[Movies] The DC Cinematic Universe - The David Zazlav Dumpster Fire.

Everything else aside, expect the dark-and-gritty to continue until the crisis is over and people are optimistic adn spending again. Art reflects atmosphere/attitude in the general population. Crises tend to produce more escapism, and also more attention to flaws and more of a focus on "dark"' and "gritty". Happy times lean towards more introspective work, exploration, discovery, belief in good and right.

Also, I read Z's post and was thinking "huh, is she trying to get on a good footing wth Nick or has she not met him yet". Beat me to it :p

It's based off the New 52 origin comic for the Justice League. As usual, I hate pretty much everything about the rebooted universe. Green Lantern was the only thing I found tolerable. The fact that everyone wanted to bone Wonder Woman was a constant point of annoyance to me, and Billy Batson was a little punk.

Just. Awful.
Yup... there's your problem right there.

Even putting aside what people thought of the characters and story, even the techinical side of the movie was bad. The animation was staggeringly uneven and the voice acting was generally bad (Vocodered Steve Blum as Darkseid? Everyone involved should have been fired for that).

Then they didn't even bother to hire Christopher Drake, who has provided the best music the DC animated movies have had (including his sort of Justice League movie theme that has been used in both Crisis on Two Earths and Doom and scores for Under the Red Hood and Dark Knight Returns), instead going with an incredibly generic score.

Last edited:
Then they didn't even bother to hire Christopher Drake, who has provided the best music the DC movies have had (including his sort of Justice League movie theme that has been used in both Crisis on Two Earths and Doom and scores for Under the Red Hood and Dark Knight Returns), instead going with an incredibly generic score.
The animated comic book movies that don't get theatrical release don't really count as "real" movies compared to a $200m+ studio production like this one

The animated comic book movies that don't get theatrical release don't really count as "real" movies compared to a $200m+ studio production like this one
...okay? What's your point? That's a given. What does that have to do with them not hiring the same guy to do the score like they had in previous animated movies? And how is War considered a "real" movie?

...okay? What's your point? That's a given. What does that have to do with them not hiring the same guy to do the score like they had in previous animated movies? And how is War considered a "real" movie?
I don't mean disrespect, I'm just saying not to hold your breath for any crossover between animated comic book movies and live action. They're different worlds.

and War - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499556/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt - is a "real" movie since it had a wide theatrical release

I don't mean disrespect, I'm just saying not to hold your breath for any crossover between animated comic book movies and live action. They're different worlds.

and War - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499556/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt - is a "real" movie since it had a wide theatrical release
I meant Justice League: War, you ponce. You know, the one we've been discussing for the past two pages? And again, who said ANYTHING about a crossover between the two properties? None of us were even inferring that idea, so why bother even bringing it up? Especially when that wasn't even what _I_ was talking about in response to you the first time.

I'd say you were bringing up entirely new points to make some kind of point, but it's all just pointless.

He may not be correct about some things, but Charlie really hasn't been rude in this thread. You guys are all over his ass. Lighten up a bit.

He may not be correct about some things, but Charlie really hasn't been rude in this thread. You guys are all over his ass. Lighten up a bit.
You're right, he's not. He's just being an idiot because we've been talking about the animated movie for the past page and a half. And of course, he must "end" things with another one of his patented, half-assed, disingenuous apologies that's just another snippy comment.

Inserting your two cents into a conversation without first reading what the conversation is about is a pretty douche move, IMO.

Everything else aside, expect the dark-and-gritty to continue until the crisis is over and people are optimistic adn spending again. Art reflects atmosphere/attitude in the general population. Crises tend to produce more escapism, and also more attention to flaws and more of a focus on "dark"' and "gritty". Happy times lean towards more introspective work, exploration, discovery, belief in good and right.

Also, I read Z's post and was thinking "huh, is she trying to get on a good footing wth Nick or has she not met him yet". Beat me to it :p
I see what you're saying, but I also think it's due to lazy writing. We've come to rely on "dark and grim" to over-shadow weak character development. Also, at what point is it worth assassinating the core of an iconic character to fit in with current climate? Batman I get, because his whole origin is dark. Superman was supposed to be the last beacon of hope for Krypton and later on, the human race. How is it that DC (or WB) doesn't have a single writer on staff to make sure that even in the darkest story, Superman remains that beacon of hope? I think a strong writer/s could turn the tide if given the chance.

And yes, through years of lurking, I am aware of Nick's views on Superman. But this isn't written with him in mind, this is truthfully my own feelings on the character. Him agreeing with me is icing on the cake. :p

I see what you're saying, but I also think it's due to lazy writing. We've come to rely on "dark and grim" to over-shadow weak character development. Also, at what point is it worth assassinating the core of an iconic character to fit in with current climate? Batman I get, because his whole origin is dark. Superman was supposed to be the last beacon of hope for Krypton and later on, the human race. How is it that DC (or WB) doesn't have a single writer on staff to make sure that even in the darkest story, Superman remains that beacon of hope? I think a strong writer/s could turn the tide if given the chance.

And yes, through years of lurking, I am aware of Nick's views on Superman. But this isn't written with him in mind, this is truthfully my own feelings on the character. Him agreeing with me is icing on the cake. :p
The thing is, before Man of Steel came out, they managed to easily do great Superman stories multiple times in the DCAU.

The Justice League/ Justice League Unlimited

Superman vs The Elite

Superman: The Animated Series

Superman: World's Finest

I put the blame on War firmly on the shittiness of the New 52.

The thing is, before Man of Steel came out, they managed to easily do great Superman stories multiple times in the DCAU.

The Justice League/ Justice League Unlimited

Superman vs The Elite

Superman: The Animated Series

Superman: World's Finest

I put the blame on War firmly on the shittiness of the New 52.
They have, I agree! I just don't like that DC/WB is taking this "one size fits all" approach to their characters. Whether it's because of the films or 52, their trying to fit everyone into a certain mold, and it changes the core of certain characters. I think these characters owe their longevity to the fact that they are so different from each other in personality and approach. Homogenizing them just makes them bland.

...So, how much longer are they gonna keep digging themselves deeper into a pit of stupidity? At this point, they ought to have someone bury from the top, make it a grave and kill this stupid idea.

If MIGHT work. I say that with a VERY strong "might," though. For example, it MIGHT work if they play him like the uppity, young genius inventor ala Luthor from Superman: Birthright. That's the only possible direction I could see that MAYBE working.

I still don't see it, though. But this movie is becoming more and more of a glorious disaster even before it comes out.

YES THIS MOVIE IS GOING TO BE AWESOME

Superman
snapping Zod's neck and howling in despair
in Man of Steel is the first time I thought the character was interesting ever

You really don't like Nick, do you?

But yeah this is a really dumb idea. It'd be like having some gay cowboy be the joker.

But yeah this is a really dumb idea. It'd be like having some gay cowboy be the joker.
I'm with this guy. How dare they cast a well known, oscar nominated and respected actor who is known best for his portrayal of a brilliant, insanely focused business man who is willing to crush anyone who gets in his way to play a brilliant but insanely focused business man who is willing to crush anyone in his way? This makes no sense. RAGE!!!!!!!!!

But seriously this is brilliant. He's going to make a fantastic Luther. Not as good as Bryan Cranston or Idris Elba but close.

That's my issue, it's not like Heath Ledger at all. Ledger was never known for anything like the Joker. He proved himself by playing something completely different than anything he's ever done. They're just hiring Jesse Eisenberg to play Mark Zuckerberg. We already know exactly what this is going to look like, and it's blah.