet, he's not infallible. Neuer lost possession high up the pitch, the SK player Ju Se-jong booted the ball downfield, and SK's star player Son Heung-min chased the ball down to tap it into the net. The game finished 2-0 to SK, which means Germany finished bottom of their group and have been eliminated from the World Cup.

Dave

Dave

Meh. That last goal didn't mean anything. They would have lost 1-0 anyway and would have finished at the bottom anyway. That made 0 difference. Even had the goal differential kept them ahead of South Korea, they still would have been 3rd in their Group and gone home.

In fact, since Sweden beat Mexico, the Germany/South Korea game meant fuck all since they were both eliminated.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Germany would've advanced if they won.

Dave

Dave

Shit, you're right. I was looking at the Group G standings. But if they won by a single goal they still would have stayed home, right? Mexico would have had the same goal differential and beat them head-to-head.

Right?

edit: Nope. I'm forgetting they lost 2 in the point differential to South Korea.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Cue up the ominous music.

This "was the first time Germany has been eliminated in the first round since 1938."

mikerc

mikerc

Well, no matter what happens in the knockout stages Belgium have probably won the "Most Entertaining Goal Celebration" award.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Not an inspiring game, but at least box we know the Belgian B-team can win from the English B-team.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Like I said, we have no plan B.

bhamv3

bhamv3

France-Argentina was a cracking game.

Also, both Messi and Ronaldo are now eliminated from the World Cup.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Some more thoughts on the France-Argentina match.

Messi, despite getting two assists, was largely anonymous for much of the match. I think this was partly due to a tactical error by Argentina, and a tactical masterstroke by France. Argentina's error was to play Messi centrally as a false nine. The false nine strategy works by having the center forward (who usually has the number 9) drop deeper, which either gives the false nine player open opportunities to receive the ball, or forces one or more of the central defenders to track him, thus leading to space for teammates to exploit. The problem is, though, that for the false nine strategy to work, the wingers or midfielders need to move into the space vacated by the opponent's central defender(s), and Argentina's wingers and midfielders weren't doing that. So Messi would receive the ball in a deep position, then have no one making a dangerous run to pass to before he's harried off the ball. The only exception was for Argentina's third goal, after Aguero had finally come on, and Argentina finally had someone making the kind of runs that Messi can supply. France's strategic win was when they recognized that Argentina would be using Messi as a false nine (which isn't that hard to deduce, really, given that Messi's pretty much the guy who popularized the false nine position in the modern game) so they assigned N'Golo Kante to mark him out of the game. The genius of this move is twofold. Firstly, Kante is a midfielder, which means France's central defenders won't be pulled out of position by Messi dropping deep. Secondly, Kante is famed for his defensive awareness, work rate, stamina, and unselfish playstyle. He's basically perfectly suited to shadow Messi for 90 minutes and harass him whenever he has the ball, and even some of the time when he doesn't. Plus, every time Messi got a sniff of the ball, at least one other France player would come help Kante defend. Even Messi can't do much when he's getting triple-teamed by Frenchmen all game.

Argentina also played into France's hands in the later stages of the game by pushing forward and chasing goals. This opened them up to French counter-attacks, as we saw in France's second and fourth goals. I mean, look at the fourth goal, it started with the ball at the goalkeeper's feet, and then five passes later Mbappe is rifling a shot into the net. That's Wengerball-levels of movement and efficiency there.

Speaking of Mbappe, holy shit this guy is good. He reminds me of a young Cristiano Ronaldo with his pace and fearlessness. He was scaring the crap out of Argentina every time he ran at them. The last time I saw Argentines so terrified by a young forward at a World Cup match was Michael Owen in 98.

As a final note, I liked how the camera would pan to Messi every chance they got, whether it was a France goal, or Argentina's attack breaking down, or whatever. Messi had a constant "WTF is this shit" expression throughout the whole match.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Germany, Portugal, Argentina, Spain...what a weird side of the table that it's turning out to be. :eek:

Cog

Cog

In soviet rusia the favorites are eliminated?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ah, poor Denmark.

mikerc

mikerc

Ah, poor Denmark.
Ah, poor Schmeichel you mean. Saves a penalty with extra time almost done to keep his team in it, saves 2 more in the pen shoot out, and still his team mates conspire to get themselves knocked out.

Props to Modric for stepping up to take a pen in the shoot out after missing the one earlier though.

Dave

Dave

The last Dutch penalty try was absolutely horrid. And that Croatian stutter step hesitation was illegal and should have been disallowed.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

In soviet rusia the favorites are eliminated?
I said they're fixing the games.

jwhouk

jwhouk

We'll know the fix is in if Sweden loses to Switzerland...

Bubble181

Bubble181

France is now the latest remaining finalist of a recent European or world championship, 2008. All others are out (including the Netherlands and Italy who didn't even manage to qualify).

bhamv3

bhamv3

I think I favor Croatia to make it to the final on that side of the bracket.

Well, unless they're beaten by England in the semis. Which could happen!

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm calling it now: Russia vs. England, Uruguay vs. whoever comes out of BRA/MEX and BEL/JAP.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Some thoughts on the Spain-Russia match.

This Spain team's a pale shadow of the great Spain teams of the past decade, by which I mean they tried to use the same tactics yesterday, but were much worse at making it work. Spain's famous for playing a style called tiki taka, which was popularized in their domestic league by Barcelona around the 00's and early 10's, and is characterized by its short passes, quick movement, and possession-oriented philosophy. Back then, Spain could pretty much directly transfer Barcelona's tactics to the national team, because many of Barcelona's key players were Spanish. The midfield trio of Xavi-Iniesta-Busquets could tiki taka all day long, because they played with each other every day and had an almost psychic connection with one another. Without those key players, Spain's tiki taka yesterday lacked any real urgency or incision; they'd pass the ball around, but play very few killer passes towards Russia's penalty area, and there wasn't as much movement off the ball to create openings for productive passes. It felt very much like a neutered version of tiki taka, one where Spain was keeping possession just for possession's sake.

What's more, Russia were quite happy to let Spain have possession, because they were quite well organized defensively, and could afford to be patient. I think the game ended with Spain having had something like 70% or 75% possession, which is a ridiculous amount. Russia's game plan was to sit back and deny Spain any space. In the past, Spanish teams would be able to tiki taka their way through such defensive tactics, or if they couldn't then they'd use big, strong, and skillful center forwards like Villa, Morata, and Torres to bludgeon their way through the opposition. Yesterday, though, Diego Costa was having no success bludgeoning his way through the Russian defense, because... well... they're Russians. On the whole I was impressed with what the Russians could do. They didn't play particularly well, but they didn't have to. They may not be as fancy or as skillful as the Spains and Brazils of the world, but they're well drilled, well organized, and had a clear gameplan they managed to execute fairly well. Their objective was to not give Spain any openings, and to their credit, they mostly didn't.

As a final note, I don't know why De Gea is so bad at saving penalties. Even when he gets contact on the ball, it'll still go in.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Someone check on @Bubble181

Dave

Dave

Wow. Those two goals happened fast. Weird field of 16 we're having this year, eh?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Never mind.

Dave

Dave

Jesus christ. That happened...

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Good. no overtime.

Dave

Dave

Fucking wow. That was a great goal. No hesitation by the Belgium goalkeeper.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yep. That happened. Much more tense than people thought before, huh?
I think the Belgian hospitals will have a lot of heart attacks this evening.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Dammit, Belgium, why couldn't you have shit the bed against the underdogs like so many other teams have at this World Cup? :p

Anyway, credit where it's due, that was a good comeback. Japan played well too, they can go home with their heads held high.

The Brazil-Mexico match was fairly interesting too. Mexico largely gave as good as they got for the first 30 minutes or so, but then Brazil had another gear they could step into, and Mexico couldn't keep up. Brazil this year doesn't play with the same swagger or panache of the great Brazil teams of the past, but they're still a very dangerous team.

Bubble181

Bubble181

And today the last quarter final is decided...who will Columbia face - Sweden or Switzerland?:p:cool:

bhamv3

bhamv3

And today the last quarter final is decided...who will Columbia face - Sweden or Switzerland?:p:cool:
Psht, what sort of fantasyland have you entered if you don't think England are going to beat Colombia by double digits.

Okay, yeah, in rugby maybe.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Someone want to explain to the dumb American why Colombia was all po'ed about the placement of the wall on that penalty kick?

And why the hell that Colombian player wasn't flashed a red card?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

What's an English heartbeat look like right now?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Of course this thing goes to Extra Time.

Breathe, @bhamv3.

jwhouk

jwhouk

This is going to the shootout, innit?

jwhouk

jwhouk

"It's coming hoooooome..."

Bubble181

Bubble181

...because one Columbian couldn't keep a penalty in the box.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Tell the world, it's coming home.

bhamv3

bhamv3

WTF England won a penalty shootout.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Too bad they won't get past Russia.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I just want to re-emphasize how unlikely this is. England have NEVER won a World Cup penalty shootout before. To say penalties are England's kryptonite is to ignore the fact that Superman has beaten enemies armed with kryptonite before. England always lose shootouts, simple as that. It's a truth as immutable as the fact that the Earth revolves around the sun, or that I am a porn addict. This is truly a World Cup of unexpected surprises.

On the whole I'd say England were the better team on the night, though it was a very scrappy game that wasn't very pleasing to the eye. The ref was pretty bad, he lost control of the game and let players get away with way too much. Maybe I'm biased, but I thought the Colombians were the bigger aggressors in this regard, and several of them probably should've been red carded. Anyway, for much of the game England managed to keep Colombia at bay, in fact I don't think Colombia had any really good chances until late on, when Pickford pulled off that miracle save against Uribe and Mina finally scored. And then in extra time, I don't know if England were fatigued or demoralized or what, but Colombia got back into the game and had a host of good chances. England will need to be more clinical and more mentally disciplined than this if they want to keep going in this tournament.

Speaking of Pickford, wow I completely underrated him before the tournament. I called him inexperienced and mediocre. Well, he may not have much international experience, but he showed he was anything but mediocre in this game. Apart from the key saves he made, it felt like he was always in full control of his penalty area, and was a calming presence for his outfielders through much of the game. There wasn't much he could do about Colombia's equalizer, the ball went to the post, where it was Trippier's responsibility to clear it, but it bounced too high for Trippier to reach.

Based on current form, I'd say England have a chance of beating Sweden, but Russia and Croatia will be much, much sterner tests. Not to mention whoever's waiting in the final from the other side of the bracket (currently I'm inclined to say France).

mikerc

mikerc

To add to @bhamv3's point about England & penalty shootouts, here is a picture of current England manager Gareth Southgate after he missed the crucial penalty in the shootout with Germany to put England out of Euro 96

Here is a picture of Southgate after Mateus Uribe missed the penalty to put Colombia out of the World Cup

As much as I want to see England fall flat on their faces (particularly now the British media are going full ENG-ER-LUND) I also kinda want to see Southgate do well. Maybe Belgium could sack their manager before the Brazil game & he could take over & lead them to the trophy? :p

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

particularly now the British media are going full ENG-ER-LUND
No matter what happened, the British media were going to embarrass themselves.

Bubble181

Bubble181

So, best midfield vs best defense this afternoon...then, best offense and good defense vs best offense and good counter qualities... If both teams play well this should be an exciting match. Will we make it to the finals for the first time since '86?

bhamv3

bhamv3

For a team whose attack is led by Luis Suarez, Uruguay's attack was remarkably toothless. Especially after they went 2 goals down, it feels like they just ran out of ideas, and just kept trying random things, with none of them working.

Bubble181

Bubble181

A deserved win, I think, but the second goal was a shame. It killed the match because, unlike the Belgians, the Uruguayans lost hope.

jwhouk

jwhouk

So, @Bubble181, nervous yet?

Dave

Dave

Rooting for you, @Bubble181 !

1-0 Belgium!

jwhouk

jwhouk

...own goal. An Own Goal, in the Quarterfinals, of the World Cup.

SMH.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Do any of the Belgian players have a name that's as fun to shout as Schweinsteiger?

Dave

Dave

2-0 Belgium on the fast break.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Two-nil.

@Bubble181 and his 999 relatives will be SFD within a few hours if this holds up...

jwhouk

jwhouk

We have a saying in the NHL. "Okay, who said the 'S' word?"

Dave

Dave

Geez, Belgium, what the hell? Did they stay in the locker room for the half?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Note to Braden Holtby - the save of the year was just made over in Russia.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Someone check on @Bubble181...

Dave

Dave

2-1 final. Belgium. Hell yeah!

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I think @JCM will be hurting more.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

But we are all JCM.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Many beers and more stress. What a game. From both teams. This is what a world cup is all about.

Dave

Dave

England over Sweden 2-0. And they will meet either a weak Croatia or a weaker Russia.

Just Me

Just Me

bhamv3

bhamv3

England were solid, while Sweden looked bereft of ideas. There were a few good chances for Sweden, but England's back three and keeper were always up to the challenge. At the other end of the pitch, admittedly England were rather wasteful at times, but a couple of good crosses and headers and that's two goals. Also, Sweden worked hard at shutting down Harry Kane, but that meant there was more space for other English players to operate. The second England goal is a good example, with Dele Alli getting pretty much a free header. (Though I'm pretty sure someone was offside, so I'm not certain that goal should've counted)

On the whole this was a good result, but I'm still not convinced England have shown what it takes to beat Russia or Croatia. And France or Belgium are waiting in the final.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Also... damn there were a lot of cute female Swedish fans in the stands.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Also, I mentioned how my company has a hot Swedish intern, and I messaged her after the game to gloat, and she was a good sport about it, and then we started talking a bit about the other teams, and she said, and I quote,

1530981511042.png

So, Bubble, you've got a hot Swedish girl rooting for Belgium for you.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Also, I mentioned how my company has a hot Swedish intern, and I messaged her after the game to gloat, and she was a good sport about it, and then we started talking a bit about the other teams, and she said, and I quote,

View attachment 27176

So, Bubble, you've got a hot Swedish girl rooting for Belgium for you.
Tell her thanks...maybe in a not-too-bhamv-way.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I think the Croatian goalie was just hit by a laser.

jwhouk

jwhouk

There is something to be said for Golden Goals.

blotsfan

blotsfan

If there is any sport that doesn't have the right to say "our sport is too high-scoring for sudden death to be fair," it's soccer.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

If there is any sport that doesn't have the right to say "our sport is too high-scoring for sudden death to be fair," it's soccer.
Soccer, a slightly exaggerated description: You can't score during play, can't miss during the shootout.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Oh boy.

Это исправление, товарищи?

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Oh boy.

Это исправление, товарищи?
We'll know for sure after the shootout, but yeah.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

But no.

jwhouk

jwhouk

До свидания!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Bubble181

Bubble181

:cry::cry::cry:

Dave

Dave

Sorry, Belgium. But I did predict France to win it all way before the World Cup began, so I might win some cash in a pool.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Go France!

blotsfan

blotsfan

@Bubble181 that gif is from the music video "mmmmbop" which sounds similar to Mmbape.

Unless you're asking why I'm rooting for France and thats because Mmbape is literally the most exciting soccer player I've ever seen.

Bubble181

Bubble181

@Bubble181 that gif is from the music video "mmmmbop" which sounds similar to Mmbape.

Unless you're asking why I'm rooting for France and thats because Mmbape is literally the most exciting soccer player I've ever seen.
I guessed it was Hanson, but I hadn't made the mbop/Mbappé connection...they don't really sound the same to me.
But yes, Mbappé is a great player, he'll be "the revelation of the tournament" no doubt and one of the big names in four years' time.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I happened to notice something in the background of a certain webcomic. I think we now know who Phil Folglio is rooting for.

(Note the saying in the background of the second panel...)

Dave

Dave

1-0 England early. Like REALLY early.

Dave

Dave

Croatia has tied it up. England have missed LOTS of opportunities.

Dave

Dave

Croatia 2-1 in extra time. It might NOT be coming home.

jwhouk

jwhouk

It's not coming home. :(

I wanna meet the person who had France-Croatia in their brackets.

EDIT: Oh, and it seems that one-nil is the most dangerous lead in soccer.

blotsfan

blotsfan

That makes sense, as it is the smallest a lead could possibly be, and by virtue of it requiring the fewest goals possible for there to be a lead, it generally allows for the most time for the team that is losing to make up the deficit.

--Blotsfan

Dave

Dave

It's not coming home. :(

I wanna meet the person who had France-Croatia in their brackets.

I had France-Brazil, which got ruined when they ended up on the same side of the bracket.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I had France-Brazil, which got ruined when they ended up on the same side of the bracket.
I had Belgium-Germany, which got ruined when the Germans forgot how to play football.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I hate this game.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

jwhouk

jwhouk

"Sorry this video does not exist."

blotsfan

blotsfan

It's video of football coming home.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Shoot. Maybe something went wrong with it.

Basically, it was Homer Simpson jumping the Springfield Gorge. He had a British flag, and the World Cup waited on the other side.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ok, now, despite my disappointment, on the whole I'm still proud of what England accomplished this tournament. They sent a very young team, with several notable absences due to injury (like Adam Lallana and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain), but nonetheless still managed to get to the last four of the World Cup. They played as a cohesive team, with everyone knowing their role in the overall game plan, and generally speaking they did well in the games they played. Several players will leave this World Cup with boosted reputations and transfer fees, such as Maguire and Pickford. Hell, they even managed to win a penalty shootout.

Sure, this result is disappointing, because I'd say this was probably the most "winnable" World Cup in recent memory. But still, well played to the lads, now let's get ready for Euro 2020.

Also I hope the third place match against Belgium will be a proper game, with first-choice teams for both sides. Harry Kane's still chasing the Golden Boot so I hope Southgate sends out a full strength side.

Just Me

Just Me

Football is still coming home.
Germany didn't win the cup in 2006 with a young team, and then again didn't win in 2010. By 2014 the team was ready. England just gotta play the long game.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Whelp, well played to Belgium. It wasn't the best of matches, but both sides took the game seriously and there was some good football on display at times. I think this match was a good example of one of England's biggest problems this tournament: an inability to finish. England had chances, quite a few of them too, but either they were off target, or too weak to really trouble the keeper, etc. Or, in at least one case, there was a Belgian defender coming in to clear the shot off the line. Dunno how this can be fixed, but if England learn to put their chances away, then hopefully there's a bright future ahead.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Congratulations @bhamv3 on a well-deserved fourth place!

bhamv3

bhamv3

Congratulations @bhamv3 on a well-deserved fourth place!
IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING, FOURTH PLACE'S COMING HOME...

jwhouk

jwhouk

IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING, FOURTH PLACE'S COMING HOME...
29 spots better than the USA... :(

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'd just like to say that I successfully picked the winner for every match from the knockout stage onwards. I slightly regret not betting any money this tournament.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Dave

Dave

Well the third panel got there by kicking everyone else's ass.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Yeah was France that big of a surprise? I know they weren't the favorites but I thought they were in the "second tier" of contenders pre-tournament.

bhamv3

bhamv3

France were among the pre-tournament favorites. They had ridiculous levels of depth. They could've sent another two or three teams to the World Cup, and would still have been competitive.