Time Travelers Wife

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rubicon

just saw a trailer for this on tv..anyone else seen previews of it?

It's like the writers took the story from DS9's "The Visitor" and Doctor Who's "A Girl in the Fireplace" and stretched it into a two hour movie..

Read the book but haven't seen the trailer yet. I don't know the episodes you are talking about but I doubt it is goiing to be like anything from Doctor Who or DS9. It is a love story first and foremost. The accidental time travel is a genetic mutation and that's all the science you get out of it (in the book). Got a link to the trailer?

R

Rubicon

MindDetective said:
Read the book but haven't seen the trailer yet. I don't know the episodes you are talking about but I doubt it is goiing to be like anything from Doctor Who or DS9. It is a love story first and foremost. The accidental time travel is a genetic mutation and that's all the science you get out of it (in the book). Got a link to the trailer?
http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/t ... elerswife/

The genetic mutation sounds more similar to that DS9 episode.

In that episode, Sisko gets zapped with some energy that unravels him from the timestream, and since his son was close to him at the time, he keeps bouncing in and out of his son's life at various points in time.

W

Wasabi Poptart

I loved the book. The trailer has made me teary-eyed and gave me a knot in my throat. I'm going to have to see it some how. Unfortunately, it is coming out around my due date so I probably won't get to see it in a theater when it's released.

L

Lally

I have been told I HAVE to read the book several times but I just haven't gotten around to it (not because I don't want to, just because I haven't bought or borrowed it yet). The trailer looks like the story is right up my alley.

I was going to buy this book the other night, but I bought a Science Fiction anthology instead.

At the very least, I will be seeing it on DVD.

Mr. Lawface said:
MindDetective said:
[quote="Le Quack":3f3d7jbl]It kind of looks like a chick flick to me.
It pretty much is.
But with time travel![/quote:3f3d7jbl]

That makes it okay. It is my opinion that Jack from Titanic was a time traveler too, and every time I have viewed the film, I have been looking for evidence to support my claim.

If you always approach chick flicks with the assumption that there is a veiled Science Fiction plot device somewhere in it, you never have to worry about your masculinity.

Rob King said:
[quote="Mr. Lawface":2bgm77as]
MindDetective said:
[quote="Le Quack":2bgm77as]It kind of looks like a chick flick to me.
It pretty much is.
But with time travel![/quote:2bgm77as]

That makes it okay. It is my opinion that Jack from Titanic was a time traveler too, and every time I have viewed the film, I have been looking for evidence to support my claim.

If you always approach chick flicks with the assumption that there is a veiled Science Fiction plot device somewhere in it, you never have to worry about your masculinity.[/quote:2bgm77as]

Sex and the City is about Asimov's Laws of Robotics. The men are actually all robots, and they're trying to find a balance between not hurting the human women, obeying their orders, and self preservation.

Hey, it does work!

figmentPez

Staff member
Rob King said:
Well, he does talk about a manmade lake that hadn't been dammed up yet at the time the movie is set.

Rob King said:
If you always approach chick flicks with the assumption that there is a veiled Science Fiction plot device somewhere in it, you never have to worry about your masculinity.
:toocool: :thumbsup:

bhamv3 said:
Rob King said:
[quote="Mr. Lawface":39zb541c]
MindDetective said:
It pretty much is.
But with time travel!

Sex and the City is about Asimov's Laws of Robotics. The men are actually all robots, and they're trying to find a balance between not hurting the human women, obeying their orders, and self preservation.

Hey, it does work![/quote:39zb541c]

:smug:

It's good to know that you've touched a life.

Rob King said:
Or you can just approach chick flicks with the assumption that something as inane as what sort of movies you like has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on how manly you are.

I

Iaculus

Charlie Dont Surf said:
[quote="Rob King":2z8h4io6]
Or you can just approach chick flicks with the assumption that something as inane as what sort of movies you like has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on how manly you are.[/quote:2z8h4io6]

But... but... our fragile male egos!

Incidentally, Mav, 'The Girl In The Fireplace' took a fair measure of inspiration from 'The Time Traveler's Wife'. Not sure about the DS9 'sode, since I haven't watched it, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's a fairly influential book in sci-fi circles.

R

Rubicon

Iaculus said:
Incidentally, Mav, 'The Girl In The Fireplace' took a fair measure of inspiration from 'The Time Traveler's Wife'. Not sure about the DS9 'sode, since I haven't watched it, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's a fairly influential book in sci-fi circles.
I'll give you the fact it came out before that episode of Doctor Who

BUT

Time Travelers Wife was published in 2003

"The Visitor" from DS9 aired October 9th 1995

almost the exact same premise, just the method of time travel varies a little and it's a spouse not a father.

not to say it wont be a good story possibly, but its been done in science fiction before, the whole loved-one-lost-and/or-skipping-through-time meme.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
[quote="Rob King":2uo3ug7u]
Or you can just approach chick flicks with the assumption that something as inane as what sort of movies you like has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on how manly you are.[/quote:2uo3ug7u]

I approach you as if you were a Skynet application, searching the internet for forums to infiltrate. There, you post aggravating and provocative statements with the hope that someone will respond with love, not hate, and prove that humanity doesn't deserve to be nuked after all.

Mav said:
Iaculus said:

BUT

almost the exact same premise, just the method of time travel varies a little and it's a spouse not a father.

not to say it wont be a good story possibly, but its been done in science fiction before, the whole loved-one-lost-and/or-skipping-through-time meme.
Hardly a meme.

R

Rubicon

MindDetective said:
Mav said:
Iaculus said:

BUT

Hardly a meme.
Hmmm maybe, but just about every science fiction show has some kind of hopping through time episode while either being connected or drawn to a particular character, and a lot of these came out way before Time Travelers Wife. Farscape, B5, lord knows Star Trek, etc

R

rvdleun

Rob King said:
[quote="Mr. Lawface":3d0cmazy]
MindDetective said:
[quote="Le Quack":3d0cmazy]It kind of looks like a chick flick to me.
It pretty much is.
But with time travel![/quote:3d0cmazy]

If you always approach chick flicks with the assumption that there is a veiled Science Fiction plot device somewhere in it, you never have to worry about your masculinity.[/quote:3d0cmazy]
Well, it is... you see, Jack is actually from the past. You see, he just escaped from Atlantis...

Status
Not open for further replies.