Which is Worse?

Which OS is worst?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt²

Please answer a question for me in this poll.

I had a friendly debate 3 years ago with the head of the IT department at the local community college, it was the start of term and I was in a programming class. I had just purchased my new laptop which had Vista on it, and I was having a one second delay in movement in a Quake 3 based game (ten years old!) on it, even though I had plenty of memory. I was anxious to get my MSDNAA renewed so I could download a new version of Windows XP to put on this laptop, to which he said "Well you better get used to it, Vista's here to stay" .. and to which I replied "They said the same thing about Windows ME"... never heard another peep out of him since!

From what I remember, ME was a cluster of failure and crashing.

Vista was a resource hog, but it at least ran relatively stable. Going to have to go with ME here.

M

Matt²

From what I remember, ME was a cluster of failure and crashing.

Vista was a resource hog, but it at least ran relatively stable. Going to have to go with ME here.
Ya know I tell this to everyone.. but maybe it's 'cause I work with computers all the time... - I've NEVER had a bad time with ME like everyone else has.. I know people that curse ME up and down, but personally, I liked it. Maybe I was just lucky and had a good computer and no issues, but I certainly never had a buttload of negative issues I can remember.. the only issue I can remember having periodically was the TCP/IP stack corruption which I was able to fix with the new (at the time) system restore. I loved and still love that feature.

...and I can't believe I hit my own WRONG button.. I meant to vote for VISTA and XP no service packs, not ME.

I was doing internet support when ME was big, and I hated it. It was absolutely horrible, and it was all ME's fault. The restore feature didn't always help, and I can't even tell you how many times I had to rebuild the tcp/ip stack for dialup customers.

A lot of the problems with Vista was hardware and software compatability. People wanted their 10 year old hardware to work when manufacturers didn't make updated drivers. Software makers also drug their feet at updating their software for it. It was a bit of a resource hog, but most of those problems have been straightened out.

I would much rather deal with vista than xp or any previous version of windows.

ME was a piece of trash. Vista's only problem was getting rushed out the door a year too early. Windows 7 is what vista was supposed to be.

ME was a hastily released "upgrade" to 98 that mashed some of the features intended for the next release of NT (2k, XP) into 98 because they could get 2k to a point where it would work for consumers, and xp was still years away.

It was a horrible abomination, and 98 was significantly more stable than ME.

Given that ME was sold as a consumer OS (it was never meant to be used in businesses, long after they stopped selling ME they were still selling 98) MS didn't feel they really had to work on it that much. But it did tarnish their reputation, and gave Apple a not-insignificant opening (which they didn't use all that well, but they did gain more traction during that time than they would have if MS was on the ball)

So, yeah. I keep copies of 95, 98, 2k, XP, and now win7 around for various uses, but ME, like Vista, is destined for that dark pit in my heart where it will have never existed if I wish hard enough. (actually, I quite liked vista, but I understood its limitations so never had any problems with it...)

D

Disconnected

I have never had a problem with vista, had a few with XP and never used ME.

Definitely ME. Slower than 98, crashed when you breathed on it, at times seemed to have daily virus/security bulletins released about some damn thing.

XP was a breath of fair air in comparison, and Vista at least did not have the crashing problem.

I...I never used Grue...not the way he used me! :'(

I was doing internet support when ME was big, and I hated it. It was absolutely horrible, and it was all ME's fault. The restore feature didn't always help, and I can't even tell you how many times I had to rebuild the tcp/ip stack for dialup customers.

A lot of the problems with Vista was hardware and software compatability. People wanted their 10 year old hardware to work when manufacturers didn't make updated drivers. Software makers also drug their feet at updating their software for it. It was a bit of a resource hog, but most of those problems have been straightened out..
Prety much this.

Worked Internet Tech Support as well from 2000 to 2003, not very fond years.

Most of ME's troubles (that I ran into) were due to nobody knowing how to properly write WDM drivers instead of the good ol' VXDs. The leaner you ran ME, the more stable it became. Vista, on the other hand, tells you that you may not use any driver which hasn't been blessed by The Pope.

--Patrick

I hated ME with a passion. Straight out of the box, brand new Dell $2000 laptop the damned thing crashed. On the bright side it only crashed when I tried to get it on a network or the internet (dialup.) I loaded Win2k and it ran for 7 years with out a hitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.