Want to make a giant "Magic" card as a gift... help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajungal

Staff member
So, Jake's and my paper anniversary (1 year) is coming up. At first I thought "screw tradition, I'll just do something else," but then I had a fun idea.

Jake and I like playing Magic together, and I thought it would be fun to make a big Magic the Gathering card and put his picture with a little stat rundown on the front. I was going to go to Kinkos to see about blowing up the design on some card stock for starters, but then I thought there might be a better way to go about it.

I'm really pretty bad at creative stuff like this. Does anyone have advice? Our anniversary's not til July 7, so I have some time.

Check ebay, there were some promotional cards of larger size sent to dealers 12 or so years ago.[DOUBLEPOST=1371866230][/DOUBLEPOST]Found several listings by doing a "oversize mtg card" search.

Cajungal

Staff member
I'll do that! Thank you. :) I am very excited about this gift. I feel like I've been stagnating with gift giving... practical, but not especially meaningful. This is gonna be fun.

Cajungal

Staff member
That is actually a super unique and thoughtful gift.
Thanks. ^_^ I'll post a picture when I finish it.

I found the oversized cards... but how would I attach his picture to it without making it look like a cheap cut-and-paste job? That's my big concern. I want it to look authentic.

Probably a picture printed on regular paper, rather than photo stock. Maybe try to thin the edge a little to make it blend better, but honestly, I don't think it will matter to him since it's from you.

Well, put up the card you want shopped, the picture of your hubby you want used on it, and any info you want on the card with it. I'm sure one of us could help you with that.

Cajungal

Staff member
Okay, so I tried something. I found a card generator online. I figured I could print this out, then print out the other side, and laminate them together. I guess it's not so important that it's big... Anyway, I don't play as much as I used to, but I tried to use the language right. What do you guys thing? If you're wondering about the colors, he's usually green or white, and I'm blue.

[/URL][/IMG]

<purist>
An enchantment wouldn't have a power/toughness (and most enchantments aren't tappable).

I think the text could be a little more WotC-like: "Enchant Married Couple" as the card type instead of "Legendary Enchantment" and a card text of: "During your end phase, you may tap Married Couple. If you choose to do so, add one counter for each year of marriage survived. Each counter adds +1/+0 to Fun Times and Road Trip Funds, and +0/+1 to Sarcasm Armor."

Could even have a flavor text of "Just you wait -- next year's gonna be even better!"
</purist>

--Patrick

Cajungal

Staff member
D'oh I knew that about enchantments... I just filled it in because it was there. Will fine-tune tomorrow!

I'm waiting for the next card : -1 Road Trip Funds, -1 Sleep, +1 Fun Times, +7 Worry. I think stienman's hoarding them all...

Cajungal

Staff member
redthirtyone I love this! I might play with your design a bit and see if I can fit some flavor text in... like an inside joke or something.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Little more fine tuning plus I wanted to see if you could still fit in flavor text. The text gets kinda small but if the card will be super-sized that will be OK. I just chose one of the flavor quotes from one of your test cards CJ (YMMV of course)

Year One 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.