Export thread

The NBA Thread

blotsfan

blotsfan

Anyone else here watch the NBA? Its becoming one of my favorite sports because I don't have a team to let me down in it.

Heat and LeBron are looking really good tonight. I can't wait to see how Houston does too.

drifter

drifter

Yep. I'm mostly curious about the Nets; they could be really dangerous if everything pans out.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I've been a Washington fan since they were the Bullets, which I'm told makes me borderline masochist.

drifter

drifter

Agent Zero was pretty entertaining, at least.

Although now that I think about it, that ended up kinda not so good for the Wizards.

Covar

Covar

I'm in North Carolina, we have some of the best college basketball in the country and one of the worst NBA teams. Safe to say I don't watch a lot of professional basketball.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

OKC THUNDER! I need to watch a couple of games before we move.
I really hope Westbrook is 100%. They can't seem to win w/o him, and they shouldn't have let Harden go. I miss the beard. :(

blotsfan

blotsfan

Yeah, the Harden trade looks more and more like a disaster. I can't stand that the owner moved the team from Seattle and then has the gall to say that they're now in too small of a market to have paid Harden.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Rockets gonna dominate the league this year

Covar

Covar

Nuclear Option indeed. Adam Silver has banned Donald Sterling from the league, fining him the maximum amount allowed by the league (2.something million), and motioning for the the owners to vote to force Sterling to sell the Clippers.

Gared

Gared

See, Hansen should've just dug up a racist comment made by the Kings' owners and bought the team that way.

Jay

Jay

Good riddens, racist fuck.

Gared

Gared

Good riddens, racist fuck.
All joking aside, amen to that.

Jay

Jay

All joking aside, amen to that.
There's no room to joke around when you hold such a respected and predominant role as a team owner. Considering that the NBA consists of mostly black players, to say such things, even in a discreet environment is shameful and wrong. These players make you millions.

He got caught, you'd think black players would play for the Clippers with him there? They'll have to go a long way to clean their image even after this turd is long gone.

It has no place in modern sports today.

Actually....
It has no place today.
FTFM

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I love that we're punishing a rich asshole by giving him a billion fucking dollars. Great life

Covar

Covar

He got caught again
FTFY. He's been a known racist shithole for years. Lets not be like the players and sportswriters who are shocked, SHOCKED to find out Donald Sterling was a racist. He got what he deserved.[DOUBLEPOST=1398803171,1398802971][/DOUBLEPOST]
I love that we're punishing a rich asshole by giving him a billion fucking dollars. Great life
STFU Charlie

I know if you had you're way we'd be dragging him behind a pickup through the streets before we lynched him, but this is the real world, where thankfully people like you don't have the power to make everything fair by having everyone live in squalor, but this is the real world. The NBA does not thankfully have the power to financially ruin a person they disagree with. Forcing the sale of the team is not about punishing him, it's about removing his association with the NBA.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I am in the real world. I don't think anyone's happy a racist is getting a billion dollars

, but this is the real world, where thankfully people like you don't have the power to make everything fair by having everyone live in squalor,.
everyone already lives in squalor thanks to this guy, go check out his real estate holdings

Gared

Gared

There's no room to joke around when you hold such a respected and predominant role as a team owner. Considering that the NBA consists of mostly black players, to say such things, even in a discreet environment is shameful and wrong. These players make you millions.

He got caught, you'd think black players would play for the Clippers with him there? They'll have to go a long way to clean their image even after this turd is long gone.

It has no place in modern sports today.

Actually....

FTFM
I wasn't implying that Sterling was joking around, nor was I implying that there was anything OK about his behavior, but if you want to take my comment that way, you go right ahead.

Jay

Jay

You misunderstood me. lol

blotsfan

blotsfan

I am in the real world. I don't think anyone's happy a racist is getting a billion dollars
Which would you prefer, that he gets the money or keeps the team? The NBA can't just take away a billion dollar entity from someone without compensation. The courts wouldn't allow it.

Gared

Gared

You misunderstood me. lol
Ah... sorry, very long day.

jwhouk

jwhouk

He was a lousy owner before the tape. Now he's not an owner. Watch out, NBA.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

He may not be anything for much longer. ESPN and NY Post reporting Sterling is battling prostate cancer.

jwhouk

jwhouk

This will get stranger if the Clips win their playoff series over the Warriors.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Okay, weird moments:

1. Bucks are sold to two New York guys who want to keep the team in MKE, build a new arena.
2. Bucks get #2 overall pick - and select a Duke forward who arguably could have gone 1st or 3rd.
3. And now... this.

jwhouk

jwhouk

No.
NO.
A MILLION TIMES NO.

NOT JASON KIDD!

drifter

drifter

Sucks to be Larry Drew right now.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Paul George is almost definitley done for the season from a leg injury sustained in the team USA scrimmage.

This is what happened (VERY BRUTAL)

drifter

drifter

Yeah, that was horrendous. Scuttlebutt has it that there was likely a pre-existing weakness there, otherwise it wouldn't have broken.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So much crap going on, but I'm not interested in making another thread for it.

I understand the need for a Summer League so teams can look at rookies and lower-end free agents. What I don't get is ESPN showing highlights when there's a perfectly good baseball season out there. That and Vegas and the UK sports books putting lines on the games. If you're so desperate for action you're betting on NBA Summer League, you need help.

An then there's this kid Jordan in LA. So he didn't sign with Dallas? So effing what? What's sad is this guy's take. It's destroyed the franchise forever? Seriously?

When the press says anything less than 50 losses is a failure, and would prefer 60 or more, you have a garbage team in a garbage league.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And you wonder why they're having problems trying to approve a new arena in downtown Milwaukee.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Well they like to show summer league highlights over baseball because basketball has the advantage of actually being entertaining.

Also, Jordan could've at least called or texted saying "I'm signing with the clippers." You would never accept a job and then bail out without letting them know. It's bush league.

drifter

drifter

PatrThom

PatrThom

Took me a few loops to figure it out.

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

@Tress That's Dwight Howard saying "That's a bitch-ass move" regarding the Deandre Jordan embarassment. Rather fitting since Dwight, in an almost-but-not-quite-similar situation, had enough self-awareness to meet the Lakers in person to tell them he wasn't going to sign with them.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

@Tress That's Dwight Howard saying "That's a bitch-ass move" regarding the Deandre Jordan embarassment. Rather fitting since Dwight, in an almost-but-not-quite-similar situation, had enough self-awareness to meet the Lakers in person to tell them he wasn't going to sign with them.
Not to mention the breathless wall-to-wall coverage of Dwight's indecision-making process. Nothing short of 13 simultaneous no-hitters would push baseball highlights over top of All-Dwight-All-The-Time back then.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Bumping this thread with a reminder from your friends at WLW that in spite of tonight...

Covar

Covar

Cleveland is the reverse Pittsburgh for sports .

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

blotsfan

blotsfan

I might be the only NBA fan on this forum but I hope some of you watched last nights game because it was one of the best I've ever seen. Two great teams just going at each other for 48 minutes.

jwhouk

jwhouk

BErt

Live look-in to the Golden State GM office:image.jpeg

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Not worth starting a new thread 'cause everyone not Cleveland or Golden State is fucked...

jwhouk

jwhouk

Seriously.

How the heck the NBA manages to maintain its popularity despite only two (maybe three) teams realistically having any shot at a title is beyond me.

blotsfan

blotsfan

The NBA is the most entertaining sports league in the world. Don't @ me.

jwhouk

jwhouk

You haven't had a dog in the fight since the 70's. Hush.

blotsfan

blotsfan

You haven't had a dog in the fight since the 70's. Hush.
That might be a large part in why. Though I am currently wearing my Big Baller Brand shirt, so I do have some interest.

mikerc

mikerc

The NBA is the most entertaining sports league in the world. Don't @ me.
Don't think the NBA is on UK tv so genuine question here. What is it you find so entertaining? Is it just that you find basketball the most spectator friendly sport or is there something particularly special about the current season?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Its boon is also its bane: of any team sport, one player in basketball can, essentially, turn a game around and make a difference.

The problem is that roster sizes in the NBA (roughly 12, at last count?) means that there are only 360 "NBA-caliber" players in the world. And, of those, only maybe 10 are All-World.

The problem is, half of those players are concentrated on two to three teams at the present time (Golden State, Cleveland, Houston/Boston and/or San Antonio - depending on who you believe the third team may be). And, those five teams basically have eight-to-nine of the All-World players.

The problem is, even with a salary cap, there is no way to prevent the 10 best-of-the-best from colluding to play on the same team. This essentially throws the NBA's competitive balance out the window.

There has been some suggestion that perhaps the NBA should consider a single-elimination tournament for teams below the division champions, then have the tournament winner slotted in the best-of-seven conference semis. Of course, that'll happen on the twelfth of never, but it might bring a bit more interest to teams that are so drastically out of it by April into hoping for one hot streak.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Don't think the NBA is on UK tv so genuine question here. What is it you find so entertaining? Is it just that you find basketball the most spectator friendly sport or is there something particularly special about the current season?
Its players are more fun. There are much more storylines going on around the teams. I feel like the game keeps getting better and better while hockey and football have to make (much-needed) changes to make it safe. The league is talented and the players are doing simply incredible things. There is always some kind of craziness going on. Even if you know where its gonna end up, its the destination, not the journey.

The problem is, even with a salary cap, there is no way to prevent the 10 best-of-the-best from colluding to play on the same team. This essentially throws the NBA's competitive balance out the window.
The NBA would be best served by eliminating the max contract and going to a hard cap. KD can give up 5 million to play for the Warriors, but its harder to give up 20 million per year.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I hate to say it, but basketball is more for physical freaks than any other sport out there. If you're 5'4" like myself, you can basically forget about being a basketball player.

Dei

Dei

Pro basketball is really boring to watch imo. :/

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'd rather have NCAA hoops.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'd rather have NCAA hoops.
I will never understand this take. I watch and root for Mizzou, but 95% of college basketball is players standing around and hurling a bad shot.

Covar

Covar

and teamwork.

I'm to close to the heart of ACC Basketball to get very interested in the NBA. Granted I'm not a big Basketball guy period (I blame NC State, and not how absolutely terrible I am at basketball), but I prefer the version of the game with more passing and defense.

blotsfan

blotsfan

but I prefer the version of the game with more passing and defense.
This honestly sounds like you haven't watched the NBA since the mid-2000s. If you don't like it, then fine, but there is so much passing and spacing the floor now.

Covar

Covar

Good to know. Maybe I'll checkin on the Hornets at some point and see what they're up to.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Just once I wished I could watch an important NBA game without feeling the refs were bought off.

blotsfan

blotsfan

The refs didn't make Houston miss 27 straight threes.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The refs didn't make Houston miss 27 straight threes.
But there were several fouls not called on those missed 3s.

blotsfan

blotsfan

JR Smith is such a dumb motherfucker.

BErt

blotsfan

blotsfan

It's honestly just not fair.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

LeBron to the Lakers.

The worst part about this is now you'll never be able to shut LaVar Ball up.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I won't tolerate any Small-Baller talk like that.

Anywhom it'll be interesting to see what the lakers do with all their young players now.

Tress

Tress

I still see either Golden State or Houston trampling the Lakers in the immediate future. We’ll see if anyone else remarkable gets added to support LeBron... but it’s not like there wasn’t talent around him in Cleveland too.

blotsfan

blotsfan

But if the lakers get Kawhi and he's healthy...Kawhi is a top 5 player in the league.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I do kinda wish the original thread title could be altered, though.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The Basketball Gods demand a sacrifice...

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

But if the lakers get Kawhi and he's healthy...Kawhi is a top 5 player in the league.
Hey. Here's props to Blots for calling this a year in advance.

blotsfan

blotsfan

While I am definitely a genius, that wasn't a particularly hot take. He was 3rd in MVP voting the year before his injury (and shouldve won it IMO).

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So I wake up to a twitter feed full of laughing at the Knicks. So what else is new?

Oh... OH. :rofl:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Tree's take on the insanity...

Tress

Tress

Should we maybe update the thread title?

Dave

Dave

Should we maybe update the thread title?
Changed.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I know I make no secret of the fact that I don’t follow much in the way of sports, but this is an exception.

This guy was a childhood basketball hero for me and many others. His face and voice were as immediately recognizable for us as Shaq’s were for 90’s kids.

—Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

I did not realize until moments ago that The Palace at Auburn Hills is slated for demolition today.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

Did they finally manage to tear down that eyesore just south of it yet?

Gared

Gared

Free Woj, Fuck Disney.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Okay, I'm going to come out right now and say it.

It is entirely, entirely possible that all three of my favorite teams in the three major sports from my home town may end up playing for their respective league titles.

But the NBA crown is the one I probably would want to see happen, because if there is any team in this stupid league that deserves a title, it's the Bucks.

Fear The Damn Deer.

(munches idly on a Pita Brat)

BErt

BErt

527999CE-11BF-4F3E-8998-06F1A977BBE9.jpeg

jwhouk

jwhouk

Go BUCKS Go!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

This post didn't age well.

And what the hell, go Bucks in 6.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Go Bucks Go!
I would’ve thought you’d be more conflicted.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Nope. Grew up on the Bucks. Haven't been to a game since they played at the MECCA, but I've always been a Bucks fan.

#FearTheDeer

drifter

drifter

I may have a bit of a loyalty issue coming up next week… the team from where I live now vs. the team from where I grew up.
In fairness to blotsfan, I can see why he'd think that.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Yeah. However, as I have pointed out, I was a Bucks fan before I ever even dreamed of setting foot in the state of Arizona.

drifter

drifter

I have 100 internet points riding on the Bucks. Take me home Giannis! (assuming he comes back to play)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hopefully its not in a Willis Reed-like situation.

drifter

drifter

I feel like players nowadays are way smarter about their long-term health. Giannis seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders.

jwhouk

jwhouk

#BucksInSix

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

#BucksInSix
I said it first. :)

jwhouk

jwhouk

All we gotta do is win two more games.

blotsfan

blotsfan

The one game this finals I couldn’t stay up for and it’s the really good one

jwhouk

jwhouk

BUCKS IN SIX!!!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

BUCKS IN SIX!!!
We're in good company.

BErt

BErt

jwhouk

jwhouk

The “Valley-Oop” is what it shall forever more be called.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And what the hell, go Bucks in 6.
Called it first. :D

jwhouk

jwhouk

Fan first. :p

Fear the Deer, y’all!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Giannis, how do you spell your last name?”

”C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S.”

blotsfan

blotsfan

Incredible game/series by Giannis. His knee bent backwards less than a month ago.

BErt

BErt

Mina Kimes with the take of all takes

BErt

BErt

Lol
05CF8842-D66B-48C6-A44F-48E38607785D.jpeg

BErt

BErt

OMG

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Cool...

jwhouk

jwhouk

Finals MVP. League MVP. Defensive Player of the Year.

Two people have won all three: Michael Jordan and Giannis Antetokoumpo.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I call this, "Breakfast with Bango." :)
BreakfastWithBango.png

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I accidently clicked on this thread and I don't know what any of you are talking about or what any of these words mean but I'm glad y'all happy

jwhouk

jwhouk

The Milwaukee Bucks of the National Basketball Association just won their second championship in over fifty years. (That's through three different arenas, by the way.) The Bucks feature a large male deer, known as a "buck", as their team logo.

The man who led them to that first championship, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, made the fearless prediction of "Bucks in 6" which became a rallying cry for the fans. (Hence #BucksIn6 and #FearTheDeer trending on Twitter/Facebook/etc.)

Giannis Antetokounmpo is the 2013 1st round pick by the Bucks who chose to stay with the team, despite getting offered to go elsewhere in free agency. He scored 50 points in the final game, and had key moments in the two previous games - "The Block," which sealed a win in game four, and "The Valley-Oop," where he was on the receiving end of a long pass from Jrue Holliday to slam the ball into the hoop.

And Bango... well, he's the mascot. He's named after a famous call made by the Bucks' original radio voice, Eddie Doucette, who would cry out "BANGO!" when a Bucks player made a long jump shot. I bought the stuffed version back in the Oughts when I was still a Milwaukee Admirals STH and grabbed little things like that at the Bradley Center pro shop.

And the only NBA game that I have ever attended was at the MECCA Arena (nka University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Panthers Arena), featuring the Bucks.

EDIT: Oh, by the way: it's GEE-AH-NIS AH-DEHDO-KOON-BO.

blotsfan

blotsfan

The man who led them to that first championship, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, made the fearless prediction of "Bucks in 6" which became a rallying cry for the fans. (Hence #BucksIn6 and #FearTheDeer trending on Twitter/Facebook/etc.)
The disrespect to Brandon Jennings.

drifter

drifter

Also: GEE-AH-NIS? The fuck?

jwhouk

jwhouk

#BucksInFIVE

Bubble181

Bubble181

So how about that USA-Belgium match huh? 81-79 with a buzzer beater, we were so very close to a pretty big stunt.
I am, of course, talking about Team USA Women, but still, they've been undefeated since 2006 and it's never been this close in all that time.