Vacation Advice: New York City

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jaythen

I know I am a lurker and post rarely, but I seek the advice of wise travelers if not those who might live within the New York City area.

For my birthday next month, I am planning a trip to visit NYC for two/three days depending on of much I can save up over the Holiday.
Not worried about getting to NYC. I live in New Hampshire so I have a options to get there within a reasonable amount of time. I am looking on taking a bus to get there so I don't have to worry about gas/parking/traversing an unfamiliar city.

What I would like to know is:

where is a decently affordable place to stay that is within good travel distance of most of the tourist popular areas to go?
Looking to go to Empire State building, WTC memorial, Time Square, Rockerfeller center, and the like.
What other out of the way sites should I go see that most people overlook or forget to go see?

How much walking can I do to get around?
How much should one plan for taxi fare to get around faster/longer distances?

depending on arrival time and other factors, I know I would not mind making a fool of myself to get in the crowd that hangs outside around the Today show/GMA. Might get tickets if I can to Letterman or Regis and Kelly (not that I want to go to R&K, but just to make my mom jealous that I was there).

Good places to eat?

Places to avoid at all cost?

Thanks in advance.

-jaythen

C

Chazwozel

I know I am a lurker and post rarely, but I seek the advice of wise travelers if not those who might live within the New York City area.

For my birthday next month, I am planning a trip to visit NYC for two/three days depending on of much I can save up over the Holiday.
Not worried about getting to NYC. I live in New Hampshire so I have a options to get there within a reasonable amount of time. I am looking on taking a bus to get there so I don't have to worry about gas/parking/traversing an unfamiliar city.

where is a decently affordable place to stay that is within good travel distance of most of the tourist popular areas to go?
Looking to go to Empire State building, WTC memorial, Time Square, Rockerfeller center, and the like.
What other out of the way sites should I go see that most people overlook or forget to go see?

depending on arrival time and other factors, I know I would not mind making a fool of myself to get in the crowd that hangs outside around the Today show/GMA. Might get tickets if I can to Letterman or Regis and Kelly (not that I want to go to R&K, but just to make my mom jealous that I was there).

Good places to eat?

Places to avoid at all cost?

Thanks in advance.

-jaythen

Oh man. That's a loaded question. There is tons to do in Manhattan. Stick to the southern end though, which it looks like you are. I say screw the taxi's and get a daily subway pass each day. The trains run every 15 minutes and will take you anywhere you need to go.

I recommend going to China Town for lunch, most of the restaurants are good there. Little Italy (south of Greenwich) will have the better Italian joints. Greenwich, actually, has an awesome mix of various types of foods.

If you plan on going to Central Park, try to catch a concert there and make sure you dedicate a good part of your schedule to the park (it's huge).

J

jaythen

Daily Subway pass. Got it.

Looking at the Pod Hotel to stay at. Decent loacation. Price will work better for my budget that I will have.

since I am going in January, I doubt there will be concerts in Central Park, unless I am mistaken.

Any other suggestions or advice?

C

Chazwozel

Daily Subway pass. Got it.

Looking at the Pod Hotel to stay at. Decent loacation. Price will work better for my budget that I will have.

since I am going in January, I doubt there will be concerts in Central Park, unless I am mistaken.

Any other suggestions or advice?
You can check online. You can always go to the Central Park zoo too. Broadway is always fun to walk through; you could possibly catch a show, since you'll be in the Times Square Area. I recommend getting a hot dog from one of the street vendors. I don't care what people say, they're delicious.

I think the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are open again. Oh, near the southern end of Central park is FAO Shwartz, huge toy store. Really fun to walk through.

NYC has a shit ton of museums if that's your thing. Personally, love the American Museum of Natural History and the Planetarium. Lots of less conventional ones as well. Heard the Museum of Sex is awesome, though never been myself.

For something a little more off-key, you could try exploring St. Mark's Place. I dunno how interesting it is in the Winter, though.

If you're into comics, Forbidden Planet by Union Square is an institution, and it's right next to the Strand bookstore, which is even more of one.

Check out TKTS/TDF for cheap tickets for shows around Manhattan, both on-and-off Broadway.

If you like Vietnamese, I highly recommend Nha Trang Centre. Doyer's Vietnamese has slightly better food, but the dining experience is a bit off, and it's easy to get lost looking for it.

If you're around on a Sunday, and if you can get in on a timely fashion (go early in the morning, before 10), the Golden Unicorn has rockin' Dim Sum that's also pretty affordable.

100% agree with Chaz about avoiding cabs. They're not bad, in general, but a daily subway pass is your friend.

K

kaykordeath

As a local, even I still enjoy the ESB but try to go after dark. They're open until midnight, but there's nothing as impressive as the view of the city all lit up after dark. Just dress warm.

There is no real WTC memorial per se, but you can walk around the site.

If/when you do WTC, I'd suggest walking down to Battery Park, exploring there, and taking the Staten Island Ferry. It's free, and gives you a nice ride with a good view of Lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. As the statue itself is still only open to walk to the top in very limited tickets, I'd suggest NOT taking the Statue of Liberty Ferry and spending time on Liberty Island.

If you're good with directions/can read a map/have some semblance of an idea of where you're going, you can potentially walk almost everywhere you want to go.

Yes, get a daily Metrocard! cabs will run at LEAST 5 to 10 bucks based on where you want to go.

Letterman tickets can occasionally be gotten on standby. Check their website, i think they have details.

There's an off-chance you may be able to pick up Daily Show/Colbert tickets via their websites, too. It's unlikely, but sometimes they free up more tickets as the date gets closer.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Chaz, do you live in NY?

Not anymore, I grew up in Queens.[/QUOTE]

Phew, close call, then.

My best friend, the Ukrainian I've mentioned before, visited New York City last week. I've been trying to enlist him here at Halforums, and offered to find out if there's any forumites about in NY.

Let's just say that him and Chaz meeting would be the equivalent of a thermonuclear explosion on the San Andreas Fault...

Oh, one thing, unlikely to happen, but forewarned and all that.

If you're walking around looking at touristy things, try and walk along the side of the sidewalk, away from the center, and take pictures with your back to a wall.

That thing with the crazy CD-pusher aside, most of the crime in NYC tourist areas is from pickpockets, and they love tourists who take a moment to take a picture of the buildings.

Also, placing yourself like that will keep you out of the center of sidewalk flow and less chance that people will bump into you while you stop to take a longer look.

ESB usually has a pretty big ass line. Go to Rockefeller and get just as good of a view, and usually a smaller line.

If you don't mind walking, I'd stay out of a cab, and just use the subway. Get a street map and a station map. I'd take the subway down to Battery Park and take the Staten Island ferry to Staten Island. You'll get a great view of the Statue of Liberty. Take it back to Manhattan, and you'll get a great view of Manhattan. It's about a 40 min round trip and it's free, I think.

From there, I'd go a few blocks to the Merrill-Lynch Bull statue, go to Wall Street and see the NYSE, and the Federal Building. You can turn around and go about a block to see the WTC. Just keep working your way up to Grand Central Station. See Times Sq. and Rockefeller/Trinity Church. I'd also recommend taking the train to Brooklyn and walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge. It's a great bridge and a great view of the city.

I'm not a local, so I can't recommend where to eat. Ask folks. Ask locals where they eat. Find bakeries and delis. There is absolutely every kind of food you could possibly want.

You can do all that up there in about a day. You'll be exhausted but it's possible. I'd spend the next day exploring Central Park and the surrounding area.

J

jaythen

Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions!

I definitely looking into going to the Museum of Modern Art. Tim Burton art showcase currently going on there till April.

Forgot about Colbert/Daily Show. Will look into that.

FAO Schwartz, Forbidden Planet, and Strand are addons I will be pursuing to visit as well.

So much food. So little time. o_0

I will post photos once I get back.

K

Kitty Sinatra

pickpockets
Don't carry your wallet in your back pocket. That's really the easiest way to avoid getting your pocket picked. And sitting is more comfortable.

I've really never understood why so many people carry their wallets back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.