Walt Disney Pictures and Marvel Studios open casting call for 'Runaways'

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are going to take all the bite out of this series and make it far too tame, me thinks. Then again, it might convince them to restart the series again, as it's been months since we've gotten an issue. A bad movie might be a necessary evil to get the series going again.

Yeah, but it'd be a series without - I assume - Brian K. Vaughan. In my eyes, there hasn't been another Runaways issue since his last issue.

Still, Runaways is a damn good book that'll make for a fun movie, I think. It'll be interesting, though, since the cast is constantly changing due to killing 'em off.

Yeah, but it'd be a series without - I assume - Brian K. Vaughan. In my eyes, there hasn't been another Runaways issue since his last issue.

Still, Runaways is a damn good book that'll make for a fun movie, I think. It'll be interesting, though, since the cast is constantly changing due to killing 'em off.
Only two of the kids die (not including Old Lace) and only one in the first story arc, and the adults seem to refuse to die, what with them popping up all the time.

They are going to take all the bite out of this series and make it far too tame, me thinks.
I suppose that's possible, but I don't see anything in this announcement that suggest that. Particularly since Brian K. Vaughn is at least involved in the scripting. But I'm not really sure I see the 'tameness' concern, it's not like the book was "Rated R" and the movies would have to be toned down to a "PG".

Then again, it might convince them to restart the series again, as it's been months since we've gotten an issue. A bad movie might be a necessary evil to get the series going again.
They have had a creative team in place for a while now, writer Kathryn Immonen and artist Sarah Picelli. I haven't been able to find out what the hold up is in restarting the series, although Immonen and Picelli have done a a few limited series in the meantime. The most recent being Pixie Strikes Back, which I enjoyed. Hopefully they are letting Immonen/Picelli 'clear their slates' so to speak so they can devote themselves fully to a new Runaways. Because that's really what Runaways needs now is a consistent creative team.

I think my biggest concern is because this is going to be the first Marvel movie made since it was purchased by Disney a few months back. Sure, there are OTHER Marvel movies that were in production since the buyout but this would be the first movie STARTED since the buy-out. It kinda has me worried about the franchise as film, especially since Disney is handling the film.

It might work in the Runaways favour, truth be told. Take out some of the dark elemnts, the death toll, etc, and it might make for a good series. I'm not saying the dark elements made the series better or worse, believe me. But they'd kill off characters just as I was starting to like them. I think Vaughan had longer plans for the series before it got cancelled the first time.

I think my biggest concern is because this is going to be the first Marvel movie made since it was purchased by Disney a few months back. Sure, there are OTHER Marvel movies that were in production since the buyout but this would be the first movie STARTED since the buy-out. It kinda has me worried about the franchise as film, especially since Disney is handling the film.
Until I see Miley Cyrus cast as Karolina, I'm going to assume Marvel is still Marvel. As far as I can see that has been the case so far.

As I said, Runaways was always a series aimed at Teens, it was never an "adult" series. Hence it's always effectively been at worst a "PG-13", so it's not like "Kick-ass" which would have had to have been gutted to come down to a PG-13 rating.

Last time I checked, they didn't bring up the concept of child brides and their "obligations" in a PG-13 film. It also has me kinda concerned about how they will handle Karolina and Xavin's relationship if they do another film (I doubt Xavin's showing up in the first one). Disney isn't exactly big on alternative lifestyles.

Heh, I'm suddenly picturing a classic animation Disney movie, but the two main characters are gay. That'll NEVER happen, sadly, but it'd be awesome.

But yeah, IF we see a Runaways movie, it'll be closer to the first volume. Which is fine by me, since I wasn't as big a fan of the series after that.

You guys must be talking about a different company than the Disney I know... Look at all the musicals that they have done. They made Nathan Lane a star...

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Mickey Mouse is the gayest cartoon character, EVER!

Last time I checked, they didn't bring up the concept of child brides and their "obligations" in a PG-13 film.
Uh, they bring up stuff like that and worse on an average episode of Law & Order, not to mention Special Victims Unit.

It also has me kinda concerned about how they will handle Karolina and Xavin's relationship if they do another film (I doubt Xavin's showing up in the first one). Disney isn't exactly big on alternative lifestyles.
On what basis do you say that Disney "isn't big on alternative lifestyles"? This is the same Disney that plays host to annual "Gay Days" at their theme parks? To be fair, they don't actively promote it themselves at least as I understand it. But they also don't do anything to stop or discourage it either (again as I understand it). We're not talking about them making a Saturday morning cartoon here, we're talking about a movie and Disney has made all types of movies over the years (particularly through their Touchstone and Buena Vista studios).

For that matter I suspect that the whole Xavin thing would probably have to be revised anyway, since I believe the Skrulls may fall under the Fantastic Four license when it comes to film anyway. Which would mean that Fox would own the film-rights for Skrulls since they own the FF film license. But that of course is a pure guess since a)I'm not a lawyer and b)I have never read the FF film license agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.