What, no Pokemon Go thread?

Tested and confirmed this morning:

When hitting pokestops, as long as you continue on a unique chain, every 10th stop will give you double items and experience, and a guaranteed egg if you aren't full.

waiting 10 minutes between runs will "reset" the chain. So, while there are few more than 10 pokestops in town, I can easily hit exactly 10 in 5 minutes or so by making a quick circle around the main streets near where I live. Once I do that, if I wait 10 minutes (instead of immediately making the run again because the beginning stop has reset by then), I can make the run again and get the double item/xp&egg bonus on the last one again.

I had wondered why I occasionally get stops with 8 or 9 items instead of the usual. Good to know. As far as eggs go, I dunno, whenever I finish one the very next stop gives me another one :p

Tested and confirmed this morning:

When hitting pokestops, as long as you continue on a unique chain, every 10th stop will give you double items and experience, and a guaranteed egg if you aren't full.

waiting 10 minutes between runs will "reset" the chain. So, while there are few more than 10 pokestops in town, I can easily hit exactly 10 in 5 minutes or so by making a quick circle around the main streets near where I live. Once I do that, if I wait 10 minutes (instead of immediately making the run again because the beginning stop has reset by then), I can make the run again and get the double item/xp&egg bonus on the last one again.
10 Pokestops don't exist within 150km of where I live.

:(

figmentPez

Staff member
Even if I'm in an area with 10 Pokestops, I'm lucky if the app doesn't crash before I can collect even a half-dozen.

My app has been crashing and/or freezing a lot less, but the Pokemon I can find in certain areas had changed. Used to be able to catch 1-2 Cubones at my local park each walk, and after the update, they're nowhere to be seen.

My app has been crashing and/or freezing a lot less, but the Pokemon I can find in certain areas had changed. Used to be able to catch 1-2 Cubones at my local park each walk, and after the update, they're nowhere to be seen.
I am seeing a lot fewer Pokemon in general.

figmentPez

Staff member
I ride my bike on a trail that loops around a large drainage ditch near my apartments. It's a popular walking spot. People drive to the area to go walking. Number of Pokestops within range of the walking trail: zero.

Same. Things are bleak near our house too. We were downtown today and I couldn't believe how many stops and gyms were nearby and I caught a Squirtle.
I'm pretty sure you're closer than 150km from a plethora of stops. I thought you were in Dartmouth?

We have 7 in town. SEVEN. 4 are near each other, the other 3 are not. Two gyms, one at the Army Cenotaph, and one at Town Hall. Adjacent "towns" (none are over 1000, most less than 200) are even worse I'm sure.

I'm pretty sure you're closer than 150km from a plethora of stops. I thought you were in Dartmouth?

We have 7 in town. SEVEN. 4 are near each other, the other 3 are not. Two gyms, one at the Army Cenotaph, and one at Town Hall. Adjacent "towns" (none are over 1000, most less than 200) are even worse I'm sure.
We both work in Dartmouth, but we live be out past the airport.

A little more luck and hatching/evolving over the past couple of days.
This was a evolve, finally caught enough Spearows.

Hatched, first I've seen personally.

First one I've ever seen, daughter only has 4 of them.

Evolved, Krabbys were not very plentiful either.

We drove over to Toledo Bend Reservoir today, to make some engagement photos for our daughter, saw exactly NOTHING new on the trip. Just more rats, weedles, and fuckin' pidgeys, on the bright side, I only need 2 two more Pidgeys for the gold on the Birdkeeper medal.

B

BErt

I didn't even know gyms could be level 7....
There is a fire station down the road from me that is level 9 Instinct. I would see if it can go higher, but I don't even have anything strong enough to combat to add support.

So am I the only one that thought this was a cute mobile game but nothing to write home about?

And this is after actually going someplace where it works.

So am I the only one that thought this was a cute mobile game but nothing to write home about?

And this is after actually going someplace where it works.
Not really. I mean, I still haven't even seen a compelling reason to install it in the first place.

--Patrick

It scratches that "gotta catch them all" itch, much like the handheld Pokemon games. That's reason enough for me to play it.

There's a gym just at the end of my street. The game's been out for a weekend and the gym's already occupied by a CP2000+ Gyarados.

I don't think anyone's claiming it's Halflife 3. Yeah, it's a fun diversion as a game. For a mobile game, the pay model is acceptable (in-app purchases that mgiht give you an edge but aren't real deal breakers, everything can be reached by grinding). It's a reaosn to go for a walk instead of lounging in the sofa. And it's certainly social - playing Pokémon is somewhere in the neighborhoud of "walking a dog" or "holding a baby" as far as striking up conversations with random strangers is concerned.

Sam Houston, soldier, statesman, Father of Texas, Pokemon Gym.

Yes the grave of an American Hero is a Gym.
...So? Is this surprisng? The King's Tomb in town (with, yes, actual kings in there) is a gym, too. The "more important" landmarks tend to be gyms, so it's an honor he isn't "just" a Pokéstop.

...So? Is this surprisng? The King's Tomb in town (with, yes, actual kings in there) is a gym, too. The "more important" landmarks tend to be gyms, so it's an honor he isn't "just" a Pokéstop.
They just copied over landmarks from Ingress to make the stops and gyms without regard to their hallowed ground-ness. :p

Sam Houston, soldier, statesman, Father of Texas, Pokemon Gym.

Yes the grave of an American Hero is a Gym.
More people will probably see his grave in a month than used to in a year. Possibly more. Maybe a few of them will look up who he was, and thus some good will come of it.

It's not a GREAT way to get people there, but it probably works.

I wonder why none of these people seemed to care about geocachers wandering around their landmarks. They can do actual damage by going off trail and pulling stuff apart looking for the cache.

For some reason people seem to take staring at your phone as a personal insult.