Export thread

Terry Prachett dead at 66

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

My collection of Discworld novels was far too small, but the ones I did have were cherished. :(

strawman

strawman

What? Noooooo....

bhamv3

bhamv3

No way... :eek:

Oh man...

tegid

tegid

Well fuck... I'm usually not affected by celebrity deaths but... ugh, crying a bit :(

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm in the middle of reading a Discworld novel right now. I've loved every one, and I will sorely miss there not being more to look forward to. Few people excel at satire as well as Pratchett did.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Thus passes one of most gifted modern satirists of the last century. So sad. :(

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I've only read one of his books so far, but I greatly enjoyed it. He's been struggling with Alzheimer's for quite a few years now.

My condolences to those of you who were big fans of his.

PatrThom

PatrThom

So appropriate.
The man had a flair for making me care about the most absurd things.
It was a gift.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Wait, no. I remember now. I read The Colour of Magic when I was in the hospital back in Oct. 2013.

That hilarious book helped me through a very difficult time in my life. I couldn't put it down.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I've only read the first two and I'm almost done the third, but everytime I explain the world this man created to people I always smiled. Rest in peace.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Those final tweets, ugh.

He's been my favorite author since I was a kid, this sucks. If you haven't seen it, I really recommend the documentary he did on assisted death (Terry Pratchett: Choosing To Die) and how he dealt with his disease. It's very good.

strawman

strawman

I'm more saddened that this is a suicide. :(

EDIT: Reports elsewhere say, "The author had succumbed to a chest infection earlier this year, which gradually worsened. He passed away on March 12th."

PatrThom

PatrThom

I suspected as much, but hadn't seen anything outright confirming it. The few things I've seen so far are carefully worded to leave the possibility open without actually suggesting that's what happened.

--Patrick

strawman

strawman

I suspected as much, but hadn't seen anything outright confirming it. The few things I've seen so far are carefully worded to leave the possibility open without actually suggesting that's what happened.

--Patrick
He started the process back in 2011. Last year he was forced to cancel an appearance due to Alzheimers. The fact that he himself tweeted immediately prior to his death, and the various notices are very carefully sidestepping the cause of death indicates that he went through with it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Which make sense, given the possible repercussions for anyone who might be suspected of assisting him.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I knew of his documentary, and his preference, and of course those all increase the likelihood, but I hadn't seen any official/credible source come right out and state that that's what happened, so I still have to technically refer to it as "probable but unconfirmed" until otherwise.

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm not going to start a debate in this thread, but there's a damn big difference between this and something like Robin William's suicide.

I'm saddened that a disease was taking his life. I'm glad that he was able to pass with dignity and on his own terms rather than letting a horrible disease tear him apart piece by piece.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

--Patrick
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31858156
Despite campaigning for assisted suicide after his diagnosis, Sir Terry's publishers said he did not take his own life.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Like I said. No matter how strongly I suspect something to be true, I don't consider it Truth until I hear about it from a source I Trust (to give me correct info). It's the difference between a representation and a warranty.
It's sometimes frustrating to my peers, but I sleep better at night.

--Patrick

strawman

strawman

Probably not assisted suicide:

"The author had succumbed to a chest infection earlier this year, which gradually worsened. He passed away on March 12th."

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I think it's likely that the tweets sent on Terry Pratchett's official account were written by his daughter after the fact, considering that he has been unable to use a word processor in recent times due to the progression of his illness, and especially considering that she sent the same tweets on her own account.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/terry-pratchetts-final-poignant-tweet-5321384

Eriol

Eriol

Now he'll get to see if it really is "Turtles, all the way down"?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Sad to lose someone so brilliant to a disease that attacks the mind.

I only read half a book written by Terry, (Good Omens.) I need to read much more.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Now he'll get to see if it really is "Turtles, all the way down"?
Ooo, I can't wait for the editorial cartoons.[DOUBLEPOST=1426182977,1426182909][/DOUBLEPOST]
I only read half a book [co]written by Terry, (Good Omens.) I need to read much more.
I find it difficult to believe that you started reading that book but were not somehow compelled to finish it. It's quality stuff.

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I find it difficult to believe that you started reading that book but were not somehow compelled to finish it. It's quality stuff.

--Patrick
No, no, the whole book.

fade

fade

Well, that stinks.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Just Eric

Just Eric

I have few words to say for I was unfortunate to have never read the novels. I did thoroughly enjoy though, 1 & a half of the 2 games (that I know of) that came out.

... Doh.

... <<
... >>
Monkey.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I have few words to say for I was unfortunate to have never read the novels. I did thoroughly enjoy though, 1 & a half of the 2 games (that I know of) that came out.

... Doh.

... <<
... >>
Monkey.
Hey that's right. Maybe I should dig out and finish my copy of Discworld.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Man I'd forgotten about that, I was wondering why I'd always read Rincewind in Eric Idle's voice.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Yeah, it's not just novels that were good. "The Hogfather" made a pretty good BBC miniseries. I know there are more, but I haven't seen them.

Oooh, there are stage adaptations of Discword. I wonder how I could get ahold of the scripts. I bet there are some fantastic monologues I could use for auditions. Anyone know where to start looking?

chris

chris

Sad, really really sad. :(
Have some of his novels, watched the movies and think I should re-read some of the stories.

I also found this quote by Pratchett on the front page of the L-Space and laughed.

One day I'll be dead and THEN you'll all be sorry.
-- (Terry Pratchett, 28 Nov 1992, on alt.fan.pratchett)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hogfather and Colour of Magic were on Netflix at one point, but unfortunately aren't up for streaming now. Both were pretty solid, Hogfather especially.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Hogfather and Colour of Magic were on Netflix at one point, but unfortunately aren't up for streaming now. Both were pretty solid, Hogfather especially.
Still available on Netflix DVD though..thanks for the reminder. Both added to the queue and should arrive Monday

Emrys

Emrys

Noooooooo! <sob>

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

Still available on Netflix DVD though..thanks for the reminder. Both added to the queue and should arrive Monday
Also Going Postal was available via streaming, darn this year is off to bad start for celebrity deaths.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

"All the little angels rise up, rise up.
All the little angels rise up high!
How do they rise up, rise up, rise up?
How do they rise up, rise up high?
They rise heads up, heads up, heads up, they rise heads up, heads up high!"

That's a nice song,' said young Sam, and Vimes remembered that he was hearing it for the first time.
'It's an old soldiers' song,' he said.
'Really, sarge? But it's about angels.'
Yes, thought Vimes, and it's amazing what bits those angels cause to rise up as the song progresses. It's a real soldiers' song: sentimental, with dirty bits.
'As I recall, they used to sing it after battles,' he said. I've seen old men cry when they sing it,' he added.
'Why? It sounds cheerful.'

They were remembering who they were not singing it with, thought Vimes.
You'll learn. I know you will.

Emrys

Emrys

Night Watch is definitely my favourite.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Reaper Man's always been mine, but Mort and Soul Music are close. Pretty much any of the Death books or Vimes books are pure gold.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Hogfather is available on Amazon Instant Video, as is Color of Magic and Going Postal.

edit: Well NOT Going Postal, says currently not available.

fade

fade

I can't really pick a favorite. I was always partial to the Colour of Magic, even though it wasn't his most polished. I like Rincewind, and I always secretly cheered for him. I also like the beginnings of things.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well shit :(

This one has me actually crying, and that hasn't happened since...ehh...My grandmother? I think?

Time to buy Raising Steam and complete my collection I guess :(

Siska

Siska

He was my favorite author. I am really going to miss new stories out of Lancre and Ankh-Morepork.

Death said:
REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW DO THE LITTLE HORSEY ONES MOVE?

Bubble181

Bubble181

He was my favorite author. I am really going to miss new stories out of Lancre and Ankh-Morepork.

Pratchett doesn't play chess, he plays checkers. /pratchettnerrd ;)

PatrThom

PatrThom

Pratchett doesn't play chess, he plays checkers. /pratchettnerrd ;)
Yes, but Death does.
That's why he has to ask Death to remind him how the horsey pieces move.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yes, but Death does.
That's why he has to ask Death to remind him how the horsey pieces move.

--Patrick
In that case, neither of them are going to know how to move the horsey pieces.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey, for all I know they're actually playing checkers, but using chess pieces.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Pulling this back up for some news, Pratchett's daughter will not write, nor allow anyone else to write, Discworld novels.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Pulling this back up for some news, Pratchett's daughter will not write, nor allow anyone else to write, Discworld novels.
See, there are some series that I do wish would have lasted beyond their creator's death... Redwall for one, if only because we STILL haven't gotten a proper movie for it. But given the anthology nature of Discworld, I'm more than happy to let it lie where it's at and hope the upcoming movies turn out to be good.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Good, his was a unique voice and I don't think anyone could capture it and do the stories justice. Now... a Night's Watch TV series...... that would be fine.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Good, his was a unique voice and I don't think anyone could capture it and do the stories justice. Now... a Night's Watch TV series...... that would be fine.
I still wish Disney hadn't dropped their Mort adaption in pre-production. It was many of the many causalities of the "No more hand-drawn animation" shit that hit in the mid 2000's.

Bubble181

Bubble181

While it's sad some story lines won't get closure and the "unfinished" novels won't be finished, I have to say I'm glad. This could've easily turned into a disaster.

PatrThom

PatrThom

And if you had any ideas that someone else might finish the things he started, you can put those ideas to rest, as well.

--Patrick

Cog

Cog

Is it weird that I think that no more discworld stories is unfair... to the characters?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Is it weird that I think that no more discworld stories is unfair... to the characters?
Not at all, in my opinion.

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

Nope, I feel much the same.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

When I saw the Brazzelton and Pratchett together in the head line, my first thought was...

"Not again."

Eriol

Eriol

He's dead. Copyright no longer has any "motive" for somebody to create, as THEY'RE DEAD. Should be public domain now. That it isn't is a tragedy for culture in general IMO.

Wahad

Wahad

Things don't fall into public domain until 70 years after the author's death. So look forward to the Discworld Reboot in 2086, I guess.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

He's dead. Copyright no longer has any "motive" for somebody to create, as THEY'RE DEAD. Should be public domain now. That it isn't is a tragedy for culture in general IMO.
I'm not gonna go further in this thread, but I do respectfully disagree with you about this.

Eriol

Eriol

Things don't fall into public domain until 70 years after the author's death. So look forward to the Discworld Reboot in 2086, I guess.
That was exactly my point, the tragedy of perpetual copyright.
I'm not gonna go further in this thread, but I do respectfully disagree with you about this.
My reply to Wahad above is all I'll say. I agree it's a topic for another thread.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well, we did have a thread for that, but it aged out.

--Patrick