"What are you reading?" thread.

Each book has a map of Discworld. It has some lines of longitude and latitude, which are then carved out by a white blob and text that informs the reader that you can't map a sense of humor.

I know this thread is more about books and not graphic novels/ comics, but I read through The Killing Joke yesterday. Not as good as everyone would have me believe. It was kind of anticlimactic I felt. I guess its more of an amazing arc within a larger story than it is its own standalone story.

I know this thread is more about books and not graphic novels/ comics, but I read through The Killing Joke yesterda. not as good as everyone would have me believe. It was kind of anticlimactic I felt. I guess its more of an amazing arc within a larger story than it is its own standalone story.
That is literally my favorite Batman story ever written...

The resolution of that story fully encapsulates the relationship between Batman and the Joker.

I'm pretty much speechless that you don't like it.

The resolution of that story fully encapsulates the relationship between Batman and the Joker.

*shrugs* Only two Batman comics I've ever read, both in this past week, have been Batman Year One, which was EXCELLENT, and The Killing Joke, which was okay. I can only assume that its a much better story when you're more familiar with the history of the two characters, as its more of an analysis of their relationship than an actual story really, but as a standalone, not so much. I never said I didn't like it, but with all the buzz around it, I expected a hell of a lot more from it.

Had to grab a book last minute before boarding a bus to Ottawa. Wound up grabbing Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?
Its a choose your own aventure zombie story. I haven't read a choose your own adventure since I was like 9. This one's slightly more adult, but its obviously not a very invested read. PERFECT for a 5hour bus ride. Very fun read.

Same here! The flas-back, the dark coloring, the way it delves deep into the psychological aspects of both Bats and the Joker is just awe-striking!

You want a really good Graphic novel, read Ronin. You thought Akira was a cyber-punk mind-fuck? THINK AGAIN!

Trying to read Stories, a short story collection which got attention because it's edited by Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantino.

I've read eleven stories. Three were good (and one was by Gaiman, so it's cheating), a couple were alright, but largely these have either fallen flat or dithered away pointlessly. Much as I love Gaiman's work, I don't think we're into the same fiction.

Gotta love Gaiman's attempts to help out struggling writers though.
Most of them seem to be established writers though. Peter Staub, Diana Wynn Jones, Michael Moorcock.

One of the good stories was actually by someone for whom this was her first publication, whereas long-time writers like Straub turned in... garbage. I have to wonder if some novel writers have forgotten the art of the short story since they haven't had to write them to get their feet in the door in years.

*shrugs* Only two Batman comics I've ever read, both in this past week, have been Batman Year One, which was EXCELLENT, and The Killing Joke, which was okay. I can only assume that its a much better story when you're more familiar with the history of the two characters, as its more of an analysis of their relationship than an actual story really, but as a standalone, not so much. I never said I didn't like it, but with all the buzz around it, I expected a hell of a lot more from it.
Yeah, I can see where if you're not familiar with the characters at all that it may put a damper on the story. It's entirely about the Joker and what his fundamental disconnect in understanding what makes a good man a good man. He believes that he can make Gordon just as crazy as he is by just giving him as bad a day as he had. In the end, Gordon proves that he will not break. If anything it's the Joker's story and a character study on him. Of course, being that the Joker is my favorite villain of ANY media, I'm probably biased.

For the record, i'm still pissed as hell that they gave Barbara Gordon the use of her legs back. It totally takes away some of the punch of this story.

Scudd the disposable Assasin. This...is probably the GREATEST independant comic to come out of the 90s. The pop-culture references, the crazy action, I loved I loved it I LOVED IT!

I've given up on Stories. I read one more good one and then three more terrible ones. My wife told me to just stop, that this wasn't doing me any good.

So right now I'm reading more of my Hellboy and BPRD trades while waiting for her to finish the Hunger Games trilogy. Then I can read the novel I wanted and have my fairy tale references at my disposal once more.

I've given up on Stories. I read one more good one and then three more terrible ones. My wife told me to just stop, that this wasn't doing me any good.

So right now I'm reading more of my Hellboy and BPRD trades while waiting for her to finish the Hunger Games trilogy. Then I can read the novel I wanted and have my fairy tale references at my disposal once more.
I got the first 3 TPBs of Hell-boy. The continuity feels a bit confusing in them sometimes.

I got the first 3 TPBs of Hell-boy. The continuity feels a bit confusing in them sometimes.
They did not compile them well at all. Some events in volume 3 stories take place between volume 1 and 2, but you're expected to know them going into volume 2. Then others in volume 3 take place after volume 2, so you can't read them first without events from volume 2 getting spoiled. It's a real mess.

They did not compile them well at all. Some events in volume 3 stories take place between volume 1 and 2, but you're expected to know them going into volume 2. Then others in volume 3 take place after volume 2, so you can't read them first without events from volume 2 getting spoiled. It's a real mess.
I knew it! No wonder it was confusing as hell. When I make TPBs for my comics, I'm puttin' em in correct from start to finish.

Had to put Spider Robinson on hold long enough to start/finish the copy of Watchmen I borrowed. Found it very ... Heinleinesque in character.

--Patrick

The Elder Gods by David and Leigh Eddings
Stop now. Seriously, just stop. You are going to get so pissed by this series. It is mostly written by Leigh, not David, and just does not live up to the expectations of earlier works. Honestly, one book in this series looks at the same events from like 7 different points of view, and just stop reading this now.

K

kaykordeath

Gave up on Super Sad True Love Story and moving on to I Found This Funny.

Just got my first Tankobon of Monster. Surgical drama plus psychological horror all rolled into one! HEIL DR TENMA! Whose name is a weird Astro Boy reference.

Adendum: Tankobon is the correct term to call a manga volume. Gonna start callin' em that now.

Stop now. Seriously, just stop. You are going to get so pissed by this series. It is mostly written by Leigh, not David, and just does not live up to the expectations of earlier works. Honestly, one book in this series looks at the same events from like 7 different points of view, and just stop reading this now.
:\

Unfortunately I have already paid for it and being a kindle book it can't be returned.

:\

Unfortunately I have already paid for it and being a kindle book it can't be returned.
I have a "thing" where once I start a book I can't NOT finish the book. Only once in my adult life have I put down a book and not finished it, Wheel of Time being the culprit. The first book isn't bad, it sets up an interesting world and what could have been a really fun series. But, due to the illness of David, the series just never lived to that potential. Leigh did most of the writing of the majority of the series and you really see what she was responsible for in his other work and really understand by the end of it that David was the imagination behind all of it and Leigh helped with fleshing out his ideas. They were a good team.

I have a "thing" where once I start a book I can't NOT finish the book. Only once in my adult life have I put down a book and not finished it, Wheel of Time being the culprit. The first book isn't bad, it sets up an interesting world and what could have been a really fun series. But, due to the illness of David, the series just never lived to that potential. Leigh did most of the writing of the majority of the series and you really see what she was responsible for in his other work and really understand by the end of it that David was the imagination behind all of it and Leigh helped with fleshing out his ideas. They were a good team.
Man, I got the opposite problem. I start a book and then put it off til months later. Than I read it again and all is right with the woooooooooooorld.

S

Soliloquy

Scudd the disposable Assasin. This...is probably the GREATEST independant comic to come out of the 90s. The pop-culture references, the crazy action, I loved I loved it I LOVED IT!
I could never get into Scudd. I liked the first few comics, but as it became increasingly obvious that the author was just making stuff up as he went along, I lost interest.

I considered picking up The Whole Shebang to give it another shot, but I couldn't justify getting something with that photo of Rob Schrab displayed so prominently on the back. I don't like being shallow or judgmental, but the photo just made me uncomfortable :(.

Dude, I assure you that it's a good read. Plus I laughed my ass off after I realized he was the guy who played "Miniature Cofee" on the Sarah Silverman program.

To Kill a Mockingbird

I had read this once in High School and always intended on returning to it in my adulthood. I recall really enjoying it back in the day, both the movie and the book. And I had purchased a copy of it while still living Toronto, but never got around to reading it.

Now, I'm halfway through it and absolutely engrossed in it.

It's funny. The last book I read was the third Hunger Games book, Mockingjay. And I'd mentioned that the prose was clunky or awkward at times throughout the series.

But Mockingbird? Wow. The prose just flows like quicksilver. Aside from a very rare moment where I personally think a comma might belong (say, in a list of things, where there should be a comma before "and"), it's just such a pleasurable read. Plus, the characters - especially Atticus Finch, of course - are engrossing.

Even though I'm only halfway through it, I've already firmly decided that this is going at the very top of my favourite pieces of literature.

The Strange Talents of Luther Strode
For the past year, I've been hearing nothing but praise from fellow comic book aficionados about The Strange Talents of Luther Strode. Having now read the first volume, I have this to say about it: it's yet another in a long line of derogative, gratuitous, gory comics. The main character is like a blank slate with no personality, the girlfriend has attitude and shows no reason why she likes him, and the villain is a cliche well-spoken Bond villain. The gore is excessive, the swearing is ALMOST on par with Mark Millar's work (which is not a compliment), and the characters are unlikeable. This is not the worst comic I've ever read in my entire life, but it's certainly one of the worst I've read in a long while. Lowest recommendation.​

I hate how violence=adult and awesome in some peoples minds.

I can;t stand Alan Moores From Hell. I like the movies okay (I know, I know) so I picked up the graphic novel and the whole thing left me feeling ill.

Mark Millar's probably the worst offender of that, too, Sin. Both Kick-Ass and Wanted (the comics, anyway) felt like they were written by a 12-year old who suddenly realized they could write whatever they wanted. I'm still amazed by how well done the movies were in comparison.