Trick Myself into Alternating Mindsets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my problem:

I need a simple way to alternate between mindsets. For example, I have a behavior at work that is different from how I am outside work. Dressing in stiff, uncomfortable work clothes helps enforce this.

But this needs to be more subtle since I need to be able to do it without changing clothes, hats, etc. Some kind of trigger that I can associate with one frame of mind or the other, and the more I purposely act a certain way with one or the other, the more it'll happen automatically.

So, some kind of trigger, but also discreet. Any ideas?

Cajungal

Staff member
Put a spritz of one scent on one wrist and a spritz of another scent on your other wrist. When you need to get into "character" take a whiff of the scent that represents the personality you need at the moment.

Smell and touch are probably going to be the best things to influence your subconscious, as they are avenues you will notice without significantly impacting your attention (probably). Sight and sound are going to work but will need to be constantly refreshed, and taste is kind of difficult to do unless you are OK with chewing gum or popping cough drops all day.

-Vary your cologne/aftershave or rotate air fresheners/aromatics (probably the most practical/effective).
-Shave/don't shave (for long-term projects).
-Strategically placed Band-aid (possibly with strategically placed irritant underneath).
-Change your desktop (less effective if you keep windows at full size).
-Adopt a "mascot" (small stuffed animal/toy you keep in view while you work).
-Change hairstyle/hat or glasses/contacts (hey, it worked for Superman).
-Boxers/briefs (the cradle of civilization).
-Jewelry (which finger ring, how many rings, huge stone, necklace/no necklace, big/small watch, bracelet) or rubber bands (snapping them is optional).
-Wool/cotton (socks/shirt/slacks...depending on how much you notice the difference between wool/cotton).
-Vary color of nail polish or length of nails (for women only.....usually).
-Reverse your belt (RH v. LH).

Could probably come up with more if my lunch had more time left on it.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.