The Triplets of Belleville

[CONTAINER][POSTER]
[/POSTER][MOVIE]Title: The Triplets of Belleville

Genre: [GENRE]Adventure[/GENRE], [GENRE]Animation[/GENRE], [GENRE]Comedy[/GENRE], [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Sylvain Chomet[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Béatrice Bonifassi[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Lina Boudreau[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Michèle Caucheteux[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jean-Claude Donda[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Mari-Lou Gauthier[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Charles Linton[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Suzy Falk[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2003-05-18[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]80[/RUNTIME]

Plot: [PLOT]When her grandson is kidnapped during the Tour de France, Madame Souza and her beloved pooch Bruno team up with the Belleville Sisters--an aged song-and-dance team from the days of Fred Astaire--to rescue him.[/PLOT][/MOVIE][/CONTAINER]

This one was nominated for two Oscar a few years ago, for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song.
And I have to admit I'm rather disappointed it lost to Finding Nemo and Lord of the Rings respectively.
Triplets is a very beautifully animated film featuring a unique caricature style.
An added bonus is that the film does not need to be dubbed or subtitled, as the actual words spoken in the film (sometimes English, sometimes French) are so limited that it doesn't make the story difficult to understand either way.

…and it has one of the catchiest songs EVAR*.

--Patrick
*French or English version, doesn't matter. They're both in my rotation. Ba-doomp-doomp-doomp...
Boomp!
Boomp!
Boomp!
Boomp!

I was a little disappointed by this one. With it's Oscar nom and glowing reviews, I guess I was expecting something more. I felt like there were parts here and there that dragged a little and didn't add to the over-all progression of the film. But I was glad to see some international animation getting some attention. It sometimes seems like the US forgets that it and Japan aren't the only countries making animated films/shows.

I saw this in theaters with my dad and my brother when I was 13 and animation like that is NOT forgettable. Were the other two bikers meant to look like horses, or were they supposed to just look dehydrated?