What is the worst part of your favorite movies?

My favorite movie is Star Wars - ANH, ESB, & ROTJ (Original cut, of course)

ANH:
The whole plot hangs on one gunnery commander telling his gunner to NOT shoot an escape pod. They're looking for plans to the Death Star and live in a universe where droids are common, but they don't fire on a life pod of a ship they are trying to capture with all hands because there are no life signs? Really?

ESB:
The whole Luke/Leia kiss thing.

ROTJ:
Ewoks.

King Caesar in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. We wait a whole movie for this god like monster who is supposedly the only thing powerful enough to take out Godzilla...and most of the fight he just jumps out of the way. Fuckin' let down.

The stupid never-ending love song that starts half way through Top Gun and runs through most of the rest of the movie (not "Danger Zone" and I don't think it's "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin").

The stupid never-ending love song that starts half way through Top Gun and runs through most of the rest of the movie (not "Danger Zone" and I don't think it's "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin").
Take my breath a-waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Yeah I've lost track of how many times I've seen Top Gun. Filmed in and around San Diego, as well as on Miramar where my dad worked for a long time. Plus, the F-14 squadron filmed (The Sundowners) was one of the first squadrons he worked with after joining the Navy.

This all means, of course, that we can't watch the movie without "That's not the right HUD! Those buttons don't fire those missiles! He wasn't outfitted with the correct payloads compared to what he's firing now! That's not how those panels work!" etc.

Yeah I've lost track of how many times I've seen Top Gun. Filmed in and around San Diego, as well as on Miramar where my dad worked for a long time. Plus, the F-14 squadron filmed (The Sundowners) was one of the first squadrons he worked with after joining the Navy.

This all means, of course, that we can't watch the movie without "That's not the right HUD! Those buttons don't fire those missiles! He wasn't outfitted with the correct payloads compared to what he's firing now! That's not how those panels work!" etc.
My husband's not even in aviation and I get to hear all that. It's better for both of us if we don't bother with that movie.

Star Wars: A New Hope

How it should have ended touched on this as well, but it made no sense for a planet-destroying battle station to have to go around a planet to reach a rebel base.

How it should have ended touched on this as well, but it made no sense for a planet-destroying battle station to have to go around a planet to reach a rebel base.

While this is true, it could be explained in that we don't know how often the Death Star can fire that world ending beam. It might have a long recharge.

Of course, being that every tiny minutia in Star Wars has been covered, I'm sure someone out there can tell me -exactly- how often it can fire, and explain to me why I'm wrong.

While this is true, it could be explained in that we don't know how often the Death Star can fire that world ending beam. It might have a long recharge.

Of course, being that every tiny minutia in Star Wars has been covered, I'm sure someone out there can tell me -exactly- how often it can fire, and explain to me why I'm wrong.
Common consensus is that it takes around 24 terran hours to charge the beam on the original Death Star. The second Death Star was modified to have multiple power reactors, and for the superlaser to be able to fire with lower power (ie, no need to use full power when firing on rebel cruisers), which is why the second Death Star could fire repeatedly in the Battle of Endor.

However, even with a long charge-up time, that still doesn't explain why the first Death Star didn't just blow up Yavin and be done with it. Destroying Yavin would doom the rebels on the moon, either by destroying the moon itself, or by sending it flying off into space now that it has no planet to orbit.

fade

Staff member

There's an official explanation in the Databank because it's been asked so many times. Yavin is a gas giant, and it would've absorbed and dispersed the heat from the superlaser.

There's an official explanation in the Databank because it's been asked so many times. Yavin is a gas giant, and it would've absorbed and dispersed the heat from the superlaser.
Of course, then the question becomes "How is there a habitable moon next to a gas giant?" because I'm pretty sure gas giants usually only form within a certain range beyond the habitable zone of a star. I suppose they could have terraformed it with some alien technology but that sounds like complete bullshit.

The best thing Disney could do for the new Star Wars:

Ghost of Qui Gon to Obi Won: "Hey, remember when I told you about mitichlorians? Yeah... I was fucking with you."

Of course, then the question becomes "How is there a habitable moon next to a gas giant?" because I'm pretty sure gas giants usually only form within a certain range beyond the habitable zone of a star. I suppose they could have terraformed it with some alien technology but that sounds like complete bullshit.
Oh! My time to shine! Gas giant moons can be habitable! Whether it's habitable by humanoids like us is another question. Liquid water exists in huge quantities on Jupiter's moon Europa. The tidal forces from Jupiter keep the moon's core very active which (like on Earth) provides heat in deep ocean vents.

One idea bouncing around Jupiter is it's thought to actually be a unique gas giant that was pushed back to its current orbit by another giant that got absorbed into the Sun. Originally Jupiter was thought to have formed and orbited much closer to the Sun, as the general observation of exoplanets has shown many gas giants in the 'habitable' zone of their star. Who's to say the rocky moons of such planets don't exhibit Earth like conditions?

Personally, I didn't hate midichlorians. The strongest argument I've heard against their inclusion (stronger than "you hurt my nostalgia!") was that they weren't necessary to the story; that they didn't add anything. Even then, I think I disagree, since they demonstrate well Jedi existing in a different time than the original trilogy, a time in which science and technology are advanced, and knowledge of the workings of their universe is deep.

I like the Darths and Droids take on midichlorians. If they're in Jedi blood, then they can be transferred via blood transfusion. Qui-Gon injected some of his blood into Anakin, who had been a completely normal boy, in order to help him win the podrace.

Qui-Gon basically created Darth Vader to win a bet.

The problem with mitichloreans is that that take something that was originally a mystical concept and turned it into a scientific one.

I'm sure you guys are familiar with the theory that Superman isn't actually reversing the spin of the Earth in that scene. He's flying so fast he's going back in time, which results in the Earth's spin reversing.

* Superman starts flying in the opposite direction that the earth is moving
*The earth slows down, stops and starts going the other way
*Once he gets back to the point where he wants to be, he stops flying around it.
*Note that the earth is still going in the wrong direction
*Superman starts flying in the opposite direction to get the earth rotating back in the original direction it was going.

Superman made the earth spin in the other direction and THAT was how he went back in time.

AND ANOTHER THING

Superman goes back in time to save Lois. WHAT ABOUT THE MISSLES? Aren't those in flight again? Aren't those cities with millions of people in danger again?

Christopher Reeve is great. Superman is great. This aspect of the superman movie ruins it for me. FOR ME. YOU ARE STILL ALLOWED TO LIKE SOMETHING I DON'T LIKE. Yes, I do have to clarify this point.

*Once he gets back to the point where he wants to be, he stops flying around it.
*Superman starts flying in the opposite direction to get the earth rotating back in the original direction it was going.

Superman made the earth spin in the other direction and THAT was how he went back in time.

AND ANOTHER THING

Superman goes back in time to save Lois. WHAT ABOUT THE MISSLES? Aren't those in flight again? Aren't those cities with millions of people in danger again?

Christopher Reeve is great. Superman is great. This aspect of the superman movie ruins it for me. FOR ME. YOU ARE STILL ALLOWED TO LIKE SOMETHING I DON'T LIKE. Yes, I do have to clarify this point.
Superman is still stopping the missiles. He's gone back in time, but his past self is still there stopping the missiles.

fade

Staff member
The problem with mitichloreans is that that take something that was originally a mystical concept and turned it into a scientific one.
Yeah that was my problem. It killed the mystery, not my nostalgia. It was like it flattened the Jedi as a character type. That and the explanation felt weak.

AND ANOTHER THING

I'm actually not the biggest fan of the first Superman movie. Superman 2 is where it's at.[DOUBLEPOST=1409803203,1409803154][/DOUBLEPOST]
Superman is still stopping the missiles. He's gone back in time, but his past self is still there stopping the missiles.
But then there are two Supermen forever, unless he just kills himself when he catches up to himself.

I'm actually not the biggest fan of the first Superman movie. Superman 2 is where it's at.[DOUBLEPOST=1409803203,1409803154][/DOUBLEPOST]

But then there are two Supermen forever, unless he just kills himself when he catches up to himself.
Yeah, I guess that doesn't make sense. I had thought it that past Superman would then have to go back, but that doesn't make any sense since he wouldn't need to.

I have no idea what happened to the missiles then.

Yeah that was my problem. It killed the mystery, not my nostalgia. It was like it flattened the Jedi as a character type. That and the explanation felt weak.
It didn't add anything explanatory whatsoever, though, so there is still plenty of room for mystery.

I can't believe I'm about to defend this ridiculous bit of bad movie writing, but there wouldn't be two supermen forever. Past Superman would eventually catch up and then go back in time to enact the plan.

I can't believe I'm about to defend this ridiculous bit of bad movie writing, but there wouldn't be two supermen forever. Past Superman would eventually catch up and then go back in time to enact the plan.
But there aren't two supermen. Superman is immune from the time travel effects. In fact, Superman is not going back in time at all. Superman is sending the rest of the earth back in time instead.

But Lois would be rescued, so he wouldn't go back in time to save her.