Export thread

The Walking Dead (game)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, I just finished the final chapter of TellTale's The Walking Dead.

I'm going to avoid spoilers for now, because anyone that's reading this that wonders if they should get this game, totally should. I don't think I've ever been so emotionally affected by a video game before.

I think I'm still crying.

An incredibly powerful storytelling experience, and the best damn game from TellTale to date.

Jay

Jay

I bought the game a few nights ago, I plan to play it, real soon.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I bought the game a few nights ago, I plan to play it, real soon.
I recommend taking your time with it. It's not a game you can marathon, you need a day between chapters to settle down.

phil

phil

I beat chapter one the other day. It's really good so far. I do and don't like the way the dialogue options are timed the way they are. I like it because it feels authentic but on the other hand I can't read that fast all the time :/ .

I made the mistake of having the TV on as well when I played so I said something without realizing it and got the notification that Clementine would remember that but I don't know what it was.

David

David

I don't own the game, but I've been following Tobuscus's Let's Plays. First time I've ever been hooked into watching a game. But then, it basically seems to be an interactive movie.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I don't own the game, but I've been following Tobuscus's Let's Plays. First time I've ever been hooked into watching a game. But then, it basically seems to be an interactive movie.
It's the interactivity that makes it so gripping. You have hard choices to make, and a short time to make them. I think I regretted every decision I made immediately, wondering if it would be the one that got everyone killed.

Frank

Frank

I choked up really hard at the end. Really hard.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This game is basically The Road with ZOMBIES. Those last few scenes hit you like a fucking truck.

Math242

Math242

this game is awesome but depressing

Jay

Jay

Started Episode 2 last night.... damn, that was crazy....

I think everyone is going to die.... but as long it's only me an Carley left, all is well in the world.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I played the last episode last week. It really does hit you hard. What I love about the game isn't just the great characters or engaging moments, but the real nail-biting decisions you have to make. There were some, especially the "it's either A or B. CHOOSE" moments. I actually paused the game a few times because i really didn't know what decision to make.

Jay

Jay

Finished Episode 2.

Wasn't shocked by the turn. Damn, lots of decisions. Geez can people not be told NO once and have to remind me over and over again even though I've been an awesome bro 90% of the time. There's like... all women. I liked it... not as much as the first one. However, Larry is dead.... and I played nice... the Kenny turned on me, bastard. I should just take Lilly and Carley and start anew somewhere.... and the motel is right there....

Jay

Jay

Well fuck..... FML

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Played Ep. 3, did ya, Jay?

Terrik

Terrik

I got the game a day or two ago and just finished Ep 2 and hot damn. I'm addicted.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Well fuck..... FML
That's basically the motto of the game.

Jay

Jay

Finished Episode 3

That mid episode thing that happened completely destroyed me... then the whole Katjaa/Duck thing. Jesus christ.

Picked up a few strays but they have been far less interesting.

Someone I truly wonder if my choices really matter. I say no to Kenny once and he's literally not my friend anymore and I've been cool as fuck with him.

Also Ben is useless as fuck and he keeps surviving.

Terrik

Terrik

Finished Episode 3

That mid episode thing that happened completely destroyed me... then the whole Katjaa/Duck thing. Jesus christ.

Picked up a few strays but they have been far less interesting.

Someone I truly wonder if my choices really matter. I say no to Kenny once and he's literally not my friend anymore and I've been cool as fuck with him.

Also Ben is useless as fuck and he keeps surviving.
Truly a WHAM episode. I got scared for a minute when

Clem suddenly appeared as zombie. Fortunately, it was all just a dream.

Jay

Jay

Dude, that was very well done... very very well done.

And this is after I took an hour break to calm the fuck down after Lilly murdered Carley... I was like... WHAT THE FUCK

Terrik

Terrik

Dude, that was very well done... very very well done.

And this is after I took an hour break to calm the fuck down after Lilly murdered Carley... I was like... WHAT THE FUCK
I am curious though how much I can change the story. I have not as of yet gone back and redone any decisions. Would Carley have been offed in Ep 1 if I had saved Doug? I chose to save that farmers son in ep 1 over duck, yet he still died. When Lilly offered to let me go with her when she wanted to steal the RV in Ep 3, would I have still been on the train? At the beginning of Ep 2, I took too long to make a decision and that music teacher got left behind (I'm apparently in the 15% of people who did that). I have no idea if Mr. One leg would have survived or not had I saved him or if that second student besides Ben would have survived (He reached for the gun and got shot only after we decided to leave the music teacher behind). I'm not sure how much the game lets you deviate. Regardless, it's a hell of a ride and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. On to Ep 4....

Also, if Ravenpoe hadn't made this thread, I probably wouldn't even have looked at this game. Kudos.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I am curious though how much I can change the story. I have not as of yet gone back and redone any decisions. Would Carley have been offed in Ep 1 if I had saved Doug? I chose to save that farmers son in ep 1 over duck, yet he still died. When Lilly offered to let me go with her when she wanted to steal the RV in Ep 3, would I have still been on the train? At the beginning of Ep 2, I took too long to make a decision and that music teacher got left behind (I'm apparently in the 15% of people who did that). I have no idea if Mr. One leg would have survived or not had I saved him or if that second student besides Ben would have survived (He reached for the gun and got shot only after we decided to leave the music teacher behind). I'm not sure how much the game lets you deviate. Regardless, it's a hell of a ride and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. On to Ep 4....

Also, if Ravenpoe hadn't made this thread, I probably wouldn't even have looked at this game. Kudos.
I saved Ben and he completely replaces Carley, with different dialogue and everything. The main plot points remain the same, Lilly will kill off whoever you saved in episode two no matter what, because it's central to the story, however, there are decisions that completely change later things in the game, you'll see...

Frank

Frank

Yeah, there's some stuff that happens no matter what, but how you get to those points and how the party feels about each other is up in the air a lot.

I can't remember if this video has been posted but if it hasn't, do not watch until you've finished chapter 5

phil

phil

Just finished episode 2. It felt a little less intense than episode one but the choices really got to me more.

Larry....Larry was really dead, right?

phil

phil

Done with episode 4.

I don't recognize the monster I see in the mirror anymore.

no but seriously this game is so intense. I just feel for these characters so much. Even in Mass Effect I didn't second guess my choices so much.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I really felt like a dick when I was annoyed by Duck all the way through and then how the scene played out with his mother... just... yeah, I felt like a total asshole

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I really felt like a dick when I was annoyed by Duck all the way through and then how the scene played out with his mother... just... yeah, I felt like a total asshole
Why oh why didn't I give him a high five? My last interaction with him was to leave him hanging.

Terrik

Terrik

Why oh why didn't I give him a high five? My last interaction with him was to leave him hanging.
I killed Morodin in ME 3 and I'm not as terrible as you

phil

phil

You're the worst kind of monster.

Also, finished episode 5.

Everything...everything will be ok, won't it? It was all worth it?

That was Omid and whats-her-name in the distance, right? Clem will go to them and they'll get on the train and get out of there.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

You're the worst kind of monster.

Also, finished episode 5.

Everything...everything will be ok, won't it? It was all worth it?

That was Omid and whats-her-name in the distance, right? Clem will go to them and they'll get on the train and get out of there.
Poor phil. Haven't you learned the lesson of The Walking Dead yet?

Nothing will ever be ok. But you have to believe it can be to survive.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That hurt.

I don't know if everyone got the same after-credits scene, but mine was a painful image of emotional trauma and mistrust.

phil

phil

Just started playing 400 days DLC.

5 minutes in and I feel like a monster.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I want to download the DLC, but my PSN has 4.19 on it. To put what I need, I have to give them my credit card--not happening. But all the other options are for set amounts, even if you pay via Paypal.

Annoying.

phil

phil

I dunno. I just finished it and it's a little bit Meh. Each character's story is super short, so I was hoping for more closure in the 2nd part. I'll probably play through it again later though, to see if I can get any different outcomes.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I was way behind the power curve on this one... I only played episode one at first, then made my way slowly to episode 2..... then I had financial windfall and bout ALL of the rest of it, and ripped through the remainder in one marathon session.

Right. In. The. Feels. Seriously... I love how much they invested in you having a connection with the characters, only to leave you hanging as to whether or not your friends would survive... Well done.

I've ripped through Season 2's first two episodes, as well.

Bonnie, you bitch! I've done nothing but be nice to you, and then you lead this second-rate would-be Governor down upon us? Your ginger ass is getting shanked, first chance I get.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I was way behind the power curve on this one... I only played episode one at first, then made my way slowly to episode 2..... then I had financial windfall and bout ALL of the rest of it, and ripped through the remainder in one marathon session.

Right. In. The. Feels. Seriously... I love how much they invested in you having a connection with the characters, only to leave you hanging as to whether or not your friends would survive... Well done.

I've ripped through Season 2's first two episodes, as well.

Bonnie, you bitch! I've done nothing but be nice to you, and then you lead this second-rate would-be Governor down upon us? Your ginger ass is getting shanked, first chance I get.
It feels even worse if you played the Season 1 DLC

In which one episode has you playing as Bonnie.

Goddamnit, Bonnie, can't you do anything right?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Oh yeah, I played the DLC.

Out of 5 people, I naturally played the last one chronologically first, and of course she was the only one not to go to the camp...

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

..... God. Dammit.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

Possible spoilers if you know nothing about Season 2:

I watched "Scumbag Lee" and the "Scumbag Clementine" on youtube, where all the asshole options are picked. I played Clem as very kind, still innocent, and not wanting to hurt others when not necessary. But just for the hell of it I may do a Scumbag Clem playthrough where she is an absolute bitch to everyone and see how it goes.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

If it means keeping Sarah alive, I might have to try it...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If it means keeping Sarah alive, I might have to try it...
Is that possible? I don't even know if 'd WANT to keep that load around. She's almost as bad as the high school kid from the first one.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Finished the Season 2 Finale. This ending won't make you cry, but you will feel sick to your stomach after this.

That bit with the fucking dog in episode 1 was foreshadowing for this ending.

Also, FUCK YOU ARVO. I saved your ass like 4 times and then you fucking shoot me? I should have stolen those fucking drugs, you little shit head. The only reason your sister is dead is because you lead those psychos right to me.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Finished the Season 2 Finale. This ending won't make you cry, but you will feel sick to your stomach after this.

Also, FUCK YOU ARVO. I saved your ass like 4 times and then you fucking shoot me? I should have stolen those fucking drugs, you little shit head. The only reason your sister is dead is because you lead those psychos right to me.
I cried ;_;

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I cried ;_;
Did you decide to go with anyone? I ended up shooting Kenny (the right move at the time) and then ditching Jane because she caused the whole thing.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Did you decide to go with anyone? I ended up shooting Kenny (the right move at the time) and then ditching Jane because she caused the whole thing.
Yeah, I let Kenny kill Jane, because I honestly thought Jane had killed the baby in order to get away from the Walkers. Afterwards I went with Kenny, but told him he was dangerous, and he said he knew, but he was trying his best to get better.

We then found Wellington, who wouldn't let us in because they were overfilled, and Kenny broke down and cried, and begged them to just accept Clementine and Alvin Jr. And then there was a long, tear-jerking goodbye with Kenny, with Clem begging him not to go, and him explaining he can't trust himself to always do the right thing.

Terrik

Terrik

Oh man what have I done to this story.

Gaaaah.[DOUBLEPOST=1409104380,1409104295][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, I let Kenny kill Jane, because I honestly thought Jane had killed the baby in order to get away from the Walkers. Afterwards I went with Kenny, but told him he was dangerous, and he said he knew, but he was trying his best to get better.

We then found Wellington, who wouldn't let us in because they were overfilled, and Kenny broke down and cried, and begged them to just accept Clementine and Alvin Jr. And then there was a long, tear-jerking goodbye with Kenny, with Clem begging him not to go, and him explaining he can't trust himself to always do the right thing.
I actually chose to stay with Kenny. Man, they sure know how to make a dramatic ending. That whole ending sequence. Edge of my seat.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

For what it's worth, Kenny isn't upset in the least if you shoot him. He understands why you did it and forgives you.

Ditching Jane has her admit that she can't go on alone anymore. Then final scene is Clem coming upon a horde in a warmer environment. She cuts up a zombie, covers both her and Alvin in goop, and calmly walks in.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

I loved my ending. (Kenny, Clem, AJ go to Wellington, Clem and AJ stay.)

It, for me, was my perfect ending. I hope everyone else got their perfect ending.

There's no way I could shoot Kenny. He's been loyal and had my back the whole time, even if he makes some bad decisions. As soon as Jane said "Whatever happens, don't get in the middle of it," I knew what she'd done. She was asking for a fight, and you don't need manipulative shit like that in your life. Kenny may have been an ass plenty, but he was always a straight-talker and never manipulative, and that is worth more than anything in a friendship, especially a zombie apocalypse.

I started despising Arvo the second he turned on us for "stealing" even though I didn't.

At any rate, for me, the ending I got was perfect, and I'm glad that I led myself there.

I'm interested to see where Season 3 goes, but I'm fairly certain it won't be starring Clementine. I can see if people got a different ending, they may want more. But with my ending, Clementine is safe. She'll be able to grow up, have a life, make new friends, and honor Lee and Kenny's wishes by keeping safe and (For Kenny) keeping AJ safe. It ties everything up wonderfully.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I feel better about my decision now...

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Yeah... feeling REALLY fucking good about my decision now.... I hope that little 4-eyed shitstain appears again sometime....

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Got the same as Doom and felt it was right. My wife is pissed at me for it though, so she's making up her own headcanon for what she'd rather have happened. Power to her, I guess.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

Got the same as Doom and felt it was right. My wife is pissed at me for it though, so she's making up her own headcanon for what she'd rather have happened. Power to her, I guess.
Well, there are a few other options if she wants to take a crack at it. ;D

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Well, there are a few other options if she wants to take a crack at it. ;D
That's what I said, and she says she can't play games like that. She plays Oblivion daily and got through the Mass Effect trilogy, but she can't play what's essentially Dialogue Option Dead: Season 2 because it has QTE and the dialogue choices go by too fast for her indecisiveness. So, I brought up Youtube, and she didn't want that.

Long story short, she spent an hour being pissed because I didn't choose the ending she wanted for the game I was playing. :rolleyes:

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

It's a high intensity game, somewhat, so it's killer for people with indecision, anxiety, and stress issues. If it helps her in the absolute slightest, you can hit escape to pause and mull over your options. It'll go to the menu screen, but if you can remember the general choices, you can pick.

My roommate can't play the game because it's too stressful. He's afraid of making the wrong decisions. I was like, "Even if you die, you respawn immediately," but it's too much for him. XD

Maybe this game should be in job interviews to see how well people can make decisions and stand by them.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

........ Is it bad that I didn't find it THAT high intensity?

What I DO love about it is that it's specifically designed against save-scumming.... you make a choice, you live with it, just like in real life. And just like in real life, there's not always a "good" option.

Seriously, I love this game, I love the format of it, and I need moooooooooooore!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You can go back and do-over, but you have to do the whole scene, without being able to skip dialogue ... which really sucks, as we found out when I loaded by accident.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Resurrecting the thread since I just finished it and so far no one else went with the ending I did:

I ended up shooting Kenny and going with Jane. I believed her that she didn't expect her trick to turn into a fight to the death, and she was right about Kenny. Even after defending Kenny for a while, he was just unstable. He admitted it even after you shoot him. I hated doing it, but I didn't see how siding with Kenny wouldn't end with the same thing happening again later, just with different people. Jane's a competent ally and does want to help Clem.

It ends with the three of you going back to Carver's place, finding it full of dead people with some food left. Soon after you get there, three people show up, two parents and their kid (or so they claim), and they ask if they can come in. You can either let them in or turn them away. I let them in, you can't rebuild anything while being paranoid about everyone (that doesn't mean not to be careful and keep an eye on new people, of course).

I can't see season 3 following Clem anymore, at least as a main character, given the massive differences in the endings.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

"Kirkman also implies that the new Season will be more closely intertwined with the events of the comic series.

Hm. I'm not sure if I like that. Part of the Telltale games' pull or charm is that they're largely separate from the comic. Because they use entirely different locations and (primarily) new characters, you have absolutely no clue what everyone's game is.

On the other hand, it'd be interesting if we could explore, say, Alexandria or Hilltop, if they fall into the same timeline as Clem.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

"Kirkman also implies that the new Season will be more closely intertwined with the events of the comic series.

Hm. I'm not sure if I like that. Part of the Telltale games' pull or charm is that they're largely separate from the comic. Because they use entirely different locations and (primarily) new characters, you have absolutely no clue what everyone's game is.

On the other hand, it'd be interesting if we could explore, say, Alexandria or Hilltop, if they fall into the same timeline as Clem.
Clem is apparently going to be in Season 3, so if it's going to be taking place around the same time as the current story stuff in the comics, she's going to be 14, as she's a year older than Carl. However, we'd need some explanation of how she got from where ever she is to DC/Virginia.

Dei

Dei

Dei

Dei

So has anyone been playing this besides me and Terrik?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I've been waiting for it to go on sale... and been too busy, really. I'm going to pick it up eventually though.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I have some money spare on my credit card... but I also have a road trip to Alabama coming up next week, and might need the emergency $$$. Will see how I'm looking after that.

Dei

Dei

New Frontier finale went up yesterday and it's now 40% off on the Telltale store, or 25% off on Steam.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Finally got a chance to go through this... this is a much different story than the previous two, but I also feel like this ultimately the most important story so far. But before I get into the story, I figured I should share my choices first.

20170707005139_1.jpg
20170707005144_1.jpg
20170707005148_1.jpg
20170707005153_1.jpg
20170707005157_1.jpg
20170707005307_1.jpg

People who lived through my story: Javi, Clem, Gab, David, Conrad, Joan, Eleanor. Maybe Max? It's not clear if he does or not.

Now onto the story...
Looking into the ratings, I kind of feel like a lot of players went into this with a "Help Clem" mindset because they'd become attached to her from the previous two games. I'll admit that my first instinct was "What would Lee do?", but I feel like that's the wrong way to look at it too. The key to REALLY understanding this story is "What would Javier want most, after losing everything?" and "What would Javier think Clem should do?". Only by exploring that avenue was I free to see through most of Clementine's bullshit. She may be right about David, but she was wrong about everything else and she needed someone to call her on it. Without someone caring enough to say "no" to her, she would have stayed the hard sociopath she becomes over Season 2.

I really liked how they did flashbacks to before the outbreak. Showing what Javier's life was like with his family and what Clem does with AJ was really important to the overall tone of this story. Embracing David is much easier and more meaningful after you see that it's Papi's final wish for Javier.

And I appreciate that, after what Clem does to Kenny if choose to shoot him in Season 2, that Clem was ready to handle it. It makes Kenny's death (foreshadowed with the dog in the first chapter) meaningful, instead of just a tragedy; his death prepared her to save a fighting family, if only temporarily.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The Final Season comes sometime in 2018.

Terrik

Terrik

Zombie Clem 2018

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Zombie Clem 2018
Those really are the only options; ether Clem dies out there saving AJ or she brings him back to Richmond.

Dei

Dei

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Was just about to post that.

Dei

Dei

I don't like what this trailer is foreshadowing.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Terrik

Terrik

The real question is whether or not the devs deliver a zombie-clem at the end of Episode 5, or if they pull a switeroo on us and kill her off in Episode 1 and make the rest of the game about AJ.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't like what this trailer is foreshadowing.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:
This was ALWAYS were it was going to go. Especially after the finale to Season 1.

Dei

Dei

The real question is whether or not the devs deliver a zombie-clem at the end of Episode 5, or if they pull a switeroo on us and kill her off in Episode 1 and make the rest of the game about AJ.
She dies in episode 1, then we have 4 episodes about Javier's family again.

Dei

Dei

Dei

Dei

Was about to go to bed, but the first chapter of The Final Season is downloadable now, so I guess I'll emotionally scar myself a little bit before bed.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Was about to go to bed, but the first chapter of The Final Season is downloadable now, so I guess I'll emotionally scar myself a little bit before bed.
I'm gonna wait a bit before I pick this up. Need to get finances in order.

Dei

Dei

Dei

Dei

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, it's kind of up in the air... I wouldn't be surprised if someone else grabbed the rights and tried to finish the story or if Robert Kirkman took it upon himself to give us some resolution in the form of comics, but until someone says something to the contrary, we're just kind of... stuck with the idea that it's over.

Dei

Dei

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Well that's good to know at least. I wouldn't be surprised if Gearbox Software was the interested party, considering their relationship with TT.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Skybound Games hiring some of the ex-developers from Telltale Games to finish The Walking Dead: Season 4.

This literally means Robert Kirkman and his associates have stepped in to see the story done AND help out some of the people affected by the studio closing. Good on him. It probably helps that they've got another big TWD game coming out soon in Overkill's The Walking Dead; this is good press for that.