What good Gamecube games did I miss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
Now that I have a Wii, I can actually go back and play the Gamecube titles I never played. Any good ones I should get?

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 for sure. They're awesome.

If you don't have any old Megaman games, snag the Anniversary collection, it's 1-8 and the arcade fighting games, too.

B

Batdan

Mario Golf

I played that forever it seemed when I had my Game cube setup.

A couple of these I havent gotten around to playing yet but they have gotten good reviews.

Animal Crossing
LoZ: WW
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
SSBM
Mario Kart: DD
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition

L

Lally

Mario Kart Double Dash
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (if you like RPGs -- you can also get the original Paper Mario on the Virtual Console)
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (if you like strategy games or the Fire Emblem series in general)
Super Smash Bros Melee (although it would be kind of redundant if you get/have Super Smash Bros Brawl)

CynicismKills said:
Nintendo is releasing a collector's edition of Metroid Prime 1, 2, and 3 for the Wii in August, I think. Might as well wait for that since it'll have Wii Remote controls for 1 and 2, and it's $50 for all three games. Also New Play Control Pikmin was released a few months ago; same game but with Wii Remote controls. They don't have NPC Pikmin 2 out yet, though.

Few other games off the top of my head:

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Baten Kaitos (and the prequel, Baten Kaitos Origins)
Tales of Symphonia
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Zelda: Wind Waker
Super Mario Sunshine
Eternal Darkness
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Mario Kart: Double Dash

C

Chummer

Eternal Darkness

The Res Evil re-releases and remake and 0.

Um...

W

wana10

zoids: battle legends - it was the xbox mech assault game but with zoids. :toocool:

G

GeneralOrder24

Definitley agree with Eternal Darkness. Also, surprised to not see Twilight princess - the cube version is said to be the correct version, because the map is laid out the same way the ocarina of time map was so you could see it was a sequel/sequelish. The Wii version mirrored the entire game so link could be right handed.

E

EsteBeatDown

I'm gonna throw in a little game called MYSTIC HEROES. It's a hack and slash game like Dynasty Warriors, but not as serious. I played the hell out of it about 2 years ago. I just recently picked it up from ebay for about $10, and it's still tons of fun.

fade

Staff member
Thanks for the tips. I do have SSB Brawl, so from what I've seen, Melee would be, like one of you said, redundant. Definitely will be getting the RE games, since survival horror is my favorite genre.

If survival horror is your favorite genre, I'd absolutely recommend Eternal Darkness and RE:4 above all others.

viewtiful joe is a must have, though you can get it on the ps2 i think.

metal arms: glitch in the system is a fun game, third person adventure with a stupid amount of firepower.

also if you can find it? ikaruga. ikaruga a thousand times over. i fucking LOVE that game. despite being unable to beat the third stage :(

rogue leader is awesome too.

C

Chummer

Piotyr said:
If survival horror is your favorite genre, I'd absolutely recommend Eternal Darkness and RE:4 above all others.
Get the Wii version of RE4 instead of the GC version.

C

Chibibar

Chummer said:
Piotyr said:
Get the Wii version of RE4 instead of the GC version.
Yes.. RE4 for the Wii is awesome.

Now of course if you want to wait, rumor suppose to release Resident evil 1 for the Wii (or could be the set I am not sure) it is rumor since I don't have any hard release date :( just fan sites

W

wana10

twitchmoss said:
also if you can find it? ikaruga. ikaruga a thousand times over. i smurfing LOVE that game. despite being unable to beat the third stage :(
oooooooo, i forgot ikaruga had a gamecube port. i'll second this one, it is an awesome game indeed(and yes, very difficult)

O

Olorin

Super Mario Sunshine might not be as good as Galaxy, but it's still a great game. Fludd is nice to mess around with, sliding on water is awesome and there are quite a few deliciously hard old-school platforming levels.

My most recommended GameCube games:
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Still looks beautiful today and the story and characters are a bit more interesting then most Zelda's. Gameplay is absolutely solid as usual.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance if you like strategic games. Pretty good story with characters you'll care about. I love the strategy gameplay and the rpg elements that let you build a strong team of your own favorite characters.

Paper Mario: the Thousand-Year Door Some of the best writing in a game ever. It's stylish, exciting, funny and I was actually a bit teary-eyed at the end. The battle system is also really great (turn-based, but spiced up with action commands)

J

JONJONAUG

Bowielee said:
Whatever you do, do NOT get Super Mario Sunshine.

God, that game was terrible.
Sunshine was good. It wasn't quite as good as Galaxy or Mario 64, but it was still a very solid 3D platformer.

Y

YAOMTC

Besides the ones others already suggested:

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Lego Star Wars (I and II)

EsteBeatDown said:
I'm gonna throw in a little game called MYSTIC HEROES. It's a hack and slash game like Dynasty Warriors, but not as serious. I played the hell out of it about 2 years ago. I just recently picked it up from ebay for about $10, and it's still tons of fun.
Wow.

Somebody else who has played it.

Only play Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes if you have a Super Mario Sunshine and an Eternal Darkness save on your memory card. :rofl:

Battalion Wars is fun too.

J

JONJONAUG

OK, let's see here...

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Beyond Good and Evil (if you can find it)
Eternal Darkness
F-Zero GX
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
LoZ: Wind Waker
LoZ: Master Quest (if you can find it at a good price, it's a great remix of OOT)
LoZ: Twilight Princess (although the Wii version is better, get that instead if you can)
Luigi's Mansion
MGS: Twin Snakes
Metroid Prime 1&2 (alternatively, wait for the New Play Control versions that are coming out later this year)
Mortal Kombat: Deception
NFL Blitz 20-03
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Pikmin 1&2 (alternatively, wait for the new play control versions, although I found that the GCN controller is better for these games)
P.N. 03
Prince of Persia Trilogy
Resident Evil (remake of 1, 0, 2, 3, 4, and Veronica X)
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
Soul Calibur II
Spider-Man 2
Star Fox: Assault
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II and III
Super Mario Sunshine
Tales of Symphonia
Splinter Cell 1, 2, and 3 (ignore Double Agent)
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2

figmentPez

Staff member
Eliwood said:
CynicismKills said:
Nintendo is releasing a collector's edition of Metroid Prime 1, 2, and 3 for the Wii in August, I think. Might as well wait for that since it'll have Wii Remote controls for 1 and 2, and it's $50 for all three games. Also New Play Control Pikmin was released a few months ago; same game but with Wii Remote controls.
Along these lines, I agree with other posters that Animal Crossing for the Gamecube was great, but from what I hear Animal Crossing: City Folk is mostly the same game, with more content. Plus, there are more likely to be people playing the new one to trade items with and such.

I'll second these games as well:
Beyond Good and Evil
Wind Waker

I'll add to the list:
- Pac-Man Vs. (Seriously, this is one of my favorite multi-player games for real life get togethers. If you have a Gameboy Advance and a link cable, GET THIS GAME!)
- X-men Legends 1 & 2 (the second game had some odd crashes when your inventory got too full, but I loved them so much I worked my way around it.)
- Mario Party #? (If you've never played a Mario Party game, pick one up. 5 is much better than 4, but I've never played 6 or 7, which both use the Gamecube microphone peripheral.)

The mummy parts were definitely the more memorable, but I don't recall the sphinx parts being bad by any means.

AshburnerX said:
Only play Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes if you have a Super Mario Sunshine and an Eternal Darkness save on your memory card. :rofl:

Battalion Wars is fun too.
[spoiler:1z7uzayj]Oh God yes, Psycho Mantis was hilarious.

"It seems you've been playing a lot of Super Mario Sunshine..."[/spoiler:1z7uzayj]

Yeah... the list of saves you'll want for the Twin Snakes is:

- Eternal Darkness
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
- Super Smash Brothers Melee

Status
Not open for further replies.