Export thread

TF2 Revenge of the Fallen(thread): Bay doing coke off dead h

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

ookers with your $10 bills.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... rmers2.htm

The total will probably grow and I wouldn't scoff at $300 million domestic by the end of next weekend.

I'm never going to see this movie.

Krisken

Krisken

We know.

:facepalm:

is warring with

:rofl:

but I'm hoping for

:tumbleweed:

Denbrought

Denbrought

Lolwhat, yet another transformers thread?

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

The other one was closed for length. Much worse threads have gotten sequels (and worse movies! look at Transformers 1 :toocool: )

Gusto

Gusto

I love you Charlie, so much.

The title I was gonna use for the re-thread was "Transformers 2: Thread 2: Revenge of the Locked".

Edrondol said:

is warring with

but I'm hoping for

I was leaning towards "shut the fuck up," myself.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Charlie Dont Surf said:
The other one was closed for length. Much worse threads have gotten sequels (and worse movies! look at Transformers 1 :toocool: )
No seriously.

He's snorting the coke off a dead whore because you killed the whore. With a stick. Which you had used previously to beat a dead horse. Which you had killed, too.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

ZenMonkey said:
Edrondol said:

is warring with

but I'm hoping for

I was leaning towards "shut the fuck up," myself.
:( we're still having discussion without being outright mean to people. At least I'm trying to. And there's still the possibility that I become a hypocrite and see the movie out of morbid curiosity and self-loathing. I have a $10 movie gift card that's to a line of theaters I don't particularly like/go to often.

You know, I really wish Charlie would stop gushing about how much he loves the movie. The unending positive bias is starting to ruin the snarky bitterness of the forum, to say nothing of his reputation.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I don't care that you made a new thread, honestly. I just think, young Charles, that you're making an awful lot of decisions about a movie you have not even seen.

Sure, you have the first one to go on; that a sequel was made for a movie so stinky does not exactly bode well. But still. You seem like the type who would subject himself to pain and misery for the sake of making a sound decision.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

He's making the right one.

Steven Soderburgin

Cajungal said:
I don't care that you made a new thread, honestly. I just think, young Charles, that you're making an awful lot of decisions about a movie you have not even seen.

Sure, you have the first one to go on; that a sequel was made for a movie so stinky does not exactly bode well. But still. You seem like the type who would subject himself to pain and misery for the sake of making a sound decision.
He is not just basing it off his opinion of the first film. Like myself, he's also taking into account the overwhelmingly negative critical reception, as well as testimonies from friends who saw the movie and hated it.

Calleja

Calleja

We get it Charlie, you have a huge hard-on for mBay, we don't need to see the angst that comes with it spewed all over the boards, dude.

Steve

Steve

In other news did you all hear Michael Jackson died?

Shia mentioned they are in the beginning stages of a new Indiana Jones film. Spielberg loves this kid so expect to see lots more of Shia.

Krisken

Krisken

Kissinger said:
Cajungal said:

He is not just basing it off his opinion of the first film. Like myself, he's also taking into account the overwhelmingly negative critical reception, as well as testimonies from friends who saw the movie and hated it.
Isn't that how Catholicism started?

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Cajungal said:
You seem like the type who would subject himself to pain and misery for the sake of making a sound decision.
I have talked to a few close friends that saw the movie, read a lot of very indepth reviews and such. I mean. I kind of feel like seeing it on a small screen wouldn't do it "justice". And I've seen Epic/Date/Disaster Movie. The Happening. I mean. How much worse could this be than that? Oh god. I'm talking myself into it

Anyways, I'm a huge box office nerd and this is a huge movie so I'm honestly interested in how much it drops off, if word of mouth does anything to it next weekend, how much of a bite Public Enemies and Ice Age will take out of it, etc etc. There also is a lot more reception/blogs to be written about it that could be really funny/entertaining and offer different perspectives.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Kissinger said:
Cajungal said:

I didn't say that that's where he got his current decision. I was just making the point that it's a possible way of reaching that decision. I just think it's best to make up your own mind rather than taking anyone's word--even the word of people who have similar tastes to you--because you just never know.

Plus, as fun as the last thread was :p it'd be fun to hear what you both think AFTER being able to form your own opinion based on what you guys saw, not what others saw. Chickens, buck buck buck

Calleja

Calleja

YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN THE FUCKING MOVIE!?!?!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

HEY, if you wanted us to go see it, you could have donated some bucks to the cause :grrr:

Steven Soderburgin

Cajungal said:
I didn't say that that's where he got his current decision. I was just making the point that it's a possible way of reaching that decision. I just think it's best to make up your own mind rather than taking anyone's word--even the word of people who have similar tastes to you--because you just never know.

Plus, as fun as the last thread was :p it'd be fun to hear what you both think AFTER being able to form your own opinion based on what you guys saw, not what others saw. Chickens, buck buck buck
Well you see

Steve

Steve

Charlie Dont Surf said:
HEY, if you wanted us to go see it, you could have donated some bucks to the cause :grrr:
Charlie, the movie is pretty bad but you have built it up to be the largest pile of stink since Carrot Top's sex video and when you finally see it it won't live up to your awful expectations and you'll love the movie.

Steven Soderburgin

Steve said:
Charlie, the movie is pretty bad but you have built it up to be the largest pile of stink since Carrot Top's sex video and when you finally see it it won't live up to your awful expectations and you'll love the movie.
This is assuming that the way Charlie enjoys movies is based purely on what he expects of them and not on their actual merit.

Calleja

Calleja

I don't give a shit if you see it or not, dude, but how can you be spewing so much vitriol over something you haven't even experienced? Seriously.

What if you... I don't know... GASP... enjoy it???

I know, not gonna happen, but the possibility exists enough that all the arguments so far you've used against Transformers are as fucking valid as walking up to a friend of a friend you heard somewhere was an asshole and SCREAMING IN HIS FACE YOU HATE THE MOTHERFUCKER AND ASSHOLES LIKE HIM ARE GONNA CAUSE THE DOWNFALL OF SOCIETY!

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Steve said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
I dunno, I tried to do the same thing. Go into expecting it be beyond awful so maybe I could glimmer a tiny bit of joy out of it. It didn't work, it was worse than I could have ever imagined.

Jay

Jay

Whatever it is that's eating you, it must be suffering horribly.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
:( we're still having discussion without being outright mean to people. At least I'm trying to.
Well, the last thread went so swimmingly, including reports we had to deal with, so I'm just very excited about this one.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Whoa, calm down calleja. I don't really have much vitriol? I mean, if I've made a post all cussing up a storm and calling Bay the worst motherfucker in the world and a goat-raping anushound from Planet Shit-on-my-mom's-face, please link it. I'm just trying to spread the wide word of intelligent people that saw the movie and were heavily disappointed and sad they wasted their time/money.

I do feel a little uncomfortable condemning a movie without seeing it at all, but then again, I have not tasted many species of bird shit to confirm that it's not a delicacy either.

-- Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:47 pm --

ZenMonkey said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
:( we're still having discussion without being outright mean to people. At least I'm trying to.
Well, the last thread went so swimmingly, including reports we had to deal with, so I'm just very excited about this one.
Well I didn't mean to start a bunch of personal fights, if any of my posts got reported for good reason, just let me know to tone it down.

Steven Soderburgin

Calleja said:
I don't give a shit if you see it or not, dude, but how can you be spewing so much vitriol over something you haven't even experienced? Seriously.

What if you... I don't know... GASP... enjoy it???

I know, not gonna happen, but the possibility exists enough that all the arguments so far you've used against Transformers are as fucking valid as walking up to a friend of a friend you heard somewhere was an asshole and SCREAMING IN HIS FACE YOU HATE THE MOTHERFUCKER AND ASSHOLES LIKE HIM ARE GONNA CAUSE THE DOWNFALL OF SOCIETY!
Did Charlie make those arguments? I don't remember. I know I didn't, nor did I give them much credence. I mean, people I respect have described the movie as a cultural and aesthetic travesty and said that it promotes cinematic illiteracy, but saying that it's going to cause the downfall of society is a bit much.

Calleja

Calleja

True, so you CAN'T say those many species of bird shit (funny, I didn't know poop had species) AREN'T a delicacy, just as you CAN'T say Transformers 2 is a bad movie.

Also, it's called hyperbole... you pair of trolling dolts.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Come on, Calleja, they're not saying anything inflammatory here. You're the one flipping out. There's no call for that. If you don't want to talk about the movie, then find another thread.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I haven't really been trolling in this thread, I'm sorry you think I'm a dolt :(

Steven Soderburgin

Calleja, the point was that he doesn't need to taste bird shit to know it's not something he wants to eat.

Calleja

Calleja

Cajungal said:
Come on, Calleja, they're not saying anything inflammatory here. You're the one flipping out. There's no call for that. If you don't want to talk about the movie, then find another thread.
I'm not saying anything inflammatory either! I'm just going from the 20 pages of spewing shit against something they haven't seen. Where was *I* inflammatory?

Unless you mean the hypothetical friend of a friend character I created for hyperbole purposes. Then yeah.. sorry, that guy got flamed for no reason. I do apologize to him.

Krisken

Krisken

ZenMonkey said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
I thought about making a report at one point, but thought better of it and just put the person on ignore. What can i say, I thought it was a better plan ;)

Steven Soderburgin

Calleja said:
I'm not saying anything inflammatory either! I'm just going from the 20 pages of spewing shit against something they haven't seen. Where was *I* inflammatory?

Unless you mean the hypothetical friend of a friend character I created for hyperbole purposes. Then yeah.. sorry, that guy got flamed for no reason. I do apologize to him.
Many (most?) of the people "spewing shit" in that thread had actually seen the movie.

Krisken

Krisken

Kissinger said:
Calleja said:
I'm not saying anything inflammatory either! I'm just going from the 20 pages of spewing poop against something they haven't seen. Where was *I* inflammatory?

Many (most?) of the people "spewing poop" in that thread had actually seen the movie.
I'm going with "post proof or retract" on this one.

Cajungal

Cajungal

:rofl: Well that's nice of you to say sorry to the imaginary person, Calleja, thanks.

I'm not trying to attack you... you just seem to be kiiind of flipping out when it doesn't seem like they're trolling dolts at all. I don't agree with making your opinion when you haven't seen the movie either, but, ya know... breathe.

Calleja

Calleja

I think you should know by now that I freely use all caps for.. I dunno.. comedic purposes? At least to me... I falsely exclaim in real life all the time too. Doesn't mean I'm actually screaming and pissed.

When I'm pissed off or flipping out I'm not gonna use caps, I swear. I get pissed in a more properly punctuated way.

I'm actually in quite a good mood right now. Think of my antics as... juski-esque, if you will.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I KNOW A JUSKI WHEN I SEE ONE, AND YOU, MY FRIEND, ARE NO JUSKI

Bowielee

Bowielee

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Whoa, calm down calleja. I don't really have much vitriol? I mean, if I've made a post all cussing up a storm and calling Bay the worst mothersmurfer in the world and a goat-raping anushound from Planet poop-on-my-mom's-face, please link it. I'm just trying to spread the wide word of intelligent people that saw the movie and were heavily disappointed and sad they wasted their time/money.
Right there in bold. THAT is what's pissing me off. I'm sick to death of the inferrence that anyone who enjoyed the movie is stupid.

I'm an increadibly well read individual and enjoy all levels of cinema. Simply because I enjoyed the movie does not make me a moron.

I'd bet even money that is the problem that most other people are having with you guys.

Steven Soderburgin

Krisken said:
I know Shannow at the very least saw it. Not sure of who else. Maybe Shego?

Krisken

Krisken

Bowielee said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Whoa, calm down calleja. I don't really have much vitriol? I mean, if I've made a post all cussing up a storm and calling Bay the worst mothersmurfer in the world and a goat-raping anushound from Planet poop-on-my-mom's-face, please link it. I'm just trying to spread the wide word of intelligent people that saw the movie and were heavily disappointed and sad they wasted their time/money.
Right there in bold. THAT is what's * me off. I'm sick to death of the inferrence that anyone who enjoyed the movie is stupid.

I'm an increadibly well read individual and enjoy all levels of cinema. Simply because I enjoyed the movie does not make me a moron.

I'd bet even money that is the problem that most other people are having with you guys.
+1

Denbrought

Denbrought

Allen said:
AM I A JUSKI THEN? :Leyla:

rotisserie chicken parties bla bla awesome bla bla YEAAAAH

Krisken

Krisken

Kissinger said:
Krisken said:
I know Shannow at the very least saw it. Not sure of who else. Maybe Shego?
Ok, that's one, maybe 2. When that makes "most", let me know, k?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Calleja said:
I think you should know by now that I freely use all caps for.. I dunno.. comedic purposes? At least to me... I falsely exclaim in real life all the time too. Doesn't mean I'm actually screaming and pissed.

When I'm pissed off or flipping out I'm not gonna use caps, I swear. I get pissed in a more properly punctuated way.

I'm actually in quite a good mood right now. Think of my antics as... juski-esque, if you will.
My bad. It's hard to determine tone this way. Retracted, you funny guy, you. :)

Bowielee said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Right there in bold. THAT is what's pissing me off. I'm sick to death of the inferrence that anyone who enjoyed the movie is stupid.

I like movies like "Reign of Fire" and that's not a good movie. And I'm no dummy either.

Yes, I did that on purpose.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Denbrought said:
Allen said:

no

Krisken

Krisken

Edrondol said:
I like movies like "Reign of Fire" and that's not a good movie. And I'm no dummy either.

Yes, I did that on purpose.
Figured you did. I wanted to find a picture of Charles Dumar from Better off Dead, but couldn't get a good one for you.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Allen said:
Denbrought said:
[quote="Allen, who is Quiet":24jkwalz]I KNOW A JUSKI WHEN I SEE ONE, AND YOU, MY FRIEND, ARE NO JUSKI

no[/quote:24jkwalz]
bummer

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Denbrought said:
Allen said:
Denbrought said:
[quote="Allen, who is Quiet":3a3a9l12]I KNOW A JUSKI WHEN I SEE ONE, AND YOU, MY FRIEND, ARE NO JUSKI

no
bummer[/quote:3a3a9l12]
i guess

Cog

Cog

The question is: If someone does not like a "good movie" is also stupid?

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I'm talking about the movie critics and movie bloggers as "intelligent" people in that quote. Roger Ebert is definitely an intelligent person, I doubt anyone would really argue that point. I didn't mean to imply you're stupid if you didn't agree with him, but just showing that the criticism for the movie isn't coming from impotent nerds whining about it raping their childhood.

Steven Soderburgin

Charlie Dont Surf said:
I'm talking about the movie critics and movie bloggers as "intelligent" people in that quote. Roger Ebert is definitely an intelligent person, I doubt anyone would really argue that point. I didn't mean to imply you're stupid if you didn't agree with him, but just showing that the criticism for the movie isn't coming from impotent nerds whining about it raping their childhood.
Yeah, I was going to say that by "intelligent people" you probably meant "insightful and lucid people with the experience and perspective to know what they are talking about when it comes to film"

Espy

Espy

Many in the last thread saw it. If you think you have been arguing against people who didn't see it then you didn't read the thread very closely.

And by the way, someone can say "I heard from these 'intelligent' folks that blahblahblah" without it meaning anyone who has a different view is not intelligent. :Leyla:

Krisken

Krisken

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Wanna do me a favor and not make me search through and find which post you are referring to on each page? Is that 9 pages and 9 different people? Are they the most vocal or did they say their piece and move on, without calling those who enjoyed it stupid?

Jay

Jay

Do you honestly believe a 60+ year old man would really appreciate a popcorn blockbuster movie? He's seen this happen over and over the last 3 decades. This isn't news to him. He'll automatically think it'll be crap. Most of the established critics will be the same.

Sometimes, people don't really give two pieces of monkey crap and will go see a movie that'll entertain them and distract them from the real world. Get over it.

PS : Transformers 3 has been announced. Enjoy your torment some more.

Steven Soderburgin

SeriousJay said:
Do you honestly believe a 60+ year old man would really appreciate a popcorn blockbuster movie?
Yes

You don't follow film criticism very much, do you?

Krisken

Krisken

Kissinger said:
SeriousJay said:
Do you honestly believe a 60+ year old man would really appreciate a popcorn blockbuster movie?
Yes

I don't so much. I form my own opinion.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Krisken said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Wanna do me a favor and not make me search through and find which post you are referring to on each page? Is that 9 pages and 9 different people? Are they the most vocal or did they say their piece and move on, without calling those who enjoyed it stupid?
If you wait for the page to finish loading, the anchor (that #pXXXXXX) will move you down to the correct post. Just don't scroll around until it does.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Bowielee said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Right there in bold. THAT is what's * me off. I'm sick to death of the inferrence that anyone who enjoyed the movie is stupid.

:thumbsup:

Krisken

Krisken

Denbrought said:
If you wait for the page to finish loading, the anchor (that #pXXXXXX) will move you down to the correct post. Just don't scroll around until it does.
Thanks Denbrought. For a bit there I thought I was given GB links!

Steven Soderburgin

Krisken said:
I don't so much. I form my own opinion.
You say that as if it is a mark of pride, but I'm not so sure it should be. Let me tell you that I read many, many reviews of many, many movies, and I also form my own opinions, independent of those reviews. However, reading reviews written by insightful and intelligent critics can and has helped teach me about film, about craft. It's revealed things I had not previously considered, and has made me better able to appreciate film. I can say in all honesty that watching Siskel and Ebert when I was younger helped shape me as a person, made me rethink how I view art and culture, and helped develop my appreciation for film, which is vast, deep, and passionate.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I hope to Higher Power I can stay out of this one this time.

I'll just say this... looking at the chart I posted towards the end of the other thread, this film is not one that will resonate with the public over time, and will be mostly forgotten by the end of popcorn season.

other than that... (insert pic of Grandpa Simson walking in and immediately walking out because I'm to lazy to go looking for it myself)

Jay

Jay

Kissinger said:
He also gave Mystic River 4 stars and after watching grown men cry for 3 hours and wanting to staple my dick to the side of a burning barn due to the sheer boredom I endured, that would be.... a fair assessment.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 60301/1023

yeah he hates action movies. I could get more examples but you don't really care about facts as much as raging against anything that could remotely resemble intelligence

Jay

Jay

Charlie Dont Surf said:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070816/REVIEWS/708160301/1023

yeah he hates action movies. I could get more examples but you don't really care about facts as much as raging against anything that could remotely resemble intelligence
There's you go again.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

SeriousJay said:
Kissinger said:
He also gave Mystic River 4 stars and after watching grown men cry for 3 hours and wanting to staple my dick to the side of a burning barn due to the sheer boredom I endured, that would be.... a fair assessment.
It's just over two hours long? I mean, I guess it felt longer since there weren't too many flashing lights and loud noises to distract you.

Cog

Cog

Charlie Dont Surf said:
It's just over two hours long? I mean, I guess it felt longer since there weren't too many flashing lights and loud noises to distract you.
And again.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

SeriousJay - I'm not talking about everyone that likes Transformers here. I'm just talking about you. You have a pretty definitive track record of hating "smart" films and liking "dumb" films. No one's gonna argue that Michael Bay has ever made an intelligent movie. Everyone that likes a Michael Bay movie isn't an idiot. I love The Rock and Bad Boys.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm going to lay this out as simply as possible. I'm all for you guys having a negative opinion of the movie. That's certainly your right.

What is aggrivating a large majority of us is the air of superiority with which you are stating your case.

That, and, as I said before, calling those of us who enjoyed the movie morons.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, Charlie, went through your links.

Link 1- Roger Ebert- This has been established and has no bearing on our discussion. He's a critic and doesn't count as someone who went to see it because he wanted to see it, but it's his job to see it.

Link 2- IchigoX- Said it wasn't worth seeing in theater, but if you want explosions to rent it when it comes out on DVD

Link 3- No idea. It's Espy quoting a critic. If it's meant to show Espy not liking it after seeing it, I'll take it.

Link 4- Another one by Espy quoting something. Nothing new.

Link 5- Another review quote

Link 6- Juski quoting Gusto

Link 7- Kissinger quoting Ebert

Link 8- Shannow- This one is valid.

Link 9- Far- This one is also valid.

So of 9 links, you have three that went to see the movie and didn't enjoy their time despite the many flaws.

Three still does not equal most.

Steven Soderburgin

I don't THINK I called anyone a moron, but I do think that this divide between critical response and box office success (a phenomenon of which Transformers 2 represents the most significant example) is indicative of anti-intellectualism, a trend that has been evident in both the political and cultural aspects of society.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I'm saying his taste skews towards movies that wouldn't be confused with intelligent movies. That isn't the same thing as saying he is not intelligent at all. Last time I checked, buying 2001 A Space Odyssey doesn't come with a MENSA card.

Espy

Espy

Bowielee said:
What is aggrivating a large majority of us is the air of superiority with which you are stating your case.
Seriously? People are whining about it out of one side of their mouth and doing it out of the other side at the same time.

I don't care if who likes it and doesn't, but if you come in here and start slinging mud then get pissed when someone slings back grow up. I'm saying that as a mod, I don't want anymore reports about people being mean in here.

Jay

Jay

Let's be honest, there's a few of you that hold your opinion so highly above others, that you'll freely berate people choice of taste simply because it doesn't match your own. You know who you are. We have seen this in multiple threads, not only the Transformers thread. Remember the Boondock Saints thread? There have been others. It may be intended or completely accidental but you'll consistently place little comments here and there to berate others. Instead of being civil and being able to constructively criticize you'll find ways to insult people. You can pretend all you want that you don't intend it to be that way but when you're going out of your way stating, "let me know if I'm out of line", odds are, you're going to go out of line, again and again and again. Most of the mods here are too chicken shit to put people in check, so this problem will always persist in every movie discussion.

Darn shame though, movies are a huge passion of mine and I can't discuss it here without feeling a huge amount of resentment to an alarming amount of people.

Steven Soderburgin

Krisken said:
Roger Ebert- This has been established and has no bearing on our discussion. He's a critic and doesn't count as someone who went to see it because he wanted to see it, but it's his job to see it.
What?

Are you serious?

His point of view doesn't apply because it's his chosen profession to review movies?

When was this established, anyway?

Espy

Espy

Krisken, I made several posts after I saw the movie detailing my views of the movie. Here's my main one:

Espy said:
Just got back from it.

Quite possibly the worst over 20 million dollar budget movie I have ever seen.

I wasn't expecting high-film. I expected some sort of continuity. I expected a basic amount of plot. I expected no mixture of day/evening shots in the same scene.
No one cared who made this movie.
No one gave a damn.
It was made for the lowest common denominator. It was made for people who seriously just want to laugh at robots who acted "black" and dogs who had humped.
Honestly, I expected it to be bad. I did. It was beyond bad. It made Wolverine look like Shakespeare.
I am concerned that so many kids sat in the audience, learned that it's cool to call others "pussies", and "bitches", but I was even more dismayed that no one was bothered by it. That is was just all "good family fun". That bothers me more than the sloppy, careless filmmaking.
Personally, I think it just represented what our society wants. Which, in my humble opinion, is a constant stream of poop that allows for the least amount of brain activity.

For the record, I know many of you won't agree, and I know there is a raging battle between groups here. I don't think you are stupid if you liked it, I don't think you are an idiot. I think you are just a regular person. Most people will like this film.
So, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
We can just agree to disagree an move on.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Espy said:
Bowielee said:
I
Seriously? People are whining about it out of one side of their mouth and doing it out of the other side at the same time.

I don't care if who likes it and doesn't, but if you come in here and start slinging mud then get * when someone slings back grow up. I'm saying that as a mod, I don't want anymore reports about people being mean in here.
I haven't reported jack shit.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Krisken said:
So of 9 links, you have three that went to see the movie and didn't enjoy their time despite the many flaws.
Critics absolutely count? They're people that SAW the movie and didn't like it. They don't get paid to hate movies, they get paid to review them honestly, and for the most part they do.

And the Juski one counts double, since he's echoing what Gusto said after seeing the movie.

Krisken

Krisken

Espy said:
Krisken, I made several posts after I saw the movie detailing my views of the movie. Here's my main one:

Espy said:
Just got back from it.

Quite possibly the worst over 20 million dollar budget movie I have ever seen.

I wasn't expecting high-film. I expected some sort of continuity. I expected a basic amount of plot. I expected no mixture of day/evening shots in the same scene.
No one cared who made this movie.
No one gave a damn.
It was made for the lowest common denominator. It was made for people who seriously just want to laugh at robots who acted "black" and dogs who had humped.
Honestly, I expected it to be bad. I did. It was beyond bad. It made Wolverine look like Shakespeare.
I am concerned that so many kids sat in the audience, learned that it's cool to call others "pussies", and "bitches", but I was even more dismayed that no one was bothered by it. That is was just all "good family fun". That bothers me more than the sloppy, careless filmmaking.
Personally, I think it just represented what our society wants. Which, in my humble opinion, is a constant stream of poop that allows for the least amount of brain activity.

For the record, I know many of you won't agree, and I know there is a raging battle between groups here. I don't think you are stupid if you liked it, I don't think you are an idiot. I think you are just a regular person. Most people will like this film.
So, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
We can just agree to disagree an move on.
That's why I said three and not 2. IchigoX didn't see it, her husband did.

Espy

Espy

Bowielee said:
Espy said:
Bowielee said:
I

I don't care if who likes it and doesn't, but if you come in here and start slinging mud then get * when someone slings back grow up. I'm saying that as a mod, I don't want anymore reports about people being mean in here.
I haven't reported jack poop.
I know you haven't. Notice the "general" tone of my post. It's for everyone. You just gave me the jumping off point.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Am I just not reading enough Halforum, or does it seem like there was some sort of weird partnership that started when RotF came out? :bush:

Jay

Jay

Charlie Dont Surf said:
SeriousJay - I'm not talking about everyone that likes Transformers here. I'm just talking about you. You have a pretty definitive track record of hating "smart" films and liking "dumb" films. No one's gonna argue that Michael Bay has ever made an intelligent movie. Everyone that likes a Michael Bay movie isn't an idiot. I love The Rock and Bad Boys.
And again.

I like many times of movies and always go out of my way to watch different genres, I feel that I'm a movie connoisseur but I dislike boring movies that drag too long.

My top 5 movies of all time are :

- Gladiator
- The Last Samurai
- A Beautiful Mind
- Cinderella Man
- The Princess Bride

MindDetective

MindDetective

SeriousJay said:
Darn shame though, movies are a huge passion of mine and I can't discuss it here without feeling a huge amount of resentment to an alarming amount of people.
To be honest, I get the impression that watching movies is a big passion of yours but that discussing them is not.

Calleja

Calleja

Krisken, SeriousJay.. these guys are bored cause they didn't get paid to go see a movie. They want another 20+ page thread to canoodle in. Let them, it's not as if it's worse than a "Say Something About the Poster Above You" thread. There's no point trying to get them to admit they're holier-than-thou intellectual wannabes, they never will. To them their taste is superior, their opinion more valid and if you disagree you need to be shown exactly how much more BETTER than you they are. It's running around in circles.

Of course, if people stop trying to drag Charlie and Kissinger off their high horse they're gonna get bored again. So.. thank you for keeping them in here, I guess.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Bumble the Boy Wonder said:

Am I just not reading enough Halforum, or does it seem like there was some sort of weird partnership that started when RotF came out? :bush:
From what I gather reading shit here, they know each other.

Krisken

Krisken

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Krisken said:
Critics absolutely count? They're people that SAW the movie and didn't like it. They don't get paid to hate movies, they get paid to review them honestly, and for the most part they do.

And the Juski one counts double, since he's echoing what Gusto said after seeing the movie.
I'll give you Gusto. Did Juski see it?

Denbrought

Denbrought

Bumble the Boy Wonder said:
Why haven't be elevated Bumble to the official pantheon under the spheres of fun and awesome, again? :rofl:

Espy

Espy

Calleja said:
Of course, if people stop trying to drag Charlie and Kissinger off their high horse they're gonna get bored again. So.. thank you for keeping them in here, I guess.
Well, the horse they keep beating keeps getting up and biting back every 30 seconds so... Seriously, if you want them to "stop" stop discussing it. Otherwise you are just pressing the gas on the thread of doom. :uhhuh:

Jay

Jay

Calleja said:
Krisken, SeriousJay.. these guys are bored cause they didn't get paid to go see a movie. They want another 20+ page thread to canoodle in. Let them, it's not as if it's worse than a "Say Something About the Poster Above You" thread. There's no point trying to get them to admit they're holier-than-thou intellectual wannabes, they never will. To them their taste is superior, their opinion more valid and if you disagree you need to be shown exactly how much more BETTER than you they are. It's running around in circles.

I appreciate your post. :thumbsup:

MindDetective said:
SeriousJay said:
To be honest, I get the impression that watching movies is a big passion of yours but that discussing them is not.
Elaborate?

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Krisken said:
Did Juski see it?
Yeah, I have an AIM log chock full of anguish too.

Also, Kissinger and I are roommates. I didn't say anything about it way early on since ya'll would(rightfully so) assume we were the same person.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Here is the crux. Ebert is a smart person, I would never take that away from him. I have been at odds with his opinions on more then one occasion, like his insistence that a video game will never rise to the podium of artform like movies have (Braid would like to have a word with you, Mr. Ebert).

The issue here is that he is a "critic", his entire basis for watching movies is to break them down with a critical eye while giving his own opinion on the content. He has perfected this to a razors edge, but as a human he can never stay impartial. He is never going to be more then just another guy that saw and liked, or disliked, a movie, for reasons that are pretty much his own. I respect his opinion, but I don't take his opinion of the movie as gospel truth, more so since I have seen it. I have disagreed many time with him on various movies that I loved, but he hated.

Also, Kissinger, I tried to refrain mentioning this, but I am a huge fan of movies. I went to film school and got a degree, worked as a gaffer in LA for a short time, and still animate even after moving to Texas. I love older movies made by Orson Welles, or Alfred Hitchcock, even some of the stuff done by Victor Fleming.

I still enjoyed Transformers 2, because I don't watch movies as a critic, I go in and put myself in the mindset of the audience. I think that in the end might be the reason I like it more then most here, I went in to be a person just there to enjoy a movie, and I did. When I want to watch something more high on the narrative scale, I normally rent it for the more personal home experience. That is just my way.

Jay

Jay

That makes sense now.

Krisken

Krisken

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Krisken said:
Did Juski see it?
Yeah, I have an AIM log chock full of anguish too.

Also, Kissinger and I are roommates. I didn't say anything about it way early on since ya'll would(rightfully so) assume we were the same person.
Or were backing each other because you didn't want to break up over it.

Edit to add: That's meant as a comedic jab, not a serious cut down.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I just wanna say that I find that most people hold at least one thing in their lives up to extremely high almost obnoxious standards. We just happen to be discussing film and not something else, so the two people who are highly interested in what makes a film technically good--and what professional/people who know movies are saying about film--are coming off as snobs.

Espy

Espy

Cajungal said:
I just wanna say that I find that most people hold at least one thing in their lives up to extremely high almost obnoxious standards. We just happen to be discussing film and not something else, so the two people who are highly interested in what makes a film technically good--and what professional/people who know movies are saying about film--are coming off as snobs.
Great post. You win something.

Calleja

Calleja

Espy said:
Calleja said:
Well, the horse they keep beating keeps getting up and biting back every 30 seconds so... Seriously, if you want them to "stop" stop discussing it. Otherwise you are just pressing the gas on the thread of doom. :uhhuh:
Oh, I don't plan in talking about the movie itself whatsoever with these guys. I'm not gonna fuel THAT fire. I was just trying to get Krisken and SeriousJay to stop getting offended or worked up about Charlie and Kissinger calling them morons. It's what they do, they're not gonna stop doing it, better to just roll your eyes and keep posting pictures of Bruce.

Unless you're keeping them distracted from the rest of the forum, like these two threads have done to some extent. In that case, I salute you, you awesome martyr!

Steven Soderburgin

ScytheRexx said:
Here is the crux. Ebert is a smart person, I would never take that away from him. I have been at odds with his opinions on more then one occasion, like his insistence that a video game will never rise to the podium of artform like movies have (Braid would like to have a word with you, Mr. Ebert).

The issue here is that he is a "critic", his entire basis for watching movies is to break them down with a critical eye while giving his own opinion on the content. He has perfected this to a razors edge, but as a human he can never stay impartial. He is never going to be more then just another guy that saw and liked, or disliked, a movie, for reasons that are pretty much his own. I respect his opinion, but I don't take his opinion of the movie as gospel truth, more so since I have seen it. I have disagreed many time with him on various movies that I loved, but he hated.

Also, Kissinger, I tried to refrain mentioning this, but I am a huge fan of movies. I went to film school and got a degree, worked as a gaffer in LA for a short time, and still animate even after moving to Texas. I love older movies made by Orson Welles, or Alfred Hitchcock, even some of the stuff done by Victor Fleming.

I still enjoyed Transformers 2, because I don't watch movies as a critic, I go in and put myself in the mindset of the audience. I think that in the end might be the reason I like it more then most here, I went in to be a person just there to enjoy a movie, and I did. When I want to watch something more high on the narrative scale, I normally rent it for the more personal home experience. That is just my way.
Just posting this as a reminder to myself to respond to this post later. I want to respond to it, but don't have the time to write a decent response right now. Everyone else can ignore this post. Pretend that it isn't here. I'll delete it when I have the time to write up a full response to you, ScytheRexx.

-- Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:55 pm --

Calleja said:
Oh, I don't plan in talking about the movie itself whatsoever with these guys. I'm not gonna fuel THAT fire. I was just trying to get Krisken and SeriousJay to stop getting offended or worked up about Charlie and Kissinger calling them morons. It's what they do, they're not gonna stop doing it, better to just roll your eyes and keep posting pictures of Bruce.

Unless you're keeping them distracted from the rest of the forum, like these two threads have done to some extent. In that case, I salute you, you awesome martyr!
I don't think I was calling anyone a moron, FWIW

Krisken

Krisken

Cajungal said:
Which is great. I have high standards in what I like for music. When I was younger, friends called me a music Nazi (crap, Godwin the thread why don't 'cha). Sometimes though we need to realize that while we have different opinions, and that's ok.

Not really offended Calleja. If it bothered me that much, I'd put them on ignore. I'm not really worked up, though it may seem like it.

Charlie- Continuously saying "Intelligent people say it's dumb" comes across as saying "so you are dumb for liking it". I have a feeling you know that though.

MindDetective

MindDetective

SeriousJay said:
Elaborate?
On what? Watching movies is a passive experience of the art form. Discussing them involves highlighting aspects of the art form that were done well or poorly, such as characterization, the caliber of acting, direction and cinematography, and special effects. This is different from quoting lines from the movie to laugh at again or pointing out which part of the movie was sad or exciting. You can enjoy movies for the experience or you can enjoy them for the artistic merits but rarely both at the same time.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I admit I indirectly called SeriousJay a moron, and I apologize for that.

Steven Soderburgin

MindDetective said:
You can enjoy movies for the experience or you can enjoy them for the artistic merits but rarely both at the same time.
I would like to respectfully disagree with this particular point, although I mostly agree with the rest of your post.

Jay

Jay

MindDetective said:
SeriousJay said:
Elaborate?
On what? Watching movies is a passive experience of the art form. Discussing them involves highlighting aspects of the art form that were done well or poorly, such as characterization, the caliber of acting, direction and cinematography, and special effects. This is different from quoting lines from the movie to laugh at again or pointing out which part of the movie was sad or exciting. You can enjoy movies for the experience or you can enjoy them for the artistic merits but rarely both at the same time.
Oh yes, I completely agree with you. :)

Bowielee

Bowielee

Kissinger, you realize that The Critic was just as much a criticizm of critics themselves as it was of the movies, right?

Jay Sherman thought ALL movies sucked because he could never make it as a film maker himself.

Which makes your avatar a little funny for this subject.

Espy

Espy

For the record, since we are stating our credentials, I graduated with a degree in Visual Effects (thats the guys who make the Transformers and then composite them into the film). I have worked in Television and did several years of DVD production as well as directed and wrote several short films.
From a VFX perspective, the film was great. Flawless. In fact, it was to much. Thats part of my dislike of the VFX for these movies. VFX should add to the story, it SERVES the story, here in TF2, it WAS the story. That's bad filmmaking. It doesn't mean you won't enjoy the movie, but it's not a *good* thing.

Oh regarding critics? Bowie makes a great point. If a critic has never made a film/tv/whatever I take them less seriously. Ebert has.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Kissinger said:
MindDetective said:
You can enjoy movies for the experience or you can enjoy them for the artistic merits but rarely both at the same time.
I would like to respectfully disagree with this particular point, although I mostly agree with the rest of your post.
My reason for saying that is that when you are treating the film as an experience, you are no longer examining its parts. You might analyze it on reflection, but that is prone to all the foibles of our memory.

Krisken

Krisken

Well, that was all fun. Who wants ice cream?

Denbrought

Denbrought

Krisken said:
One vanilla scoop please :3

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I have absolutely no credentials other than watching a fuckton of movies. I like to think the sheer volume and range lets me appreciate good movies more and hate bad movies more. I have almost a dozen failed screenplay projects in various stages of not-finished.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Shhh, it's ice cream time.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Cajungal said:
NOT ENOUGH SCREAMING FOR IT TO BE ICE CREAM TIME

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Krisken said:
Chocolate imo

Cajungal

Cajungal

It's allen, who has done a 180 volume-wise.

Krisken

Krisken

I could kill a banana split right now.

Calleja

Calleja

Allen said:
Cajungal said:
HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT ALL CAPS DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN SCREAMING, YOU NOT-SO-SILENT FUCK!?

Espy

Espy

That ice cream better have some damn plot or I am gonna be pissed. :grrr:

wana10

Denbrought said:
vanilla?! live a little den, try something exciting...

french vanilla please :p

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

Is there any strawberry sundae's?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Espy said:
That ice cream better have some damn plot or I am gonna be pissed. :grrr:
No, but there's two chocolate sprinkles that swear a lot and one of them has little gold flecks.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Calleja, you have such a hard on for hating Charlie and Kissinger...it gives me such a good chuckle.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

What are you guys talking about? We need some Mint Chocolate Chip in this place.

Calleja

Calleja

I never got the difference between "vanilla" and "french vanilla"... is there even supposed to be one? Apart from, presumably, the country of provenance?

Denbrought

Denbrought

wana10 said:
Denbrought said:
vanilla?! live a little den, try something exciting...

french vanilla please :p
Vanilla is one of the richest flavours there are, people just don't explore it T_T

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Calleja said:
Allen said:
Cajungal said:
HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT ALL CAPS DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN SCREAMING, YOU NOT-SO-SILENT FUCK!?
IT IS IN THE MIND OF THE READER WHETHER OR NOT THEY CHOOSE TO "HEAR" THIS TEXT AS SCREAMING OR JUST SEE IT AS TEXT THAT HAPPENS IN ALL-CAPS.

AND YOU HAVE NEVER TOLD ME ANYTHING ABOUT ALL-CAPS MEANING SCREAMING.

AND OF COURSE I'M NOT COMPLETELY SILENT. I AM JUST LOW ON THE VOLUME SCALE, BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN ABSOLUTE SILENCE. I'M JUST SILVER.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Calleja said:
I never got the difference between "vanilla" and "french vanilla"... is there even supposed to be one? Apart from, presumably, the country of provenance?
They taste different. IIRC french vanilla tastes far far too sweet, eesh.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Cajungal said:
reading words is actually a pretty quiet activity

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I swear to God I have a gif for everything.

Calleja

Calleja

I don't give a shit, if Allen gets to be silver I want to be fracking Platinum.

Krisken

Krisken

BlackCrossCrusader said:
Is there any strawberry sundae's?
There most certainly is. In fact, you could get a strawberry shortcake if you want.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

This sundae really fell apart in the second act :(

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Calleja said:
I AM REFERRING TO THE PHRASE "SILENCE IS GOLDEN"

Cajungal

Cajungal

Allen said:
Cajungal said:
reading words is actually a pretty quiet activity
allen, be quiet.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

you know, I am eating ice cream right now... mmmmmmmmmmm....

Calleja

Calleja

Allen said:
Calleja said:
I AM REFERRING TO THE PHRASE "SILENCE IS GOLDEN"
I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE, THEN.

IT WOULD HAVE WORKED BETTER IF YOU HAS USED "SILVERED", THOUGH.

Steven Soderburgin

Bowielee said:
Kissinger, you realize that The Critic was just as much a criticizm of critics themselves as it was of the movies, right?

Jay Sherman thought ALL movies sucked because he could never make it as a film maker himself.

Yeah, I realize that. The Critic was a satire of the movie industry, including critics. However, it was loving satire.

And you'll find that critics don't hate everything, truly love film, are extremely knowledgeable on the subject, and love discussing it and teaching it.

But yeah, my avatar is great. It's pretty appropriate for me, in a cheeky and self-deprecating sort of way.
MindDetective said:
My reason for saying that is that when you are treating the film as an experience, you are no longer examining its parts. You might analyze it on reflection, but that is prone to all the foibles of our memory.
Ah, okay, I see what you're saying. I still don't entirely agree, but part of the joy of the movie-going experience for me is analyzing a film. I don't really consider myself to be a passive audience member, nor do I think most people are, really. We're constantly thinking about what we're watching - whether it makes sense, trying to understand the characters, processing what each shot is telling us. I think being an active participant in a film contributes to the experience. Although I do get your point about reflection and memory, which is why critics (the good ones, at least) take notes when they watch a movie.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

And now I really want to watch Mystic River tonight.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Cajungal said:
allen, be quiet.
i am. typing is also a quiet activity

Calleja said:
IT WOULD HAVE WORKED BETTER IF YOU HAS USED "SILVERED", THOUGH
BUT GOLDEN IS AN ADJECTIVE AND SILVERED SOUNDS LIKE A VERB

Calleja

Calleja

"SILVERED" IS ALSO AN ADJECTIVE YOU AVIAN PAPARAZZI BUFFOON!

Krisken

Krisken

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Eat some ice cream too.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Foiled again, you cheeky penguin!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Calleja said:
v. sil·vered, sil·ver·ing, sil·vers
v.tr.
1. To cover, plate, or adorn with silver or a similar lustrous substance.
2. To give a silver color to.
3. To coat (photographic paper) with a film of silver nitrate or other silver salt.
v.intr.
To become silvery.

?

MindDetective

MindDetective

Kissinger said:
Bowielee said:

Yeah, I realize that. The Critic was a satire of the movie industry, including critics. However, it was loving satire.

And you'll find that critics don't hate everything, truly love film, are extremely knowledgeable on the subject, and love discussing it and teaching it.

But yeah, my avatar is great. It's pretty appropriate for me, in a cheeky and self-deprecating sort of way.
MindDetective said:
Ah, okay, I see what you're saying. I still don't entirely agree, but part of the joy of the movie-going experience for me is analyzing a film. I don't really consider myself to be a passive audience member, nor do I think most people are, really. We're constantly thinking about what we're watching - whether it makes sense, trying to understand the characters, processing what each shot is telling us. I think being an active participant in a film contributes to the experience. Although I do get your point about reflection and memory, which is why critics (the good ones, at least) take notes when they watch a movie.
Let's say an movie goer processes the film on a spectrum, ranging from an immersed, "empathetic" viewer to a studious, "detached" viewer. I'd contend that the empathetic viewers and the detached viewers have very different tastes in movies. I would say that I analyze films (particularly scripts) like you, and I'd place myself firmly on the side of the more detached viewer.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Cajungal said:
don't bring aluminum into this

Jay

Jay

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Don't forget the

Cajungal

Cajungal

Allen said:
Cajungal said:
It's already been brought, beeyotch.

Calleja

Calleja

Allen said:
Calleja said:
v. sil·vered, sil·ver·ing, sil·vers
v.tr.
1. To cover, plate, or adorn with silver or a similar lustrous substance.
2. To give a silver color to.
3. To coat (photographic paper) with a film of silver nitrate or other silver salt.
v.intr.
To become silvery.

?
No, no.. don't go all Charssinger on me:

sil?vered
??/?s?lv?rd/ [sil-verd]

–adjective
1. coated or plated with silver.
2. coated with a silverlike substance, as quicksilver or tinfoil: a mirror of silvered glass.
3. tinted a silver color, or having silver highlights: silvered hair.

-- less than a minute ago --

(btw, I'm taking both "avian paparazzi" and "charssinger" from this thread and into posterity.)

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Cajungal said:
Allen said:
Cajungal said:
oh. all right then. if you already brought it, it would be a waste to not use it.

Calleja said:
sil?vered
??/?s?lv?rd/ [sil-verd]

–adjective
1. coated or plated with silver.
2. coated with a silverlike substance, as quicksilver or tinfoil: a mirror of silvered glass.
3. tinted a silver color, or having silver highlights: silvered hair.
I guess I just got told.

oh snap

Steve

Steve

SeriousJay said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Don't forget the

It's a jerk off movie? Sweet.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

SeriousJay said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Don't forget the

Well, yeah, it's a pretty emotional and moving movie with a lot of highly dramatic twists and events. Thanks for reminding me.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Allen said:
Cajungal said:
[quote="Allen, who is Quiet":1tzsse69]
Cajungal said:
oh. all right then. if you already brought it, it would be a waste to not use it.[/quote:1tzsse69]

That's right. Now put your leftover sass in the fridge before it goes bad.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

inserted

5 PAGES?!? I wasn't gone that long!

Lock it up and BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!!

Denbrought

Denbrought

Edrondol said:
Yes you were, Ed, yes you were :waah:

Krisken

Krisken

Edrondol said:
We had a fantastic ice cream diversion. Come join us!

Steven Soderburgin

MindDetective said:
Let's say an movie goer processes the film on a spectrum, ranging from an immersed, "empathetic" viewer to a studious, "detached" viewer. I'd contend that the empathetic viewers and the detached viewers have very different tastes in movies. I would say that I analyze films (particularly scripts) like you, and I'd place myself firmly on the side of the more detached viewer.
But, see, if a movie is good, I don't consider myself to be detached even as I'm analyzing it. Though I will admit that my analysis of a movie as it's playing is not nearly as in-depth as it is when I'm reflecting on the experience. Film does keep charging forward, after all, and doesn't wait for me to come up with a pithy remark.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Krisken said:
Edrondol said:
"Fantastic Ice Cream Diversion."

I am so throwing a party, and that will be what's on the invitation.

"Please come to Leslie's Fantastic Ice Cream Diversion!"

^_^ Kriskens: The only snack that comes up with clever party names/themes for you

ElJuski

ElJuski

I'm watching The Warriors with the gal I've been hanging out with tonight. And dumpy ass BananaHands ~_~. SOO PUMPED for this wonderful stroll down Favorite Movies lane.

Steven Soderburgin

The Warriors is a really good movie. I saw it for the first time earlier this year and really enjoyed it.

Krisken

Krisken

Cajungal said:
Krisken said:
Edrondol said:
"Fantastic Ice Cream Diversion."

I am so throwing a party, and that will be what's on the invitation.

"Please come to Leslie's Fantastic Ice Cream Diversion!"

^_^ Kriskens: The only snack that comes up with clever party names/themes for you
:rofl: I love it!

Philosopher B.

The Warriors is a motherfucking masterpiece. I hear that they're making a sucky remake though. :waah:

- Philosopher B., who can't dig it.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Kissinger said:
I disagree somewhat, I believe at the core most people are passive audience members, but that our experiences in film have made us see things often differently, so much that we forget what it is like to just be a guy walking into the theater to see a show. We put to much emphasis on the craft, and less on the entertainment, that entertainment that is making the family next to us cheer in excitement when we complain about how jumbled the narrative is.

When I went to film school I noticed myself analyzing movies more then I did when I was younger. Every shot, every queue, every motif, I was following the narrative structure to a degree that I realized I was not watching a movie anymore, I was dissecting a movie.

This goes back to what I said earlier. When I go into a movie, I go trying to get the mindset of someone in the audience. Yes, I don't get the experience of taking apart the flaws, or reveling in the perfections, of certain scenes depending on the movie. But, I go in to experience the movie as it was made, for myself and an audience of my peers to enjoy. I act like I was some guy off the street walking in without any knowledge in film. You probably think that is silly of me, knowing the craft so well and yet throwing out all those notions, but I actually find myself enjoying movies more because of it. I go see and have fun with more movies then I used to.

The Dark Knight is a good example of a movie I went in and forgot I was in the audience. I found myself dissecting it down to such a level from shot to shot, scene to scene, character to character, that I realized I ruined a lot of the experience because I could not look past them anymore.

Listen, I may have come off strong in the other thread, but I felt a bit insulted, like my own experiences mattered little. I don't think my own experience in film gives me a right to tell people what they should enjoy when they walk into that theater, and I feel the same in regard to other people implying what I should enjoy. I don't want to stop good, thoughtful movies from being created, and they always will, because as long as people have a vision, we will always have good stories to watch. However, sometimes it's nice to just watch a cartoon.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

ThatNickGuy said:
http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2009/06/29/it-could-have-been-worse/

Discuss!
Well, the torturous and unfunny length simulates Revenge of the Fallen nicely.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Philosopher B. said:
The Warriors is a motherfucking masterpiece. I hear that they're making a sucky remake though. :waah:

I've heard about it. They'll be changing the setting from New York to Los Angeles and Tony Scott is directing.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

filmfanatic said:
Philosopher B. said:

I've heard about it. They'll be changing the setting from New York to Los Angeles and Tony Scott is directing.
Shego? Got a job for ya. :twisted:

Krisken

Krisken

Charlie Dont Surf said:
ThatNickGuy said:
http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2009/06/29/it-could-have-been-worse/

Discuss!
Well, the torturous and unfunny length simulates Revenge of the Fallen nicely.
You don't like Twisted Mego Theatre either, do you?

Steve

Steve

ElJuski said:
I'm watching The Warriors with the gal I've been hanging out with tonight. And dumpy a** BananaHands ~_~. SOO PUMPED for this wonderful stroll down Favorite Movies lane.
This is a great movie. Any movie with a street gang that dresses like mimes (not the Furies, the actual mime gang) and one that wears roller skates, overalls and feathered hair has to rock. And it has the most quotable lines of any movie I've seen. Particular favorites are any scene with Ajax, The Orphans or the Thin Lizzies.
And the absolute best part of the movie was the plot. After being chased to Coney they finally confront the man who killed Cyrus. "Why'd you do it? Why'd you shoot Cyrus?" The whole plot of the movie comes down to this. "No reason, I just like doing things like that!"
When I was in high school my friends and I watched this movie at least twice a month. It's one of the few movies I never get tired of.

Regarding the remake :facepalm: Unless Michael Bay directs it.

Steven Soderburgin

Steve said:
Unless Michael Bay directs it.
Reported for trolling

Krisken

Krisken

Kissinger said:
Steve said:
Reported for trolling
I think that room is full. :uhhuh:

C'mon, have a sundae.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I was gonna post a new thread but fuck it, I will just use this thread as my movie playground.

I think the lamenting and gnashing of teeth regarding remakes is dumb and there have been quite a few that added a new perspective, twist, or other something that made it worthwhile. And the idea that it "ruins" the previous work is absurd. A remake of The Warriors could be awesome and have more crazy action that the other couldn't really pull off in the low budget original.

Steve

Steve

Kissinger said:
Steve said:
Reported for trolling

According to IMDB: A Los Angeles gang is framed for killing the boss of the city's top gang during a time of peace, sending them on a dangerous cross-city mission to get back to their home turf alive.

Ugh. Part of the appeal of the first movie was the era and the city. And the only gun was the one used to kill Cyrus. I shudder to think how Hollywood will treat the remake. Over the top explosions, automatic weapons, I'm sure at least one rocket launcher. I don't know how they could top the subway scene when they are trying to catch the first train back to Coney and the Turnbull AC's are patrolling the area. Dang, I am going to have to dig through my collection and watch it again.
Charlie, your comment shocks me. I would think you out of anyone else on this board would be against any type of remake.

Philosopher B.

CDS said:
I was gonna post a new thread but fuck it, I will just use this thread as my movie playground.

I think the lamenting and gnashing of teeth regarding remakes is dumb and there have been quite a few that added a new perspective, twist, or other something that made it worthwhile. And the idea that it "ruins" the previous work is absurd. A remake of The Warriors could be awesome and have more crazy action that the other couldn't really pull off in the low budget original.
But ... gnashing teeth is so fun! :waah:

Actually, to be very serious, I would LOVE to see them take a remake of The Warriors back to the gritty and disturbing realism of the book, though I doubt they'll do that.

Chazwozel

Just finished watching Transformers 2 (torrented it).

Piece of garbage

Case closed. Glad I didn't waste 10 bucks.

Philosopher B.

But what is that avatar. It glares at me so! :Leyla:

Denbrought

Denbrought

Philosopher B. said:
Uber'd Heavy from Team Fortress 2. I swear I keep answering this question.

Gusto

Gusto

Denbrought said:
Philosopher B. said:
WHO TOUCHED MY GUN

Philosopher B.

Denbrought said:
Philosopher B. said:
Thank you, kind sir!

*Hugs Denbrought*

Oh fuck what is this sticky stuff?! :Leyla:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Gusto said:
Denbrought said:
Philosopher B. said:
WHO TOUCHED MY GUN
MUST PROTECT LITTLE BABY

Steve

Steve

Philosopher B. said:
CDS said:
I was gonna post a new thread but smurf it, I will just use this thread as my movie playground.

But ... gnashing teeth is so fun! :waah:

Actually, to be very serious, I would LOVE to see them take a remake of The Warriors back to the gritty and disturbing realism of the book, though I doubt they'll do that.
I would want to see it set back in the 70's New York. Not 2010 Los Angeles. What's next? Give one an eye patch and a cyborg side kick? Gritty is the best way to describe the first movie. A little cheesy but it was fun and you had no idea who would make it back to Coney the way they were all dropping.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Philosopher B. said:
Denbrought said:
[quote="Philosopher B.":3dd98uxf]But what is that avatar. It glares at me so! :Leyla:
Thank you, kind sir!

*Hugs Denbrought*

Oh fuck what is this sticky stuff?! :Leyla:[/quote:3dd98uxf]
You guess :unibrow:

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Steve said:
I would want to see it set back in the 70's New York.
Why would you want to see the exact same movie with different people? Did you also enjoy Gus Van Sant's "Psycho"?

Philosopher B.

I don't want them to do the same thing, but I don't want what Steve doesn't want either. The first film was a badass, fun film. But it hedged on showing some stuff the book showed, and the book had awesome realistic little details, especially seeing all the research the author did on gangs at the time. If they could capture more closely the essence of the original book, I would be interested to see that.

Denbrought said:
Philosopher B. said:
Denbrought said:
[quote="Philosopher B.":28sj6edx]But what is that avatar. It glares at me so! :Leyla:
Thank you, kind sir!

*Hugs Denbrought*

Oh fuck what is this sticky stuff?! :Leyla:
You guess :unibrow:[/quote:28sj6edx]

M ... molasses?

Steve

Steve

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Steve said:
Why would you want to see the exact same movie with different people? Did you also enjoy Gus Van Sant's "Psycho"?
Keep the same feel but toughen it up a bit. Like I said before roller skating guys and mimes are not that threatening. The way you feel about T2 is the way I'd feel about a Warriors remake. No good can come of it. Guess the point I'm making is "stay the fuck away from my Warriors! Hollywood, if you do that I will support every Michael Bay movie on opening day for the rest of my life!"

Steven Soderburgin

I like to think that Gus Van Sant's Psycho remake is a really interesting comment on the concept of remakes in general. I like to think this because I respect Gus Van Sant as an artist and there's really nothing else about that movie that works.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Kissinger said:
I like to think that Gus Van Sant's Psycho remake is a really interesting comment on the concept of remakes in general. I like to think this because I respect Gus Van Sant as an artist and there's really nothing else about that movie that works.
no, sorry, Van Sant fucked up.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Ugh. What a waste of time THAT was.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Steve said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Steve said:
Keep the same feel but toughen it up a bit. Like I said before roller skating guys and mimes are not that threatening. The way you feel about T2 is the way I'd feel about a Warriors remake. No good can come of it. Guess the point I'm making is "stay the smurf away from my Warriors! Hollywood, if you do that I will support every Michael Bay movie on opening day for the rest of my life!"
Also, from what I've been hearing, they've been metting eith all of the gangs in LA to see about providing information and assistance to making the film. Evidently, all of LA's gangs are in full support.

Steven Soderburgin

Charlie Dont Surf said:
no, sorry, Van Sant fucked up.
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Oh dear, do I sense a rift? :Leyla:

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

DarkAudit said:
We ain't no echo chamber. This fuck didn't like Shoot 'Em Up.

Steve

Steve

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Kissinger said:
no, sorry, Van Sant smurfed up.
You've got to admit that was pretty cool, though. The studio dumps a crap load of money for a remake and he does it frame by frame. Brought nothing new or innovative to the remake. Just the exact same movie. That would be like a publisher giving me a fat paycheck to rewrite a novel and I just copy it. He got paid for that shit. He got paid. And the execs who greenlit it quietly packed their desks up and began looking for a new career.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I'm pretty sure the financiers/studio/whatnot knew what he was doing before it was made.

Cajungal

Cajungal

If I remember right, the only things different besides the color were:

1. A line that Hitchcock had wanted to use but was not allowed to because of censors, something about sex probably

2. A shot at the beginning that swooped in from far away--because the technology wasn't around then

3. The amount of money stolen

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Cajungal said:
If I remember right, the only things different besides the color were:

1. A line that Hitchcock had wanted to use but was not allowed to because of censors, something about sex probably

2. A shot at the beginning that swooped in from far away--because the technology wasn't around then

3. The amount of money stolen
Those, and the sound of Norman Bates masturbating as he peers through the peephole.

Espy

Espy

Did they have anything masturbating in TF2? I know they had humping... man, how did Bay miss that?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Charlie Dont Surf said:
DarkAudit said:
What, that's like not liking freedom.

Espy

Espy

He hates freedom? GET HIM!

ElJuski

ElJuski

Charlie Dont Surf said:
DarkAudit said:
:angry: in your own words, fuck along now

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

:popcorn:

Philosopher B.

Espy said:
Did they have anything masturbating in TF2? I know they had humping... man, how did Bay miss that?
Maybe he figured the masturbation joke in the first one sufficed.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Philosopher B. said:
Espy said:
Maybe he figured the masturbation joke in the first one sufficed.
Actually, the whole movie is Micheal Bay masturbating himself.

Steven Soderburgin

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Hey, I barely liked it.

I liked Crank more, though. I'm curious to see Crank 2.
Steve said:
[You've got to admit that was pretty cool, though. The studio dumps a crap load of money for a remake and he does it frame by frame. Brought nothing new or innovative to the remake. Just the exact same movie. That would be like a publisher giving me a fat paycheck to rewrite a novel and I just copy it. He got paid for that shit. He got paid. And the execs who greenlit it quietly packed their desks up and began looking for a new career.
I was only half joking in my earlier post about Psycho. I do think it's at the very least, one of the most interesting and unique remakes ever made, simply for the fact that it had the ambition and conceit to try to remake the movie shot for shot and line for line. Here's a really great analysis of Van Sant's remake that closely examines the reasons behind the choices made and why they did or didn't work.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Crank 2 made me feel like I was crazy.

Steven Soderburgin

One thing I love about Crank 2 without having seen it is that it's yet another great counter to the absurd argument that critics don't like action movies.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I was so pissed that I missed my chance to see Crank 2 in the theaters. Now I must wait for DVD to revel in its absurd fucknuttery.

Lally

Steve said:
Charlie, your comment shocks me. I would think you out of anyone else on this board would be against any type of remake.
That would imply that a movie is necessarily bad specifically because it's a remake. This isn't the case at all. A remake is simply the vehicle, the opportunity to retell a story. Unfortunately, this usually seems to be accompanied by laziness, which is what creates the horrible, unimaginative remake. The concept of a remake itself is not necessarily the problem, it's the execution of said remake.

It's kind of like when you're in elementary school and they tell you you're not allowed to start a sentence with "because." You totally can start a sentence with "because," you just have to know how to construct a proper sentence afterward. A good remake can be made, you just have to know how to construct a proper one.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Not all remakes are bad. Without remakes, we would have missed out on one of the greatest movie sequences of all time. The chariot race in the 1959 remake of Ben-Hur. Not only was it a remake of one of the biggest films of 1925, but that version was itself a remake.

But the trend now reeks of laziness. Remakes in place of original ideas. Remakes of films that weren't all that good to begin with, or probably shouldn't have been made at all. Remakes of films so new the projector bulb is still warm.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Lally said:
It's kind of like when you're in elementary school and they tell you you're not allowed to start a sentence with "because." You totally can start a sentence with "because," you just have to know how to construct a proper sentence afterward. A good remake can be made, you just have to know how to construct a proper one.
Great post and analogy. And I totally think there have been a lot of awful remakes lately, but I just don't like condemning a movie and gnashing teeth when we don't know really anything about the movie yet.

Shawn

Shawn

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Lally said:
Great post and analogy. And I totally think there have been a lot of awful remakes lately, but I just don't like condemning a movie and gnashing teeth when we don't know really anything about the movie yet.
I feel a remake should only be made if something can be built upon the concept of the original. Better special effects is a good springboard for remakes of scifi or horror films, but often becomes a crutch instead. I felt 1988's "The Blob" was a decent remake due to the better creature effects and twist on the original story (instead of a monster from deep space, it's a government created war germ that mutated during a satellite test). On the other hand you have a movie like the Friday the 13th remake that, despite some sweet kills, doesn't have anything that really makes it stand out as a remake, let alone a typical slasher film. Get rid of the hockey mask and you could have called it "Lakeside Killer" and no one would have noticed the connection.

Gurpel

Gurpel

Lally said:
Here is another analogy; it's kind of like when you're in elementary school and they tell you you're not allowed to start a sentence with "because." You totally can start a sentence with "because," [strike:gcodjtca]you just have to know how to construct a proper sentence afterward.[/strike:gcodjtca] you just have to do it in the correct situation. A good remake can be made, you just have to know [strike:gcodjtca]how to construct a proper one.[/strike:gcodjtca] when it is appropriate to make one

did you actually just post that?

is there something i'm missing here? you are the same guy who valued the suffering that would be caused to him by TF2:ROF at 30 dollars, right?

PRE-EDIT: i know my first thing is kind of covered by the above post, but i started typing before i saw it.

Krisken

Krisken

Gurpel said:
CDS said:
did you actually just post that?

is there something i'm missing here? you are the same guy who valued the suffering that would be caused to him by TF2:ROF at 30 dollars, right?
Oh, that had to be on purpose.

edited to fix quotes.

Dammit Shannow, I'm agreeing with you again. I'm a bit surprised there were reports for that thread. I've seen much worse here.

Shannow

Shannow

ZenMonkey said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Ya know what...fuck the reports. Sorry, but people need to toughen up a bit, if they reported others in that last thread.

-- Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:59 am --

Calleja said:
Cajungal said:
I'm not saying anything inflammatory either! I'm just going from the 20 pages of spewing poop against something they haven't seen. Where was *I* inflammatory?

I saw the movie, and thats when I started posting in the other thread. Guess what, it was shit. And I stand behind what I said over there, too.

...Sorry all, I came to this thread late, but wow, the first page alone is made of awesome.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Gurpel said:

PRE-EDIT: i know my first thing is kind of covered by the above post, but i started typing before i saw it.

uh... we know a shitload more about Transformers 2 than this Warriors remake that has no trailer, no script, no cast, no reviews, no toy tie-ins.....

Shannow

Shannow

We know its goign to be posted as some sort of gospel, so may as well get it out of the way...

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Shannow said:
We know its goign to be posted as some sort of gospel, so may as well get it out of the way...
someone already did, there is no excuse for ever posting xkcd, kill yourself.

Krisken

Krisken

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Shannow said:
You make me really sad Charlie.

Shawn

Shawn

Shannow said:
Never post relevant things that give your side of the argument a slap to the face.

strawman

strawman

Shawnacy said:
Shannow said:
Never post relevant things that give your side of the argument a slap to the face.
He didn't take CDS and Kissinger's advice about seeing the movie, what makes you think he's going to take your advice about not undermining your own arguments?

That said, it's a funny comic.

"Gerroffa mah [strike:1tiqjv8l]lawn[/strike:1tiqjv8l] movies ya lazy bums!"

-Adam

xkcd almost always has a comic that is relevant to the topic at hand.

Shannow

Shannow

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Shannow said:
Did not see it, but then again, if it was..my point was proven. Seeing as I was jsut saying that someone was going to post it as an argument, point, etc. and that we may as well get it out of the way.

Also, go fuck yourself? Yeah, defintiely go fuck yourself.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Shannow said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Shannow said:
Did not see it, but then again, if it was..my point was proven. Seeing as I was jsut saying that someone was going to post it as an argument, point, etc. and that we may as well get it out of the way.

Also, go fuck yourself? Yeah, defintiely go fuck yourself.
The kill yourself was joking I like you :( It was more of a jab at XKCD.

Shannow

Shannow

Awww..I like you too. :thumbsup:

Though now, I can only picture the scene of Homer Simpson in bootcamp getting yelled at by the drill instructer.

Chazwozel

I'd just like to say that I'd like to apologize on behalf of bandwidth everywhere for wasting it to download Transformers 2. That's how bad it was.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Chazwozel said:
I'd just like to say that I'd like to apologize on behalf of bandwidth everywhere for wasting it to download Transformers 2. That's how bad it was.
Somewhere someone streaming Die Hard off Netflix had a hiccup and got the "your internet connection has slowed, we must adjust" message and it's all your fault.

Shannow

Shannow

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Chazwozel said:
Somewhere someone streaming Die Hard off Netflix had a hiccup and got the "your internet connection has slowed, we must adjust" message and it's all your fault.
But it was Die Hard 4, so all was right with the world.

Espy

Espy

Hey now, DH4 was Shakespeare compared to TF2.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Shannow said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Chazwozel said:
But it was Die Hard 4, so all was right with the world.
The original is the only one available on instant watch :smug:

Shannow

Shannow

:slap:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Once again, people...

TF2=Team Fortress 2
T2=Terminator 2

Find something else to soil. :tongue:

ElJuski

ElJuski

I'm trying to think of a re-make that I honestly enjoyed better than the original...

I know I like the American The Office much more. Not to mention the Batman Begins and Dark Knight reboots.

My brain's a little fried from just waking up, and I'm sure more will come.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

ElJuski said:
I'm trying to think of a re-make that I honestly enjoyed better than the original...

I know I like the American The Office much more. Not to mention the Batman Begins and Dark Knight reboots.

My brain's a little fried from just waking up, and I'm sure more will come.
The Thing, Ben-Hur, Maltese Falcon, Ocean's 11, The Departed, The Fly

ElJuski

ElJuski

Ahh see...the thing is, is that I've seen most of the remakes, but not the originals. For instance, I loved The Departed, but I can't really comment on whether its better than the original or not. But I thought it was a great movie.

Steven Soderburgin

Charlie Dont Surf said:
How many of these, remakes or originals, have you seen?

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Kissinger said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
How many of these, remakes or originals, have you seen?
Remakes: all but Ben-Hur. I feel pretty safe in saying the remakes are better since the originals are all either foreign and subtitley or in black and white

Steven Soderburgin

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Remakes: all but Ben-Hur. I feel pretty safe in saying the remakes are better since the originals are all either foreign and subtitley or in black and white
I hate you so fucking much.

Shawn

Shawn

Kissinger said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
I hate you so smurfing much.
Walk across the room and punch him in the mouth?

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

No, honestly I haven't seen the originals. I want to see Foreign Affairs really bad since quite a few people say it's better than The Departed. These are definitely more talked-about and more high profile movies. The very least I can say about them is that they're examples of just really terrific and awesome movies that just happen to be remakes.

Steven Soderburgin

In all seriousness, I love the 1925 Ben Hur (one of the first epics ever made) but the William Wyler version is better.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I leave work yesterday to a dead Transformers Thread, I log in after lunch to find 7 pages to the new one? wow just wow

I am a little disappointed that the original did not make the hall of fame. I guess a thread needs to be an insult to Calleja to make it in there now.

Steven Soderburgin

sixpackshaker said:
I leave work yesterday to a dead Transformers Thread, I log in after lunch to find 7 pages to the new one? wow just wow

I am a little disappointed that the original did not make the hall of fame. I guess a thread needs to be an insult to Calleja to make it in there now.
Good post

Shannow

Shannow

Kissinger said:
In all seriousness, I love the 1925 Ben Hur (one of the first epics ever made) but the William Wyler version is better.

Well, to be honest, the best remake was made by Senior Speilbergo:

Drink up...Juda Ben Hur.

Iaculus

Charlie Dont Surf said:
No, honestly I haven't seen the originals. I want to see Foreign Affairs really bad since quite a few people say it's better than The Departed. These are definitely more talked-about and more high profile movies. The very least I can say about them is that they're examples of just really terrific and awesome movies that just happen to be remakes.
Though some of the Departed's additions were fun (Jack Nicholson and the Dropkick Murphys, f'rinstance), I slightly preferred Infernal Affairs. It's a tighter, tidier film, and I liked the fact that [spoiler:2i45xeyv]the Triad mole in the police force lives.[/spoiler:2i45xeyv]

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Iaculus said:
Infernal Affairs.
Fuuuuuuuuuuck I knew Foreign Affairs didn't sound right.

Denbrought

Denbrought

I love Infernal Affairs, one of my favourite police movies.

Iaculus

One other selling point of the Departed is that the fact it's in English makes it slightly easier to follow some of the plot components (and it tends to give them a bit more explanation anyway). Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad film - it's just that its parent is better.

Gusto

Gusto

YOU TRULY ARE THE KING OF KINGS

Shannow

Shannow

Gusto said:
YOU TRULY ARE THE KING OF KINGS
Excelllllllllent.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S57OHW_WEfA:2lbq76hw][/youtube:2lbq76hw]

@Li3n

@Li3n

My friends had nothing better to do, so i finally saw Trans2... and man, why didn't you guys tell me it was so intentionally retarded (sorry, i couldn't live in a world where that wasn't intentional) that it became a somewhat funny parody of itself... i still feel a bit guilty for supporting this kinda of thing being very successful, but i no longer think it's that much of a waste of movie film.

Also, i see the robot battles being confusing wasn't the cam... good to know.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

@Li3n said:
My friends had nothing better to do, so i finally saw Trans2... and man, why didn't you guys tell me it was so intentionally retarded (sorry, i couldn't live in a world where that wasn't intentional) that it became a somewhat funny parody of itself... i still feel a bit guilty for supporting this kinda of thing being very successful, but i no longer think it's that much of a waste of movie film.

I refuse to believe this movie was smart enough to parody anything.

Shannow

Shannow

Charlie Dont Surf said:
[quote="@Li3n":1kgkguji]My friends had nothing better to do, so i finally saw Trans2... and man, why didn't you guys tell me it was so intentionally retarded (sorry, i couldn't live in a world where that wasn't intentional) that it became a somewhat funny parody of itself... i still feel a bit guilty for supporting this kinda of thing being very successful, but i no longer think it's that much of a waste of movie film.

I refuse to believe this movie was smart enough to parody anything.[/quote:1kgkguji]

It was not a parody of anything.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

It was too fucking lazy to be a parody of anything.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Yeah, I'm going to have to side with Shannow, Charlie and Frankie on this one. Really frickin' goofy? It certainly was. Intentional self-parody? It most certainly was not.

ElJuski

ElJuski

:blue:

Espy

Espy

ElJuski said:
:humph:

Gusto

Gusto

I've been falling into the trap of suspecting that EVERYTHING is intentional self-parody a lot recently. Assuming that "that guy is either a dumbass or a complete genius" or whatever.

It is rarely true.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Shannow said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
[quote="@Li3n":1hewz7rl]My friends had nothing better to do, so i finally saw Trans2... and man, why didn't you guys tell me it was so intentionally retarded (sorry, i couldn't live in a world where that wasn't intentional) that it became a somewhat funny parody of itself... i still feel a bit guilty for supporting this kinda of thing being very successful, but i no longer think it's that much of a waste of movie film.

I refuse to believe this movie was smart enough to parody anything.
It was not a parody of anything.[/quote:1hewz7rl]

It parodied itself... and not all parody has to be smart... this was like so pathetic that it becomes funny... as i don't know of any word for that parody will do...

I mean really, if this wasn't intentional then the guys who came up with it would be too stupid to remember to breath...

Cajungal

Cajungal

Tomorrow is the day. Everyone has piqued my morbid curiosity about this movie. I'm sure I'll find that I've seen worse. Maybe I'll have a glass of wine before...

Gusto

Gusto

Cajungal said:
Tomorrow is the day. Everyone has piqued my morbid curiosity about this movie. I'm sure I'll find that I've seen worse. Maybe I'll have a glass of wine before...
From what I've heard, you'll want to finish the bottle afterwards. :bush:

@Li3n

@Li3n

Cajungal said:
Ed Wood is my master now!

Krisken

Krisken

Cajungal said:
You may want to make that a scotch. Just fair warning.

Shannow

Shannow

@Li3n said:
It parodied itself... and not all parody has to be smart... this was like so pathetic that it becomes funny... as i don't know of any word for that parody will do...

I mean really, if this wasn't intentional then the guys who came up with it would be too stupid to remember to breath...
it is not a parody of itself. and you just agreed with basically everything we have said about the movie so far :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

Krisken said:
Cajungal said:
Scotch makes me cough. :(

One glass of wine and I'm pretty drunk. Yeah. Sad.

Buuuut as one who can't find the energy to get outraged at dumb movies being made for money, I'm going to try and have fun and take it with a grain of salt. I'm more concerned about the fellow's brother wanting to talk about it afterwards. It's not that he's dumb. He isn't... just kind of dull at times..

Krisken

Krisken

Cajungal said:
Krisken said:
Cajungal said:
Scotch makes me cough. :(

One glass of wine and I'm pretty drunk. Yeah. Sad.

Buuuut as one who can't find the energy to get outraged at dumb movies being made for money, I'm going to try and have fun and take it with a grain of salt. I'm more concerned about the fellow's brother wanting to talk about it afterwards. It's not that he's dumb. He isn't... just kind of dull at times..
:rofl: I get the feeling I know what you mean. I have a friend who doesn't quite "get" things quite like the rest of us sometimes.

Cajungal

Cajungal

He thinks things are interesting when they're not. I know what's a matter of opinion, but damnit, sometimes something is just not interesting!

@Li3n

@Li3n

Shannow said:
and you just agreed with basically everything we have said about the movie so far :)
What, you missed that the first time around?!

Anyway, it's a comedy... i think we can all agree there...

Krisken

Krisken

Cajungal said:
He thinks things are interesting when they're not. I know what's a matter of opinion, but damnit, sometimes something is just not interesting!
Does he start off with "Oh, you're going to love this", then go into a very long, meandering story that loses focus at least 3 times and fails to deliver in the end? The bad story teller, I know this specimen well.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Krisken said:
Cajungal said:
Does he start off with "Oh, you're going to love this", then go into a very long, meandering story that loses focus at least 3 times and fails to deliver in the end? The bad story teller, I know this specimen well.
Micheal Bay

Krisken

Krisken

ElJuski said:
Krisken said:
Cajungal said:
Micheal Bay
Worse. At least we get explosions with Bay.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Krisken said:
Cajungal said:
Let's you and me be friends.

Shannow

Shannow

@Li3n said:
Shannow said:
and you just agreed with basically everything we have said about the movie so far :)

I lean more towards trajedy.

Krisken

Krisken

Cajungal said:
Krisken said:
Cajungal said:
I hope I wasn't presumptuous, but I already consider us friends. :D

Cajungal

Cajungal

Krisken said:
Cajungal said:
Krisken said:
Cajungal said:
I hope I wasn't presumptuous, but I already consider us friends. :D
*hugs*
:D

Le Quack

If you enjoy big robots killing the fuck out of each other, watch this movie.

Troll

Troll

Le Quack said:
If you enjoy big robots killing the fuck out of each other, watch this movie.
... and yet too much of the film's action scenes are devoted to the US military killing the fuck out of robots. That kinda defeats the purpose of the source material, IMO.

Le Quack

US military kills one robot.

ElJuski

ElJuski

But they try to kill the fuck out of all of them, which really defeats the purpose of robot on robot action to begin with. Not to mention there's hardly any robot on robot action. Not to mention any of the robot on robot action is a jangled mess where you can't tell whose doing what to whom with what.

Le Quack

Maybe all this robot on robot action that looks like a jangled mess of robot on robot action is really just robot on robot action that is directed really well and that your eyes cant see the robot on robot action that is actually there. Not to mention there was waaaay more robot on robot action in the second one as compared to the robot on robot action in the first one. Fans of the first one because of robot on robot action therefore should like the second one because of robot on robot action.

Cajungal

Cajungal

:bush:

Denbrought

Denbrought

So Le Quack ate some 'shrooms while in Africa? Cool.

Troll

Troll

ElJuski said:
But they try to kill the fuck out of all of them, which really defeats the purpose of robot on robot action to begin with. Not to mention there's hardly any robot on robot action. Not to mention any of the robot on robot action is a jangled mess where you can't tell whose doing what to whom with what.
I was going to respond with something very similar to this.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Le Quack said:
Maybe all this robot on robot action that looks like a jangled mess of robot on robot action is really just robot on robot action that is directed really well and that your eyes cant see the robot on robot action that is actually there. Not to mention there was waaaay more robot on robot action in the second one as compared to the robot on robot action in the first one. Fans of the first one because of robot on robot action therefore should like the second one because of robot on robot action.
:blue:

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Le Quack said:
US military kills one robot.
Devastator, who is made of 6 seperate dudes, almost the entirety of the Decepticon forces during a carpet bombing and shelling from tanks.

After the Air Force or whatever carpet bombs the Decepticons, all that are left are Megatron, Starscream and Fallen.

That is more than one.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Le Quack said:
If you enjoy big robots killing the fuck out of each other, watch small PARTS of this movie.
Fixed that for you...

Shannow said:
@Li3n said:
Shannow said:

I lean more towards trajedy.
Wait, are you saying tragedies aren't funny?! :paranoid:

Scarlet Varlet

Just came from the movie. :popcorn:

It was GREAT!

Loved the whole thing and even tolerated some of the mushy bits. :slywink:

Favourite quote: My grandfather was the first wheel. Do you know what he transformed into? Nothing! But he did so with dignity.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Wwwwwwwwwwwelp. Saw it. It was.... it sure was a movie, all right.

1. Dumb characters. And Megan Fox doesn't so much act as keep her mouth in "waiting for penis" position at all times.

2. Those twin robots were obnoxious.

3. Neat fights at the end.

4. The dialogue and spinning-around scenes (sooooo many of them...)both gave me nausea.

5. Glad I didn't pay for it.

Not a horrible afternoon. The M+Ms were good.

Troll

Troll

Cajungal said:

Iaculus

A Troll said:
Cajungal said:
... Yeah, that looks like one.

Espy

Espy

I knew you had good taste Cajun... I just knew it. :D

@Li3n

@Li3n

Cajungal said:
1. Dumb characters. And Megan Fox doesn't so much act as keep her mouth in "waiting for penis" position at all times.
This is why we like her...

Cajungal

Cajungal

@Li3n said:
Cajungal said:
This is why she should be in very specific types of magazines, not movies.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Cajungal said:
@Li3n said:
Cajungal said:
1. Dumb characters. And Megan Fox doesn't so much act as keep her mouth in "waiting for fireman" position at all times.
This is why she should be in very specific types of magazines and very specific types of movies.
:heythere:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Shegokigo said:
Cajungal said:
@Li3n said:
Cajungal said:
1. Dumb characters. And Megan Fox doesn't so much act as keep her mouth in "waiting for fireman" position at all times.
This is why she should be in very specific types of magazines and very specific types of movies.
:heythere:
You know, I almost corrected myself, but I figured someone would do it for me.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Cajungal said:
Always glad to have a reason for being around. :D

Cajungal

Cajungal

Shegokigo said:
Cajungal said:
Always glad to have a reason for being around. :D
You're very helpful. ^_^

R

Raemon777

Quite frankly, I prefer porn where there's JUUUST enough plot that I can pretend it actually makes sense. Transformers 2 bordered on Softcore enough that I'd rather see her take a few more steps to the right on the "Actual Entertainment <----> Porn" scale than to jump into the same shit that most of the industry is filled with.

(I actually also think she's a reasonable actress. It's just that Bay had no interest in using her reasonable acting skills when he hired her for... other specific purposes. He even says something to that effect in an interview I saw a while back).

Espy

Espy

Raemon777 said:
(I actually also think she's a reasonable actress.
Has she been in anything that showcases her acting ability or is this a gut feeling?

Scarlet Varlet

Raemon777 said:
Quite frankly, I prefer porn where there's JUUUST enough plot that I can pretend it actually makes sense. Transformers 2 bordered on Softcore enough that I'd rather see her take a few more steps to the right on the "Actual Entertainment <----> Porn" scale than to jump into the same poop that most of the industry is filled with.

(I actually also think she's a reasonable actress. It's just that Bay had no interest in using her reasonable acting skills when he hired her for... other specific purposes. He even says something to that effect in an interview I saw a while back).

Considered the student housing at, what was that Look At Boobs U.? The casting was completely absurd. I enjoyed the movie for the Transformers and the battle scenes and stuff. If I were to nitpick the film I'd be at it all decade.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Holy fuck, someone just showed me this today.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transform ... iscussion/

That folks, is into the mouth of madness.....

-- Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:11 pm --

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transform ... -rotf.html

JESUS. FUCKING. CHRIST.

It's like reading a furry forum in it's blind, devoted depravity.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Transformers fanboys are terrible people.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Transformers fanboys are terrible people.
All fanboys are jibbering idiots.

Steve

Steve

It's like Michael Bay made this thread. A whole lot of nothing has gone on for too long here.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Steve said:
It's like Michael Bay made this thread. A whole lot of nothing has gone on for too long here.
thanks for the pooooooooooooost

Steve

Steve

Well, much like a Michael Bay movie, I've got to give my support or how else will I get a T3 movie and a T3 sucks thread?

Cajungal

Cajungal

I read the thread about "powerful" lines of dialogue. That was... adorable.

Krisken

Krisken

Cajungal said:
Wait, we have a "Powerful lines of dialogue" thread? I knew we had a lyrics one...

Cajungal

Cajungal

Krisken said:
Cajungal said:
Wait, we have a "Powerful lines of dialogue" thread? I knew we had a lyrics one...
O haha no, it was one of the links up there. Apparently Starscream said something poignant.

R

Raemon777

Has she been in anything that showcases her acting ability or is this a gut feeling?
Not really no - I'm not saying she has the ability to portray anything other than the mildly-edgy-sexy girl from Transformers. However, I've seen plenty of "mildly-edgy-sexy girls" in movies that WEREN'T good actresses, and there's a difference in quality between them and Megan Fox.

In mildly related news... what exactly are the rules on cursing here? I see people using the word smurf a lot and my post recently got quoted as saying "poop" instead of "sh!#@," but given the topics of conversation here it seems weird to be censoring specific words.

Shakey

Shakey

There is a filter you can turn off. It's there so people can browse at work.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

there is a word censor
you can disable it in the user control panel
it censors in quotes and in titles

there are no rules about cursing like sailors

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Quotes censor words. Why? I have no smurfucking idea.

R

Raemon777

Oh, so if I post something, but someone with the filter on quotes it, the quote gets filtered?

Edit: Seems to be the case. Gotcha.

@Li3n

@Li3n

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYSVNzJAYaM:29iiu44l][/youtube:29iiu44l]

The funny thing is i can;t really tell if it's worse then "M.Bay blows stuff up around robots part II"...

Wait, Sheridan/Tron is in it?! Now i have to see it...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Looks like the bots have shot their wad...

Transformers 2 and Ice Age 3 tie for top weekend box office spot.

If there hadn't been reviews of Ice Age 3 linked on Google News last week, I would never have known it was coming.

Alucard

Call me naive on the subject here but I seriously hope Ice Age 3 does better in the box office over Transformers 2 in the long run this year.

@Li3n

@Li3n

DarkAudit said:
Looks like the bots have shot their wad...
Nah, just Bumblebee... (also, actually in the movie)!

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

PhantomShadow said:
Call me naive on the subject here but I seriously hope Ice Age 3 does better in the box office over Transformers 2 in the long run this year.
You're naive on the subject.

Hey, this is still about Roger Ebert's review right? (nope)

Well, who cares, read this fantastic blog entry by him about "turn your brain off popcorn hurrr"

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/07 ... iniac.html

Roger Ebert said:
Roger Ebert is a moron! Transformers 2 is the best action movie ever. Don't listem to that moron! He is only into slow boring romantic movies. That is his type of movies. Michael Bay did a great good. Roger... your an old fart! John C

Having now absorbed all or parts of 750 responses to my complaints about \"Transformers,\" I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that most of those writing agree with me that it is a horrible movie. After all, look where they've chosen to comment. There have, however been some disagreements that I thought were reasonable. These writers mostly said they had a thing about the Transformers toys of their childhoods, or liked the animation on TV, or like to see stuff blowed up real good. In that case. Michael Bay is your man. If you enjoyed the movie, there is no way I can say you're wrong. About yourself, anyway.

Another common line of attack was disturbing. It came from people who said I was out of touch with the tastes of the audience. That the movie's detractors (lumped together as \"the critics\") like only obscure movies that nobody else does--art films, documentaries, foreign films, indies, movies made 50 years ago--even, God forbid, \"classics.\" One poster argued that \"Transformers\" was better than that boring old movie \"Casablanca.\"

I was informed I didn't \"get\" Michael Bay. I was too old, \"of the wrong generation,\" or an elitist or a liberal--although not, I was relieved to find, a \"liberal elitist.\" It seems to me \"Transformers\" also qualifies for conservative scorn. It is obliviously nonpartisan. Yet one commented said I hated the movie because it was an attack on President Obama. I was afraid to say I hadn't noticed that, because then I would be told I hadn't even seen the movie. It is possible to miss many of the plot points, strange in a movie with so few of them. Veiled in-jokes about politicians and famous people, popular in animation and mass market movies, come with the territory. I enjoy them. The apparent reference to Obama was no big deal, although a reader from Germany told me the actual name \"Obama\" was used in the German dub. That possibly didn't happen without Bay hearing about it.

But am I out of touch? It's not a critic's job to reflect box office taste. The job is to describe my reaction to a film, to account for it, and evoke it for others. The job of the reader is not to find his opinion applauded or seconded, but to evaluate another opinion against his own. But you know that. We've been over that ground many times. What disturbs me is when I'm specifically told that I know too much about movies, have \"studied\" them, go into them \"too deep,\" am always looking for things the average person doesn't care about, am always mentioning things like editing or cinematography, and am forever comparing films to other films.

I've \"forgotten what it's like to be a kid,\" another poster told me. One of the most-admired contributors to this blog, who signs herself \"A Kid.,\" is 12 years old. She hasn't forgotten. Neither have many other readers of middle school age. Their posts give me hope for the future. For them, to be a kid is not to be uncritical or thoughtlessly accepting. They seek magic, and don't find it in the brutal hammering of \"Transformers.\"

A reader named Jared Diamond, a senior at Syracuse, sports editor of The Daily Orange, put my disturbance eloquently in a post asking: \"Why in this society are the intelligent vilified? Why is education so undervalued and those who preach it considered arrogant or pretentious?\" Why, indeed? If sports fans were like certain movie fans, they would hate sports writers, commentators and sports talk hosts for always discussing fine points, quoting statistics and bringing up games and players of the past. If all you want to do is drink beer in the sunshine and watch a ball game, why should some elitist play-by-play announcer bore you with his knowledge? Yet sports fans are proud of their baseball knowledge, and respect commentators who know their stuff.

It's true that many Americans have an active suspicion and dislike of the \"educated.\" They ask, \"what makes you an expert?\" when they're really asking, \"what gives you the right to disagree with me?\" The term \"college graduate\" has become in some circles a negative. Hostility is especially focused on the \"Eastern Elite,\" to the chagrin of we Midwestern Elitists. To describe someone as a \"Harvard student\" is to dismiss them as beneath consideration. You can often hear the words \"so-called\" in front of words like scientist, educator, philosopher. I don't believe this is intended to imply that the person involved is not a scientist, etc., but to suggest that no one calling himself such a thing is to be trusted--because he is no doubt many other undesirable things.

While I am eager, in the words of my alma mater's song \"Illinois Loyalty,\" to back you to stand, against the best in the land, I envy the hell out of anyone who has gotten himself into Harvard, especially with his mind and not his parents' clout. Some people believe it is the best university in America. Why must that be a mark of shame?

I never took a film class. I will not bore you with yet another recitation of my rags-to-riches saga, my hard-won film education, and blah, blah, blah. Let's just say I started out with a lot to learn, and am still trying to learn as much of it as I can. There are people who know so much more about film than I do, it makes me all but weep with gratitude when they deign to speak with me. Two words: David Bordwell. That he speaks to everyone in clear and eloquent prose speaks for itself. It isn't that he \"thinks he knows more than anybody else.\" It's that he does. It's like he happens to know a lot of interesting stuff, and is happy to share it with you.

Now about those who sincerely believe \"Transformers\" is a good, even a great, film. I sincerely believe they are wrong. I don't consider them stupid--at least, not (most of) the ones who write to me. Some of the posters at certain popular web forums are nine blooms short of a bouquet. But on the other hand look at the spirited discussions on the movie forums of the all-Transformers-all-the time seibertron.com, where a Paramount exit poll showing \"90% of those polled thought the second film was as good or better than the first one\" has been received with ridicule. Significantly, those are moderated forums.

So let's focus on those who seriously believe \"Transformers\" is one of the year's best films. Are these people wrong? Yes. They are wrong. I am fond of the story I tell about Gene Siskel. When a so-called film critic defended a questionable review by saying, \"after all, it's opinion,\" Gene told him: \"There is a point when a personal opinion shades off into an error of fact. When you say 'The Valachi Papers' is a better film than 'The Godfather,' you are wrong.\" Quite true. We should respect differing opinions up to certain point, and then it's time for the wise to blow the whistle. Sir, not only do I differ with what you say, but I would certainly not fight to the death for your right to say it. Not me. You have to pick your fights.

What I believe is that all clear-minded people should remain two things throughout their lifetimes: Curious and teachable. If someone I respect tells me I must take a closer look at the films of Abbas Kiarostami, I will take that seriously. If someone says the kung-fu movies of the 1970s, which I used for our old Dog of the Week segments, deserve serious consideration, I will listen. I will try to do what Pauline Kael said she did: Take everything you are, and all the films you've seen, into the theater. See the film, and decide if anything has changed. The older you are and the more films you've seen, the more you take into the theater. When I had been a film critic for ten minutes, I treated Doris Day as a target for cheap shots. I have learned enough to say today that the woman was rarely gifted.

Those who think \"Transformers\" is a great or even a good film are, may I tactfully suggest, not sufficiently evolved. Film by film, I hope they climb a personal ladder into the realm of better films, until their standards improve. Those people contain multitudes. They deserve films that refresh the parts others do not reach. They don't need to spend a lifetime with the water only up to their toes.

Do I ever have one of those days when, the hell with it, all I want to do is eat popcorn and watch explosions? I haven't had one of those days for a long time. There are too many other films to see. I've had experiences at the movies so rich, so deep--and yes, so funny and exciting--that I don't want to water the soup. I went to \"Transformers\" with an open mind (I gave a passing grade to the first one). But if I despised the film and it goes on to break box office records, will I care? No. I'll hope however that everyone who paid for a ticket thought they had a good time, because it was their time and their money.

The opening grosses are a tribute to a marketing campaign, not to a movie no one had seen. If two studios spend a ton of money on a film, scare away the competition, and open in 4,234 theaters before the Fourth of July, of course they do blockbuster business. The test is: Does the film have legs?

Major league Hollywood seems completely dominated by the belief that money can buy anything and justify anything. When a reader wrote to inform me that Michel Bay paid $8 million to the writers of the screenplay, I very much doubted it. Turns out that figure is correct. With numbers like that representative of big time Hollywood, I observe with Yeats that the best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. No wonder. It pays better.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I like that; thanks for posting it. :D

As for all that Obama talk... my bf's brother said the same thing--that it was some kind of political commentary when it was mentioned on the news that President Obama had been relocated to a safer place.

To me, it's only that there are 2 things you can do when you mention an ACTUAL president in a movie:

1. Get an actor who is able, and willing, to impersonate him.

2. Find some excuse for why he isn't in a movie where it might be expected for the President to address the nation.

Didn't seem like a big deal to me.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I haven't really read the thread. did it ever break down into a fight where it's "this is a bad movie" vs. "I had fun when I watched it"?

Espy

Espy

Damn. Ebert ftw again.

Steve

Steve

Charlie Dont Surf said:
[quote="Roger Ebert":vgurw7tm]Review
[/quote:vgurw7tm]

Thing I like about Ebert is he is old school nerd. Short, fat, glasses, not to attractive and the highlight of his dating career was Oprah and that was back when she was fat nappy haired Oprah.
And that was a great review. Unlike you Charlie my disdaint for T2 came AFTER I saw the movie not before it. I was still holding hope it would be good and was dissappointed. Most of my friends who don't live online and aren't into comics love the movie. My few friends who play WOW, bounce through forums and read comics thought the movie was garbage. Physically we may be inferior but intellectually we are superior. Transformers 2 sucked!

Krisken

Krisken

I maintain the stink made about this movie is equal to the stink of the movie.

Amusing read. Agree with most of what he said.

Steven Soderburgin

Krisken said:

Weren't you one of the people saying that critics are out of touch and claiming the fact that you never read reviews as a point of pride?

Krisken

Krisken

Kissinger said:
Krisken said:

Weren't you one of the people saying that critics are out of touch and claiming the fact that you never read reviews as a point of pride?
No, you mix me with others who were making other arguments. That's the problem with lumping together everyone who disagrees with you in the same group. :heythere:

I said that reviews are all nice and well, but I prefer to form my own opinion (and have).

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

As for his question, "Does the film have legs?" I would point to my link earlier today with this weekend's box office numbers, and say it does not.

Harry Potter is sure to give Optimus Prime a right ass-kicking. :moon:

Steve

Steve

Krisken said:
Kissinger said:
Krisken said:

No, you mix me with others who were making other arguments. That's the problem with lumping together everyone who disagrees with you in the same group. :heythere:

I said that reviews are all nice and well, but I prefer to form my own opinion (and have).
Ebert made a good point in hoping those who thought it was a good movie would find better movies and evolve in their tastes. I mean I thought Power Rangers was an awesome show when it came out. Go back and watch it. . . not so much.
And regarding braindead fun I'm the king of that. I really enjoyed the first movie and am the first to shut off all parts of my brain and enjoy a movie but this one just did not do that to me. Honestly, you have a movie about vehicles that turn into giant robots. How in the world can you screw that up? Or it could have been I had my expectations too high (I enjoyed the first movie) and it just didn't live up to them.

As for his question, "Does the film have legs?" I would point to my link earlier today with this weekend's box office numbers, and say it does not.
And as long as it pulled in the green it did Hollywood doesn't care. Ebert made a good point that marketing campaigns drive these openings. Just like with Spiderman 3. Despite the horrible reviews and the sharp fall in box office receipts after the opening weekend the studio heads still feel it was a success and they were correct in forcing Raimi to put Venom in the movie. Lucas still feels the recent Star Wars films were a success. They all live in their own reality and it doesn't include us.

MisterSteve

MisterSteve

Took my little brother and his friend, they loved it. I thought it was better than the first one. Of course, the first one was utter dogshit, so....

If they really wanted to make a good flick, please, please, please, make it where I can SEE WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON! The robots all look alike and when they fight at close quarters, you can't see shit. That is my whole review, right there. Can't. See. Shit.

chakz

Two things.
1. I now respect the hell out of Roger Ebert and will be paying closer attention to his reviews (twas the iron man review that did it)
2. I keep mistaking TF2 for team fortress 2.

That is all.

strawman

strawman

Steve said:
And as long as it pulled in the green it did Hollywood doesn't care.... Despite the horrible reviews and the sharp fall in box office receipts after the opening weekend the studio heads still feel it was a success... They all live in their own reality and it doesn't include us.
Keep in mind that movie studios claim the majority of the profit for the movies for the first few weeks, then the movie theaters get their profit. For some highly anticipated films, the theaters get NOTHING for the first week or two (ie, star wars episode one).

http://www.themovieblog.com/2007/10/eco ... us-so-much

So it's a success from the studio's point of view if the movie makes back its money on opening weekend and then doubles that over then next week or three so the studio can recoup losses due to box office bombs.

They don't really care if a movie has staying power, and so advertising the movie heavily leading up to its release is great, and once the studios stop getting theater profits (and the theaters finally starting getting their real cut) the advertising stops.

Transformers 2, whether anyone here likes it or not, was successful, and the studio knows it can produce the same kind of film and make it work for them.

-Adam

Shawn

Shawn

Thought I would post Sohmer's review of Transformers 2 from his blog post at http://www.leasticoulddo.com.

Before I get into my topic for the day, I just wanted to thank everyone for their birthday wishes yesterday. Nothing like a few thousand emails to highlight the fact that I'm one year closer to the grave.

Special appreciation goes out to the folks who noted that while I might be old, I'm still not even remotely as old as Lar (he's very old). When you're facing the abyss, it's surprising how comforting it can be knowing that someone is going to reach it before you, statistically speaking.

I may be a couple of weeks late with this, but what's on my mind this morning happens to be Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen. Specifically, the reviews.

For months, like everyone else with a childhood entrenched in the 80s, I was greatly anticipating the release of the new Transformers movie. The first one was a great ride, and the blu-ray sits proudly on my rack of honor (right above the rack of shame, where Babylon AD sits).

As the sequel got closer to its worldwide release, the reviews began pouring in, almost universally negative. The acting was bad, the dialogue was laughable, certain characters were deemed as blatant racism and the plot was non-existent. Suffice it to say, I was rather discouraged. Yet still, as the devoted dork that I am, I still went to see the film the week it came out.

And I loved it.

It was fun, I laughed more than I have at other films that filed themselves as 'comedies', I went 'holy shite' a few times and I was thoroughly entertained. In short, it was everything I hoped it would be, and everything a summer blockbuster should be. Say what you will about Michael Bay, he's the reason why they invented Blu-Ray.

After the movie, while we were discussing how many times we saw Megan Fox run in slow motion (and how that was nowhere near enough), I began to wonder about the disconnect between my feelings towards the film and the others I had read beforehand.

I think I've come up with a conclusion.

Not every film is going to be an Oscar Winner, not every film tries to be. Why does every movie need to wow us with its use of language, or showcase an actor that does nothing more than glower at the camera for 3+ hours? Why can't some movies, just be movies, with the sole intention to entertain?

Why do I need to leave a theatre feeling depressed at the human condition, or the state of the world? Like all of you, my brain is active from the moment my eyes open to lizard-like slits in the morning until the instant I begin snoring at night. Shutting my brain off for a couple of hours in a dark theatre is a treat.

Transformers 2 was a spectacle, a visual delight, and I was entertained. That's more than enough for me.

For those who were expecting or demanding a Shakespearean effort, let me remind you what the subject matter is: Alien robots that turn into cars.

And sometimes planes.

A little escape-ism is never a bad thing, and it's nothing to look down upon or to be ashamed of enjoying.

- Because I can.

Quote of the Day

\"You know what my father was? A wheel! The first wheel! And do you know what he transformed into? Nothing! But he did it with honor!\"
-Jetfire, from Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen(2009)

Philosopher B.

Awesome Ebert blog. Just awesome. Except for this part:

Ebert said:
When a reader wrote to inform me that Michel Bay paid $8 million to the writers of the screenplay, I very much doubted it. Turns out that figure is correct.
8 million for Transformers 2's screenplay.

$8 million

$8 million

$8 million

*Swoons*

Shawn

Shawn

Philosopher B. said:

Ebert said:
When a reader wrote to inform me that Michel Bay paid $8 million to the writers of the screenplay, I very much doubted it. Turns out that figure is correct.

$8 million

$8 million

$8 million

*Swoons*
Looks like I should put together a script for a third one really quick like.

Philosopher B.

Shawnacy said:
Philosopher B. said:

Ebert said:

$8 million

$8 million

$8 million

*Swoons*
I'm thinking of typing one with my ass. That should get me a couple extra mil.

Shawn

Shawn

Philosopher B. said:
Shawnacy said:
[quote="Philosopher B.":1t7yy27d]Awesome Ebert blog. Just awesome. Except for this part:

Ebert said:

$8 million

$8 million

$8 million

*Swoons*
I'm thinking of typing one with my a**. That should get me a couple extra mil.[/quote:1t7yy27d]
I don't think those are the "explosions" the script calls for.

Steven Soderburgin

Shawnacy said:
Thought I would post Sohmer's review of Transformers 2 from his blog post at http://www.leasticoulddo.com.
Good to know that his opinions on film are just as terrible as his comic.

Dieb

Dieb

Shawnacy said:
Wow, that strawman must be in the hospital, because it got BEAT DOWN.

Now, to reiterate something I wrote in the last thread: I haven't seen the movie. I do not intend to see the movie. Therefore I cannot pass judgement on it. Could be good, could be bad, I don't know, and I don't particularly care. But that review you just posted...The author asks "Why can't some movies, just be movies, with the sole intention to entertain?" From what I've read, people disliked the movie because it didn't entertain them. Plain and simple.

But apparently, for this reviewer, if a movie is escapist, if it has explosions+hot people, it's automatically entertaining. After all, the only reason people could dislike it if they are snooty people who love art films. Pretty much the definition of a strawman argument. Put words in people's mouths and then attack those words. If you find the movie entertaining, whatever, say so and state your reasons why, but don't say that people who disliked it must hate escapist etertainment. It makes the rest of your argument seem foolish.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I for one prefer my escapism with less retarded stapled on...

And the movie would have been so much better if they just skipped the plot entirely instead of paying people too much money for something that no one really care about anyhow.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Kissinger said:
Shawnacy said:
How you could be so contridictory in a single sentence baffles me.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Shawnacy said:

I laughed more than I have at other films that filed themselves as 'comedies'
Yeah, no wonder his comic is a Mary Sue laden mess that tries to out B^U Cad.

-- Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:34 am --

Kissinger said:
Shawnacy said:
Uhh...what he said.

:paranoid:

Shannow

Shannow

Dieb said:
Shawnacy said:
Wow, that strawman must be in the hospital, because it got BEAT DOWN.

Now, to reiterate something I wrote in the last thread: I haven't seen the movie. I do not intend to see the movie. Therefore I cannot pass judgement on it. Could be good, could be bad, I don't know, and I don't particularly care. But that review you just posted...The author asks "Why can't some movies, just be movies, with the sole intention to entertain?" From what I've read, people disliked the movie because it didn't entertain them. Plain and simple.

But apparently, for this reviewer, if a movie is escapist, if it has explosions+hot people, it's automatically entertaining. After all, the only reason people could dislike it if they are snooty people who love art films. Pretty much the definition of a strawman argument. Put words in people's mouths and then attack those words. If you find the movie entertaining, whatever, say so and state your reasons why, but don't say that people who disliked it must hate escapist etertainment. It makes the rest of your argument seem foolish.

Thats what I pretty much got out of that. But hey, people take Sohmers words as gospel on a lot of topics, I have noticed. And he loves to throw his opinions out there about anything and everything, so meh.

Espy

Espy

Shawnacy said:
Thought I would post Sohmer's review of Transformers 2
Thanks!
See, I wanted a crappy review and I got one! I couldn't be happier. It was really uninteresting and full of crappy arguments and I loved it!
:tongue:

*don't take me to seriously, I'm just goofing around... I disagree with him but I'm glad he liked it. Most people did. Most people like a lot of things.

Shannow

Shannow

Espy said:
*don't take me to seriously, I'm just goofing around... I disagree with him but I'm glad he liked it. Most people did. Most people like a lot of things.
It is true, most people like a lot of th- HOLY CRAP, A BLUE CAR!!!

Espy

Espy

I bet you wanted to see a blue car and you got one so you are happy.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I give Ebert props, that was a great article. Does not change my mind about the movie though, I was entertained, and no matter what other people think of the movie, I am going to keep that feeling. :tongue:

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

goddammit.

I kept a running diary.

my hand during this shit said:
two other people here
Paint it black on radio
cartoon pre-show will likely be highlight of my day

"damn i'm good"
"punk-ass decepticon"
still can't see shit
oh good the Witwickys
if you knew, I'd have to kill you badge
at least 5 shots of dogs fucking
this is so fucking....
blood, sweat, and precious metals

writers have never been high ever
Fox is literally the worst actress
same shitty love theme
music is all the worst
oh good this joke (?)
the movie literally can't count

robot satan
exposition
oh no, the dean, punk'd
poor dwight
italian goombah robot
"kiss this, bitch"
this is fucking gross
forest dangerously close to a good scene but too fast, muddled, no weight to anything

lol decepticons hate USA
Pearl Harbor 2: Pearl Harder
title check. good, sam's parents again
Obama to central bunker
homophobia
oh nooo, not diplomacy
can't negotiate with decepticons
Tyrese - "this guy is a real ASS-hole"
FUCK ME 1/2 way??
fuck fuck fuck
"you a pussy. sashay"

racism? arab w/ bad teeth
swine flu - timely
good, john turturro's ass
comic relief, nut tasers
ugh. old UK bot
we have robot humping
Leo - "ow my balls"
jesus christ, he just ordered more exposition. robot satan
holy shit - more racism. a midget.
when did this movie become national treasure

1h left? oh god
Fox has same expression on her face the whole movie
meanwhile, in an Army commercial
Leo tasered, then they immediately forgot
I am intensely bored.
Devastator - a little cool.
Fox covering her face is an acting improvement
"we gotta jump!"
"bad mother(boom)"
parents out of nowhere
slow motion's the only time you can tell anything

EMOTIONAL FAMILY CORE
meanwhile, in Top Gun
"save a gazillion lives"
deus ex rail gun
puzzling shitty slow-mo running
Rescuing civilians, lol only the white people
"too old for this crap"
"directly below enemy scrotum"
so much explosions
so much slow-mo

oh good, her love. Megan Fox is acting
ROBOT GOD ROBOT JESUS
Sam Prime. haha, WTF fallen
Super optimus time
"I rise, you fall"
oh good another message
FUCK MY LIFE

I
HATE
EVERY
THING

BULLSHIT

Shannow

Shannow

well, that about sums it up, right there.

Tress

Tress

Charlie Dont Surf said:
goddammit.

I kept a running diary.

[quote="my hand during this poop":mp5vrfb4]
the movie literally can't count
forest dangerously close to a good scene but too fast, muddled, no weight to anything
lol decepticons hate USA
Pearl Harbor 2: Pearl Harder
meanwhile, in an Army commercial
meanwhile, in Top Gun
Rescuing civilians, lol only the white people
ROBOT GOD ROBOT JESUS
[/quote:mp5vrfb4]
I think that pretty much sums it up.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Shannow. Damn.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

No, I loved the part when they got super serious about rescuing civilians(the male and female leads) after several dozen egyptians got massacred a foot away from them.

Espy

Espy

Nice review.

So why aren't you happy Charlie? You wanted to see a extremely shitty and insulting movie and you saw one, right? So you should be happy?

Tress

Tress

Espy said:
Nice review.

So why aren't you happy Charlie? You wanted to see a extremely shitty and insulting movie and you saw one, right? So you should be happy?

ElJuski

ElJuski

We're all masochistic. Some people burn themselves while masturbating. Charlie watches Transformers 2.

Espy

Espy

I don't think that cat really knows what I did. Sure, it LOOKS wise and all but it's a cat. Just a cat.

Cajungal

Cajungal

HAH! YOU SAW IT! :D Awful, no? Well, I read the list.

Adam

Adammon

The movie could have been drastically improved by splitting it up into two movies and laying off of the caffeine for much of it. Once [spoiler:1vvf4ahh]Prime gets killed[/spoiler:1vvf4ahh], make everyone look sad, and then roll credits. Or even [spoiler:1vvf4ahh]when Megatron gets resurrected[/spoiler:1vvf4ahh], make everyone look scared, and then roll credits.

By introducing so much filler, and then piling on the sugar-coated candy FX, it really makes the whole movie uneven. There was much good in the movie, even [spoiler:1vvf4ahh]the over the top acting from the parents in Act 3 when it becomes clear that Sam has to do something by himself[/spoiler:1vvf4ahh] helped save Megan Fox from her own terrible acting.

-- Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:46 pm --

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Adammon said:
[spoiler:1gmdljr2]the over the top acting from the parents in Act 3 when it becomes clear that Sam has to do something by himself[/spoiler:1gmdljr2] helped save Megan Fox from her own terrible acting.

The movie didn't earn that moment at all, in any way whatsoever. The parents mention that sort of thing in the first 10 minutes, then it's COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN FOR TWO AND A HALF HOURS, then all of a sudden you get this dramatic family core climactic moment that is supposed to mean something and show change in the character. Nope. Sorry. The robot that humped Megan Fox's leg had a more satisfying arc.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Charlie Dont Surf said:
The robot that humped Megan Fox's leg had a more satisfying arc.
My GOD, the humping. There was less of it in Basic Instinct.

Adam

Adammon

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Adammon said:
[spoiler:3lsvd0gw]the over the top acting from the parents in Act 3 when it becomes clear that Sam has to do something by himself[/spoiler:3lsvd0gw] helped save Megan Fox from her own terrible acting.

The movie didn't earn that moment at all, in any way whatsoever. The parents mention that sort of thing in the first 10 minutes, then it's COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN FOR TWO AND A HALF HOURS, then all of a sudden you get this dramatic family core climactic moment that is supposed to mean something and show change in the character. Nope. Sorry. The robot that humped Megan Fox's leg had a more satisfying arc.
While I agree it kind of hung out there unearned, parents loving their kid isn't much of an arc to develop ;) I think it was actually meant to be played as a joke like the piece from Act 1 was and Mr Bay accidently replaced Yakkity Sax with "Generic Dramatic Sad Music"

Espy

Espy

Adammon said:
There was much good in the movie
Now... hold on a second... could you explain this? Because right after this you refer to something that, in your own words, was "over the top" so... I'm worried about what you are defining as "good". Bad acting is "good"? What exactly in this trainwreck was "good"? A lot of people have been saying a lot of things around here but so far no one can seem to explain what was "good" other than "AWESOME! ROBOTS! FIGHTING! TITS!".

Vagabond

V.Bond

Espy said:
.....so far no one can seem to explain what was "good" other than "AWESOME! ROBOTS! FIGHTING! TITS!".
Isn't that enough? :smug:

Espy

Espy

You know, I love strawberries. I really do. I love them on cheesecake, I love a good strawberry margarita... I mean, damn, you can do so much with strawberries.
So it stands to reason, that if a desert or dish has strawberries I'm gonna like it, right? I mean, that should be enough for me right?
The other day I ordered this nice big plate of sashimi. Mmmm. It came with soy sauce dipped strawberries. Grossest thing I have ever had, and I love strawberries.
So I guess... just cause something you love is in front of you doesn't mean it don't stink. :Leyla:

Cajungal

Cajungal

:thumbsup:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Espy said:
You know, I love strawberries. I really do. I love them on cheesecake, I love a good strawberry margarita... I mean, damn, you can do so much with strawberries.
So it stands to reason, that if a desert or dish has strawberries I'm gonna like it, right? I mean, that should be enough for me right?
The other day I ordered this nice big plate of sashimi. Mmmm. It came with soy sauce dipped strawberries. Grossest thing I have ever had, and I love strawberries.
So I guess... just cause something you love is in front of you doesn't mean it don't stink. :Leyla:
Sometimes you need to just shut off your brain and enjoy the food, man.

Vagabond

V.Bond

Espy said:
So, the strawberries were still awesome, but it was the mixture with soy sauce that displeased you.

Do you see what I'm getting at here?

that is to say, absolutley nothing at all

Krisken

Krisken

Vagabond said:
Espy said:
So, the strawberries were still awesome, but it was the mixture with soy sauce that displeased you.

Do you see what I'm getting at here?

that is to say, absolutley nothing at all
Not only that, but some people would say that you would be wrong for liking it yourself.

Gusto

Gusto

Fuck strawberries. Yay tits and/or robots. Don't matter which.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So I guess... just cause something you love is in front of you doesn't mean it don't stink.
The fact they were serving it probably means someone, other then you, actually likes strawberries with soy source. Foreign concept, I know.

Really, if you are going to make a metaphor, then Transformers 2 is like Fast Food. The food itself is pretty damn crappy as a whole, you are not really getting anything deep out of eating a double quarter-pounder with cheese, and you definitely don't want to eat it anywhere near a regular basis.

However, sometimes, on a few days out of the year, you just want to have that hamburger, or those nuggets, or that spicy chicken sandwich because it tastes good, regardless of the general quality. It tastes good and you go in that drive through, mouth watering, and you will think this is going to be the best whopper you ever ate, because sometimes something crappy can taste good in the end.

I see Transformers 2 as something like that. I just wanted to go in and watch something ridiculous, downright "greasy" action that would stop my heart from all that cheese, and I was not disappointed. I can go back to my caesar salads and my vitamin water next week, and enjoy them all the better because I know I just saw and enjoyed a movie that was so damn low on the overall quality scale that everything else beyond it might seem like Citizen Kane.

But oh no! I said I liked the movie again, time to start up the flame throwers. :popcorn:

Steven Soderburgin

Have you ever even seen Citizen Kane?

Shannow

Shannow

Good metaphor..but you forgot the part of it where the fast food was smothered with dog shit.

Gusto

Gusto

Yeah at least I find fast food appetizing.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Kissinger said:
My guess is you took my comment completely serious? That is a shame.

Good metaphor..but you forgot the part of it where the fast food was smothered with dog poop.
Have to agree to disagree on that point, you have made it very clear you hate the movie, and good for you, you have an opinion! :smug: :thumbsup:

Steven Soderburgin

So you haven't seen it, then.

-- Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:30 pm --

It's okay.

You probably wouldn't like it.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Kissinger said:
You probably wouldn't like it.
:pud:

Still on my top ten list of all time great movies. Nice try though.

Steven Soderburgin

*~*~*~*~*~* TRAP SPRUNG :smug: TRAP SPRUNG :smug: TRAP SPRUNG :smug: TRAP SPRUNG :smug: TRAP SPRUNG :smug: TRAP SPRUNG :smug: TRAP SPRUNG :smug: TRAP SPRUNG :smug: TRAP SPRUNG *~*~*~*~*~*

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

:popcorn:

Shannow

Shannow

ScytheRexx said:
Kissinger said:
My guess is you took my comment completely serious? That is a shame.

Good metaphor..but you forgot the part of it where the fast food was smothered with dog poop.
Have to agree to disagree on that point, you have made it very clear you hate the movie, and good for you, you have an opinion! :smug: :thumbsup:

:pud:

Steven Soderburgin

:pud: :pud: :pud: :pud: :pud: :pud: :pud: :pud: :pud: :pud:

Krisken

Krisken

Wow, with all the pud smilies, the quality of this thread is looking up!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Come on, guys. Let's calm down and stop this from turning into just another flame war. Perhaps we should turn our attention to upcoming films? Maybe discuss those coming out later this summer?

Steven Soderburgin

Krisken said:
If that's what you think quality is....

Oh, wait, you liked Transformers 2.

-- Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:49 pm --

filmfanatic said:
Come on, guys. Let's calm down and stop this from turning into just another flame war. Perhaps we should turn our attention to upcoming films? Maybe discuss those coming out later this summer?
I am eager to hear which films you are looking forward to, filmfanatic.

Shannow

Shannow

Well, in a thread about transformers 2, we are going to be putting our opinions of the movie there.

-- Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:50 pm --

I thought Krisken did not like it.

Krisken

Krisken

Kissinger said:
Krisken said:
If that's what you think quality is....

Oh, wait, you liked Transformers 2.
Here, let me help you with that.

:pud: :pud: :pud:

-- Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:51 pm --

Shannow said:
Well, in a thread about transformers 2, we are going to be putting our opinions of the movie there.

-- Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:50 pm --

I thought Krisken did not like it.
I said it was really bad, but I can understand why others would like it. Hell, I shrugged off all the bad parts (most of it) and liked the fight scenes.

What can I say, that's what I was there for.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I think Krisken has said like 4 times now that he didn't like the movie.

Krisken

Krisken

CynicismKills said:
I think Krisken has said like 4 times now that he didn't like the movie.
It is kinda funny how I get lumped in like that because I think other people can like it even though I felt it was very cringe worthy.

Maybe it's because I said it wasn't as bad as Batman and Robin. :D

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

kissinger said:
filmfanatic said:
I am eager to hear which films you are looking forward to, filmfanatic.
Well, what I plan to catch in theaters this summer includes:
Bruno
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
District 9
Ponyo
Inglourious Basterds

With the exceptions of G.I. Joe and Inglourious Basterds, I'm quite excited for them. G.I. Joe has not been looking stellar, but I'm willing to give it a try. I still don't know what to make of Inglourious Basterds, as my opinion is constantly shifting between "looks like some Tarantino fun" to "dear god, not another Tarantino pastiche".

Vagabond

V.Bond

Shannow said:
Oh, that's what this thread is?

I thought it was some bizarre forum version of limp biscuit, and I didn't want to come in last.

Steven Soderburgin

Krisken said:
It is kinda funny how I get lumped in like that because I think other people can like it even though I felt it was very cringe worthy.

I think I see where my confusion was. I was skimming through the other thread, saw you saying something like "I liked the fight scenes, and that's what I was there for," and equated it to the people saying "I wanted robots fighting and I got it so I wasn't disappointed!!!!!"

Also, I didn't read like 10 pages of that other thread so probably missed somewhere where you had clarified or something.

So, I was wrong. Had I been correct, my above post about the quality of the thread would've been awesome and hilarious. :)

-- Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:58 pm --

filmfanatic said:
Well, what I plan to catch in theaters this summer includes:
Bruno
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
District 9
Ponyo
Inglourious Basterds

With the exceptions of G.I. Joe and Inglourious Basterds, I'm quite excited for them. G.I. Joe has not been looking stellar, but I'm willing to give it a try. I still don't know what to make of Inglourious Basterds, as my opinion is constantly shifting between "looks like some Tarantino fun" to "dear god, not another Tarantino pastiche".
I see. Everyone should keep discussing the movies they're looking forward to.

I'll be over here.

Taking notes.

Judging.

Krisken

Krisken

Vagabond said:
Shannow said:
Oh, that's what this thread is?

I thought it was some bizarre forum version of limp biscuit, and I didn't want to come in last.
:eek: :puke: :bush:
Kissinger said:
Krisken said:

I think I see where my confusion was. I was skimming through the other thread, saw you saying something like "I liked the fight scenes, and that's what I was there for," and equated it to the people saying "I wanted robots fighting and I got it so I wasn't disappointed!!!!!"

Also, I didn't read like 10 pages of that other thread so probably missed somewhere where you had clarified or something.

So, I was wrong. Had I been correct, my above post about the quality of the thread would've been awesome and hilarious. :)
That it would have, sir. :)

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I like the cut of your jib Krisken.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Kissinger said:
Everyone should keep discussing the movies they're looking forward to.

I'll be over here.

Taking notes.

Judging.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

It got lost in the latest round of screaming and bullying, but it bears repeating...

HARRY POTTER WILL KICK OPTIMUS PRIME'S ASS.

at the box office...

Shannow

Shannow

DarkAudit said:
It got lost in the latest round of screaming and bullying
Bullying? Ah suh, am offened! An' Ah, Ah say, Ah Chall-lunge you to a dooo-al, suh!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Adam

Adammon

Espy said:
Adammon said:
There was much good in the movie
Now... hold on a second... could you explain this? Because right after this you refer to something that, in your own words, was "over the top" so... I'm worried about what you are defining as "good". Bad acting is "good"? What exactly in this trainwreck was "good"? A lot of people have been saying a lot of things around here but so far no one can seem to explain what was "good" other than "AWESOME! ROBOTS! FIGHTING! *!".
Good parts:
FX (A.k.a. Total Fucking Destruction)
Characters were quite a bit more like their cartoon counterparts than the first movie. (Megatron and Starscream interaction)
Peter Cullen actually forced to voice act a bit more.
Soundwave (Sounding a bit like Dr Claw unfortunately)
Ravage's attack on the shard.
Devastator's introduction.
No Frenzy
Interesting concepts introduced: hive mind bots (Arcee), combiners (Devastator), Pretenders (School chick)
Music (Transformers soundtrack - no not linkin park, the actually orchestrals) far surpass the soundtrack disaster that was Star Trek.
Interesting cinematography - the pyramids, the sinking of the carrier

There's lots of good stuff.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Adammon said:
Good parts:
FX (A.k.a. Total Fucking Destruction)
nope.
Characters were quite a bit more like their cartoon counterparts than the first movie. (Megatron and Starscream interaction)
they had maybe a 2 minute scene where they basically belched out exposition in the most obvious way short of it scrolling on the screen
Peter Cullen actually forced to voice act a bit more.
I didn't notice this at all.
Soundwave (Sounding a bit like Dr Claw unfortunately)
I don't remember anything about him.
Ravage's attack on the shard.
I don't know who ravage was considering everyone looked the same. I'm going to guess he was the robot made out of balls? That was good as an FX demo at best.
Devastator's introduction.
I'll give you that, but then absolutely nothing interesting happened.
No Frenzy
there also wasn't a 80 minute sex scene between john goodman and roseanne barr
Interesting concepts introduced: hive mind bots (Arcee), combiners (Devastator), Pretenders (School chick)
Nothing about these concepts were realized or made interesting in any way
Music (Transformers soundtrack - no not linkin park, the actually orchestrals) far surpass the soundtrack disaster that was Star Trek.
The only thing I remember about the soundtrack was two Green Day songs played all the time.
this point is completely wrong and makes me think you don't know what cinematography is.

There's lots of good stuff.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAOxY_nHdew:2at26qhi][/youtube:2at26qhi]

Just replace the verbage and nouns with saw, heard, movie and Michael Bay.

Adam

Adammon

Charlie Dont Surf said:
this point is completely wrong and makes me think you don't know what cinematography is.
Oh fuck off.

The sinking of the carrier was filmed underwater with explosions and the sun backlighting the destruction. Cinematography.

The movement of the camera (sometimes overwhelming). Cinematography.

Being able to actually film on and at the pyramids meant seeing something upclose in HD that many people will never get to see and the lightning of it for dramatic effect. Cinematography.

Yeah, I don't know what Cinematography is, retard.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Overwhelming is right. I had to put my head between my legs for all of the spinny scenes. :puke:

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I'm gonna guess Bay did the pyramids stuff with CGI considering nearly every shot of them was actively destroying them.

Krisken

Krisken

Charlie Dont Surf said:
I'm gonna guess Bay did the pyramids stuff with CGI considering nearly every shot of them was actively destroying them.
I don't know, he's pretty dedicated to destruction. Did you see that plot?

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Krisken said:
Did you see that plot?
Nah, I blinked.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Okay, I've done some more thinking on Transformers 2 and here is my opinion on the subject of the film.

Was it a bad film? Yes it was. Am I going to get the DVD to watch it later? No way. Do I regret having watched it? No, I don't.

Shannow

Shannow

Adammon said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Oh smurf off.

The sinking of the carrier was filmed underwater with explosions and the sun backlighting the destruction. Cinematography.

The movement of the camera (sometimes overwhelming). Cinematography.

Being able to actually film on and at the pyramids meant seeing something upclose in HD that many people will never get to see and the lightning of it for dramatic effect. Cinematography.

Yeah, I don't know what Cinematography is, retard.
You are right...bad cinematography is still cinematography.

-- Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:15 pm --

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Krisken said:
Did you see that plot?
Nah, I blinked.
:rimshot:

Steve

Steve

filmfanatic said:
Okay, I've done some more thinking on Transformers 2 and here is my opinion on the subject of the film.

Was it a bad film? Yes it was. Am I going to get the DVD to watch it later? No way. Do I regret having watched it? No, I don't.
Well, I didn't care for the movie a whole lot but I'll still get the DVD. I'm sure it'll be better the second time around. And here's hoping Michael Bay directs "Taken II" as his action would be over the top.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Steve said:
Well, I didn't care for the movie a whole lot but I'll still get the DVD. I'm sure it'll be better the second time around. And here's hoping Michael Bay directs "Taken II" as his action would be over the top.
Actually, I might get the DVD. I'd have to seriously consider it, though, because the first film was definitely better and there are occasions when I've gotten sequels on DVD that I shouldn't have.

Jay

Jay

This movie is awesome.

Alucard

Your not serious right? ^

Chippy

Chippy

PhantomShadow said:
Your not serious right? ^
His not serious right what?

ElJuski

ElJuski

filmfanatic said:

Sometimes you have to look into the chasm of horror to perceive the rest of the world. The romantic gothics did it; now, must we, in order to /feel/.

Or some shit like that.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

ElJuski said:
filmfanatic said:

Sometimes you have to look into the chasm of horror to perceive the rest of the world. The romantic gothics did it; now, must we, in order to /feel/.

Or some shit like that.

ElJuski

ElJuski

hot dang you are quick and good :zoid:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

ElJuski said:
Some people do useful things with free time.

Not me though, no sir. I surf the Wild Internets for images with which to convey my feelings.

ElJuski

ElJuski

CynicismKills said:
ElJuski said:

Not me though, no sir. I surf the Wild Internets for images with which to convey my feelings.
so into you :zoid: :zoid:

Chippy

Chippy

ElJuski said:
CynicismKills said:
ElJuski said:

:angry:

Philosopher B.

CynicismKills said:
:rofl: Love that last panel.

That reminds me a little of a PA comic. Except it was about beards.

Mr_Chaz

Charlie Dont Surf said:
there also wasn't a 80 minute sex scene between john goodman and roseanne barr

And suddenly, I like the film more. Purely by imagining (the horror) how much worse it could have been :p

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

ElJuski said:
CynicismKills said:
ElJuski said:

YOU ALL HAVE ZOIDBERG :zoid:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

CynicismKills said:
ElJuski said:
CynicismKills said:
ElJuski said:

Not me. I've already had my shots. :moon:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

DarkAudit said:
CynicismKills said:
ElJuski said:
CynicismKills said:

Not me. I've already had my shots. :moon:

@Li3n

@Li3n

Dear Mr. Bay

If you would be so kind to put it on the internet also, along with other such videos, i for one would nominated you for internet superhero.

Yours truly,
Random internet asshole

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/08/michael-bay-filmed-megan-fox-washing-his-ferrari-as-part-of-her/

Michael Bay may never win the Best Director Oscar, but he sure does know how to get the most out of his actors during their auditions. U.K. broadcaster Jason Solomons wrote in a recent column that Bay had Ms. Megan Fox wash his (unspecified) Ferrari at his home as part of her audition for her role in the first Transformers movie. And since Bay was doing \"official\" auditions, he apparently recorded every minute of it.

Solomons reportedly asked Fox if she knew where the footage was, and he says she was unsure where the footage was, adding that she was \"concerned\" as to where it may be. According to Solomons, Bay all but confirmed the tape's existence, allegedly saying \"Er, I don't know where it is either\" when asked by the broadcaster. Hmmm.

Since the role of Mikaela Banes required Fox to act as sexy as she already looks, we can see why Bay chose for her to wash a Ferrari as part of the audition, but the fact that the 'audition' took place at his home and the tape has gone missing does seem a bit \"casting couch\" to us. That said, we can think of few things we'd rather see than Megan Fox, a Ferrari, and a bunch of suds. What we don't understand, though, is why this footage wasn't part of our bonus footage in our special edition Transformers DVD.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Oh, so Michael Bay is kind of creepy and disgusting in addition to having no talent. Cool.

Gurpel

Gurpel

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Oh, so Michael Bay is kind of creepy and disgusting in addition to having no talent. Cool.
well, be honest here, if you were in a position to:

-have your ferrari washed
-watch megan fox wash your ferrari,

would you not take the opportunity?

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

If I were a director casting a movie, I wouldn't use my position of power to make an actress auditioning for a part wash my fucking car.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

All those fanbois wanting this to be the biggest moneymaker ever will be sorely disappointed. Not only did Bruno beat it in this weekend's box office, but so did Ice Age 3. And Harry Potter has yet to make his appearance.

It's over. It's all over. :moon:

@Li3n

@Li3n

Link pls... as i heard that last time Ice Age 3 didn't actually overtake TF2... it was just close.

Steven Soderburgin

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

These are weekend estimates. Actuals hitting this afternoon.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Wake me up when they do... hopefully with good news of that being right, at least for places.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Kissinger said:
http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

These are weekend estimates. Actuals hitting this afternoon.
Wow, that is honestly pretty God damn amazing.

Go Sacha Baron Cohen. That's awesome.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wow, Hangover is making some good cash for a comedy. Up is closing in on Transformers, too, slowly.