[URGENT] WH40K Fans, Help a Guy with His Thesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I know this is damn silly, but I've come to the realization that there's just about every kind of people present here. I'm hoping that there's even one or two Warhammer 40K fans here, therefore this request.

I'm currently writing my literature thesis (Master level), and there was a tidbit of information that also touched the WH40k universe. While I have the tidbit down, I'd also like to add a proper bibliography for it (instead of just relying on Lexicanum). I had it down but I seemed to have misplaced that notebook :( If anyone happens to have the Codex: Space Marines or Codex: Dark Angels, I would be really grateful for the page number on which the Dark Angels' homeworld, Caliban, is mentioned. I need the information ASAP, by Thursday the 27th.

Thanks in advance. And let the mocking begin.

North_Ranger

Staff member
It's about the use of Caliban characters (from Shakespeare's Tempest) as postcolonial figures in Indigo, a novel by Marina Warner.

Basically I'm seeing how she uses her Caliban-like characters to address issues in the postcolonial context (eg. slavery, racism, hybridity) in the novel - and see how these depictions fit in comparison to other postcolonial authors. I just thought of it as a fun tidbit of information to add in the introduction, showing one of the ways how Caliban is used in popular culture.

Did I make any sense at all?

That's really interesting. Somehow I'd never made the connection between the 40k planet of Caliban and Caliban in the Tempest, but that works quite well.

L

Lally

North_Ranger said:
It's about the use of Caliban characters (from Shakespeare's Tempest) as postcolonial figures in Indigo, a novel by Marina Warner.

Basically I'm seeing how she uses her Caliban-like characters to address issues in the postcolonial context (eg. slavery, racism, hybridity) in the novel - and see how these depictions fit in comparison to other postcolonial authors. I just thought of it as a fun tidbit of information to add in the introduction, showing one of the ways how Caliban is used in popular culture.

Yes! And that sounds awesome! I wish I was a 40K fan so I could help you, but alas, I am just an enthused lit nerd.

H

Heavan

Aw, my one chance to be useful and someone else beat me to it... :tear:

North_Ranger

Staff member
Heavan said:
Aw, my one chance to be useful and someone else beat me to it... :tear:
Well, you could also tell me the name of the publishing house and the place where the book was published. :heythere: They have to be added in the bibliography.

Also, thank you, Dubyamn :) I assume that was from Codex: Dark Angels, yes? Which edition, BTW? 3rd?

H

Heavan

Page 8 of the Codex: Space Marines shows all the Chapter homeworld's, including Caliban

Looks like it was published by Games Workshop, March 2005, in China. It... really doesn't tell me anything else about itself. It's also 4th edition.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Look closer, there's supposed to be a mention at the technical information page, listing the publishing house and the place of publication. NOT the printer. Like "Published by This and That", followed by the address of the publishing house.

H

Heavan

No, it doesn't. Only page 1 has any kind of publishing information and it just says 'Produced by Games Workshop' followed by a very long list of copyrights. At the bottom it lists the addresses of its headquarters in specific countries, and 'Printed in China March 2005'. That's it. I guess the addresses could be the publishing house ones but that means it was published in 5 countries.

Oh, hey, I just saw that is tells me who wrote it. 'By Pete Haines and Graham McNeill. Still no idea about the publishing house, that for sure isn't listed anywhere on this page.

fade

Staff member
Bah, you silly deconstructionists. You always leave the author scratching their heads, saying, "I meant what now?"

I keed, I keed.

-- Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:07 pm --

(I love the episode of Northern Exposure where Chris has to defend his thesis regarding an interpretation of Casey at the Bat as some symbol for something or other. The young committee member loved it, the older hated it. In the end, Chris sides with the older professor, agreeing that the poem was just about capturing the love of the game, the smell of the glove, the crack of the bat, and the sorrow of the strikeout and hero downfall. Absolutely gorgeous episode. NE at its finest.)

Mr. ZM has the most recent Space Marines codex if you need the most up-to-date reference. Let me know.

North_Ranger

Staff member
ZenMonkey said:
Mr. ZM has the most recent Space Marines codex if you need the most up-to-date reference. Let me know.
Well, I wouldn't mind it ;) If you can, find the passage about the Dark Angels that tells about Lion El'Jonson and his time on Caliban, specifically the mention of it being a Death World. I would require the following:
- Quotation of the passage, if not too long
- Page number
- The name(s) of the writer(s)
- The date of publication (year)
- The title of the book
- Name of the publishing house and its location.

Y'know, basically the stuff you need when you make a record of a source in an academic paper.

Thank you in advance :)

North_Ranger

Staff member
Tell him the Emperor is watching :D

-- Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:09 am --

Lally said:
North_Ranger said:

Yes! And that sounds awesome! I wish I was a 40K fan so I could help you, but alas, I am just an enthused lit nerd.
Heheh, thanks. If it happens that I can't get the thesis done by the deadline and have to attend the seminar again this autumn, I might ask you to proof-read it for me. That is, unless you have anything better to do than hip-wade through about a hundred pages of postcolonial jargon. :heythere:

L

Lally

North_Ranger said:
Tell him the Emperor is watching :D

-- Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:09 am --

Lally said:
[quote="North_Ranger":yqttafxd]It's about the use of Caliban characters (from Shakespeare's Tempest) as postcolonial figures in Indigo, a novel by Marina Warner.

Heheh, thanks. If it happens that I can't get the thesis done by the deadline and have to attend the seminar again this autumn, I might ask you to proof-read it for me. That is, unless you have anything better to do than hip-wade through about a hundred pages of postcolonial jargon. :heythere:[/quote:yqttafxd]

:clap: I love to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.