[Question] What does the post rating "hugs" mean?

I am... and I use hugs for... (choose up to 3)

• Female...sad things

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Female...happy things

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Female...other things

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Male... sad things

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Male...happy things

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Male...other things

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Other...sad things

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Other...happy things

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other...other things

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
Time for another poll! This time I'm wondering if there's a gender social construct dealing with hugs affecting the ratings system.

NOTE: I don't have enough options to represent anything other than a binary gender + other. Choose whatever you feel most closely represents you at this moment, or post your response as a reply to the thread - sorry for the limitation. I hope "other" is inoffensive. I can't change the poll once started, but please educate me if necessary and I'll do better next time.

I have probably given more e-hugs than IRL. Some folks are way too huggy. Back off, you're not family nor even a friend. Handshakes or headnods for acquaintances.

But on here, I usually reserve them for empathy or to be jerk. Depends.

Like GasBandit. I do also use it given any excuse whatsoever with pretty ladies.
Wait, no, that's real life hugs.

Anyway, definitely commiseration, on occasion for happy or other things. I'm more likely to give a hug to a female than a male poster (if known), just as I'm more likely to hug a woman or girl for something good than a man or boy.

The "hugs" rating can mean many things:
"I know that feel, bro."
"That's too bad."
"Aww..." (non-cuteness)
<Generic sympathy>
"That's gonna leave a mark."
"Ooo...ouch."
<Smallest violin>

--Patrick

The "hugs" rating can mean many things:
"I know that feel, bro."
"That's too bad."
"Aww..." (non-cuteness)
<Generic sympathy>
"That's gonna leave a mark."
"Ooo...ouch."
<Smallest violin>

--Patrick
I'm not only colorblind, I'm emotionblind! Similar to the fact that only, maybe 8-16 colors exist in the world, only 8-16 emotions exist.

Thus all of the emotions you've described, save "smallest violin" correlate to "sad" for me.

I do use Smallest violin for hugs too (ie, sarcastic hugs - "Aw, you poor, poor dear, shall I call you a wambulance?") but only when I'm almost certain they couldn't be taken seriously. All other usage is relegated to sympathy/commiseration/sad.

I'm not only colorblind, I'm emotionblind! Similar to the fact that only, maybe 8-16 colors exist in the world, only 8-16 emotions exist.
So you have the fundamentals down, but none of the harmonics?
Perhaps it's just a quantization setting that needs to be adjusted?

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I think I'd have a hard time coming up with 16 emotions. Heck, I can't even think of 8 off the top of my head.

Happy
Sad
Angry
Disgusted
Afraid
Horny

Everything else really is just a synonym of one of the above. Cautious? That's because you're afraid. Sarcastic? Sarcasm is just a form of communication you use when you're angry or disgusted. Amused? Something made you happy. Etc. Etc. Etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1450381399,1450381038][/DOUBLEPOST]Wait, I'm starting to see something else... maybe they aren't individual elements, maybe they are analog sliders! Potentiometers even!

Happiness vs Sadness
Anger vs Serenity
Interest vs Disgust
Confidence vs Fear
Pride vs Shame

Researchers disagree still, but most will accept six basic emotions (must appear without learning in infants, have a unique facial expression): happy, sad, anger, fear, disgust, surprise. Complex emotions build on these foundational emotions, such as jealousy, pride, shame, contempt, embarrassment (different than shame!), guilt, etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1450381679,1450381576][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think I'd have a hard time coming up with 16 emotions. Heck, I can't even think of 8 off the top of my head.

Happy
Sad
Angry
Disgusted
Afraid
Horny

Everything else really is just a synonym of one of the above. Cautious? That's because you're afraid. Sarcastic? Sarcasm is just a form of communication you use when you're angry or disgusted. Amused? Something made you happy. Etc. Etc. Etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1450381399,1450381038][/DOUBLEPOST]Wait, I'm starting to see something else... maybe they aren't individual elements, maybe they are analog sliders! Potentiometers even!

Happiness vs Sadness
Anger vs Serenity
Interest vs Disgust
Confidence vs Fear
Pride vs Shame
There are theories of emotions that posit this kind of thing.

GasBandit

Staff member
I disagree on your definition of sarcastic.
Well, maybe I didn't express myself clearly, but I do maintain that sarcasm is a form of communication, and not an emotion in and of itself.
Researchers disagree still, but most will accept six basic emotions (must appear without learning in infants, have a unique facial expression): happy, sad, anger, fear, disgust, surprise. Complex emotions build on these foundational emotions, such as jealousy, pride, shame, contempt, embarrassment (different than shame!), guilt, etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1450381679,1450381576][/DOUBLEPOST]

There are theories of emotions that posit this kind of thing.
Ooh, surprise, I forgot that one. Maybe it'd be on a slider vs Ennui.

Happy
Sad
Angry
Disgusted
Afraid
Horny

Everything else really is just a synonym of one of the above. Cautious? That's because you're afraid. Sarcastic? Sarcasm is just a form of communication you use when you're angry or disgusted. Amused? Something made you happy. Etc. Etc. Etc.

There's also:

Happy-horny
Sad-horny
Angry-horny
Disgusted-horny
Afraid-horny

... probably also a horny-horny

In the far-flung future, someone discovers that Pixar has secretly made R- and NC17-rated versions of all their films. Childhoods are ruined, millions are made.
Not to be outdone, Dreamworks announces the same thing, but surprisingly very few people take them up on the opportunity to own copies of ShreXXX.

--Patrick

To be explored in Inside Out Episode 2: Attack of the Hormones.
"Alright, now give him an erection for no reason."
'But he's about to walk in front of the class...'
"I SAID DO IT!"[DOUBLEPOST=1450405003,1450404959][/DOUBLEPOST]
In the far-flung future, someone discovers that Pixar has secretly made R- and NC17-rated versions of all their films. Childhoods are ruined, millions are made.
Not to be outdone, Dreamworks announces the same thing, but surprisingly very few people take them up on the opportunity to own copies of ShreXXX.

--Patrick
You'd be surprised...

"Alright, now give him an erection for no reason."
'But he's about to walk in front of the class...'
"I SAID DO IT!"
"HORNY! Did you just touch that memory sphere?"

"Uh... yeah. Was I... was I not supposed to do that?"

"That's a memory of Riley playing hockey with her dad! Now every time she remembers it, she's going to feel... WHY THE FUCK DID YOU DO THAT?!?"