[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

Flash 50:Flash War part 4

*HIGH PITCHED NERD SCREAMS OF JOY*
BART'S BACK MOTHER FUCKERS! The REAL Impulse by the way, not whoever the fuck Bar-torr is. All that's left is Kon-El to escape comic book limbo and we got YOUNG JUSTICE REUNION baby!

I finished All-Star Superman.

I wasn't as blown away as many people were, probably because Grant Morrison's love of some comic book-y tropes clashes with my own views, but it was still very good and the last three chapters were beautiful.

Justice League Dark #1

Pretty standard for a first issue, establishing the players and situation. I like that it draws off No Justice in that "hey, magic is having problems too!" but also calls back to Alan Moore's Swamp Thing as a key plot point being that what's coming has the same chaotic potential as the threat Constantine, Swamp Thing, and the rest of the DC magical community faced in the underside of Crisis.

The magical stuff has always been my favorite part of the DC universe, not just the Vertigo properties like Sandman, Swamp Thing, Constantine, but also the softer stuff like Zatanna, Etrigan, so on, so having an unbiased opinion might be hard because this was absolutely written for me. James Tynion is a strong dramatic writer and horror writer, and after seeing what he accomplished with Detective Comics the last 50 issues, I have complete faith in his turning out an amazing story for Justice League Dark.

Okay, I'm really going to not be getting most monthlies, but I couldn't resist Sandman Universe #1, just to see where things are going.

I'm least interested in Books of Magic. It just didn't grab me.

The other three though? Wow, it's going to be hard trade waiting on those. Everything happening in The Dreaming looks interesting and sings back to old Sandman. So many returning characters and hints of what will be explored--it serves as both the first story and the one intertwining the other stories to the conclusion. The brief glimpse of unexplored culture in House of Whispers has me intrigued. Lucifer was what I thought would be the hardest sell, because I adore Mike Carey's run and its conclusion is one of the strongest senses of finality I've ever seen in fiction on a simple sense of scale. I tried reading the recent revival and just didn't care for it. The writing quality didn't measure up and the storytelling was a huge step backward. I came at this one guarded and ready to dismiss, but the concept presenting ... it makes sense. The parallels to Christianity, I could see that being reason to undo the end of Carey's run simply because that's just how much Lucifer resents God.

I think something really special is being cooked up at DC under this imprint.

I still need to read this week's, but I've been impressed with Amazing Spider-man. First time buying Spider-man, and reading it for that matter, since One More Day. I picked up the series for Ryan Ottley's art, which absolutely delivers, but I'm most impressed with Nick Spencer's writing. There's a lot going on in these books, and I love how little of it is directly tied to Peter Parker. Villains are just going to Villain. Oh, and the last page cliffhangers have been great. Probably won't have the same impact if you don't have to wait 2 weeks to get the next issue, but they're a great hook.

I'm enjoying Bendis' Action Comics and Superman runs, but while I'm not as angry as most fans about the lack of Lois and Jon the scenes with Supes feeling sorrow at them being missing have a lax impact on me as Doomsday Clock shows they come back later making it barely drama at all. Out of all the things I want from a new Superman story(return of Kon-El, Lor-Zod being adopted by the Kents again, Clark hanging out with his friends like a god damned well adjusted person) Clark temporarily losing his family just so he can feel sad wasn't necessary. It ain't the worst Superman series mind you, the New52 stuff had the crappiness down pat, and like I said I'm enjoying it, but its gonna be a while before I can say if it even compares to the stories by Jurgens or Tomasi.

I'm enjoying Bendis' Action Comics and Superman runs, but while I'm not as angry as most fans about the lack of Lois and Jon the scenes with Supes feeling sorrow at them being missing have a lax impact on me as Doomsday Clock shows they come back later making it barely drama at all. Out of all the things I want from a new Superman story(return of Kon-El, Lor-Zod being adopted by the Kents again, Clark hanging out with his friends like a god damned well adjusted person) Clark temporarily losing his family just so he can feel sad wasn't necessary. It ain't the worst Superman series mind you, the New52 stuff had the crappiness down pat, and like I said I'm enjoying it, but its gonna be a while before I can say if it even compares to the stories by Jurgens or Tomasi.
Yeah, I don't get some of the frankly insane overreactions to writing out Lois and Jon. Their absence is clearly part of the plot and not just an "I don't want to deal with these characters" situation, and we'll get a big arc bringing them back in the future. I also have no doubt that Bendis could write Lois Lane so I'm happy to see him focusing on Big Blue, and actually trying to give him a unique voice.

Yeah I'm looking forward to see how he writes Lois, looks like some CRAZYNESS happened over the summer. What I'm...admittedly NOT looking forward to is the possibility of Jon coming back as a teenager instead of a ten year old, which is not needed in anyway. If it works in story I'll eat crow, but the constant aging up/down of young heroes is kind of getting annoying.

My current comics-to-read pile. On the right is my library haul. On the left are purchased books, like the recently acquired LUMBERJANES deluxe editions.

Don't think my comics-to-read pile has ever been this large.

Comics to Read August 16.jpg

My current comics-to-read pile. On the right is my library haul. On the left are purchased books, like the recently acquired LUMBERJANES deluxe editions.

Don't think my comics-to-read pile has ever been this large.

View attachment 27424
I highly approve this pile, especially Strangers in Paradise and ElfQuest, since they're are two of my all-time favorites.

Our library has a decent selection of main stream TPBs, but they have a pretty big selection of independents and one-shots, which I've been devouring this summer. It gives me a chance to try titles I'm not sure I'd want to own. I really need to remember to post them in here.

Got fed up waiting for October, so I've taken to the library for horror comics.

Last night was House of Penance, a delightful (and gory) take on the Winchester House. highly recommended.

Once again, sorry for just pasting social media stuff from elsewhere. It's just easier and less time consuming than redoing it all here.

Anyway, I made a thread of "Piers Reviewed Comics" (a hashtag I made specifically for stuff like this) on the latest stuff I read.

Still keeping up with Old Man Hawkeye. I finally got to see a flashback of what happened when the supervillains won. The heroes basically walked into the fight thinking it was just another routine event. Fight to subdue, deliver a few funny quips, and celebrate after. Instead the villains were loaded for bear and put aside their differences long enough to eradicate whoever faced them. It was almost painful seeing Hawkeye's team get slaughtered.

Granted, supervillain team-ups aren't anything new. In fact, Spidey regularly takes on six supervillains at once. But seeing the villains in Old Man Hawkeye coordinating their powers and making personal sacrifices for a greater goal is unnerving.

Yeah, but it takes place five years before Old Man Logan. In this story, Hawkeye is just starting to go blind from glaucoma. Knowing that he doesn't have much time left, Hawkeye tries to knock off a few final targets. One of the issues features the flashback about Hawkeye's West Coast Avengers getting steamrolled.

Financial reasons with home stuff have forced me to drop most of my pull list, but I still wanted to keep picking up Squirrel Girl and finish the Nancy Drew miniseries.

Nancy Drew #4 starts out really sedate and even silly, and then gets DARK. I hope Kelly Thompson will get to write another Nancy Drew book eventually. You'd think this would be more for kids than her Jessica Jones series, but I haven't seen her Marvel books bare their teeth this way. Similar subject matter, but maybe it never feels dire there because they're superheroes in a superhero world, whereas in Nancy Drew they're just kids, and there's no promise the evils they uncover will treat them with kid gloves.

So I just finished reading the first 2 volumes of James Tynion IV's run on Detective Comics. I liked it...for the most part. I liked seeing the Bat-family working together. I like Clayface's ongoing redemption arc. I liked seeing Jean-Paul Valley back (wasn't he dead?)

What I DIDN'T like is getting to the 2nd volume and everyone talking about giant monsters...

And learn there was a crossover among the Bat-books in between these volumes. A crossover that played a major role in part of volume 2.

I've said this a million times, but this shit is why I stopped reading the majority of the Big 2. If I go from volume 1 to volume 2, there should be no required reading in between. That's how volumes should work.

There's not even an advertisement in either volume for Batman: Night of the Monster Men. Just a tiny editor's note near the end of the second volume. So I went in blind without noticing that Detective Comics #941-942 weren't included anywhere.

Thank Christ for creator owned series these days. Imagine Saga suddenly being interrupted by a crossover with Chew or something, I'm grateful I can enjoy so many comics these days and barely pay attention to DC or Marvel.

It's shit like this that turns me away from giving them another real chance.

It's ironic that I'm nostalgic for the 90s, which were just as bad, if not arguably worse, than today. But back then, there wasn't as much market emphasis on collected editions. And I had more time and patience to keep up on all that.

Last edited:
Well, I dunno, the 8th volume spun it's wheels so hard it might as well have been a filler arc of DBZ. It's just been a steady decline for me.

Oh well, I still have a copy of the first issue signed by Fiona Staples hanging on my office wall to remember the series by.

I'm waiting for the third hardcover of Saga to catch up, but honestly, I think the series reads better if you read it in larger chunks. I thought it had some dips earlier in, but after re-reading the first two hardcovers in a short time span, I really appreciated the overall story even more.

Also, Vaughan and Staples are apparently taking a year off Saga after the last cliffhanger. So, good time to be out of the game.

Izombie volume 1

...hm. It wasn't bad mind you, it just didn't really feel like a self-contained story arc, a bunch of stuff just HAPPENED in it!

Ultimate Spider-man by Brian Michael Bendis

Admittedly a LITTLE shakey start, the constant comments about "being in bad taste" were layed on a little thick, and its yet another new superhero origin story where the MOMENT they reveal themselves...the big leaguers practically kidnap them instead of asking them to come with them politely-BUT-a good start to the character I'd say.

Green Lantern Earth 1

Okay this friggin' BETTER get a sequel, that was easily the best Earth one book I've READ! Superman was a slightly grittier version, Batman...was just Batman, nothing really different there, and Wonder Woman while also good REALLY needs a sequel because its one of the stories that just ENDS ya dig? I just really like this version of the Green Lantern corps, we've seen the corps scrap back together before but USUALLY when they had fully working rings, and everybody trusted each other all ready, I want to see more of how this corps develops.

I started Old Man Quill. It's in the same vein as Old Man Logan and Old Man Hawkeye. Now we can find out what happened to SWORD and the Guardians when the villains got their act together.