[Movies] Veronica Mars

I picked up the first two seasons awhile back (there was a good 2-for-cheap deal) and enjoyed them. Season 1 was phenomenal, but I thought Season 2's mystery wasn't even remotely as strong. The big reveal in the last episode, while it made sense, felt like it was hastily put together in the last four or five episodes.

I've yet to check out Season 3, but I heard it's the weakest of the three. Should I?

I borrowed season 1 from a friend after watching the first two episodes. I see why it gets the praise that it does, and I really need to check out the rest soon.

I'm a season 2 apologist, I think it's still very good. And I liked the beginning and end of Season 3, with the middle being a mediocre blur.
Yeah, I think Season 2 is good, it's just not quite as good as season 1. Season 3 is just uneven I think, making it not as good a watch overall, but I'm with you, the beginning and end are solid.

Why should I care about this? Am I the only person who has no idea what it's about, but was completely mislead by the name in hoping for something awesome? Educate me.

A good TV show with a cult following that got abruptly cancelled too early and hit TV just a few years too early (Come on, if this show happened a few years later, it would get 10 seasons on USA) - got revived via Kickstarter, and mostly got everyone back together to make a movie continuing the story.

A good TV show with a cult following that got abruptly cancelled too early and hit TV just a few years too early (Come on, if this show happened a few years later, it would get 10 seasons on USA) - got revived via Kickstarter, and mostly got everyone back together to make a movie continuing the story.
I maintain it was on the wrong network. It would have stood a better chance on WB instead of UPN.

If the old PA podcasts are to be believed, Veronica Mars was cancelled to make room for Pussycat Dools: Search for the Next Doll.

This poses a really good question. It's been thrown around lately that we're in somewhat of a golden age of television, with the sheer quality of some of the television that's being produced. What I wonder is if it's just now that great shows are being allowed to flourish, rather than being cancelled instantly by network executives that don't "get" the shows, or if the shows themselves are of any better quality. I'd say right now, we have more quality original programming coming out on TV (and now netflix) than I'd say we have had in quite a while. Does it just happen to be that good shows are being made now, or that they're being allowed to thrive? Or are audiences just so sick of bad TV that they are flocking to better shows?

The Emmys are starting to only recognize cable dramas for ANYTHING, and that prestige can close the gap between ratings. Good stuff is still getting cancelled (RIP Terriers, Rubicon, Bunheads, Enlightened), but there's more of a chance. And now, cable networks will even save something off the scrapheap (Southland, Cougar Town).

This poses a really good question. It's been thrown around lately that we're in somewhat of a golden age of television, with the sheer quality of some of the television that's being produced. What I wonder is if it's just now that great shows are being allowed to flourish, rather than being cancelled instantly by network executives that don't "get" the shows, or if the shows themselves are of any better quality. I'd say right now, we have more quality original programming coming out on TV (and now netflix) than I'd say we have had in quite a while. Does it just happen to be that good shows are being made now, or that they're being allowed to thrive? Or are audiences just so sick of bad TV that they are flocking to better shows?

I think it might be a combination of a few things. I'm willing to be corrected, of course:

-The lack of ingenuity coming from the big wigs, like NBC, CBS, etc. They've had the odd one that was well received like Heroes or Lost, but many of them were the same thing all the time. How many flipping CSI shows were there? And I wasn't crazy about House because it was ridiculously formulaic (despite great performance by the guy that played House). The other networks like AMC and HBO are willing to take a few more risks, like Dexter. That's the kind of show I wouldn't have even thought possible ten years ago.

-The advent of DVD and especially Netflix has boosted interest in TV shows. Before, it was incredibly hard to catch up on shows or check out new ones without catching them on TV or not-so-legally getting them. Now, there more avenues to watch all of a series (legally and illegally). DVD and Netflix also boosts sales for shows, too. I imagine some struggling shows make a good chunk of money back on their DVD sales. Hell, even though Firefly was cancelled, it got a frigging movie because of its DVD sales.

-The popularity of nerd culture has boosted the potential for very different kinds of shows, like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. Even Heroes, Battlestar, or Lost might not've been considered only a few years before. Sci-fi and fantasy was always a niche market, but now it's hitting a much larger general audience.

-Big name actors are starting to catch on to TV's popularity, which I think started with Kiefer Sutherland coming on board for 24.

I would reckon it's partly because of awareness. In the really old days, you had word of mouth (maybe radio/newspaper) to determine popularity. Eventually we had Nielsen ratings and box office to tell us what people were watching. Now we have so many ways to count eyes - website views/hits/number of streamers, DVD sales, amount of tweets or social media mentions. Now stuff that may have been ignored by the general public has a chance to gain attention.

So much love for that trailer! I love seeing that they brought everyone back, even Leo (who I have to keep reminding myself isn't Schmidt at that moment). I was hesitant at first about rebooting/revisiting VM, but count me on board!

I liked it. Not perfect, but a good addition to what we already have. Lots of fun nods to the show (and even the Kickstarter revival), and the ones that feel like forced in jokes are pretty early on.

James Franco :rofl: