[Movies] The DC Cinematic Universe - The David Zazlav Dumpster Fire.

Well, if you have to step away from the movie, who is a better fit to finish than Whedon?

The reason he's leaving is a tragedy, though. I wish Snyder and his family the best.

Well, if you have to step away from the movie, who is a better fit to finish than Whedon?

The reason he's leaving is a tragedy, though. I wish Snyder and his family the best.
Whedon will be doing pick-ups and editing. For the most part, the principal photography is done. He knows his way around the editing room though. So yeah, the movie may be better for this, but this sure as shit isn't the way I'd want it to happen. I know we all talk about this stuff a lot, but in the end it's just a movie.

Yeah I mean I extremely disliked BvS but I didn't want something like this to happen, and to make fun of his daughter's suicide is honestly a shitty thing to do.

Yeah I mean I extremely disliked BvS but I didn't want something like this to happen, and to make fun of his daughter's suicide is honestly a shitty thing to do.
I never said I wanted that to happen. It's an awful thing that I wouldn't wish on anyone, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to make a joke where I see one. I made jokes when my best friend was shot to death, so I'm not going to hold back here.

If an off color comment made here, where you guys are the only ones that will see it, is somehow going to adversely affect the world, then I'd love to hear that theory. And if you can provide a handy guide as to what is and isn't off limits for humor, that would also be helpful.

I never said I wanted that to happen. It's an awful thing that I wouldn't wish on anyone, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to make a joke where I see one. I made jokes when my best friend was shot to death, so I'm not going to hold back here.

If an off color comment made here, where you guys are the only ones that will see it, is somehow going to adversely affect the world, then I'd love to hear that theory. And if you can provide a handy guide as to what is and isn't off limits for humor, that would also be helpful.
I took it in the spirit it was intended. I realize for some, Death can never be anything other than a serious topic. I am not one of those people.

--Patrick

I took it in the spirit it was intended. I realize for some, Death can never be anything other than a serious topic. I am not one of those people.

--Patrick
It can be something to joke about, but it depends on the timing, the circumstance, the intended audience, and the delivery. Making a joke about a filmmaker's daughter committing suicide by using his film work? That's incredibly distasteful and disrespectful. Like I said in a Facebook post about the subject: "Anyone who makes a crack about his work because of this is a complete piece of shit." In this case, the joke was made immediately below a discussion about how distasteful and shitty it is to joke about it. Bad timing, bad delivery, bad audience, bad circumstance.

It can be something to joke about, but it depends on the timing, the circumstance, the intended audience, and the delivery. Making a joke about a filmmaker's daughter committing suicide by using his film work? That's incredibly distasteful and disrespectful. Like I said in a Facebook post about the subject: "Anyone who makes a crack about his work because of this is a complete piece of shit." In this case, the joke was made immediately below a discussion about how distasteful and shitty it is to joke about it. Bad timing, bad delivery, bad audience, bad circumstance.
Black humour exists. Not enjoying it yourself is one thing, calling people who use it pieces of shit is...maybe a bit much?

Also, there are clearly people here who don't feel the same, so sweeping us away and declaring it a bad audience is ridiculous.

Black humour exists. Not enjoying it yourself is one thing, calling people who use it pieces of shit is...maybe a bit much?

Also, there are clearly people here who don't feel the same, so sweeping us away and declaring it a bad audience is ridiculous.
I don't mind the occasional black humour. I like Cards Against Humanity, for example. But again: timing, circumstance, audience, delivery.

In the event that I committed suicide and someone made a joke about it? I'd hope someone kicked their fucking ass.

Thing is, I don't even think suicide is a taboo subject for comedy. I've laughed at multiple Cyanide & Happiness strips and videoes. Or the running joke with sad sack Ted in Scrubs.

But that's all fiction. Making fun of an actual, Real life suicide? No. That'll never be funny to me, regardless of the situation.

You're probably spending too much time with Dave.

Now THAT is offensive!

In the event that I committed suicide and someone made a joke about it? I'd hope someone kicked their fucking ass.

I would kick their ass. I've also refrained from making some jokes that I thought might hit too close to home in threads involving you because I thought you might not be in a good place at the time to be able to parse it in the way intended.

I also would not make the (admittedly bad) joke I made in a place like Reddit, or Facebook, or any publicly viewed place, because I would agree that it's in poor taste. But this is not a public place. Even though it is publicly viewable, unless someone is searching for minotaur penis or floppy man hooties people are unlikely to come across it. The joke, which is now destroyed because it is being explained (which isn't a big loss) was making the same kind of joke that was being lambasted, but doing it in a more private way. As I pointed out, none of us here personally know Zach Snyder or his daughter, and I highly doubt he's a secret lurker to be wounded by my words.

I'll die on this hill.

It is really frustrating that ,with the overwhelmingly positive buzz that the movie has, DC/WB hasn't already lifted the official review embargo. It implies one of two things -- either the reviews won't match the buzz (which seems increasingly unlikely) or the people handling the big picture of the DCEU don't know what they are doing.
Or they're thinking if they keep the embargo for a good movie, they can say "hey, see: we don't put on these embargoes to protect bad movies - we do it to keep a good movie fresh for the audience."

Or they're thinking if they keep the embargo for a good movie, they can say "hey, see: we don't put on these embargoes to protect bad movies - we do it to keep a good movie fresh for the audience."
I'm not sure that theory is necessarily distinct from one of my hypotheses. ;)

Considering how little they have promoted the WW movie, I think it's because someone at WB really, really wants it to fail.

I couldn't not see something about Suicide Squad every 10 minutes back before it came out, but I have seen nothing about the WW movie, and only a day ago realized it was coming out soon. Maybe they are stopping the posting of reviews not because it's a stinky mess, but because it might actually be good and they don't want it to make enough money to succeed, since that might mean a successful woman hero protagonist AND a successful female super hero director, and the stuffy guys in Hollywood can't have that.

I mean, seriously, go look at the promotional material for the DC universe movies. Justice League has more promotional videos released now then the WW movie.

a successful woman hero protagonist AND a successful female super hero director, and the stuffy guys in Hollywood can't have that.
These two things - along with the movie itself looking actually promising - make me SERIOUSLY consider breaking my promise just for this movie.

GasBandit

Staff member
My curiosity got the better of me and I watched some spoilery "leaked" scenes from WW. It looks interesting, sometimes irritating, sometimes cool... but UGH it's got that SAME GOD DAMN monochromatic color palette we all have gotten so very sick of 9 times over. Given that this movie will inevitably be compared to GotG2, it'll be even more excruciating going from a vividly colored spectacle to... well, Grimdark.

Considering how little they have promoted the WW movie, I think it's because someone at WB really, really wants it to fail.

I couldn't not see something about Suicide Squad every 10 minutes back before it came out, but I have seen nothing about the WW movie, and only a day ago realized it was coming out soon. Maybe they are stopping the posting of reviews not because it's a stinky mess, but because it might actually be good and they don't want it to make enough money to succeed, since that might mean a successful woman hero protagonist AND a successful female super hero director, and the stuffy guys in Hollywood can't have that.

I mean, seriously, go look at the promotional material for the DC universe movies. Justice League has more promotional videos released now then the WW movie.
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/04/wonder-woman-marketing

I'll have to take your word for it. I'm seeing as much of Wonder Woman as I did BvS and Suicide Squad, but most of media consumption is online. I know from the Jimmy Fallon interview with Gal Gadot that there's a towering promo in Times Square. I'm guessing there's fewer TV spots?

I don't know if the movie's good or not, but Gal Gadot is adorable.

There has to be some promotional material, obviously, but I have just seen zero TV spots here while surfing. I tripped over SS and BvS, but WW snuck up on me, because I would see nothing about it while watching TV or surfing my usual places.

It was interesting reading the article posted by Covar, but even more interesting reading the article they linked by Uproxx.

The Covar article is saying that iSpot is reporting WB is spending MORE on advertising for WW then they did on SSquad, but I honestly don't see it. Advertising is a SATURATION GAME, you get the word out as much as possible through as many avenues as possible with as many posters, video, etc as possible to remind people to go see it, and WW just feels way less saturated then the past two movies in this DC universe. What are they spending all that money on?

There has to be some promotional material, obviously, but I have just seen zero TV spots here while surfing. I tripped over SS and BvS, but WW snuck up on me, because I would see nothing about it while watching TV or surfing my usual places.

It was interesting reading the article posted by Covar, but even more interesting reading the article they linked by Uproxx.

The Covar article is saying that iSpot is reporting WB is spending MORE on advertising for WW then they did on SSquad, but I honestly don't see it. Advertising is a SATURATION GAME, you get the word out as much as possible through as many avenues as possible with as many posters, video, etc as possible to remind people to go see it, and WW just feels way less saturated then the past two movies in this DC universe. What are they spending all that money on?
To be fair, Suicide Squad was a movie made entirely out of trailers, so it makes sense it would have more.

These two things - along with the movie itself looking actually promising - make me SERIOUSLY consider breaking my promise just for this movie.
I must've missed this post earlier. This is kinda like with the DC comics, but I'm having a hard time seeing why this is a big deal for you.

Example, when we were talking about Doomsday Clock, you were mentioning all this other stuff you'd have to read in order to read Superman now, while my wife has never read a Superman comic before Rebirth and enjoyed it just fine. You're a smart guy, so you could too. Are you stuck on this completionist thing?

Because seeing Wonder Woman does not then commit you to watching other DCEU movies. You can just go in, see this movie, either like it, hate it, or meh it, and then walk away. You don't have to sit through Justice League or ... I don't even know what's happening any more after all these announcements, but you don't need to either. It can just be a movie, by itself, and be the end of it.

Unless Canadian theaters pump you full of addictive drugs that force you to keep coming back. Gas was right about the dangers of Canadian healthcare!

I've had three hours of sleep. Wee!