[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

Jeph Loeb isn't terrible, the death of his son really fucked him up though. His work since then hasn't been great.

I'm sure if it was an accident or something quick it wouldn't have been so bad, but the dude had to deal with the slow, 3 year cancer ordeal of his teenage son. That's not something anyone would wish on anyone else for any reason.

I find that both Loeb and Sale just aren't as good on their own as they are together. Somehow, whenever those two work together, it's magic. Haunted Knight, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Superman for All Seasons, their trilogy of Marvel series (Daredevil: Yellow, Hulk: Grey, Spider-Man: Blue). I can't explain it, honestly. The two just work really well together.

I say similar things about Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely, who I also feel bring out the best in each other.

Multiversity. It's Grant Morrison at his most Grant Morrisony. Thankfully it's much more coherent than Final Crisis was.

Just read the first issue of The Fade Out the latest book by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. If "latest book by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips" didn't sell you on it already, it's a historical crime noir story set in 1948 Hollywood, about the murder of a Hollywood starlet.

I'm just about to start volume 7 of the Morning Glories TPBs. So far, this has been a fascinating, messed-up ride.

Finish volume 1 of the Archie Comics run of Mega Man. The art is great on every page, which is something I'm not always used to in the comics I've read where the artist has to rush out a lot of dialogue panels. Here it's bright and has lots of eye-catching details. As for the story, the characters are fun. The plot is clunky in parts because it has to retell the first game as a narrative, so the middle two issues deal with differing extremes that Rock's personality goes to. It definitely all comes together in the last issue, and gets pretty funny too. I've ordered volume 2 already.

Every light-hearted aspect is made funnier when put against the context of the Protomen Act 1 and Act 2 albums.

Finish volume 1 of the Archie Comics run of Mega Man. The art is great on every page, which is something I'm not always used to in the comics I've read where the artist has to rush out a lot of dialogue panels. Here it's bright and has lots of eye-catching details. As for the story, the characters are fun. The plot is clunky in parts because it has to retell the first game as a narrative, so the middle two issues deal with differing extremes that Rock's personality goes to. It definitely all comes together in the last issue, and gets pretty funny too. I've ordered volume 2 already.

Every light-hearted aspect is made funnier when put against the context of the Protomen Act 1 and Act 2 albums.
Some things you may not have noticed...

- Aspects of the Megas and Protomen's music have influenced the plot.
- Dr. Light and Dr. Wily making Sniper Joes to finance stuff is explicitly from Act 2: The Father of Death, not the game canon.
the megas.jpg

- Dr. Light's dialog in the above scene is, word for word, the refrain The Message From Dr. Light by The Megas.

Some things you may not have noticed...

- Aspects of the Megas and Protomen's music have influenced the plot.
- Dr. Light and Dr. Wily making Sniper Joes to finance stuff is explicitly from Act 2: The Father of Death, not the game canon.
View attachment 15766
- Dr. Light's dialog in the above scene is, word for word, the refrain The Message From Dr. Light by The Megas.
That is beyond cool. :D

While I have been catching up on Marvel titles I missed (and thank you to everyone that had offered their suggestions), I picked up the first book of Miracleman. It's an interesting read, considering it is one of Alan Moore's earlier works and you can already see him starting to develop ideas and themes he'd explore further in Watchmen. Worth checking out, especially considering its spot in comics history.

Fables 2 and 3: Fucking love this series, all the characters are great, and I love how this series plays on the loopholes of fairy tale spells.

Sandman 3 and 4: Book 3 was fun, bunch of stand alones. My favorite had to be Element Girl going through an emotional crisis because of her super powers.

Book 4 Season of the Mist was REALLY good, I loved how-
there was this huge tension of a battle between Dream and Lucifer and when he gets there Lucifer just says "Yeah, I quit." Awesome.

Ms. Marvel issue 2: Impulse buy at the comic shop, pretty good and I loved the back and forth between her and Wolverine.

Fables 2 and 3: Fucking love this series, all the characters are great, and I love how this series plays on the loopholes of fairy tale spells.

Sandman 3 and 4: Book 3 was fun, bunch of stand alones. My favorite had to be Element Girl going through an emotional crisis because of her super powers.

Book 4 Season of the Mist was REALLY good, I loved how-
there was this huge tension of a battle between Dream and Lucifer and when he gets there Lucifer just says "Yeah, I quit." Awesome.
Ooh, have you not read The Sandman before? Oh man. Damn. I'm really excited for you. If you like The Sandman's version of Lucifer, definitely check out that series when you finish The Sandman. It's excellent too.

Ooh, have you not read The Sandman before? Oh man. Damn. I'm really excited for you. If you like The Sandman's version of Lucifer, definitely check out that series when you finish The Sandman. It's excellent too.
I've heard great things about Lucifer, definitely on my list. I actually read the first two books years ago and have been putting off getting book 3 since...crap high school I think. I have trouble explaining why as well, as if some voice in my head told me "Don't get those books yet, its not the time". Like a premonition that reading them at that time would be a catalyst for the END GAME! RIVERS OF BLOOD, MOUNTAINS OF ENTRAILS, AND THE CASTLE OF DREAM THAT LOOKS KINDA LIKEA PENIS! Or its just an aspy thing, either way it is what it is.

I've heard great things about Lucifer, definitely on my list. I actually read the first two books years ago and have been putting off getting book 3 since...crap high school I think. I have trouble explaining why as well, as if some voice in my head told me "Don't get those books yet, its not the time". Like a premonition that reading them at that time would be a catalyst for the END GAME! RIVERS OF BLOOD, MOUNTAINS OF ENTRAILS, AND THE CASTLE OF DREAM THAT LOOKS KINDA LIKEA PENIS! Or its just an aspy thing, either way it is what it is.
Well, it sort of would be because it has spoilers for The Sandman. So good thing you waited.

@Yoshimickster, you may want to check out Dead Boy Detectives (which is ongoing) once you finish the Sandman trades. It might be a pain to track down all of the stuff before the current series, but it deals with the two kids that Death let roam the Earth instead of passing on and how they've essentially become the ghost version of the Hardy Boys... if the Hardy Boys saw some really sick and twisted shit.

Well, it sort of would be because it has spoilers for The Sandman. So good thing you waited.
There is nothing more awkward than reading/viewing the spin-off before the original series, I am not sure what I'm referring to but the memory of this happening to me has happened before.[DOUBLEPOST=1408846634,1408846284][/DOUBLEPOST]
@Yoshimickster, you may want to check out Dead Boy Detectives (which is ongoing) once you finish the Sandman trades. It might be a pain to track down all of the stuff before the current series, but it deals with the two kids that Death let roam the Earth instead of passing on and how they've essentially become the ghost version of the Hardy Boys... if the Hardy Boys saw some really sick and twisted shit.
I read about that on wikipedia, sounds awesome!

I just read the last issue of Adventures of Superman, and man it has me missing Lois Lane. Superman has been getting a lot better lately in the new 52, but LL has been largely absent, and it's a real shame as she's one of the best characters in comics.

My exposure to comics was very limited until I encountered Sandman.

It was on picking this up that I finally realized that there were amazing stories being told in comic form that I was missing out on. They had struck me as limited and kind of short compared to novels.

Okay, I just found out that there was a comic series based on The Haunted Mansion, and there's no way for me to read it short of coughing up fifty bucks for a hardcover anthology! No libraries! No online...libraries! Nothing! %#$@#&!

Just finished reading the first issue of Gotham Academy. Gorgeous art that lends itself perfectly to the story being told. Lots of atmosphere and the characters are pretty engaging.

Having found and finished The Haunted Mansion (which was unfortunately abruptly ended on an odd cliff hanger), I've moved on to Deadpool Classic. It's everything I've been warned about in a 90's comic, but so long as I read Deadpool in Ryan Reynold's voice, it seems to work.

I also just finished Uzumaki volumes 1 - 3. Really odd, almost comical horror manga with some truly disturbing elements. Can't really recommend unless you enjoy body horror wierdness.

Finally, I just read the first trade of Lucifer. Pretty good, but if I hadn't read all of Sandman first I think it would have been disorienting.

fade

Staff member
I loved classic Deadpool. All the way up to the end of the Tiamat saga, 'Pool was awesome. Kind of lost interest after that.

Necronic

Staff member
Wait, there's a separate comic specifically about Lucifer?

You bet. And thus far it's not bad. I got the first trade from the library, but I've got the whole series on my iPad for when I'm done Deadpooling.

Yes, that's right. (It's literally sitting on my desk - I could have turned my head 30 degrees and gave you the author. Sheesh.)

Actually, I'm a little freaked out by the spinoffs. There was a DBD as you said, Lucifer, Thessaly, the Furies, a House of Mystery one-off, Eve, several Death comics...I know I'm forgetting a bunch. It's quite the universe.

Regarding Uzumaki, yeah, that's pretty much Junji Ito for you. It's definitely horror, but he relies on things just looking really gross and unsettling a lot, too. The worst thing, though, is he tends to end his stories at arbitrary times, so there's almost never real closure to any story.

That being said, though, he's pretty much the main pillar of horror manga and if you're ever wanting to get into the genre his work is where you'd start.

Actually, I'm a little freaked out by the spinoffs. There was a DBD as you said, Lucifer, Thessaly, the Furies, a House of Mystery one-off, Eve, several Death comics...I know I'm forgetting a bunch. It's quite the universe.
They're the good kind of spin-offs, though, where they take the ideas from Gaiman's comic and do something new with it. Lucifer and DBD are especially the case here. I've read the DBD stuff and it's great. Never got around to reading Lucifer, but I've had friends that swear by it and rave about it sometimes more than Sandman.

Wait, there's a separate comic specifically about Lucifer?
I love The Sandman; I've read it many times, and Lucifer wouldn't exist if not for the ideas that come to life in The Sandman.

... but Lucifer is the stronger series. And I say that as a huge Gaiman fan.