Windows 7 XP Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt²

Ok, so Patrthom got me curious on the abilities of Windows 7 using the XP mode. Personally I haven't used it yet nor have I needed to because I've been able to get the applications I've needed to run, working in Windows 7.. even 64 bit. (in my case, Star Trek Voyager Elite Force, a Quake 3 beta engine version which was released before the Quake 3 engine had been finalized, released in 1999.. which I got to grudgingly install and run in Win 7 Pro 64 bit.. Windows itself refused to run it's installer, (macromedia) but once I copied the contents of the cd to the desktop and ran the setup in compatibility mode, it took about 10 seconds - WHOOSH! - and was installed. )

So I'm curious what anyone has needed to use the XP mode for and how has it worked so far?

I'll be able to do more experiments once I finally get a copy of Win7 of my very own, but I've used VirtualPC plenty. The WinXP 'compatibility mode' is, in reality, just a VM with a Microsoft-approved copy of WinXP installed within it. I expect it will behave similarly.

--Patrick

Never had to use it, but installed it when it came out to see how it worked. It's exactly what you'd assume it is, a Windows XP install inside your Windows 7. So after looking around a bit I threw it off again since I really have no use for it. Seemed to work fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.