TIL: Today I Learned

TIL Jet will use the toilet...if there is absolutely nothing else for him to do.

Do I have ot hide his toys away until he is potty trained? ;_;

Whatever it takes... whatever the cost.

I had to reward my son with glowsticks for about two weeks before he started using it on it own.

That would work, but glow sticks are much more expensive than stickers and marshmallows. I have to admit we're pretty cheap when it comes to parenting...

Like I said... whatever the cost lol. I tried other things but he really REALLY loves those damn glowsticks. They were the only reward that consistenly acheived results (tried TV, movies, toys, playground visits, swimming pool trips, stickers, candy, popcorn, magnets, angry birds time, apple juice, begging, threatening, crying, pleading, etc).

You just have to find what works and every kid will be different :)

Our daughter has a prize bag for going potty (specifically for when she poops in the toilet since she was not enthused about doing it). We filled it with cheap rings, barrettes, tiny bottles of play nail polish, etc. that we found in the "dollar" section of Toys R Us, Target, and the party section of other stores. The girl is as girly as can be, so giving her dress up stuff has been a great motivator.
Stickers didn't work for either of my kids. And I don't like using food as a reward because I think it sends the wrong message about food. However, I agree with Azurephoenix that you have to do whatever works for you and your kid.

I just sorta keep his diaper off and basically nag him every ten minutes.

"YA NEED TO PEE YET? GO ANY WAYS."

Probably not the best solution.

YIL that my UnderArmor Underooos still stink after they come out of the wash... I did not discover this until after I was speaking with my boss, and realized I smelled like ass.

TIL that my dog is trying to kill me.

I was walking around the yard this morning, in the dark with a flashlight, looking for his food and water bowls. He likes to hide them the minute he finishes eating. He runs out ahead of me into the dark, then from about 40 feet away reels around and runs at me at full speed and plows into my knee. It hyper extended just a little, I am surprised that it did not dislocate as hard as he hit me...

Puppy got a spanking.

TIL that my dog is trying to kill me.

I was walking around the yard this morning, in the dark with a flashlight, looking for his food and water bowls. He likes to hide them the minute he finishes eating. He runs out ahead of me into the dark, then from about 40 feet away reels around and runs at me at full speed and plows into my knee. It hyper extended just a little, I am surprised that it did not dislocate as hard as he hit me...

Puppy got a spanking.
My lab used to do that. He was way too good at reading me and if I was going to try to dodge. I learned to jump just before he hit, that way I would at worst flip and fall on my face.

That would work, but glow sticks are much more expensive than stickers and marshmallows. I have to admit we're pretty cheap when it comes to parenting...
I'm surprised. Given your talents and sensibilities, I would have expected you to have put together an arduino-based game that would encourage toilet use. Maybe something like skeeball with bells and flashing lights that would give out prize tickets based on accuracy?

TIL that I can just stay at the house and not do much of anything. First day I've been able to do that in a year or so.

TIL that my gecko can see in colour. Not only this but he can distinguish colours in less intense light where we only see various shades of grey.

I'm not really sure how this came up in French class but I had to google it.

Disney ain't just for kids. There are lots of places you wouldn't expect to find in those parks. Just got back 3 weeks ago and now starting early planning for another trip in two years to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.

I know! It didn't hit me until the alarm clock went off. As I was eating breakfast, I started thinking about all the real stuff I could get done today instead of attending this fluff-filled conference. I mainly signed up for it as a get-me-out-of-the-house thing not because it's anything important. Plus I can get out of the house for a while today anyway on my own terms - like for a run which I really, really need to do.

YIL I don't like one of my favorite restaurants Pork sandwiches. The broccoli raab in it tasted funky.

TIL I have all the time in the world, and yet I do nothing with it.

TIL: Resident Evil was -this- close to staying true to it's Survival Horror roots and going in a massively different direction than RE4/5/6 has gone:

Rick Moranis hasn't been in a live action film in 15yrs.

Rick Moranis said:
I'm a single parent and I just found that it was too difficult to manage raising my kids and doing the traveling involved in making movies. So I took a little bit of a break. And the little bit of a break turned into a longer break, and then I found that I really didn't miss it.
On the last couple of movies I made - big-budget Hollywood movies - I really missed being able to create my own material. In the early movies I did, I was brought in to basically rewrite my stuff, whether it was Ghostbusters or Spaceballs. By the time I got to the point where I was "starring" in movies, and I had executives telling me what lines to say, that wasn't for me. I'm really not an actor. I'm a guy who comes out of comedy, and my impetus was always to rewrite the line to make it funnier, not to try to make somebody's precious words work.
Wow.

I expect, due to the acidity, that it's cheaper to make the cans with a top and bottom, rather than a shaped can like most stackable cans. The higher acidity perhaps requires a different kind of plastic coating on the inside that's probably easier and cheaper to apply to metal sheets than to an assembled can.

At least, it sounds good in theory. I too, hate it. I need tomato paste for pizza sauce, but this nonstacking design is barbaric!
You need to start a kickstarter to design and manufacture a stackable tomato paste can.

With a name like Shakey that may work better.
It would, which leads into a TIL for me.

TIL I can't pick up a full pot of coffee with my left hand anymore. I used to be able to if I was careful, but today I just about spilled coffee everywhere with the pot maybe an inch off the warmer. I had to have someone else do it for me.