"What are you reading?" thread.

Recently relocated my on-extra-extended-loan copy of "The Wandering Fire" (Book 2 of the Fionavar Tapestry).
I have 5 days to finish it before my next chance to return it.

--Patrick

Cajungal

Staff member
Just finished We Need To Talk About Kevin, by Lionel Shriver. Oh good, I was sick of sleeping well and not feeling terrified.

Got my copy of Half a King by Joe Abercrombie. Noticed two things right away, barely 330 pages to this. Barely half the size of his previous books. Author did mention it's more of a side story than anything else.

Also someone we all know has read this.

Fickin guy does everything except write books.

Anyways, read the first 3 chapters.... And it's good!

I'm about 15% into The Blade Itself. It's pretty good so far. I don't really like Glokta, but I love reading his chapters, if that makes sense. At first he comes off as an inquisitor that the author wants to come off as sympathetic, since his life sucks. But then I thought about it and realized this character is terrifying. He cannot be threatened. He doesn't love anyone, he hates his life, he would welcome death, but while alive will do what he can. Horrific torture has been done to him, meaning more than with a sociopath, he has no mercy, simply because to him, he's going easy. He has a "in my day, we had to walk 15 miles through the snow" approach to torture--so long as it's less than was done to him, it's not so bad.

That said, gotta take a break from it for now so I can edit Nick's new book.

Just finished Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon. I've read the other 7 books in the series and this is one of the best. I want to reread it already.

Last edited:
Having finished The Wheel of Time and being rather happy with how it was all wrapped up I decided to read another series by Brandon Sanderson.

I just completed the first of the books from the Mistborn series and I wasn't disappointed. I wasn't quite sure about it at first but it rapidly developed into an interesting story which has left me wanting to know more.

I'm also making my way through Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla: Biography of a Genius

Mistborn is fun but do yourself a favor and pick up his Stormlight Archive books. There's only two so far ( The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance) but they are superb.

Finish reading Half a King from Joe Abercrombie. Newest books from this offer and a first of a trilogy that has nothing to do with the first 6 books.

Only about 350 pages but I loved it. I finished reading it in 3 days despite myself.

Next up something different a Bret hart autobiography.

I'm just about to start reading The Dresden Files: Cold Days which doesn't leave too many books ahead of me.

I'm not looking forward to catching up with everyone and having to wait for the release of future books like everyone else :\

I think that with another series I would be frustrated by now how the overarching plot takes so long to get anywhere, but with Dresden i'm just happy to be along for the ride and taking in the individual stories as I would with episodes of a TV show.

I read Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. It was a good story, but it was more like reading someone's journal than anything. I did enjoy it despite it being more boring than my usual fiction choices.
Then I finally found the novel version of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It is different than the anime movie, but not by much. There is a second story included in the book. I thought they were both entertaining. A lot of people on Goodreads whine about the difference between the book and the movie. Aside from it being shorter I felt it was just as good.

Now I've got Blood Song by Anthony Ryan waiting for me once I finish writing this paper.

Blood Song was excellent. It reminded me a lot of Patrick Rothfuss's books. Pretty typical fantasy plot, but very well done. Can't wait to get my hands on the next book in the series.

Now I'm reading The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck.

I am reading Night Watch by Pratchett. It's my first foray into the Discworld books. I've seen that there are guides to the Discworld books, but does it even matter what the order is?

Anyhow, I like it a lot. It's an action/police/thriller with scifi/fantasy elements.

I am reading Night Watch by Pratchett. It's my first foray into the Discworld books. I've seen that there are guides to the Discworld books, but does it even matter what the order is?

Anyhow, I like it a lot. It's an action/police/thriller with scifi/fantasy elements.
I'd only worry about order if you are going to read the Death/Susan Death stuff. In which case I believe the order is...

- Morte
- Reaper Man
- Soul Music
- Hogfather
- Thief of Time

It really only matters in this one case because the events of the first 3 lead into each other and the other two won't make sense without reading the other 3 first.

I have finished the third Mistborn novel and moved on to Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers which I feel is sufficiently in genre.

I'm still pondering if I will go back to the Mistborn series for further books or if I will start one of his other series.

There's only one more book in the Mistborn world right now. It's a different tone than the original trilogy, but it is easily one of my favorite books.

The Ex-Heroes series by Peter Clines. Basically the JLA/Avengers in the aftermath of a Romero style zombie apocalypse, 4 books available so far. Tagging @ThatNickGuy because if he hasn't read them already he might be interested to hear that St Geeorge/The Mighty Dragon makes for a far better Superman than anything DC's put out in recent years.

The Ex-Heroes series by Peter Clines. Basically the JLA/Avengers in the aftermath of a Romero style zombie apocalypse, 4 books available so far. Tagging @ThatNickGuy because if he hasn't read them already he might be interested to hear that St Geeorge/The Mighty Dragon makes for a far better Superman than anything DC's put out in recent years.
Sorry, but you lost me at zombies. I'm sure it's good, but I'm tired of the zombie genre.

I'm 50 pages into it, the main story is just starting to flow, all the background and story basics are in place. So far, not bad, but it hasn't had any of a giggly moments that I associate with Discworld.

The Martian by Andy Weir

I'm a little behind on this one since it's apparently already a bit of a phenomenon on it's way to film adaptation, but this book deserves it. Basically, it's Castaway on Mars.

Finally finished Infinite Jest, and I'm not sure how I felt about it. One of the strange downsides of a Kindle book with this many footnotes is not knowing when it's about to end. As a result, it felt totally abrupt, almost like a non-ending.

Started Horns, and so far it's delightful.

Finished Raising Steam, found it be not be the strongest Discworld novel written. I really just haven't enjoyed the Moist von Lipwig books as much as the earlier entries in the series. There were times I felt more like the book was trying to preach to me instead of entertaining me. Had most the characters you wanted to see (Colon and Nobby, Vimes, Detrius, and even a special appearance of Rincewind) but overall seemed to be more of a... well, a farewell to the characters.

Next up, a continuation of reading the adventures of Honor Harrington, War of Honor by David Weber.

Finished Raising Steam, found it be not be the strongest Discworld novel written. I really just haven't enjoyed the Moist von Lipwig books as much as the earlier entries in the series. There were times I felt more like the book was trying to preach to me instead of entertaining me. Had most the characters you wanted to see (Colon and Nobby, Vimes, Detrius, and even a special appearance of Rincewind) but overall seemed to be more of a... well, a farewell to the characters.
The author is starting to come down with Alzheimer's and has made it clear that he's likely to seek assisted suicide before he completely loses himself to it. At this point, he might just be hedging his bets and finishing out Discworld before he goes out so no one has to scramble through his notes when he's dead and write another book for the series like they did for Hitchhiker's (which at least wasn't TERRIBLE and written by another accomplished writer). Regardless, I suspect he's going to be done with it soon.

Discworld is unique for me. The characters are alive for me. I feel that if the author stops writing, they will remain frozen in time waiting for a future that will never come.

I'm not "reading" as in having the actual pages in front of me, but rather listening to a lot of unabridged books these days. I don't have time to read, but I do have 8-10 hours a night at work that require no more brain capacity than simple repetitive motor function so I pass the time with books. I have made it through Adams Hitchhiker series each book in a night which was a fantastic re-read.
Additionally I recently went through The moon is a harsh mistress, Stranger in a strange land, The epic of Gilgamesh, Court of the red Tsar, and... shit, more lectures than I can count.

What's got me going right now is this:

Amazon product

which is a fantastic look at the couple of decades leading up to WW1.