[Movies] Thor: The Dark World

Never even heard of him. Then again, I'm not a big Thor fan, so I just assume he doesn't really have many decent villains outside of Loki. Almost every Thor story I've read has had Loki involved in a major role.

He's a dark elf that it literally half dead, half alive and can get away with some freaky shit because of it.

I only know this because of Avengers: EMH.

Also, Jet saw the pic and knew who it was before I did.

Isn't he the guy who gave up a role of a lifetime to start in bit roles for crappy TV and horrible movies?

Not going to lie to you guys, I don't know who either that half elf, or the guy playing him are.

Looked him up on imdb. Only thing he's been in I've seen was 28 Days Later.

Hey Bowie, man, we (I do anyway, not in a position to speak for everyone) like it when you post.

Don't gotta lurk.

My only concern is Kenneth Branagh brought this amazing, epic scale feeling to the first Thor movie. I'm worried that, since he's not in the second, we won't get that same epicness.

My only concern is Kenneth Branagh brought this amazing, epic scale feeling to the first Thor movie. I'm worried that, since he's not in the second, we won't get that same epicness.
While I share your concern somewhat, I did like hearing that the new director plans to give this film a more "Viking feel" than the previous blend of Norse mythology and cosmic wonder-tech. I'm totally down with that.

I feel that Branagh got the epic scale right, but he didn't make Thor actually feel much like a superpowered hero. I remember griping that the climactic battle in the movie, which involved a freaking GOD OF THUNDER on one side, basically came down to a fistfight. Why isn't Thor summoning lightning against Loki? Why isn't Loki blasting Thor with his frost giant powers? It's like the director created this magnificent canvas and then forgot to paint on it.

Still though, I liked the first Thor well enough, and I'll definitely be seeing the sequel.

I feel that Branagh got the epic scale right, but he didn't make Thor actually feel much like a superpowered hero. I remember griping that the climactic battle in the movie, which involved a freaking GOD OF THUNDER on one side, basically came down to a fistfight. Why isn't Thor summoning lightning against Loki? Why isn't Loki blasting Thor with his frost giant powers? It's like the director created this magnificent canvas and then forgot to paint on it.

Still though, I liked the first Thor well enough, and I'll definitely be seeing the sequel.
After first viewing, I felt a bit underwhelmed as well, but after second viewing, I now the fewer powers approach to the final battle; it seemed more focused on what was going on between the two of them.

Alice Krige has been added to the cast of T:tDW in what is described as a "small role". No word on who (or what) she is playing, but there has already been a lot of speculation. The likely choices are: Alflyse, queen of the dark elves; Hela, goddess of death; or even Death, as a setup for Guardians of the Galaxy/Avengers 2.
Really don't see them using Hela, mostly because the movies have presented Loki a bit differently then the comics, and it may be weird to suddenly meet his daughter and attempting to explain the whole cycle of Ragnarok. (Also, I just can't see Hela having a "small role")

I don't think they will go as far as to present "Death" as an actual entity, as that goes a bit farther into the whole Death and Eternity cosmic order. Thanos will obviously see Death as an entity, but we will never see if the entity is "real" or just something caused by delusions.

Alfyse seems the most likely candidate, considering Malekith is involved.

If they explain that Ragnarok is a cycle, it will shut up the people saying that the Norse mythology in the first movie creates a plot hole.

Variety is reporting that Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, aka Mr. Eko from Lost / Simon Adebisi on Oz, has been cast as Algrim the Strong of the Dark Elves.

Algrim became the being known as Kurse.

Now I remember how Liefield caught on.
THAT IS A WALT SIMONSON DESIGN. Walt Simonson is a treasure who (arguably?) did more to create the mythos of Thor than Lee & Kirby. Rob Liefeld created Youngblood. Link their names again and I will be forced to...think...you...have very little understanding of comics.

Yeah. That'll show you.

Makes sense. "The Dark World" makes me think this one is going to be rather mystical, so if you had to have a hero cameo, why not the Sorcerer Supreme?

I just hope we get an Amora the Enchantress character or cameo. RAWR.