Trailer for 'Alice in Wonderland'

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alucard

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMsG0VTQJaE:2j3k50at][/youtube:2j3k50at]

figmentPez

Staff member
Guess no one cares about the trailer thread. I posted this there. I also posted the Tron Legacy trailer, and a thread was started complaining that no one had posted anything about the movie.

figmentPez said:
Guess no one cares about the trailer thread. I posted this there. I also posted the Tron Legacy trailer, and a thread was started complaining that no one had posted anything about the movie.
So it was posted here? I remember having discussed it earlier, though I wasn't sure if it was on this or another board.

You know I don't think I have actually sat down and watched the original Alice in wonderland all the way through. Or at least if I have it's been so long I can't remember much about it.

I have yet to really love a screen adaptation of Alice in Wonderland.

Of course, seeing as it's my favorite book (well books) film versions have a lot to live up to for me.

Wahad said:
The Cheshire cat looks sweet.
We all do realise that this design of the cat dates back to 1865, yes? It's an exact replica of the original Tenniel design. Indeed most of the film seems to follow the Tenniel line to the millimeter.

But what about that OTHER Alice?
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCuzvriWi44:1gjcuoma][/youtube:1gjcuoma]
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u-EPYntx2I&feature=related:1gjcuoma][/youtube:1gjcuoma]
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RhezbLQxeQ&feature=related:1gjcuoma][/youtube:1gjcuoma]

Lamont said:
Wahad said:
We all do realise that this design of the cat dates back to 1865, yes? It's an exact replica of the original Tenniel design. Indeed most of the film seems to follow the Tenniel line to the millimeter.
I realise that, yes, and it's exactly why I liked the design.

Wahad said:
Lamont said:
Wahad said:
I realise that, yes, and it's exactly why I liked the design.
I'm sorry, I sounded really snarky just then. I apologise.

Lamont said:
Edrondol said:
God, Brooke Shields was hot. And I can say that because we are the same age.
She still is. She really is.
I agree, but when I (and she) was a teenager, she was perfect. Now she's not as perfect but still really hot.

ElJuski

Staff member
This looks pretty meh to me, actually. Sounds like another Tim Burton art project with Depp hogging the screen again.

G

Gill Kaiser

That's a good thing, though, because Depp is a legend.

Also, wasn't the Cheshire Cat renamed to the Unitary Authority of Warrington Cat due to boundry changes?

L

Le Quack

I thought the trailer was kind of crappy.

Still gonna see this one, though.

C

Chronos[Ha-G]

I like Alice in Wonderland - however, I'm not sure about Burton's take on it. Hmm - queue the waiting.

By biggest beef, right off the bat is adult Alice. That alone is enough to ruin it for me.

If he were doing something along the lines of American McGee's Alice, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but if he's retelling the original story, her being an adult removes a large portion of the point of the book.

Bowielee said:
By biggest beef, right off the bat is adult Alice. That alone is enough to ruin it for me.

If he were doing something along the lines of American McGee's Alice, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but if he's retelling the original story, her being an adult removes a large portion of the point of the book.
Actually, Burton's film will be more like a sequel story.

The idea here is that she is 19 now. She finds out that, at a party she and her parents are attending, she is to be proposed to. Freaking out, she flees and ends up stumbling down the rabbit hole. From there, she returns to Wonderland, lacking any memory of having been there and finding a rebellion emerging against the Queen of Hearts.

filmfanatic said:
Bowielee said:

The idea here is that she is 19 now. She finds out that, at a party she and her parents are attending, she is to be proposed to. Freaking out, she flees and ends up stumbling down the rabbit hole. From there, she returns to Wonderland, lacking any memory of having been there and finding a rebellion emerging against the Queen of Hearts.
I thought Burton was doing a mix of Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.

escushion said:
filmfanatic said:
Bowielee said:

Well, most adaptations of Alice in Wonderland tend to blend the two, as Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum (who frequently appear in these adaptations) are originally from Through the Looking-Glass. To me, it sounds like not only a blend of both, but that there may be shades of Looking-Glass Wars (a non-Lewis Carroll Wonderland book).

filmfanatic said:
escushion said:
filmfanatic said:
Bowielee said:

Well, most adaptations of Alice in Wonderland tend to blend the two, as Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum (who frequently appear in these adaptations) are originally from Through the Looking-Glass. To me, it sounds like not only a blend of both, but that there may be shades of Looking-Glass Wars (a non-Lewis Carroll Wonderland book).
I heard Looking Glass Wars was awful though.

Not that I really watch Tim Burton films for the story.

escushion said:
filmfanatic said:
escushion said:
filmfanatic said:

I heard Looking Glass Wars was awful though.

Not that I really watch Tim Burton films for the story.
As I said, shades. Not the full story, but shades. The most it looks like we'll get from it is some battle of power in Wonderland, with the battle being split between the Queen of Hearts, the White Queen and the Mad Hatter.

Edrondol said:
God, Brooke Shields was hot. And I can say that because we are the same age.
Damn straight! When the rabbit came up to her and said "I'm looking for a hole, I'm looking for a hole" I was like "that makes two of us.

Actuyally, it turns out that it's not the three-way split in power. Rather, it's the Queen of Hearts growing in her power and a rebellion group being led by the White Queen and Mad Hatter.

filmfanatic said:
Bowielee said:

God, that sounds ghastly. :puke:

G

Gill Kaiser

Does it? It sounds pretty much like American McGee's Alice, to me, but without the psychoses and commitment.

Gill Kaiser said:
Does it? It sounds pretty much like American McGee's Alice, to me, but without the psychoses and commitment.
That was ghastly as well, actually. Beyond the pale.

Status
Not open for further replies.