What are you listening to II: Electric Bogaloo

I've read a decent amount of DFW and generally like his work (excepting the more abstruse literary theses which are definitely not for laypeople). That said, if you're unfamiliar with David Foster Wallace, this is probably gonna be a case where you need to separate the art from the artist. Shit came out after his suicide.

Last edited:
I've never heard it, nor have I heard of David Wallace, and looking at what he's written never read anything by him either. And after listening to this, ehh... not sure I agree with many of his points, sounds kinda like any other commencement speech to me, but I'm happy you've found meaning in it.
Glad you gave it a listen. I do wish you got as much meaning out of it as I did/do. I, like, Wallace go through life with the default setting of a selfish, defensive (somewhat narcissistic) ass. I do occasionally need a wake up call that this isn't all about me. Having kids helped that to a degree. I do that with them as well. I am trying not to be that way. I like the reminder.

On the negative side, he does come across as a bit of an elitist. Like those who are highly educated are better and are the ones who can "think for themselves".

I've read a decent amount of DFW and generally like his work (excepting the more abstruse literary theses which are definitely not for laypeople). That said, if you're unfamiliar with David Foster Wallace, this is probably gonna be a case where you need to separate the art from the artist. Shit came out after his suicide.
Oh, I know very little about him. I am not sure I want to look it up. I knew that he wrote and taught and the suicide, but nothing else. Uff. I guess I will look him up a bit later. Thanks for the heads up.

Been listening to a LOT of indie folk artists recently.

Ivan & Alyosha
Running for Cover, The Worth of the Wait, Can't Fight the Feeling

Ocie Elliot
Down by the Water, Thinking About You, Like a River

Watchhouse (formerly known as Mandolin Orange)
Daylight, Wildfire, Old Ties and Companions

The Paper Kites
Bloom, Willow Tree March, Paint

I'm having a hard time writing this because I just wind up listening to all of the songs, so I'll cut it off there.
I like the Paper Kites. I will give the others a listen!

On the negative side, he does come across as a bit of an elitist. Like those who are highly educated are better and are the ones who can "think for themselves".
I enjoyed it, and I don't think he meant that highly educated people are better. I think he's just pushing these people to use what they've learned to build empathy, and not fall in to the trap of having a degree makes you and your time more important.
I could be wrong, I've never read any of the guys stuff or know anything about him. I liked the message though.

I enjoyed it, and I don't think he meant that highly educated people are better. I think he's just pushing these people to use what they've learned to build empathy, and not fall in to the trap of having a degree makes you and your time more important.
I could be wrong, I've never read any of the guys stuff or know anything about him. I liked the message though.
Yeah, i don't think that he intended that message. Probably me projecting that.

Oh, I know very little about him. I am not sure I want to look it up. I knew that he wrote and taught and the suicide, but nothing else. Uff. I guess I will look him up a bit later. Thanks for the heads up.

I felt a little conflicted bringing it up, since you just mentioned how moving you found it. But were our roles reversed, I think I would prefer to know.

I felt a little conflicted bringing it up, since you just mentioned how moving you found it. But were our roles reversed, I think I would prefer to know.
I appreciate it. I did look him up. Sad to hear. I still stand by the message being good, but I will ease up on the proselytism.

Man, these guys are way too smart/aware to consistently be this successful... and I will be here every time for it.

If they somehow end up teaming up with OK Go, that would be the end of reality.

--Patridck