The Adventures of Kanira Baxter

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RocketGirl

Since July of 2009, I've been running a webcomic called The Adventures of Kanira Baxter. to put it in a nustshell, it's cheesy pulp sci-fi in that kind of 40s-through-80s style that so few people do anymore.

It's all about a group of bounty hunters with hearts of gold on a spaceship called "The White Knight", whose captain has always dreamed of being a space explorer instead...

http://kanirabaxter.comicgenesis.com/

Dave

Staff member
Why does everyone who joins this forum have so much more talent than I do? Dang it! Can we get at least 1 new person who can't draw even a stick figure?!?

You, young lady, have a lot of talent.

R

RocketGirl

Why does everyone who joins this forum have so much more talent than I do? Dang it! Can we get at least 1 new person who can't draw even a stick figure?!?
I'm sure those folks simply aren't speaking up... ;)

Aww, shucks. *blush* :)

Espy said:
I agree! What are your influences RG?
Well, let's put it this way: I've got a tattoo of the Rebel Alliance insignia.
I'm a Star Wars fan from WAY back; I was a year and a half old when the first movie came out, and I imprinted on it, big time.
That said, though, perhaps the biggest influence on my comic is actually Star Trek...after a fashion. I don't much care for a lot of aspects of the Trekverse, but the basic premise--exploring space--is one I really, really like. And, actually, I found First Contact to be pretty all right, and the J.J. Abrams re-boot made a believer out of me. But even those haven't quite done the concept the way I'd like to see it...so I'm doing it myself; though they start out as bounty hunters with hearts of gold (their ship is called the White Knight; you do the math) they eventually become space explorers.
Babylon 5 is also a huge influence; I have a larger-scope macro-plot arc planned out for this thing. It may not be readily apparent YET, but it's there.
And I like to think of the visual/tech style as being NASA-meets-The-Jetsons.
Character-art wise, I think my biggest influence is Wendy Pini of ElfQuest fame.

Overall, I tend to pitch this comic, Hollywood-style ("Terms of Endearment meets Predator", for example) as being the ship and crew from "Firefly", with "Star Trek's" mission, in a "Star Wars" style universe, with "Babylon 5's" plot arc, glossed over with a NASA-meets-the-Jetsons look.

Granted, I won't even hit 100 pages until December 22nd, but...gettin' there, neh? :)
Thanks for looking!

D

Deschain

Don't worry Dave, I can't draw worth shit. I convey my emotions through violence and anger.

D

Dusty668

Soooo Deschain, you gonna start a forum for your violence and anger?

C

Chibibar

I can't draw worth of salt :) does that make you feel better? (really I can't)

Dave

Staff member

I can't draw worth of salt :) does that make you feel better? (really I can't)[/QUOTE]

You know, it really does. Thanks, Chibi!

I can't draw worth of salt :) does that make you feel better? (really I can't)[/quote]

You know, it really does. Thanks, Chibi![/QUOTE]

My drawings suck as well. Also my sister-in-law was drawing a stick figure and somehow she ended up with a three legged stick figure without trying to but than again she doesn't come here and personally I think we would give her a heart attack if she ever did come here :D

Status
Not open for further replies.