Where did computer, smartphone, games start it all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt²

I remember having a C64 in the mid to late 80's, and spending HOURS copying program lines from a book into the thing, pressing RUN and have the program error out at like line 264 or something... I'd check the line verbatim and find it perfect.. I didn't know ANYTHING about programming and the book was simply a book instructing what to program, not what each function was.. so I was very angry, frustrated and disappointed, and I had no one to help me figure out what the error was. ... Flash forward 20 some years and I found out it was probably a faulty chip in my C64 that was the actual problem! (explained the graphical errors that at the time I didn't know what they were?)

But such was the early end of my programming career...

C

Chibibar

I remember having a C64 in the mid to late 80's, and spending HOURS copying program lines from a book into the thing, pressing RUN and have the program error out at like line 264 or something... I'd check the line verbatim and find it perfect.. I didn't know ANYTHING about programming and the book was simply a book instructing what to program, not what each function was.. so I was very angry, frustrated and disappointed, and I had no one to help me figure out what the error was. ... Flash forward 20 some years and I found out it was probably a faulty chip in my C64 that was the actual problem! (explained the graphical errors that at the time I didn't know what they were?)

But such was the early end of my programming career...
I remember I use to check out the basic book on games. It is pretty neat. They have this program call Star Trek which you code literally thousands of line and it is ascii graphic. I couldn't figure out what I did wrong since I copy word for word and even try to check the code, but I never got it right :( some of the simpler games (like 500 lines of codes) work just fine.

M

Matt²

I believe that would be the defective chip glitch I mentioned..same scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.