When will Star Wars get its reboot?

When will Star Wars(OT) get a reboot?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JCM

And pigs will fly, because after all the wishful thinking by non-fans, those who follow SW will stop buying it the second someone says that a reboot will happen.

We already have SW:Infinities, ala "What if" for Star Wars, for alternative takes on the same story

Rob King said:
\"drawn_inward\":9qenot8v said:
AshburnerX said:
ThatNickGuy said:
Then again, they COULD do a series of movies with the Knights of the Old Republic timeline.
Yeah, but that would make TOO MUCH GOD DAMN SENSE!
I really wished they had gone this route instead of the prequels. It could have still been a story about a fallen Jedi, but w/o any of the characters that we know. I don't want to see a young Yoda running around.

I don't think they'll reboot the OT for a long time. I'd say more than 10 years from now.
If they reboot anything, they need to reboot both of them. I'm not saying that the Original Trillogy needs rebooting, but there is a bit of a disconnect between the Prequels and the OT.

That being said, the Star Wars universe is so strict for continuity ... any reboot would have to be simultaneously exactly the same and totally different from the originals, and I don't know if I trust anyone to strike a balance. I'd like to see Dash Rendar in Echo Base. I don't want to see him engage in plot-affecting dialogue with the leads.[/quote:9qenot8v]Meh.

If one keeps up with the expanded Universe, not so much. Lucas wrote in the force Unleashed novel/game that Galen Marek/Starkiller got the whole rebellion started-

The complete story is here http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galen_Marek

For any confusion to happenings, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_Star_Wars for the whole timeline, and http://www.theforce.net/timeline, where they have every canon story lined up in order of when it happened.
Other handy links would be- http://timelineuniverse.net/StarWarsTimeline.htm

So, a reboot is only wishful thinking by non-SW fans, because there is no need for it.

Star Trek was like a Saturday morning cartoon/sitcom, with every episode being some new threat/planet/situation with a few underlying long-term stories Only later ST like DS9 had an epic non-sitcom feel, but then it was the one that felt the least like Star Trek. Easy to reboot.

Star Wars is a long narrative, with much happening in literature, games, and other media, but all connected, and catalogued. No need to reboot it, nor will it ever be rebooted, as only non-fans would want a reboot anyway, and fans are happy enough to enjoy the various sagas within its narrative.

And I doubt anyone is stupid enough to throw away the lucrative SWbusiness model of today and lose every fan by doing a reboot.

BlackCat said:
excluding obsidian's lame attempt at the utter crap that was kotor 2
:slap:

KotOR 2 ruled, and the bugs will get worked out, one day....one day....

Anyway, yeah, a reboot is unlikely to happen for a loooong time.
If TOR MMO is succesful, I expect we'll get some movies from that era 5-10 years from now. If not, ho knows.

Star Wars already had a reboot in the late 90s with the "special edition" remakes that were released in theaters.

JCM said:
Rob King said:
If they reboot anything, they need to reboot both of them. I'm not saying that the Original Trillogy needs rebooting, but there is a bit of a disconnect between the Prequels and the OT.

That being said, the Star Wars universe is so strict for continuity ... any reboot would have to be simultaneously exactly the same and totally different from the originals, and I don't know if I trust anyone to strike a balance. I'd like to see Dash Rendar in Echo Base. I don't want to see him engage in plot-affecting dialogue with the leads.
Meh.

If one keeps up with the expanded Universe, not so much. Lucas wrote in the force Unleashed novel/game that Galen Marek/Starkiller got the whole rebellion started-
Oh, I'm familiar with the Expanded Universe. Not to wag my e-peen, but I've got a shelf of over one hundred star wars novels, and I've read all but three.

I meant there's more of a stylistic and/or cinematographic disconnect. I wish they had neutered themselves in the Prequels and made it look like it was all done with models and miniatures, but that just wouldn't make sense to do.

JCM said:
Sadly, with the special editions, the old SW is also full of CGI
I have to admit, I was surprised to see the new emperor in my DVD of Empire. But it wasn't that jarring to see.

So if a bloke such as myself wanted to play a kick ass Star Wars game on his PS3 which game would that be? Looks like there are a few...

Rob King said:
JCM said:
I have to admit, I was surprised to see the new emperor in my DVD of Empire. But it wasn't that jarring to see.
The single most jarring thing added to those DVDs is Hayden Christianson ghost at the end of Jedi. Ugh.

Frankie said:
Rob King said:
JCM said:
The single most jarring thing added to those DVDs is Hayden Christianson ghost at the end of Jedi. Ugh.
Yes, that one I DID take issue with. What was wrong with the older actor? And his stupid smirk. Ugh, I want to shoot that kid in the face.

C

Cuyval Dar

AshburnerX said:
GeneralOrder24 said:
AshburnerX said:
ThatNickGuy said:
Then again, they COULD do a series of movies with the Knights of the Old Republic timeline.
Yeah, but that would make TOO MUCH GOD DAMN SENSE!
The world needs more HK-47.
HK-47 is in Star Wars Galaxies. Yes, he somehow survived 10,000 years and made it to the time of the New Republic. He is NOT happy.
Don't you even dare. We don't talk about the NGE, not in these Intarwebz.

-- Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:03 am --

Bubble181 said:
BlackCat said:
excluding obsidian's lame attempt at the utter crap that was kotor 2
:slap:

KotOR 2 ruled, and the bugs will get worked out, one day....one day....
++
I'm playing thru K2 with the TSLRP that was leaked onto torrent sites last year, until dstoney and zybl2 beat Team Gizka to the punch.

Also, a SW reboot, even if it was necessary (I'm thinking only to eliminate the massive clusterfuck that was Prequels/NJO/Legacy) would not happen for at least 70 years after Lucas kicks the bucket. And that's only if LucasFilm doesn't pull a Disney.

I remember last April Fools day, it was announced that Zack Snyder was doing a remake of Star Wars. Honestly, I'd think that'd be pretty cool. :paranoid:

I maintain my hope in Dashus.

-- zo aug 09, 2009 9:33 pm --

Heck, wait for dstoney if you must, I'm sure both of those mods'll be OK at least. The beta product, though, really is mostly unplayable and unfinished. Might as well play vanilla, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.