Why didn't you like Firefly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MindDetective said:
On a related note, I kinda would like to introduce my girlfriend to Firefly but she's more of a fantasy fan than science fiction and is extremely critical of a lot of TV shows and movies (regardless of genre). I wouldn't be hurt if she disliked it, of course, but it is always nice to be able to share something that strikes a chord with you. How would you go about introducing Firefly to a friend, family member, etc. that was in a similar situation?
My GF is pretty far from a Sci-Fan, but she enjoys anime and some fantasy. I simply told her that Firefly was a series that really touched me and after a couple of episodes she'd be hooked for sure. So when we bought the series, I would watch 1-2 episodes a night with her and sure enough, within 5-6 episodes she was a fan.

O

Oddbot

Chibibar said:
Some of my friends "hate it" mainly because it is a mix of two "opposite" worlds of Cowboys and Space exploration (I think it mesh REALLY well)
I might have found that part jarring as well but years of enjoying Cowboy Bebop and Trigun had accustomed me to the space western way before Firefly came out.

R

Rubicon

Reboneer said:
Mav said:
Even the little things like no sound effects in space due to budget reasons
Since when was that due to budget reasons?
I may be wrong but IIRC on the special features of the dvd set, Whedon explains how they didn't really have a ton of money when it came to any of the space stuff, the budget was spent on the CGI so they went without sound but he liked that cause he thought the soundless vaccuum of space was a better effect.

My GF likes the show, but not remotely as much as I do. She says that she feels like the series as a whole lacked any kind of definitive direction or unifying experience, but that it was getting much better towards the end.

She agrees that Fox made a stupid decision to cancel, because she thinks that she would have really liked the (had it existed) second season of the show once Whedon really got things up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.