The Ending of The Orphan---SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajungal

Staff member
So, I'm gonna black it out even though there's a warning. I've been reading all over looking for the "big twist" and so far the most popular one is this (seems to be the true one, but wondering if someone can confirm):

Don't click if you're gonna see the movie!
[spoiler:429cfry7]Esther is actually a 30-something year old woman with some type of dwarfism. She was a prostitute for rich pedophiles. Then she went crazy.[/spoiler:429cfry7]

:confused: Well... I can safely say that sounds unlike the other "evil/possessed child" horror movies I've seen/heard.

Has anyone seen it? Does anyone plan to?

The only thing I knew about the movie was seeing the posters around the city. Can't say I have any interest in seeing it, honestly.

I always turn to wikipedia when I want spoilers for films I don't want to see, but have enough morbid interest to want to know the ending.
Orphan was one such movie and I read through the wiki info, which is a good full summary of the film, to figure out who lives, who dies, the ending, all that.
So...
[spoiler:2jjf34k2]Yeah. She's a 33-year old woman with a disease that doesn't make her age. Basically we're talking Baby-Doll from Batman (maybe just the cartoon series. I don't know if she was in the comics). She's also psychotic and has killed dozens of people before the start of the film and just hides in plain sight by pretending to be an orphan and laying low between killings.
In the film she breaks a young girl's leg by pushing her off a slide, caves a nun's head in with a hammer, and tries to seduce her new "daddy" John and eventually just stabs him to death when he freaks out. Then she goes after the mute/deaf kid in the family with a handgun. The mother arrives to the rescue and they have a fight out on some thin ice. The ice breaks and both she and Esther go under. The mother crawls out, but Esther pulls herself partially out as well and tries to use the little girl persona again by crying out "don't let me drown mommy". That's when the mother says "I'm not your fucking mommy" and gives her a swift kick in the head to send her back to a watery grave.[/spoiler:2jjf34k2]

That reminds me of a movie called Sleepaway camp or something like that. Well OK maybe not, but in terms of "effed up" movies involving kids, that one takes the cake.

I am so glad this movie is out.

I have no intention of seeing it, but it means that very soon the creepy ass poster of it will be gone from my local cinema.

C

chakz

@Li3n said:
Not now...

This.

-- Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:00 pm --

Rob King said:
I am so glad this movie is out.

I have no intention of seeing it, but it means that very soon the creepy a** poster of it will be gone from my local cinema.
This too.

Shawnacy said:
I always turn to wikipedia when I want spoilers for films I don't want to see, but have enough morbid interest to want to know the ending.
Orphan was one such movie and I read through the wiki info, which is a good full summary of the film, to figure out who lives, who dies, the ending, all that.
So...
[spoiler:2aqhv48u]Yeah. She's a 33-year old woman with a disease that doesn't make her age. Basically we're talking Baby-Doll from Batman (maybe just the cartoon series. I don't know if she was in the comics). She's also psychotic and has killed dozens of people before the start of the film and just hides in plain sight by pretending to be an orphan and laying low between killings.
In the film she breaks a young girl's leg by pushing her off a slide, caves a nun's head in with a hammer, and tries to seduce her new "daddy" John and eventually just stabs him to death when he freaks out. Then she goes after the mute/deaf kid in the family with a handgun. The mother arrives to the rescue and they have a fight out on some thin ice. The ice breaks and both she and Esther go under. The mother crawls out, but Esther pulls herself partially out as well and tries to use the little girl persona again by crying out "don't let me drown mommy". That's when the mother says "I'm not your fucking mommy" and gives her a swift kick in the head to send her back to a watery grave.[/spoiler:2aqhv48u]
That sounds like a really cool ending, actually. :uhhuh:

Charlie spoiled this for me (with permission, not by accident) and now that I know this ending I actually want to see the movie. On cable, of course. Can't even be arsed to download it. But come on, that's just awesome.

E

EpicEpileptic

I saw it last Friday, it was worth a view but I wouldn't recommend paying full ticket price for it. Maybe catch a matinee price or just wait for it to come out on cable. It wasn't too terrifying but it wasn't a half bad flick though. I heard that the actress who played Esther, the orphan, is actually 9 years old which makes me wonder how weird doing the final scene with the father was or made her feel. Or for that matter just being that character in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.