Whats for Dinner?

Does cheese count as paleo?
Nope, fairly sure that's one of the big no-nos, but it fits pretty well in low-carb/keto. You can pry the coagulated casein from my cold, dead hands--at least for dietary/health reasons, I'd give up cheese for moral reasons if I were sufficiently persuaded.

figmentPez

Staff member
I made chili in the crock pot that you guys gave me! Thanks again for all that you've given me, not just the gift bundle when I got out of the hospital, but years of friendship, support, advice, entertainment, and so much more.

Pot roast slowly braised in red wine and beef stock, over mashed potatoes heavily laden with butter and parmesan cheese, with the vegetables it roasted with, all smothered in gravy made from that braising liquid. It's leftovers from last night's dinner, and since I'm out of potatoes, tomorrow night's dinner is going to be tacos made with this same beef, with some crema, fresh squeezed limes, pickled onions, and cotija. Y'know, assuming I can find Cotija this week.

Pizza, from the next town over. After so many years of being stuck in a pizza desert, where only the big chains operated, it is so nice to get back to a place with an honest to god pizza parlor.

Smashburger's Turkey burgers, mine doubled with extra cheese, wife's is regular; and the Smashfries.

I may reconsider my take on In 'n Out after this...

I have only had Smashburgers once in my life. Dinner on November 8th, 2016. It was good, but I can never have it again thanks to the association.

I found out from my local amazing breakfast joint (Irish breakfast joint run by an Irish family) that all the black pudding you eat in Canada is generally bullshit because of some archaic ass embargo on the real stuff. It's just dyed white pudding.

I was so mad.

I found out from my local amazing breakfast joint (Irish breakfast joint run by an Irish family) that all the black pudding you eat in Canada is generally bullshit because of some archaic ass embargo on the real stuff. It's just dyed white pudding.

I was so mad.
If you ever make it across the border, the GarryOwen Irish Pub in Gettysburg, PA has the real thing

Man, I don't know if it's just that they're still new up here and trying to put a good foot forward but holy fucking shit is Popeye's a billion times better than KFC or Mary Brown's. Embarrassingly so.

Man, I don't know if it's just that they're still new up here and trying to put a good foot forward but holy fucking shit is Popeye's a billion times better than KFC or Mary Brown's. Embarrassingly so.
Oh man... good Popeye's. I had good Popeye's once, at ATL, on a stopover on a flight into Research Triangle Park. Spicy chicken, fried well, juicy and crispy... it was the stuff dreams - and cooking careers - are made of. I really need to up my frying game. I can do a lot of things well, but deep frying food tends not to be one of them.

I disagree a bit. I think the biggest problem most folk have is temperature of the oil.
I DID consider mentioning it, and I don't think you're wrong (which is why I suggested adjusting the cooking time), but so many countertop fryers don't come with temperature controls, they're just on/off (if they even have that!) so cooking time ends up being the only real way to adjust doneness.
And I suggested shortening (heh) it a bit because of course the food will cook a little longer before you manage to drain all the oil off it.

--Patrick

Miso soup and gyudon. The Yoshinoya frozen topping pouches are good (and can be found in most Asian markets), but I think the Ajinomoto one is a bit better. The sauce is not quite as sweet, almost like onion soup. Maybe it's because it more closely resembles the gyudon I get at my favorite Japanese restaurant.

I disagree a bit. I think the biggest problem most folk have is temperature of the oil.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner... though not for lack of trying on my part. I was using the frying thermometer that came with my countertop deep fryer. It's just horribly inaccurate and/or too slow to be used as a frying thermometer. I tried it yesterday with the thermometer just clipped to the inside of the big deep pot I was using in place of the too-small countertop model, and watched it fail to keep track of the rapid temp change that comes from dropping frozen spring rolls into hot oil. Then I used my two digital thermometers, which had a 6 degree temp difference between each other, but a 40 degree temp difference between their average and the temp on the analog thermometer.