[Comics] The Battle of the Atom: Help?

Highlights of what has gone on since AvX.

Beast is sick of the mess that the X-Men has become, particularly Scott basically becoming Magneto 2: The Suckening. So, he decides to bring the original team back from when they first formed to talk some sense into their current counterparts.

Jean gets to learn that she's dead (for reals this time, we swear).

I haven't read the more recent issues, but basically, the original team are so upset over what has become of Xavier's dream that they decide they're going to make it all better.

I guess the crossover is about them wanting to stay, but the current team having to fight them because their presence is screwing up the timestream or somesuch.

If you haven't read AvX, look up summaries of it and Schism on wikipedia or something because that covers the entire evolution of Scott being an amoral dickbag.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
Haven't been non-time-travelling jean grey been dead for several years now?

Also, how exactly Scott has become like magneto? He is a mutant supremacists? Also didn't he kill Xavier because of the Dark Phoenix or something
Where is Namor?

Haven't been non-time-travelling jean grey been dead for several years now?

Also, how exactly Scott has become like magneto? He is a mutant supremacists? Also didn't he kill Xavier because of the Dark Phoenix or something
Where is Namor?
Current time-line Jean has been dead for quite a while, since the end of the run of New X-Men (which this whole thing with Cyclops renders her decision to stay dead and encourage him to hook up with Emma completely pointless).

Scott killed Prof. X when he was possessed by the Pheonix Force, but prior to that, he had already set up a X-Force to be the wetworks branch of the X-men. This decision ultimately caused the events of Schism in which Wolverine broke from Cyclops' team over their differing opinions over whether they should train the new mutants as soldiers or teach them as children. Surprisingly, their expected roles were flip flopped with Wolverine not wanting to harden the children into cold killers like him and Cyclops wants to train them as soldiers for the war against humanity. Basically, the whole "No More Mutants" situation pushed Cyclops over the edge and he viewed humanity as out to commit genocide, so he believed mutant kind should reply in kind. So, in essence, Cyclops is just like Magneto in his goals. Hell, he's actually working with Magneto and Emma who have pretty much reverted to their villainous roles, albeit a bit more complex than before.

I don't know what's up with Namor, I don't remember if he stayed with the X-men after the events of AvX.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
Current time-line Jean has been dead for quite a while, since the end of the run of New X-Men (which this whole thing with Cyclops renders her decision to stay dead and encourage him to hook up with Emma completely pointless).
Okay... this probably examplifies what I dislike in comics.

Scott killed Prof. X when he was possessed by the Pheonix Force, but prior to that, he had already set up a X-Force to be the wetworks branch of the X-men. This decision ultimately caused the events of Schism in which Wolverine broke from Cyclops' team over their differing opinions over whether they should train the new mutants as soldiers or teach them as children. Surprisingly, their expected roles were flip flopped with Wolverine not wanting to harden the children into cold killers like him and Cyclops wants to train them as soldiers for the war against humanity. Basically, the whole "No More Mutants" situation pushed Cyclops over the edge and he viewed humanity as out to commit genocide, so he believed mutant kind should reply in kind. So, in essence, Cyclops is just like Magneto in his goals. Hell, he's actually working with Magneto and Emma who have pretty much reverted to their villainous roles, albeit a bit more complex than before.
Okay, this was going great until the bit where Cyclops wanted to "reply in kind", not the greatest move.

Still, it does looks weird.

I don't know what's up with Namor, I don't remember if he stayed with the X-men after the events of AvX.
How can they save mutantkind without Namor's fine abs? No wonder things are messed up.