What Pop Culture Makes You Proud to Be American?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElJuski

Staff member
Shamelessly ripped from this great AVClub article: http://www.avclub.com/articles/american ... e,29967/1/

What piece of pop culture makes you proud to be an American?

Well, number one for me, of course, is Achewood. Goddamn does Christ Onstad know how to write, and it's amazing how well he can characterize obsessions of Americana (although he takes the foodie angle way too far for my liking). Onstad is a brilliant writer born and raised in the throes of American pop culture, and it shows.

Another piece of pop culture that makes me want to wave a flag is the Venture Bros, which is such a wonderful representation of American pop culture in general, which is America's major and most fabulous export. The shows energy and exuberant, parody-intensive universe is a love letter to the one thing America gives freely to itself and the world--pop culture itself, the mythology of the now, the zeitgeist of a teen nation. Which brings me to...

Nirvana. Hot damn do I love rock n' roll and holy shit do I love Nirvana. They may be overrated, but they are a definitive sound and Cobain is a definitive voice of the disilusioned youth I had the chance of growing up right after. And, though Nirvana gives all credit to the Pixies (the Japanese fucking love the Pixies, apparently), Nirvana has that weird energy I could only imagine coming from the disenfranchised, yet naive youth in America.

Lastly, of course, there's shit like The Simpsons which is now a universal staple...and Bruce Springsteen, fighting for the working man, his iconic song forever misinterpreted by idiots and Reagans everywhere.

NOW HOW ABOUT YOU FUCKERS?

ElJuski

Staff member
Bowielee said:
I really don't think Achewood is pop culture.

Geek culture, yes, but pop culture, no.
:blue: and these are exclusive......hhhhhhoooooowwwwwww? ? ?

?

?

ElJuski said:
Bowielee said:

?

?
The pop in pop culture stands for Popular, as in popular with the general populace.

ElJuski

Staff member
Bowielee said:
ElJuski said:
Bowielee said:

?

?
The pop in pop culture stands for Popular, as in popular with the general populace.
Yeah, well, when you have a country whose main export is different popular cultures, pop culture becomes an expanse. But that's okay, you can continue to believe that geek culture doesn't comprise of pop culture.

Or, you know, be anal about it on what was supposed to be a fun, easy going thread.

ElJuski said:
Or, you know, be anal about it.
Does Bowielee have much option? :paranoid:
To relate to Juski's point however, I give you:
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Fs7IpNVCo:3kvqtuz0][/youtube:3kvqtuz0]
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT8maUTzE48:3kvqtuz0][/youtube:3kvqtuz0]
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FET09MYis_g:3kvqtuz0][/youtube:3kvqtuz0]
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRwNr9gp1jo:3kvqtuz0][/youtube:3kvqtuz0]

OK, I mean popular in the mainstream.

Ask the average person on the street what Achewood is and they will not know.

Ask the average person on the street what world of warcraft is, and they will know.

I'm not trying to be nitpicky, but I can guarantee you that the vast majority of the american populace doesn't even know that Achewood exists.

Bowielee said:

Ask the average person on the street what world of warcraft is, and they will know.

I'm not trying to be nitpicky, but I can guarantee you that the vast majority of the american populace doesn't even know that Achewood exists.
^ this, basically. as cool as achewood is, it isn't pop culture. ez rock, rap, and mtv are pop culture. a trendy webcomic is not pop culture. a cartoon for stoners is not pop culture. pop culture is where talent goes to die.

if you ever told kurt cobain that he was one of your favorite pop culture icons, he probably would have cried.

Gurpel said:
Bowielee said:

^ this, basically. as cool as achewood is, it isn't pop culture. ez rock, rap, and mtv are pop culture. a trendy webcomic is not pop culture. a cartoon for stoners is not pop culture. pop culture is where talent goes to die.

if you ever told kurt cobain that he was one of your favorite pop culture icons, he probably would have cried.
Or commited sui...

oh..

ElJuski

Staff member
Bowielee said:
No, that is exactly what you are trying to do, is be nitpicky. Just fucking say what pop culture makes YOU proud as YOU DEFINE it or get the fuck out of a lighthearted thread, man.

ElJuski

Staff member
Also, having just fully digested the Kurt Cobain thing...

LOOK AROUND YOU AND TELL ME HOW KURT COBAIN DIDN'T HELP DEFINE THE MAINSTREAM ROCK N' ROLL SCENE

-- Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:47 pm --

Also: Did any of you read the linked article? That might give you some suggestions beyond your narrow, obviously pissy worldview of what "pop culture" entails.

ElJuski said:

LOOK AROUND YOU AND TELL ME HOW KURT COBAIN DIDN'T HELP DEFINE THE MAINSTREAM ROCK N' ROLL SCENE
well, he did. i never said he didn't. i just said that it is an honour he wouldn't have wanted.

ElJuski said:

-- Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:47 pm --

Also: Did any of you read the linked article? That might give you some suggestions beyond your narrow, obviously * worldview of what "pop culture" entails.
So much for lighthearted eh? :slywink:

ElJuski

Staff member
I know. I would go the Mav route and say modz lck plz, but...fuck it, I've got a two and a half hour drive and maybe, just maaaybe this thread could turn around.

ElJuski said:
I know. I would go the Mav route and say modz lck plz, but...smurf it, I've got a two and a half hour drive and maybe, just maaaybe this thread could turn around.
Well not if I have anything to say about it.

My favorite pop culture icon for America is Transformers by Michael Bay. :twisted:

Personally I'd say Hank Williams. His music just seemed to be truly authentic. He really threw himself out there for everyone to see, and never backed down from it. He lived and died the rock and roll lifestyle before there was even rock and roll. His lyrics translated through to just about any style of music. Most of the early rock stars covered his music when they were starting out, and people still cover his music. "Cold, Cold Heart" was recorded by Tony Bennett, Johnny Cash, Louis Armstrong, Nat King Cole, Aretha Franklin, Bill Haley & His Comets, Norah Jones, Lucinda Williams, Freddy Fender, and others. I'm not a huge country music fan, but I love the classics. I always found it interesting that the last song he recorded was "I'll never get out of this world alive" before dying at 29.

Im not gonna worry wrinkles in my brow
cause nothins ever gonna be alright nohow
No matter how I struggle and strive
Ill never get out of this world alive.
Good enough Juicy?

Yeah, it's definitely a toss up between those two. I know a lot of people just don't like the twangy sound of Williams. Cash probably had more of a direct influence on rock since he was out there when everything was happening.

ElJuski said:
Also: Did any of you read the linked article? That might give you some suggestions beyond your narrow, obviously pissy worldview of what "pop culture" entails.
what? you want me to go into detail about it? eh, fine. need something to do while waiting for the water to boil.

the blues is the most american thing i can think of. the blues are made up of influences from all over, with european harmonies and instruments combined with traditional african musical sensibilities. when it came to playing the guitar, many had no idea how to play it the proper way, so they played it their way, with their own tunings and what-not.

the way the blues evolved was based off of urban migration and travel. the traditional mississippi delta blues grew into something more when many bluesmen followed the rails to chicago. the blues began to fill dance clubs, and gave jazz musicians new musical tools to play with.

eventually, the blues spawned the musical genre of rock and roll, which changed the popular music. the blues started from the bottom and worked its way up to the top, becoming one of the biggest musical genres.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd60nI4sa9A:2p9x4ip2][/youtube:2p9x4ip2]

figmentPez

Staff member
Is Dirty Jobs sufficiently Americana? Seriously, that show is awesome.
"My name is Mike Rowe, and this is my job: I explore the country looking for people who aren't afraid to get dirty—hard-working men and women who earn an honest living doing the kinds of jobs that make civilized life possible for the rest of us. Now... get ready, to get dirty."
A much better celebration of hard-work in America than John Ratzenberger's Made in America (which isn't a bad show, it's just bland in comparison).

Status
Not open for further replies.