Warhammer 40k: Esc and Dream Goddess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than eat up on Krisken's topic, I've started one for myself and Dream Goddess for the Warhammer 40,000 miniatures we're modeling and painting. Currently I'm working on an unfortunately large number of Orks, while she's taking her time constructing a Daemons army. She'll be posting her own stuff shortly, but I'll show how far I've come with the Orks so far.

First is a Chainsword-weiling Ork Boy seen in Krisken's topic. My goal is to make something of a steampunk-looking army, though my results may vary outside of color schemes.

And a close-up of his chainsword.

Next is the first Rokkit boy. I'll need to do some test games before I decide to include him in regular Boyz units or make some Tankbusta squad.

And the squad's Nob with Power Klaw...

These three were the first constructed of the 40+ Ork Boyz I have...
Before:

After:

And the first of my Nobz units:

Of course I have a long...

long...

LONG way to go...

And Julie should be posted her pics shortly.

This is my first miniature in over 10 years. Be kind. (Or I'll send my Slaanesh demonette army after yo sorry azz. Mmm hmm.) I have named her "Utena". Props to the first person who gets the reference.

Okay, lots of guys done since my last post. I won't show many shots of each one--some Boyz finished, as well as my Tankbusta squad, done over the last few days.

Boyz:

Tankbustas:

Group shot!

And single shots:

Here's my 750 point army I'll have for this weekend (I have more models; this is just what's sketched to work at the point level)

Nice. I could never play Orks. I just don't have the patience to paint enough Ork Boys and such to make an Ork army! Way too many figures!

I dig the steampunkish color scheme you've worked up for them, too. I must say that I haven't seen anyone using anything like that, outside of IG Vostroyan regiments. It works... surprisingly well with orks.

Also in agreement with Shego: nice use of a daemonette. But where's her sword... and does she have a purple-haired, dark-skinned friend with glasses?

Thanks guys; I think the Orks make sense for a steampunk look since they're so ramshackle anyway.
Scud: I'm actually using many less Ork Boyz than others in my local Games Workshop say I should--that 750 point list only has 12 of them. I have 38, I just haven't pushed myself to making and painting or using them all. I think I may be an atypical Ork player. I can tell you're not one who'd want to do tons of things with the same colors, from your "Space Marines all look the same comment" :p and that you spend so much time and effort on each of your awesomely-painted models.

Dream thanks for comments on the Daemonette; she's working slowly on getting her other ladies together.

Oh no, the Space Marine thing is because I see so many different Space Marine armies that a few different colors doesn't make them different. I try to avoid the 3+ armor save armies which flood the game. My friends have- Space Marines, Grey Knights, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Eldar, Necron, and Tyranid. That right there is a lot of 3+ armies. Variety is a spice of life!

Something which might help with your coloring (especially in your early painting career) are inks. They seep into the cracks and help to highlight the upper areas while darkening the creases. The Orks would benefit from a green ink to add some dimension to the flesh.

Good luck and have fun painting! Always great to see more people in the hobby!

I did try that previously and didn't care for the results, but it's possible I didn't know what I was doing back then (I used to do Orcs in Warhammer Fantasy. You'd think I'd be tired of painting greenskins by now.)

I also think this steampunk color scheme fits the orks, and the idea that some of they are instinctively "programmed" to know how to build stuff*, very well.

*At least that's what I remember reading, but, as with most my Warhammer lore, I may be completely wrong.

I also think this steampunk color scheme fits the orks, and the idea that some of they are instinctively "programmed" to know how to build stuff*, very well.

*At least that's what I remember reading, but, as with most my Warhammer lore, I may be completely wrong.
You're correct. The Old Ones (or Brainboyz if you're listening to the Orks tell it) genetically engineered them to have basic building and tools put into their DNA. They can just start nailing stuff together and come out with a deadly gun.

Haven't had much time to paint recently; in fact, these three were mostly done last weekend and I put the finishing touches on yesterday.

All three are for my unit of Nobz.

Bosspole Nob (I figure a chainsaw shotgun would be better motivation for the group than a stick):

Next is my Nob with a Kombi-Skorcha:

And finally, the Dok is in! Painboy here:

Props to Julie for suggesting the added blood--being a surgeon (if you can call that of an Ork) he should look pretty messy.

I still have a Waaagh banner Nob (yay) and a normal Nob (boring) to do for the unit I'm using at 1000 points, plus a couple Big Choppa nobz who aren't being used right now, but have been built.

Here's some unpainted conversion. I found a good deal on Nobz from Assault on Black Reach, but I'd never need 30 Nobz, so I used some bodies for others stuff. Four of the above Tankbustas are Nob bodies, and so are these eight Lootas:

And this one has the guns wired into his brain:

I also had an extra Warboss body from Black Reach, and decided to use some parts to make a Big Mek with Kustom Force Field and Shokk Attack Gun. Here's the Warboss for comparison:

And here's the Big Mek:

I'm hoping to paint him soon; it'll be my first independent character since my Orc Boss on Boar back in my Fantasy days (which was painted terribly). I'll have to take my time.

Another unpainted figure; this is the Daemon Princess (Daemon Prince via codex) for Julie's Daemons army. I used a Daemonette, cut the legs so she'd lay on a bed of skulls (green stuff + Vampire Counts Skeletons skulls), a banner from the Slaanesh Seekers kit, Imperial Guard Cadian bodies with green stuff entrails, added horns to the Daemonette head, and then Blood Angels Sanguinary wings for her wings.

Though nowhere near as impressive as the dozens of finished models Krisken's carting, and I haven't done much painting due to busy schedules these past couple weeks, I have finished these lobbas:

About nine grots and a Runtherd man these, but they're not painted, so they're not in the pics.

The Big Mek is coming along well. My next planned unit to be painted alongside him are the remaining two of my six-Nob squad.

Unpainted figures time, for my possibly not happening Dark Eldar.

First up, Clawed Fiends to be used with Beastmasters. No actual model exists, so I used Skaven Rat Ogre bodies from Warhammer Fantasy with heads and crab claws of Carnifexes.

And regardless of armies used or not, the Raider is an awesome model and I'd keep this regardless:

Status
Not open for further replies.