Video Game News and Miscellany

Cancelled????
Yep. All development has ceased and almost the entire team was pink slipped. The Onyx Path guys (the ones doing the WoD books) are still around and some of the head guys are being turned into consultants, but this IS the deathblow of the CCP WoDMMO.

I'm surprised it lasted this long.
They were taking their sweet time because they wanted it to be done right. However, I knew what was coming once they did the restructuring at the start of the year.

Honestly, I'm more surprised they canned it after spending 8 years and countless millions on it.

Shovel Knight has added a bunch of dumb shit for Nintendo consoles, now hoping to release before June.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. That's frustrating.

Shovel Knight has added a bunch of dumb shit for Nintendo consoles, now hoping to release before June.

My worst nightmare. Any kickstarter that gets bonus milestones and add redundant, useless shit like console compatibility and you have to wait months with your finger up your ass while they do the legwork on things a solid 80% of the people backing their shit don't give a fuck about.

MAKE GAME, MAKE IT GOOD. RELEASE TO MASTER RACE.

Later on, do the other shit. Release to the filthy casuals.

The end.

Adding more levels is fine.

But, and I say this as someone who will be getting the 3DS version, I didn't ask for this other shit. The super-layered 3D and touch screen stuff is NOT NECESSARY. 3D doesn't need to look like the Ecco the Dolphin re-release, and the touch screen isn't something players want to fiddle with during a sidescrolling 2D platformer. That's why Nintendo doesn't use it in Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, or just has one giant button for the 3DS Mario games. Managing your inventory down there is great for Zelda games, but I have Cave Story and I hated switching guns down there. It was much more convenient to use the shoulder buttons.

Adding more levels is fine.

But, and I say this as someone who will be getting the 3DS version, I didn't ask for this other shit. The super-layered 3D and touch screen stuff is NOT NECESSARY. 3D doesn't need to look like the Ecco the Dolphin re-release, and the touch screen isn't something players want to fiddle with during a sidescrolling 2D platformer. That's why Nintendo doesn't use it in Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, or just has one giant button for the 3DS Mario games. Managing your inventory down there is great for Zelda games, but I have Cave Story and I hated switching guns down there. It was much more convenient to use the shoulder buttons.
Yeah, having it on that screen doesn't make it any more convenient than a pause screen, you're still forced to break the pace/action to change things. Mapping to the shoulders should always be the base model for item swap, it's easily the most practical.

So for reasons neither he nor Bungie are sharing, Bungie's board of directors fired Marty O'Donnell, the composer for pretty much every successful game they've had.

So for reasons neither he nor Bungie are sharing, Bungie's board of directors fired Marty O'Donnell, the composer for pretty much every successful game they've had.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/16/halo-destiny-music-composer-martin-odonnell-fired-by-bungie/

Why the heck would they do this? I played Halo 1 and ended up buying most of the Halo soundtracks because they were so awesome even though I didn't get the games (as I ended up getting rid of the XBox and most likely won't get the 360 or XB1).

Because other people are cheaper.
Generally speaking, the composer is one of the few people who don't get the ax easily, especially award winning ones. Virtually every music composer at Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, and others have been there DECADES.

If he was fired, it was because of something that happened.

According to Reddit and someone claiming to be a Bungie employee, there was tension between members of the board and Marty over money.

Generally speaking, the composer is one of the few people who don't get the ax easily, especially award winning ones. Virtually every music composer at Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, and others have been there DECADES.

If he was fired, it was because of something that happened.
Yeah, he wanted them to pay them and they said no. Thats a thing that happens.

Possibly, but considering how shitty SE has been doing lately, Sony may just be dumping them because they know the stock is going to dive.

To be perfectly honest, aside from a handful of titles, most of SE's profit is coming from the ex-Eidos division. Tomb Raider sold a shit ton... Hitman did reasonably well (but lower than predicted)... Deus Ex: Human Revolution has sold really well if you combine all of the versions. Compare this to 13, 13-2, and 13-3... and subtract all the money they've wasted on their mobile games.

Plus constantly developing new game engines. XIII's was apparently stupid expensive and they milked the franchise hoping to get some of the money back. They built a new one for XV, too, so we'll see how that works out for them I guess.

Plus constantly developing new game engines. XIII's was apparently stupid expensive and they milked the franchise hoping to get some of the money back. They built a new one for XV, too, so we'll see how that works out for them I guess.
To be fair, XV is going to be an actiony game with RPG elements like Kingdom Hearts from what we've seen of it. They might be using the same engine for it and Kingdom Hearts 3.