[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

On season 4 of Buffy/season one of Angel and I am LOVING how Spike is clearly evolving into the show's punching bag villain. I also saw the Oz leaving episode and it was insanely hard to watch.

I guess this counts as TV, because it originally aired on tv? Anyway, I watched the Star Wars Holiday Special. Or tried to. I got maybe an hour through it.

Ugghhhh... Lucas was right to burn this.

Orange is the New Black

I'm only two episodes in so far and it's great. It's damn great. It's also really nice to see Kate Mulgrew in something not-Star Trek for a change, because she's totally amazing as Red. She's probably my favourite character so far.

Orange is the New Black

I'm only two episodes in so far and it's great. It's damn great. It's also really nice to see Kate Mulgrew in something not-Star Trek for a change, because she's totally amazing as Red. She's probably my favourite character so far.
Red is awesome. Red should have captained the Voyager.

everyone ITT should do themselves a favor and bail on Dexter, I've read the spoilers, and they're godawful
Sadly the girlfriend watches too and Sundays have become that day to watch a bunch of shitty shows and Breaking Bad, which makes the shittiness seem even shittier. But, I guess it's a step up from before when it was just watch a bunch of shitty shows.

At this point, the only way for the show to redeem itself is to have a fully cybernetic Doakes show up and ambush-kill every terrible character. When he appears, he says his greatest line:

Sadly the girlfriend watches too and Sundays have become that day to watch a bunch of shitty shows and Breaking Bad, which makes the shittiness seem even shittier. But, I guess it's a step up from before when it was just watch a bunch of shitty shows.

At this point, the only way for the show to redeem itself is to have a fully cybernetic Doakes show up and ambush-kill every terrible character. When he appears, he says his greatest line:

THAT WOULD BE AWEOME.

And really at this point, why not? What do they have to lose? Certainly not a well written story.

Yes. Make this happen. I haven't watched Dexter for a few years now, but I'd come back for CyberDoakes.

Oh, I also finished Orange is the New Black last night. It was good! I still think House of Cards is the best Netflix offering though.
I agree. OSTNB is very good, but it's a step below House of Cards. Thats not a bad thing, they aren't all that far apart.
Look at it like this:

THE WIRE
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
BREAKING BAD/MAD MEN
l
l
l
l
DEXTER SEASON 1 & 2
HOUSE OF CARDS
ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK
THE WALKING DEAD
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
MASTERCHEF (Really, it's a good cooking competition.)
l
l
l
l
DEXTER SEASONS THAT AREN'T 1 & 2
l
EVERYTHING ELSE ON TV

This list was made by science. Science. Making you lists since 1725

Last edited:
I agree. OSTNB is very good, but it's a step below House of Cards. Thats not a bad thing, they aren't all that far apart.
Look at it like this:

THE WIRE
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
BREAKING BAD
l
l
l
l
DEXTER SEASON 1 & 2
HOUSE OF CARDS
ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK
THE WALKING DEAD
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
MASTERCHEF (Really, it's a good cooking competition.)
l
l
l
l
DEXTER SEASONS THAT AREN'T 1 & 2
l
EVERYTHING ELSE ON TV

This list was made by science. Science. Making you lists since 1725
I don't watch anything that you listed. Seriously.

I don't get HBO, won't ever.
I don't subscribe to Netflix, and probably won't.
I can't stand Gordon Ramsay's personality, I think he gives good advice, but despise "teachers" that yell at students.
I think that zombies are lame. (movies, books, comics... doesn't matter, I think they are lame)

DEXTER SEASONS THAT AREN'T 1 & 2 & 4
Fixed that for ya. Four was probably the absolute best Dexter ever got, with John Lithgow as the Emmy-winning big bad.

As far as The Wire goes, a friend of mine put it perfectly: There are two kinds of people in this world. People who believe The Wire is the greatest television show in history....and people who have not yet seen The Wire. :p

Oh yeah, 4 was pretty good. Good call Nick.

Oh and I don't gave HBo either. The Wire has been out in DVD for years.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been watching Teen Titans Go! because... I don't know why I'm still watching it. It's like train wreck awful. It's this weird mix of like 80% the team being jerks to each other, 5% random jokes that are actually funny, 5% obscure comic book references and 10% reminders that Teen Titans was awesome but not so much now.

The latest episode "Staff Meeting" just drives home how awful this series is. I know I'm not the target audience, but there's nothing "funny" to me about a hero acting like a villain. That's how Robin acts in this episode. It starts out with him merely psychotic, but by half-way through he's acting full-on Chaotic Evil, and it's complete bullshit. It's possible to do a comedy where the heroes are still trying to act like heroes. The Tick did it. Even Freakazoid was far more heroic than this.

I could talk for hours on ranking TV shows, but my general pantheon / Mt Rushmore of TV is probably The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and The Sopranos. Honorable mentions to The Shield, Deadwood, Arrested Development, Parks & Rec, The Office (both), Luther, Justified, Dexter 1 & 4, and Lost. Even then I'm probably leaving something huge out. I'm purposely leaving out new shows like The Americans, The Bridge, House of Cards, OITNB, New Girl, The Newsroom, and Girls.

I could talk for hours on ranking TV shows, but my general pantheon / Mt Rushmore of TV is probably The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and The Sopranos. Honorable mentions to The Shield, Deadwood, Arrested Development, Parks & Rec, The Office (both), Luther, Justified, Dexter 1 & 4, and Lost. Even then I'm probably leaving something huge out. I'm purposely leaving out new shows like The Americans, The Bridge, House of Cards, OITNB, New Girl, The Newsroom, and Girls.
Oh shit, I forgot Mad Men. FIXED now.

I've been watching Teen Titans Go! because... I don't know why I'm still watching it.
Easy, because in the back of your mind you think that if enough people watch it Warner Brothers will acknowledge that the series has a large following and bring back the original series! Or is that just my extremely insane hopeful fantasy?

And yeah while I was supportive of the show at first especially with Amy Wolfram writing some eps, I admit I feel conflicted on the show myself. While I like a some of the jokes(like that one where they all DIED that was hilarious) the new Titans are kinda dicks even for parody. Especially Robin, what the hell was up with that Staff meeting episode? I get that they were hoping for a funny beating like Ren beating George Liquor with an oar, but it really just felt like normal horrifying assault.

Easy, because in the back of your mind you think that if enough people watch it Warner Brothers will acknowledge that the series has a large following and bring back the original series! Or is that just my extremely insane hopeful fantasy?

And yeah while I was supportive of the show at first especially with Amy Wolfram writing some eps, I admit I feel conflicted on the show myself. While I like a some of the jokes(like that one where they all DIED that was hilarious) the new Titans are kinda dicks even for parody. Especially Robin, what the hell was up with that Staff meeting episode? I get that they were hoping for a funny beating like Ren beating George Liquor with an oar, but it really just felt like normal horrifying assault.
It is truly a shame what they've done to the Teen Titans with this series. It is a shame, considering how great the original Teen Titans series was.

...Why couldn't they have picked one of the DC Nation shorts to make into a show rather than this garbage? Why not Plastic Man? I know Tom Kenny's been dying to get a Plastic Man series off the ground.

It is truly a shame what they've done to the Teen Titans with this series. It is a shame, considering how great the original Teen Titans series was.

...Why couldn't they have picked one of the DC Nation shorts to make into a show rather than this garbage? Why not Plastic Man? I know Tom Kenny's been dying to get a Plastic Man series off the ground.
FUCK yes the world needs more Plastic man in the media, especially if it would have the same animation as the pilot.

Masterchef is very, very different from Hell's Kitchen. No one is a giant prick on there, it's actually a much more real cooking competition. Ramsey is much more the "real" Ramsey folks know from his older shows. It's just nice to see a show with minimal drama and a real focus on cooking.

Masterchef is very, very different from Hell's Kitchen. No one is a giant prick on there, it's actually a much more real cooking competition. Ramsey is much more the "real" Ramsey folks know from his older shows. It's just nice to see a show with minimal drama and a real focus on cooking.
So do you like Top Chef? TC has considerably less drama (most of the time), and high caliber contestants. I don't like MC, but my wife digs it. I would rather watch TC.

We have just finished up Endeavour series one. It was great! If you like Lewis, Morse, Foyle's War, then you should dig it.

So, I'm finally watching Hannibal, something I didn't want to do (strikes a little close to home). But under duress I've watched the first 3. Holy shit, it's good, twisted dark stuff.

Also, Scott Thompson is looking really good and healthy again, which is rad. Seeing him in an undeniably uncomedy roll is strange.

Reading about it, apparently David Tenant almost won the role as Lector. I'm very happy he didn't. Mads Mikkelson is about as eerie an actor there is and fits the role like a glove.

I'm glad NBC didn't cancel it since they had every reason to (really abysmal ratings), so dark that some of their more conservative affiliates won't run it. Seriously, how is this show on network television? The gore is by far the most graphic I've ever seen in a non cable show. I thought it was going to be watered down being on NBC but the only way you could tell it's not cable is the absence of fuck and HBO style constant pointless nudity, the violence and disturbing imagery is something else.

Last edited:
I wish NBC would consider how many people are watching their shows off their website when taking ratings into account. They'd find their shows have more viewers than they're aware of, viewers who have to sit through fucking long ads and shitty loading buffers, but still watch the shows anyway.

DAMMIT! How? How can you end Orange is the New Black like that?! I need the next season RIGHT FUCKING NOW, dammit!

But yeah, holy crap is this show amazing. So many great, likeable characters. For me, it's a toss-up between Red and Crazy Eyes. Although it's funny how the least interesting character is the main character. I's not that her story arc isn't interesting, but compared to the other characters and especially the actresses behind those characters? She can't even hold a candle to them.

DAMMIT! How? How can you end Orange is the New Black like that?! I need the next season RIGHT FUCKING NOW, dammit!

But yeah, holy crap is this show amazing. So many great, likeable characters. For me, it's a toss-up between Red and Crazy Eyes. Although it's funny how the least interesting character is the main character. I's not that her story arc isn't interesting, but compared to the other characters and especially the actresses behind those characters? She can't even hold a candle to them.
They need to be careful about how they deal with Piper, she's on the verge of becoming very unlikable. There's a difference between having a complex character (i.e. Don Draper or Walter White) and having a lead that people don't want to watch because of how unlikable they are.