Tabletop games for kids

Or instead of trains use planes and a world map with air routes. Call it "Ticket to Fly".

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Maybe "An Internet to Ride" where you put down fiber optic links through each country and throughout the world.
And then the US Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia strikes down Net Neutrality regulations and allows you to do all kinds of crazy things!

I played Descent tonight and it's totally D&D for beginners. As such I think it would make a great game for adults and adolescents to share. It seems daunting at first but it's generally very easy to get into and learn.

I'm looking into getting my son some games or even games we can play as a family. I want a basic RPG or a board game that isn't the usual toy store kid's game (Candyland, Life, Monopoly Jr., etc). Is Munchkin good for an 8 year old? Any other games you'd play with a child who around his age?
Sorry if this has been asked before. I didn't feel like searching.
SO I don't know if you're still looking for games but after spending all day painting the minis (optional), we started Campaign mode of Mice and Mystics today. My kids are 9 and 13 and had fun playing it, and it is also a D&D gateway drug

Thanks Dei! We've been playing Pathfinder and a D&D board game called Dungeon. Both kids love them. We bend or change some of the rules to make it easier to play. Lily just turned 6, so usually either Aussie or I will help her. We even got them their own sets of dice.

Thanks Dei! We've been playing Pathfinder and a D&D board game called Dungeon. Both kids love them. We bend or change some of the rules to make it easier to play. Lily just turned 6, so usually either Aussie or I will help her. We even got them their own sets of dice.
Dungeon is the gateway to D&D for many many a (pre)teen.

--Patrick

We play games with our 7 (about to be 8) year old and he loves the following (some have been mentioned and some were over the recommended age for him when we started playing so we had to help him out but within a game or to he was playing without help);

Catan Junior - as was previously mentioned, this version is simplified Catan but still retains a lot of what makes Catan great. It's pirate themed and plays in about a half an hour. He mastered this in one game.

Carcasonne - Simple tile placement game. Easy to learn, games are always different due to the map building element and plays in about an hour. We have a few mini-expansions for it too. He still needs a little help planning ahead but he loves build big cities.

Smallworld- Great theme elements and the variety of armies that you get mean that the games are always different. The rules for this one took him a little longer but he loves the game.

Forbidden Island(Desert) - This is one of his favorites because we all play against the game as a team and he loves the we all help each other. He has a pretty good handle on F. Island so we recently got F. Desert which is a tougher game (still haven't beaten it but he loves the process of both.

Those are just a few of the games we started him on. He has since played Agricola and Caverna and while he hasn't won a game of either yet he loves building his own placemat farm/dwelling.